Author Topic: Grooming advice for long haired cats who hate their tummies groomed!  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
Re: Grooming advice for long haired cats who hate their tummies groomed!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 12:37:50 PM »
The Munchkin is short haired but being a bit on the long and round side he can't reach the fur around the base of his tail which sometimes mats. He's not keen on being brushed around his tail section so I usually wait until the matted bit has grown long enough to cut off with nail scissors.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: Rosie and Ruby x
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 23:49:08 PM »
And for knot's in His fur, I would gently tease a flea comb between it and His skin ( so I couldn't cut Him ) then cut the knot off with scissors
more than often, this approach didn't always work first time round, but as you will find out, perseverance always Win's in the end
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 23:40:57 PM »
I have a right time brushing Gizzy....He came to me at approx 1 yr old and he was never brushed!  >:(

Its a two man job as he hates it!  :tired: Check under the arms also as they tend to clump up their too!

Patience is definitely a virtue here, little and often goes a long way!  ;)

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: Rosie and Ruby x
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 22:50:51 PM »
hmmmm, Misty was the same, you could brush Him anywhere but god forbid if you went near His Tummy  >:(

this is the kind of brush I used, soft bristles on one side and metal prong's on the other(with plastic ball's on the end's)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pet-Double-Sided-BRUSH-DOG-PET-PRODUCTS-Grooming-BNIP_W0QQitemZ310133652516QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs?hash=item310133652516&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Misty would let me do a couple of brush strokes on His tummy, then He's get hacked off and try and get away, at this
point I would put the brush under Him ( between His Leg's) as He was walking away, and he'd end up brushing himself

You could try that, It worked for Me.
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 22:48:23 PM »
what happens if the tummy isn't brushed?

Well from experience of dealing with long term strays, the L/Hs and the persians suffer the most in the tummy and rear end region. When it rains, water runs through the coat downward and if there are lumps of matted fur under the belly these may not dry out properly, which in turn causes exacerbated skins complaints or perfect moist and warm breeding environments for maggots in summer.  :sick:

Personally, I just cut off the worst lumps off Henry and then tried a little brushing... but he never stood it for long.  :innocent:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 22:38:38 PM »
what happens if the tummy isn't brushed? Tiffany isn't a long hair, but she has very thick fur, and a lot of loose fur hanging down underneath, and I find lumps of it lying about at regular intervals

but it doesn't seem to get matted, and the lumps that come out, although they are a couple of centimetres long, are not matted either
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 22:35:17 PM »
I think that's a classic problem for persian and L/H owners. We've a few here so one is bound to nip in soon.  :evillaugh:

When I had my L/H puss Henry (R.I.P.) I used to distract him with a feather while he lay on his back. Even so, I never got more than one of two brush strokes in before he told me my fortune.  :rofl:

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
Grooming advice for long haired cats who hate their tummies groomed!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 15:23:24 PM »
My gorgeous boy Monty has a gorgeous luxurious coat but while he loves his back being brushed for a short time he really does rather object to me brushing his tummy! I often have to catch him at sleepy moments when his belly's on show or bribe him with some catnip and hope for the best. As I adopted him in his old age, I have no idea if he's been groomed much before but he certainly doesn't seem used to it.
I have been being patient and doing a bit here and there but want his coat to stay in good condition so am just after any tips form all you experts. I'm new to long haired cats having always had shorthairs so any tips welcome :D

Link to CatChat