Author Topic: RIP baby Max: PLEASE READ UPDATE THREAD  (Read 73433 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
the lab results may be back tonight or else it will be next week. The in house ones are worse. Max's creatinine is up to 460 again. It was 340 when he was discharged and over 550 when admitted. The vet wants to put him on fortekor next week and I have a sub cut fluid kit and must read up how to do it. He showed me quickly but I want to get it right and need to work out how to measure the amount.
I am taking a urine sample down now as he couldn't express Max, but Max weed as soon as he got home. He also ate a normal dry food meal and he looks ok but the numbers say different.

I will pm later Chrissie, I am just so upset.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Fingers crossed for today - will you get the results back today?
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Try to think positive Kate and we all are sending pos vibes that Max's bloods will show improvement.  Will be thinking of you xxxx

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
Sending positive vibes for much improved blood results tomorrow  :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
He ate some dry food by himself a short while ago, but no wees since 10.30 this morning - when he went after I'd squeezed his tum for about 10 mins while he purred. I've been syringing water into him as all afternoon he's decided to sleep in his bed.
I am very nervous about tomorrow.

He is seeming to prefer the dry of his own accord....I would let some water saturate the dry (so it expands) and see if he is able to eat them like that!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Thinking of you all! x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
He ate some dry food by himself a short while ago, but no wees since 10.30 this morning - when he went after I'd squeezed his tum for about 10 mins while he purred. I've been syringing water into him as all afternoon he's decided to sleep in his bed.
I am very nervous about tomorrow.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
Good luck with the results , hope they are much better :hug: :hug:

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
 :hug: hope things go well xx

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
Hope the bloods come back and they are ok :hug:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Aw what a brilliant patient boy Max is!  :Luv: :hug:

Good luck for his bloods!  :wish:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
thanks everyone again  :hug:  Max is going in at 9 tomorrow to have some more bloods done. then we'll know what we are up against. He ate some dry food this morning and I will give him an assist feed of NF later on as the vet is very gloomy if he won't eat wet. So if he won't eat wet, he'll be given it. As long as he is happy in himself (which right now he is). I googled how to express a bladder last night as he isn't weeing too often - more than 8 hours - and he loved having his tummy squeezed gently but I didn't manage to express him, although he then did go by himself as it encouraged him. At one point he lay down in the (clean, luckily) litter tray purring while I was trying to express him!

Sweet little boy lay next to me for a couple of hours from 6am this morning until I got up. I have classic FM on all day for him too.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
He is eating and thats what matters  :hug: :hug:

I spent two years crawling around on my knees feeding Kocka, one lick and she would move but it was worth it to get her to eat.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Im glad to hear your managing to get Max to eat from your fingers / spoon, hopefully with having a little bit of food he will begin to feel better and start to eat on his own, still sending those positive vibes for both the boys and hugs for you :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Sending more good vibes for Max.  :hug: :hug:

and from me too  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
Sending more good vibes for Max.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Thinking of you all and sending tons of good vibes your way~~~~~~~ :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline nicter

• Senior Cat
  • Nicky-Mum to Scamp Bonnie, Willum Rossi & Poppet
  • Slave to: Alfie. Poppet. Rossi. Willum Merlin
Do hope hes soon feeling better Youre stress levels must be sky high.  :hug: xx
RIP Tigger Button Whisky Maisie, Merlin and Alfie Pawprints on my heart forever

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
I am sorry to hear Max isn't eating on his own but at least he is getting something from you feeding him.  Big hugs and huge vibes coming your way x

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Aww poor Max, I don't know what to suggest but I hope he starts eating soon  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
he's not eating on his own at all. But at least I can control what he is eating I suppose (looking on the bright side?). He is assist fed NF renal. The tin is ridiculously huge though, he'll not get through it in 36 hours which is what it says you can keep it open for. He cleaned Swampy today so I hope the food is helping him to feel a little better. He is due for bloods on friday at 9am.

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
So sorry to hear about Max, sending hugs and furry head-butts.

Hope he perks up and starts eating soon.  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
thanks, I've emailed the vet but so far no reply. Max has decided to eat a little teeny bit of dry food (his old food, thanks for suggesting I leave it down Desley) but nothing else. He's gone off Applaws for the moment.
So last night I watched him and he came to the kitchen, put his head in the food bowls and then went 'naaaa'. I think he was hungry but just wouldn't eat. So I sat him on my lap and gave him a few teaspoons of watered down purina NF which is easy to spoon. He wasn't thrilled but he didn't really mind that much, although spilled quite a lot of it on me. This morning he did the same thing. Cry for food, then refuse it, so I did the NF thing again. It's renal food and presumably has quite a few calories? He had about 1/2 saucer of thinly spread out food this morning or about 10x back of little teaspoons. He had a little game with me afterwards where he snaps at my finger while I circle his mouth, and then he lay on me and purred so I think a bit of food made him feel better.
 I couldn't wait to hear from the vet, but I think what I am doing is ok. At least he is eating something.  He's had a few drinks and a wee by himself too and is now asleep. I have to give him Pepcid later.

The only thing is the longer I have to do this, the more resistant he is going to get. I give a bit, then cuddle him, then give a bit more, but try to get the whole thing done in 5 mins. I think the teaspoon or finger is easier than a syringe which would freak him. He hates a/d and NF is just as easy with water added. I suppose doing this 2 or 3x a day would give him enough and then we hope he starts eating alone again?

They don't make a small NF tin do they as it is enormous?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Have you tried changing his bowls, in case he has suddenly developed an aversion to it? Maybe raising his food bowl if he is nauseous? Do you have any SEB in? I would definitely ask teh vet how much food before assist feeding, and do make sure to tell him some of the food is complimentary, not complete as that might make it slightly different - the last thing you want is to risk liver issues. Have you tried him on A/D?
Please spay your cat

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
So sorry Max is still not eating Kate i wish i could think of something to help, will continue to send healing vibes for both Max and Swampy :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
thanks, I'll ask about vit B too. He may have had a jab while in hospital but if not, maybe he can have one or I can give him tablets. He ate a microscopic amount of Purely dry chicken, which I put out to see if it would tempt him (yes, but not much) and when I came home, one of them had eaten about a little square inch of NF. I weighed him and he is 5kgs. He was 5.3 in hospital. I've had classic FM on all afternoon to try to calm him down. I had to rub his tummy to get him to get up and wee, but he did a strong stream.
I've asked the vet about assisted feeding and when it would def be necessary as I want to do it only when he needs it as it will stress him out further.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Sorry Kate, my mistake the tablets are for vomitting!  :shy:

Hope something can be found soon!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

• Royal Cat
I'm so sorry Max is still not eating. :hug:  This is a bit of a long shot but I've read somewhere recently that failure to eat despite interest in food can be a sign of thiamine deficiency.  Vitamin B is a water soluble vitamin so as he's been having a lot of fluids recently to flush his kidneys (and not much food) its possible he could be deficient.  As I said, a long shot, but vitamin B is a non toxic vitamin so could be worth asking the vet whether he thinks it would help (they can give it by injection).

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
I'll ask him, thanks. Is it for general inappetance and nausea or just vomiting as he's not vomiting much? I will send him the link I found on google too.  Max miaowed a lot a short time ago and managed to eat about a teaspoon of Applaws but refused NF (he ate a little NF in hospital). It looks like he thinks about eating, then doesn't want to.
He turned his nose up at egg completely. I will try the cod tonight. Poor little boy is more subdued than yesterday so I think he is getting weaker but when I fuss and kiss him, he is purring nicely. Please keep the vibes and prayers coming for my little one.  Unless we have an urgent situation (possible), he is due for more bloods on Friday. I don't know how long I can leave him eating under 1 little can of Applaws a day before I have to stress him out by assist feeding?

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Can you pill him Kate? I got Cerenia 16mg from my vet for my almost 18 yo Teddie (cat) They are for dogs and are being trialed on cats (you have to sign a concent form) I give her half a tab every other day and they are working a treat (she has not been sick in approx 6 weeks!) She also has kidney issues....anything is worth a go I suppose!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
The laurabolin hasn't had any effect that I can see. He came to the kitchen at 5am and ate about 3 dry pellets then stopped. So no he's not eating his dry. Then he did eat 1/2 little can Applaws at 7am so that may be it for the day. I tried some other food as he seemed 'maybe' interested but he had a lick and did his phobic food avoidance thing again.
The vet has told me to give him Pepcid for the nausea. He didn't suggest anything else. I am to give it mid morning and then try to feed him about 3 - 4 hours later. I don't want to freak him with assisted eating until it's absolutely necessary.

i will have to email the vet and hope he concentrates as he was too busy last night in surgery and the appointment wasn't a success. I am so worried. Max though DOES go on hunger strike when he's upset so I must keep him calm as much as possible in order to be sure how much is nausea and how much stress. I think probably 80% nausea but am not sure. He is very tense.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
Come on Max we are all willing you to eat for Mum :Luv: and Swampy needs you to get better as well :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
You could even try soaking the dry food so it expands....anything is worth a go!  :Luv: :hug:

C'mon Max you can do it!  :Luv:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
I don't know how much is nausea and how much is nerves.

It does sound like nausea Kate, has the vet given him anything for that? Will he even eat his dry?  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
the food phobia is back tonight. He wouldn't touch the yoghurt pot, but jumped out of bed to get away from it. Only a teaspoon of Applaws, that's it. The laurabolin and the vet's visit seem to have made him feel worse. I don't know how much is nausea and how much is nerves. I am a bit at my wit's end to be honest. He comes to the kitchen and seemingly wants to eat, then refuses to touch anything. I will have to assist feed if he doesn't eat in the morning.
He hadn't wee'd since 4 so I pressed his bladder again and then he went to the tray, but I can't do that every time. He really isn't an easy patient is Max.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
Sending some healing vibes for Max  that he soon starts to eat again  :hug:

• Royal Cat

I'd tried to express his bladder unsuccessfully (he sat in the pootray and purred!)

Aw bless :Luv2:  Sending lots of positive vibes for him to start eating soon. I think we all know how soul destroying it is when a cat wont eat.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
He might feel more like eating when the Pepcid gets to work.  Hope so  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
He ate a teeny bit himself today of i/d, then Applaws, then amazingly a teaspoon of k/d but a lot of food is being wasted and he just won't eat it. He saw the vet but only very quickly (quick sub cuts, not much) and had a laurabolin injection. I hope it improves his appetite. If all goes ok this week, he will have bloods again on friday, but right now that feels a long way off. The vet said he was looking good, which he is. It's just the vomiting (he has to have Pepcid) foamy stuff and the inappetance. So we just keep trying. Sardines are still banned though.

I had to wake him up to take him. I'd tried to express his bladder unsuccessfully (he sat in the pootray and purred!) but soon after that he did go, so must have been pressing in vaguely the right area.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
I think if Max is eating a little thats a start cos his tummy will not be used to food right now. You need to take it slowly and carefully now and lots or even a few little meals will be best for him.

I know Franta does not eat well bvut is getting more hungry for jelly cos he wont eat meat and then he eats biscuits which is only place he gets complete food..........unless the jelly has some completeness in it......sigh

Problem eaters are so hard but when a little food goes in and stays thats great  ;D

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
Thinking of you and Max.
The pet shop near my place sells almo nature not sure if i have seen the senior one though but i can check, if you want i can get you few to try for Max. Let me know.
Hope the vet visit goes well. :hug: :hug:

Link to CatChat