Author Topic: RSPCA  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: RSPCA
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 00:03:20 AM »
No Angie but it is correct they are not allowed to be released again into the wild....but bet it happens ....they are classed as animals that are not native to this country. How long it takes for something to become to become a native I am not sure...............................

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 12:50:50 PM »
I thought Squirrels were classed as vermin and PTS as a matter of routine.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 10:02:58 AM »
Grey squirrels are kept captive if nursed back to health by anyone.

Our local RSPCA "don't accept strays...." (Of course, it's likely they were once someones pet, but apparently that's irrelevant.)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 09:28:17 AM »
I know of a local vet here that automatically PTS any wildlife taken in. The vet next door to me is different. I asked the shop owner to take in an injured pigeon I found last year and they gave her a number in case she wanted to check how it was. Also one of the VNs takes animals home as she runs a sanctuary. They have also refused to PTS healthy cats such as one Sharon rehomed.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
So so glad I turned down the Inspectors job.  >:(     Never a day goes by where I regret it as always come across something.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
RSPCA
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »
I meant to post this last week but with everything going on with the lost cat Muppet i forgot,                            Last week on my way home from work i found an injured squirrel so took it to the vets i pass on the way home,the local RSPCA inspector was there and when i explained about the squirrel the vet nurse took him and said they would PTS i asked why this was and she replied that the rspca would insist as it was a wild animal, i was livid and insisted that they look at it to see if it could be helped, i also insisted on going in with them while this was done,the vet was really nice and took care to look at him ,unfortunately his back was broken and there was nothing they could do except pts,as i left i asked the nurse if this was standard policy to pts and she replied that in the majority of cases the answer was YES, she actually had taken 2 cats that were going to be pts (1 was only a kitten ) as they were strays and unless they are healthy young cats the policy is PTS >:( >:(
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Link to CatChat