Author Topic: lactulose: is there just one kind?  (Read 5603 times)

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
Re: lactulose: is there just one kind?
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 13:37:09 PM »
It is definately the same stuff.

I use it on humans as a nurse.

Liquid parrafin seems to get better results in my cats that need help.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 13:38:00 PM by Philip »
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 13:05:10 PM »
Like humans a change in routine, diet, medication etc can cause it also I think that just like people some cats are more prone to being like that and as people change as they age so do animals.  Schui had a tendency to be like that yet none of our other cats really have been.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
no, he drinks a lot and isn't dehydrated on the skin fold test. But he's eating loads less at present which doesn't help (he is off his wet food especially). A lot with Max is psychological as he tried to eat a plastic bag this morning and has rolled himself up in a blanket for a long, post miaowing sleep - Max gets the hump sometimes for no real reason. He got loads of cuddles this morning, he's just a bit siamese sometimes (his mum was siamese). He's a nervy cat. He runs and hides when he sees the lactulose syringe too, but he doesn't mind it THAT much (compared to katalax which he hates).

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 11:56:50 AM »
I wouldnt say it is normal SM, Molly has constipation issues (she is 16) and needs extra fibre, but yet Zi is 19 next month and doesn't and neither does Tino, who is 17. When did MAx last have bloods? Do you know if he is hydrated, as dehydration can cause issues
Please spay your cat

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
thanks everyone and thanks Desley. Yes the pharmacist said she's not allowed to give me something for my pets so could I please confirm it's for me  ;)  but then I wasn't sure. I'll get him some. My vet (I think he is v good) insists that lactulose is by far the safest and most effective kitty lax. The sugar in it isn't absorbed and it helps clear liver and kidney toxins. Plus if you give too much you have a mess to clean up but it doesn't do any longer term harm.
Max is getting so blocked as he gets older. His diet hasn't changed and he drinks enough.  Is this a normal old cat thing (he is 15 1/2 now, tend to forget how old he's getting as his brother is so sick and older still).

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 11:19:44 AM »
No I can't Desley because I don't even think she said she just said yes but not lactulose, I have wondered why though when I hear it mentioned so much on here.  I'll probably ask next time I go out of curiousity.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 11:13:18 AM »
Can you remember what the other thing was JAne? I know that Liquid Paraffin used to be recommended, but that is being phased out now, as it can cause more issues than Lactulose can.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 11:02:05 AM »
sorry for asking on your thread SM  :shy: but I'm just  a bit curious about lactulose - do all vets recommend it because I know when I asked for some for Schui my vet said not lactulose but I can give you something else - once we've sorted this other problem out, as it happened he didn't need it but I just wondered why she said not lactulose as that is what everyone seems to get.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 11:05:06 AM by janeyk »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 10:58:14 AM »
I buy the human stuff and say it is for myself. I know the first bottle I got was just a slightly different coloured label than the one in the vets, but it works for Molly.
Please spay your cat

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 10:52:57 AM »
As far as I know it's the same stuff but I'm sure some other peeps will be able to confirm.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
lactulose: is there just one kind?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 10:50:52 AM »
I need to buy Max some lactulose. I normally get it in decanted form from the vet (bottle with no label). I went to Boots and they didn't know if it's all the same stuff for people and animals (and didn't want me to buy anything for a pet).
Do you know if they area all the same and I can just buy "lactulose" from any chemist? He really needs to have some today.

Link to CatChat