Author Topic: insurance small print T&Cs: Animal Friends  (Read 4005 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: insurance small print T&Cs: Animal Friends
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 23:09:06 PM »
thanks rosella  ;D

my insrance doesnt run out until late october and if misa needs to go back it will be in next few days but am hoping not.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 21:38:06 PM »
Yesterday Misa was at vets and bill paid by me so far is £55 and not worth making a claim but if he goes back for more treatment then claim will be made covering all treatment but again first £50 will be paid by me.

Hi Gill.  Cost of vet visit for Billy's eye in January was about £57.  I still made a Axa claim for the £7 above excess though in case it came back as so easy to go outside 6 month claim period without thinking.  Yes I know that he's had the eye problem again but just can't face bringing him back as I was hoping it would go away by itself, keeps coming back unfortunately and may soon have to bite bullet again  :scared:  For those not "in the know", being picked up is not Billy's thang  ;)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 17:55:44 PM »
thanks, so it seems standard that each continuing illness or condition has an annual fee then (payable off/deducted from the first claim settlement after the policy renewal date) to keep the cover going and top up the cover to £5000 pa per condition (or whatever your limit is). I just got a shock as pay 35% of every claim as excess as well. In the past E&L just took £49 per new condition and rolled over the continuing illness claims into the next year without any additional £49 charge. I'm still very glad that I have insurance even if the 35% can be hard going. I wish they paid for prescription food like k/d as that is a major expense.

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 16:50:27 PM »
Excess is only paid by you when making a claim and is the first £50 of the first claim in a year for a particular illness.

ie Franta was ill last year with kidney and  eating related problems and bill was around £700, the first £50 was payable by me. This year he has had a neuro problem and the bill across two vets was about £500 but because it was different problem , first £50 was payable by me.

Yesterday Misa was at vets and bill paid by me so far is £55 and not worth making a claim but if he goes back for more treatment then claim will be made covering all treatment but again first £50 will be paid by me.

Thanks Gill, feel a bit thick now lol  :evillaugh:

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 14:31:12 PM »
With Axa, for ongoing conditions like Max's kidney and thyroid, its £50 excess per year, per condition, and from what I was told by the vet, that's very standard?

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 12:56:09 PM »
Excess is only paid by you when making a claim and is the first £50 of the first claim in a year for a particular illness.

ie Franta was ill last year with kidney and  eating related problems and bill was around £700, the first £50 was payable by me. This year he has had a neuro problem and the bill across two vets was about £500 but because it was different problem , first £50 was payable by me.

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 09:36:52 AM »
Do Axa charge it if you have not claimed that year?

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 09:18:40 AM »
Yes Axa charge the excess per condition per annum

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 07:49:42 AM »
That is standard, you pay the excess every year, I thought all insurance companies were like that.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 00:03:09 AM »
i believe that axa will charge the excess when the policy renews each year too.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 18:48:02 PM »
Im sure that most polices charge an excess per condition each year that you claim for it

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 17:56:14 PM »
I'm still paying just under £13 each until August to meet E&L's offer when AFI moved underwriter. Then I am fearing the worst in price hikes. It probably is standard practice and AFI have been ok so far. Just a shock when the bills are mounting up and no cheque to make me feel better as their settlement now goes straight to the vet (I'd run up a large running bill there so they gently suggested reimbursement to them!). I used to like getting the cheques, even if I then had to go and pay the vet with the money!

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 17:49:12 PM »
More than take the excess every year for Mogs insurance. Then again they also put the premium by more than I claimed for the following year >:(
Again as Im tied in and now pay £21.99 a month Im not pleased but totally stuck
love
Tab

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
insurance small print T&Cs: Animal Friends
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 15:46:21 PM »
just got my latest claim notification back. Animal Friends took an excess of £49 per condition (2 conditions CRF and head trauma) plus their usual 35% excess. When I queried it, they said the £49, normally payable ONLY for new conditions, was because in late February my policy was renewed and it was taken annually to allow for the £5000 per condition per year to be carried over. They say it is in their T&Cs (very small print more like) and that if (the much maligned) E&L never took it each year, which they didn't  (this they volunteered themselves so I reckon they've had lots of customer queries/complaints), then "that's up to them, nothing to do with us". She sounded like she was reading from a script. There's nothing I can do as am locked into AFI and they have, so far, paid up for the home treatment which is what Swampy has to have now.

Warning: read the small print on continuing conditions for unforeseen excesses.....do any other insurers do this? (not that I could move). I'm just shocked that it's an unexpected £100 loss :(

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 15:47:11 PM by swampmaxmum »

Link to CatChat