Author Topic: How do you make wood litter last and be as economical as it claims!  (Read 2515 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: How do you make wood litter last and be as economical as it claims!
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 08:06:59 AM »
Batleys is a cash and carry Gill.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 23:07:50 PM »
This Batleys sells Smartcat?

What is Batleys?

Offline Mildred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 22:22:50 PM »
We use a wood pellet litter and a 30l bag lasts about ten to fourteen days with my six cats.
Have got a garden sieve which makes a difference!!

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 10:52:53 AM »

I would think that could well be true in tests, especially for one cat.  We use Beautycat and Mayfield Woodbase which we get from Batleys. With wood litter (the brands we use anyway)  there should be no smell of urine, if there is then we always advise a trip to the vets for the little one. When I home a cat I always pick up the tray and put it under my nose to show the prospective adopter that there is no smell (I purposely make sure there are some weesee in the tray if I know someone is coming to adopt) and then offer it to them to smell, the pic of some of their faces is a delight. Over the years I must have tried every cat litter known to man and I can honestly say that I know of no other litter that I cannot smell urine and I cannot stand it.

I never put fresh litter on old litter, all one needs to do is place a thin layer in the bottom of the tray, remove the dumps as soon as I smell notice them. When the litter turns to dust I just take it all out, wash the tray and start again.

35 days??
Like Ela, I get myine from Batley so it smartcat or the best pets at £5 a bag. However I must get through 3 - 4 bags a week easy with the 12 cats here. sometimes more.
I use a thin layer, remove solids (or semisolids) as I notice and then change the rest when there is a lot of powder - or when the cats refuse to use the tray which is after a few days for some of the lesser used ones.
Ideally, I  change and wash out the trays every day - I can't imagine not flushing the loo for a day and feeling happy using it! and cats can be so fastidious.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 08:04:20 AM »
i had a bag that says 1 cat 1 bag = 35 days

I would think that could well be true in tests, especially for one cat.  We use Beautycat and Mayfield Woodbase which we get from Batleys. With wood litter (the brands we use anyway)  there should be no smell of urine, if there is then we always advise a trip to the vets for the little one. When I home a cat I always pick up the tray and put it under my nose to show the prospective adopter that there is no smell (I purposely make sure there are some weesee in the tray if I know someone is coming to adopt) and then offer it to them to smell, the pic of some of their faces is a delight. Over the years I must have tried every cat litter known to man and I can honestly say that I know of no other litter that I cannot smell urine and I cannot stand it.

I never put fresh litter on old litter, all one needs to do is place a thin layer in the bottom of the tray, remove the dumps as soon as I smell notice them. When the litter turns to dust I just take it all out, wash the tray and start again.

It costs me £20 for 2 bags which is a £1 a bag cheaper than my previous Petshop, who said they couldn't get it any more.

That is about right for shop prices, a few weeks ago and for a few weeks  there was a shortage of wood litter, Our wholesalers would only allow us 5 bags at a time, not good when  about 4 fosterer's order 30 bags at a time,  thankfully the situation is now back to normal.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 22:48:36 PM »
One of the things about wood pellets is that you need a really good one or it goes very fast. I scoop out the used bits and as much of dust as I can and a 30 litre sack is lasting about a month cos two cats are now using it.

I use the one that in my opinion is the best one around which is Smartcat but you need to order through a petshop as it is not sold in supermarkets, online is now too costly cos of the postage.

It costs me £20 for 2 bags which is a £1 a bag cheaper than my previous Petshop, who said they couldnt get it any more.

I had another make from there and it was useless and largest bag was under half the size and more expensive and it all just dissolved  and vanished far too quickly. It also did not smell as nice and I finally understood what peeps here had said about the smell of wet wood!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 20:15:14 PM »
i was sieving trays before so I didn't have to fully empty one tray, as there was quite a lot of 'good' pellets in there!! Glad I am not the only one who does it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 19:35:42 PM »
It has to be pellets or it wont be used  :doh: or id definately be using cats best, i think its great but not all the cats do  :tired:

As you know I use Yesterdays News most of the time but I have used the wood pellets and they drive me mad,  completely turn to sawdust everytime a cat wees in there,  I think I got about 2 days use out of a mssive bag and the tracking on the wood pellets drives me insane,  sawdust all over the bl :censored: :censored:y house.

:hairrasin:

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 11:06:14 AM »
As you know I use Yesterdays News most of the time but I have used the wood pellets and they drive me mad,  completely turn to sawdust everytime a cat wees in there,  I think I got about 2 days use out of a mssive bag and the tracking on the wood pellets drives me insane,  sawdust all over the bl :censored: :censored:y house.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 20:55:40 PM »
I used a good scoop to get the wee bit out, unfortunately it would leave me with little litter. I do like woodpellets but once I started using OKO I never looked back. Lexy loves it as she can cover all her poop (she won't with wood pellets), and it lasts for ages. What I used to use for odour control which works wonders is Simply Solution Odour control spray. It smells like marzipan and you just spray it over the pellets when you've scooped and it stops any odours that may seep through.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 20:43:17 PM »
I try that method when im being held hostage - her balancing on shoulders  :scared: have to do something once i have bent over and been launched at  :Luv2:
The wee dust spreads some distance too  :tired:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 20:10:27 PM »
Thin layer in the bottom and get a litter scoop and seive the litter - a bit time consuming but you can sift all th clean pelelts to one side and then scoop the rest 0 we have 18 liter trays with sawdust pellets and a big bag lasts us 3 weeks - we seive a lot! :shocked:

Our other litter trays contain clumping for 3 ferals who will use nothing else and 2 with paper for yet another 2 ferals :shocked:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
How do you make wood litter last and be as economical as it claims!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 20:05:36 PM »
I have need for wood pellets at the moment ( im a clumping litter user normally) the thing is its cheap but its being used at such high speed. Eg i had a bag that says 1 cat 1 bag = 35 days, i got little more than 2 weeks out of it!  :evillaugh:
Its not that the cat pees alot but once the pellets turn to dust it means they smell of pee and i remove, the bag says to shake tray to bring fresh litter to the top, and then what, am i supposed to leave the pee dust in there?  :shocked: :sick: :sick:
So i put a thinner layer in and chuck it all once or twice a day, is there any better method?
Il be going back to yesterdays news for her when i use up what i have, but may have to resort back to wood at times as its harder to get paper without getting a delivery.

Link to CatChat