Author Topic: RIP baby Max: PLEASE READ UPDATE THREAD  (Read 73427 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Aw bless him....Please give him head rubs from our lot and me!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
 :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
He was stressed and hidden in his blue blankie this morning. No food in the cage so I assumed he was having bloods done, but apparently not so I left his chicken. They just don't want him overfed which is a bit odd and he ate a little Applaws at 8 today. I will try to handfeed him some fresh chicken later on, poor little boy. He has 2 cats in hospital with him. Archie who is lovely and ginger and quiet and another one who is noisy, so that could be what he's stressing about.
He'd also peed all over my t shirt so they are going to wash it and I'll take another in later on. I put my hand under the blanket and stroked his head and ears and was rewarded with a loud purr.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Im glad to hear Max is coping at the vets and pray he may continue to and that this new medication helps him :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
 :care: :grouphug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
 :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
I didn't see the vet tonight but the young nurse told me he's now on fortekor. I'm nervous about that. Max was bright and happy and purred so sweetly for me. It is all so hard to believe when he is like that. We shared a yoghurt and it was just lovely to hold him and cuddle him for a while but I am so tired. Swampy is restless without him.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
It's such a shame Max only does well in hospital.  I hope the Fortekor will help him and maybe discuss the medication Mark suggested?  Hope you have some quality time with him and that Swampy doesn't miss him too much.  Hope, too, that you are managing to look after yourself, drinking your funny tea and getting some rest.
Big hugs and loads of postiive thoughts hurtling your way  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
It seems I'm fated to have cats that look fine but aren't. It is so odd. I just got told by the vet that it would help Max if he was a bit thinner - in a terrible CRF cat. He is eating in hospital and seems cheery this morning. Anyhow I got lots of purrs and his ginger neighbour up top isn't bothering him and it was quiet in there. I am going back after 4.  What is so so hard to take is a cat doing so well on a drip and then refusing to eat and his numbers climbing as soon as he's off it, but of course he can't live in hospital.

The vet is putting Max on fortekor as he and the other vet said it could offer a slim hope if it works. I said ok because what can I do. We only spoke for a couple of mins between consults so I hope to chat more to him later on if possible. The urine culture came back with no infection but he suddenly has +++ blood in his urine because (probably) of his kidney failure.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Fingers crossed the antibiotics make some difference and you can have some more time with him.
Please spay your cat

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
thanks, bless all of you  :hug: :hug:

Max was more stressed today. He had a dog in next door. They'd put a blanket over her cage as she's a snappy dog apparently but he wouldn't come out of his cage as it made him hiss and get stressy, so I just sat with him and sang to him and he had a good purr in there and ate a little chicken. One of the nurses has given him an old bed to sleep in and he has his blue blankie from home and my sleep T shirt. I wanted so much to hold him but had to make do with stroking him. He looked ok, really not bad at all. He just doesn't look terribly ill while in there. That makes it even harder.

there was also another dog singing loudly down the way. I hope there are no dogs in tomorrow as it really upsets him. I hope to go and see Max in the morning for a little bit then more later on in the afternoon.

Mark - I will defo ask the vet about Rubenal. The usual vet is back at work tomorrow, flu or no flu. I know they are wondering about fortekor (him and the locum) as it may be too late or alternatively it could help IF there is some kidney function left. They are of course guessing on the % left, but know it is very low.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 22:48:34 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Oh Kate im so sorry, you must be devastated to hear this news :( i really dont know what to say except hang in there and try to stay calm and positive,im sending mega positive vibes for you all especially Max and of course Swampy :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Just popped on to top up the positive vibes for Maxy boy  :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
 :hug: :hug: Thinking of you and Max.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Sorry Kate to hear this news......Thinking of you all!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
 :hug: oh dear it's hard to have to hear news like that, so sorry  xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
So sorry Kate,  :hug: at least the fluids and antibiotics will give him a bit of a boost and buy you a bit of time to make your decision over the next week.  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Sorry Kate - I don't know what to say. It must be so hard with both of them ill  :hug:

Is your vet familiar with Rubenal? - it is supposed to help the Kidneys. This is the best description I could find on it.

I asked my vet the other week and he had never heard of it.

http://www.myonlinevet.co.uk/rubenal-75mg-x-60-tablets.html
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
I'm keeping everything crossed for you all  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
 :hug: :hug: Try to hang on in there and see how he goes this week. Huge mountains of positive love and vibes coming your way and you know where I am if you need a chat Kate  :hug: :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
I spoke to the vet today. She thinks that Max is in end stage CRf, kicked in by an acute episode and that too many of his nephrons have died so although he looks well, as soon as he is off the drip he will deteriorate over days or maybe weeks. But she thinks that it is worth treating him in hospital this week on a drip to give him every chance and he will be put on antibiotics just in case any infection is making it worse. I don't know how I managed to be calm but I was, but she thinks that we will bring our Maxi home and won't have long with him.  It's not classic, gradual CRF where sub cuts will help a lot as the problem is controllable. She said that it's not right in her opinion to take a decision now as he should have this week's treatment because unless they biopsy (which they won't) they don't know for sure how much kidney function is left.

Max was fine a month ago. I don't think I can bear it, it's all too much with both boys.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Hope poor Max is soon better  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Hoping Max improves.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Sending tons of positive healing vibes to Max~~~~~~ :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
lots of love to max  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
Sending Max lots of good vibes. :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Bless  him, hope he has a good night and is feeling better tomorrow.  Big hug for you xxx  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Max was very stressed when I arrived. They seem to have used the same paw and he'd got off the bandage and I think it is sore. The usual vet has bad flu but is supposed to check on Max tonight, so I hope he will be well enough to do so.  I did manage to get some food down him, mostly a little fresh chicken and nearly 1/2 a small can of  Applaws (stress eating basically I think) and put him in his bed with my best T shirt as I forgot his blanket when I went with all his meds. I also gave him his meds as it's a little less stressful for him if I do that. Plus pms they only have 1 nurse on duty. Tonight it was the young one who is also the least experienced. I am very worried. I didn't get to speak to the vet but I know that his bloods will be 500+ if they were 600 in house. It does sound acute to me as it's only a month ago that he was fine. The thing is whether the kidneys are so damaged that they can recover at 15 years old. I can't help wondering if he shouldn't be on abs or something too just in case it is being fueled by an infection, but I'm not a vet.

I'll go back and see him tomorrow. I told him that the lovely Purrs people had sent their love and he was physically alone but not alone at all. But he is sleeping or lying in his litter tray. The only time I've seen that is when I went (only once) to a cat show and the cats were all stressed and that's what they were doing. I must take his blankie tomorrow.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Sorry that his creatinine is up so high again, it does sound like acute rather than chronic doesnt it? Hope the fluids can bring it down again and he can be stablised again.  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
Im sorry i dont have the answer either, all i can do is send those positve vibes by the lorry load to Max and of course to Swampy, try to stay strong and positive, hes in the best place and im sure he will cope again :hug: :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
I don't understand those results either sweetie  :hug:

Sending lots more vibes to Max, hopefully being on the drip will help him again and bring his creatinine down again somehow.  Hugs to Swampy as well, I'm sure he's wondering where his buddy is again this afternoon  :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Poor poor Max and poor poor you and Swampy.  I have no answers Kate but am sending every available positive thought and vibe I can for Max.  Don't worry about the stress he was fine in hospital after his initial rumpus last time and it is the best place for him in the circumstances.  Stay strong and as positive as you can we are all here for you and behind you and your babies as ever. xxxx :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Max's creatinine was over 600. He is in hospital on a drip again. The vet is gloomy as he is also pale, which I noticed on saturday and it's not long since he was discharged and his numbers can't stay down. I just can't stop crying as every time I go into the bedroom there's a little dent on the blue blanket where he was asleep this morning and he even attacked my finger in a little game, although he wouldn't eat. I promised him I'd bring him home but I couldn't do that. I must hold together for my Swampy but it's so hard. Swampy is crying a lot so I'm going to take him on the roof. I'll visit my Max boy at 4.30 for an hour or so.
Please send him and Swampy your vibes and prayers.

can anyone explain why he is so bad with his kidneys when his phosphorus is normal and he has minimal protein in his urine? It just doesn't seem like 'normal' CRF
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 12:37:14 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
Hope all goes well at the vets today, fingers crossed and sending lots of positive vibes for Max :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Good Luck with the locum today Kate....Hope the boy picks up!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
no so he is going to see the locum today. He only will eat about 1 - 2 inches of food off the plate and was crying at 2.30am (normally sleeps well). I need to know if his kidneys are the same as last wed or if he's worse. My usual vet is ill so no guarantee he will be back on wed when Max had a scheduled blood test appointment. Max is now down to 5kgs as I just can't assist feed him too often and have to rely on him eating a bit himself - he did yesterday. He ate a tiny plate of i/d in 2 gos in the morning and 1/4 can of Applaws at midnight but nothing really to talk about today. He isn't dehydrated so it is all really odd and difficult. I am so scared that the locum will hospitalise him and he will deteriorate from stress.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Glad to hear he is peeing by himself - what a relief that must be,.  Hopefully he will soon start eating too:)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Hope he is on the up Kate....at least he is getting something inside him and peeing on his own is fantastic!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Mr Max has peed on his own but only eaten a very little so I've had to give him 2 plates of NF with a teaspoon, poor little guy. He got so upset with me as we did a little sub cuts earlier too and he does associate me with a wary look = what's she going to do now, as I have to give him Istin and Kaminox now too. But it's only a few minutes and it helps him, so have to do it. He wouldn't go outside, but rolled himself up on 'his' windowsill under the cushion and had a lovely long zzzz. He's now in bed with Swampy and seems calm and not too bad, thanks.

Link to CatChat