Author Topic: Vegetarian cat food - just so wrong  (Read 2637 times)

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Vegetarian cat food - just so wrong
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 12:28:21 PM »
How can it be better if it has no meat at all in it? At least Go Cat does have some meat in it.

No colours/articial preservatives etc.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 12:12:28 PM »
How can it be better if it has no meat at all in it? At least Go Cat does have some meat in it.

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 11:53:54 AM »
Its not much different to Go Cat etc which many people feed and they are not repulsed at for doing so...
Not justifying it but all pet food is fortified, the cooking process destroys alot

Actually i agree with that, having looked at the ingredients, the first one especially, still looks better than whiskers/go cat and all the other 4% meat and full o' nasties supermarket brands. :shify:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 11:46:05 AM »
I am vegetarian but would never feed a cat any thing but meat or fish. Veg. cat food is wrong

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 09:31:26 AM »
Many many years ago I use to knock around with a girl who's mother use to feed her cats a veggie diet souly because she hated the smell of cat food - how disgustingly selfish is that!

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 19:14:39 PM »
Go Cat etc which many people feed and they are not repulsed at for doing so...

When I learned that it was not too good for them really, only good for your pocket, I stoped feeding Go-cat. Its also the reason I have had to get Macey insured because of her weight  :tired:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 18:27:14 PM »
Its not much different to Go Cat etc which many people feed and they are not repulsed at for doing so...
Not justifying it but all pet food is fortified, the cooking process destroys alot

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 12:43:48 PM »
I hate to think what the contents of the litter tray are like after a cat has eaten some of that   :sick: The ingredients are  :censored: I notice the actual source of taurine isnt listed (just listed as plant source on one of the products) - quote from the Vegetarian Society 'The only rich source (of taurine) is meat' . Only traces of taurine are found in plants.

I'd be interested to know if cats fed these veggie diets suffer from urinary tract problems (as well as other problems) due to the ingredients.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 12:14:17 PM »
I'm veggie myself but the idea of feeding a veggie diet to my animals for no good reason is mind boggling. :scared: :shify:
Ditto

Awful, yet again purely for the owner's sake without a thought for the cat

Ditto too

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 10:54:31 AM »
My mum adopted an oldie and they had another cat too which had to have vegetarian food as its fur would fall out if it ate normal cat food.

I dont believe in making significant life choices for someone else (unless in danger of course) so even if I was veggie I dont think I would not feed my cats meat.

I do find some vegetarians very extreme in their views tho  :shy:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 10:36:51 AM »
I'm veggie myself but the idea of feeding a veggie diet to my animals for no good reason is mind boggling. :scared: :shify:
Ditto

Awful, yet again purely for the owner's sake without a thought for the cat

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 09:50:37 AM »
I agree if it's only fed for the owners sake, however i know of a dog who is allergic to animal protein :shocked: so has to have a high quality, but vegan diet and he's in wonderful condition, not sure if it's something that would/could affect cats, but at least they are available if any animals do need them.

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 09:48:32 AM »
Have you read the item on the Daily Mail website about a cat that will eat nothing but vegetables!!! I find it very odd!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1169637/Meet-Dante-Britains-vegetarian-cat-refuses-eat-meat-fish.html

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Vegetarian cat food - just so wrong
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 09:41:14 AM »
http://www.veggiepets.com/acatalog/vegetarian_cat_information.html

I feel so sorry for pets fed non-meat diets - especially cats as they are obligate carnivores. If people's feelings are that strong, they shouldn't have pets, surely?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Link to CatChat