Author Topic: A Poem for Polly.  (Read 4035 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: A Poem for Polly.
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 03:29:01 AM »
Willing you the time when you can look back on Polly and your special relationship with happiness, knowing that with you she could express her lovingness that with other's she could not share....That is very precious!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 03:05:12 AM »
Sam is getting lots of fuss. She's still sad, but allowing Fred and Victoria to get closer to her. Victoria is becoming very affectionate with me, she seemed aloof before. Fred misses Polly a little too and sits where she used to.

It's so hard to get used to the idea that I'll never see her come through the cat flap again and do all the Polly things only she and I shared. She used to touch my nose with hers and rub the side of her face on my glasses. Little things like that I'm realising will never happen again.  :(

Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 07:04:30 AM »
Hed always been very much the No. 2 cat - Lucky was a pretty dominant character  ;) :Luv:   Now Gizmo  was an "only cat" and he became very cuddly and playful - far more than when Lucky was about.

So, just maybe, something good will come from such a sad time  :hug:  :)

I agree we have found that, very often the lone cat will start to enjoy all the attention although it's sad to hear that Sam is so low right now so I do hope she soon starts to feel better, give her a cuddle from me  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 08:22:43 AM »
Dont feel bad about it, (you cant help it  :hug:,) but I expect Sam is picking up on how you feel.  As well as missing Polly.  And it really does "ease" with time. 

When Gizmo's lifelong friend, Lucky, went - Gizmo was very down at first. 

Slowly he picked up and returned to his usual self.  Then, he began to "come out of himself" and we saw whole new aspects of his character.  Hed always been very much the No. 2 cat - Lucky was a pretty dominant character  ;) :Luv:   Now Gizmo  was an "only cat" and he became very cuddly and playful - far more than when Lucky was about.

So, just maybe, something good will come from such a sad time  :hug:  :)
People Power Works!!!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 03:04:42 AM »
I went to the butcher's and bought Sam some sliced turkey. This has got her eating again, though she's still depressed.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 23:10:37 PM »
I'm a bit worried about Samantha, she seems to be grieving too. She and Polly were best friends for approximately 16 years, since they met at the rescue from which I brought them home. Samantha seems depressed and has stopped eating. Should I take her to the vet? Or will she pull out of this fairly quickly?

Like you, Wibble, I still remember Max; a big cuddly black and white maine-coon type I loved to bits. He died in 1993 and broke my heart. Friends encouraged me to have another cat, which was when Samantha and Polly came into my life. I try not to think about him too much. He was only about 6 when he developed cancer of the mouth and eventually had to be pts. It never stops hurting, but eases a little. I have 5 cats buried in my garden now, each and every one of them was loved. Grissel, Bella, Minnie, Max and Polly. RIP.  :'(

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 15:40:11 PM »
All those things you are remembering will make you feel sad and remind you of your loss at present, but in time they will be things you remember without the pain. 

My "bestist cuddle-cat" - Gizmo - died 8 years ago, but there is still a sense of loss.

I went into a pet shop today to buy some cat treats - I left when I saw they were selling kittens - and a black and white one who reminded me of Gizmo.  I walked into the door 'cos I had eyes full of tears ...... :-[

You did the kindest possible thing for Polly and as the others have said, she is free, at peace and has no pain now.  What greater gift could you give ?  :hug:
People Power Works!!!

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 10:56:49 AM »
Thats so sad, I dont know how you stayed strong through that  :(  :hug:

RIP Polly, free at Rainbow Bridge xxx
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 00:31:27 AM »
RIP Sweet Polly...play hard at the Bridge x

:grouphug: to you all x

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 22:20:25 PM »
Thank you for the pic of Bastet.

I keep remembering little things Polly did or liked. I was using my mobile phone earlier. She used to love the beeps the keys made. I've turned the beeps off now. Everytime I send a text, I'll think of her. Last night, I was round at a cat-owning friend's house watching Eurovision. One of her cats sat on my lap and began kneading gently; I remembered how softly Polly did this, never extending her claws. All these little things make her loss more painful.

I know it will ease in time and I will slowly accustom to her absence, but right now she's left a huge Polly-shaped hole in many lives, including the other cats who also miss her.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 20:57:19 PM »
Godbless Polly, at peace now little one xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 20:26:38 PM »
Polly sounds like she was a  strong, independent personality.

RIP, Polly, your mum will miss you very much. :RIP:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 19:39:26 PM »
RIP Polly you are at peace now and nothing will hurt you ever again

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 19:34:36 PM »
Yes, its upsetting, but what a powerful piece of writing.  Reminds me of "Do not go gentle into that good night" by Dylan Thomas   http://www.bigeye.com/donotgo.htm

I think putting feelings down on paper (or computer :)) can be very cathartic

My deepest sympathies on Polly's death  :hug: :hug: :hug:
People Power Works!!!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
A Poem for Polly.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 19:20:28 PM »
Polly was pts in the early hours of wednesday. See the post about her death here:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,24805.0.html

She had a seizure which was violent and unending, so the final decision was made.

It's very hard coming to terms with her loss and the way she died. I wrote this to try to ameliorate the pain. Sorry it's such awful writing. It may upset.

POLLY’S LAST STAND

Polly raged at death
with the spasms of her limbs kicking and running
away.

She arched herself from him,
disappeared into her mind to
delude him.

Scratched and tore his face,
bit with toothless gums
sharp with canines
again.

Lashed spat and clawed.
Bristled big
bites gnashing and gnashing.
Eyes wide with fury and fear.

Running and running her legs
as she fled
his touch.
Into her mind crawled deeper,
deeper,
an ostriche into sand she hid herself.

Slowly, deliberately, he came
scythe in hand,
closer.
Immune to claws,
not fooled by her paws’ spasms.

He came in dead of night,
feet plod one
plod the other,

unstoppable.

But Polly fought
until the vet
stole her last breath
and sent her home
to Bastet.

Link to CatChat