Author Topic: I like this Zylkene stuff....  (Read 7875 times)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Re: I like this Zylkene stuff....
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 09:08:07 AM »
Its still safe to give straight (they are big capsules though)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 02:44:04 AM »
Its reccomended to go in food - says the leaflet

I read that also!  :scared: gonna have some fun if not!  :-:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 19:11:42 PM »
Its reccomended to go in food - says the leaflet

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 11:57:47 AM »
We give it to Jess straight down the throat  :(.

Its a large capsule but to be fair his quite an easy cat to give tablets to if there are 2 of you. Failing that I put the powder it into a little bit of food, he'll always eat it.

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 11:34:45 AM »
Just spoken to someone who had a couple of young cats of us last year. Who were having problems with their older cat accepting one of the youngsters and the I made some suggestions to try and ease the tension. The vet also suggested this Zylkene and they have been giving it to the aggressor and the bullied. The aggressor they say has calmed down a bit, however the biggest change was in the young cat where she appears to be more confident and has belted back the older cat when she starts bullying.

Also day 4 of trying it on one of my lads and he is not as vocal and seems a bit more chilled out.
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 15:31:48 PM »
 :thanks: guys  :)

Well me and me old mate "Google" have just found them for £10 for a month's supply (one a day!) so Im gonna give them a shot!  ;)

What other ways can you get a cat to take Zylkene? Old Mog knows when it's in her meat.....

I dont know how many times per day you feed old mogs JS....I feed Yagga 4 pouches a day cos he wont eat dry....Im gonna spread the tablet into 4 meals and hopefully it wont be so noticeable!  :sneaky:

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 20:21:53 PM »
I got mine from Vet Medic, I found them the cheapest at 26.89 for 100 capsules. Bearing in mind the average cat only needs one day that is over 3 months supply.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 18:41:25 PM »
Kate (Swampmaximum) sent me some to try for Clapton but He wouldn't eat any food laced with it and the capsules are too big to hide in a treat. It's a shame as I wanted to give it a go.

Yes you can get it from VetUK - It was on offer for ages. Not sure if the offer is still on.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 19:30:12 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 18:33:36 PM »
Wow this sounds like a wonder drug and my Yagga could do with some stress relief.....where do you buy it from, is it VETUK? 

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 18:23:11 PM »
Bertie knew it was in his meat, so I had to dissolve it in abt 3 ml of water and syringe it in to him! I tired it in cat millk and he knew it was in there as well.

Today I discovered that he likes Tuna, so I put it in that this morning. I had to make a show of it and hand feed him a couple of bits of Tuna first so he thought he was being treated extra special, he then polished off the lot. I tried pilchards the weekend and he turned his nose up as that as well.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 17:09:25 PM »
What other ways can you get a cat to take Zylkene? Old Mog knows when it's in her meat.....

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 15:07:02 PM »
Jess is a little man  :(  :rofl: no wonder he gets stressed  :evillaugh:

Seriously though, Jess is a complete stresshead, he got so worked up about things that he got 2 blocked bladders in the space of a week. Our vet suggest Zylkene as her friend was launching it in the UK and wanted cats to trial it, this was last April. Jess trialled it for 3 months with fantastic results, and has been on it ever since.

The main changes that we saw in Jess though were, Jess becoming more confident, when we had visitors he would run away and wouldn't be touched, now he comes and seeks them out for cuddles. He plays more than he ever has with his toys and with Milo our other cat. His body language changed his tail is up most of the time now (unless his sulking). Jess sleeps less and spends hardly any time in his safe houses. Jess has always been very much my cat and will come to my always but he is now starting to sit with my Husband more.

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 14:09:34 PM »
We've had great results with Zylkene, Jess has been on it for a year. Its work well for us so we're sticking with it. Feliway didn't work for us either.

Leanne, have you given to her on a daily basis and what type of behaviour did it modify?

Ta

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 14:08:21 PM »
We've had great results with Zylkene, Jess has been on it for a year. Its work well for us so we're sticking with it. Feliway didn't work for us either.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 13:59:11 PM »
I know some people have had exceptional results with Zylkene, sadly it wasn't strong enough for Charlie.  Hope it continues to do well for you:)

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 10:42:48 AM »
I am hopeful that Zylkene will help her stand up for herself and chill the boys out a bit.

Funnily enough I was thinking of giving it to my Asbo as well as he always seems to be the scapegoat for anything that fancies it's chances in this house. I was wondering if it would make a cat feel more confident, if there is a change in your girl, I may try it on Asbo as well.

I will need to order in plenty of Tuna as well by the looks of it!

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 10:33:12 AM »
I have put my three on it for a trial. Digby and Riley really pick on poor Poppy and I thought it might calm them down a bit. Poppy is very nervy so I thought it might make her a little less worried. They have been on it for 5 days now and things have improved. The boys seem to be tolerating Poppy more and are not so quick to chase her. The biggest change is Poppy though. She seems much more confident and has even swatted at the boys a few times. She is much happier to wander around even if they are watching her.

The boys are still beggars for annoying her but there is definitely more friendly nose-to-nose contact.

I have been really worried that Poppy isn't happy and that maybe she would be better with someone else. I have had her since September and she had an awful three years before then. She has made great progress but the boys do bully her, never actually touching her, just chasing her off. I am hopeful that Zylkene will help her stand up for herself and chill the boys out a bit.

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 10:25:43 AM »
The data sheets states that the behaviour should be evaluated after 15-30 days and the daily intake modified if need be. The period of use is 1-2 months and can be repeated according to vets advice.

I should think that it depends on the level of the cats stress, and my reseach into this has thrown up mixed reviews with some saying fantastic especially when given around periods of high stress such as fireworks night and others saying that there has been no result.

I am going to give this to Bertie for another week and then try giving it to him on alternate days to see what we reaction we get and then reduce it down further so he may only be getting it twice a week, just to keep his stress dampened down. He walked past two of my other cats this morning without stopping to lay into them, and that is a first. He is so much calmer.

I will see what the results are on my other lad as I started him on that yesterday.

Feliway has not worked on either of these two, so it will be interesting to see what the results are.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 22:57:19 PM »
It should only work while you are actually giving it, I think. It seems stronger than valerian/skullcap but much weaker than calming drugs, so for spraying it might not be strong enough - but def worth a try.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 22:28:41 PM »
You know, I might order some of that for my sprayers! Harry is the worst, always has been, but Ben and Joe do spray from time to time. Its increased at the moment though, since I introduced BB in December and Lacie about a month ago. I wonder though, if its going to work, do the effects only last while they are taking Zylkene, or would it be more long lasting even if the product was stopped? I wouldn't really want to keep them on something like that (even though its a natural product) indefinitely.

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
I like this Zylkene stuff....
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 21:43:52 PM »
... That much I am wondering if they do it for humans as well!  :evillaugh:

One of my little fosters Bertie has been an absolute pain in the butt since he came in about 6 weeks ago. Spraying, yelling and picking on the others. So on Saturday I started him on this Zylkene stuff having read rave reviews about it, mainly from dog owners but I never told Bertie that bit!

Yesterday day 5 I started to notice a difference in that he was not yelling as much and seemed calmer. Still on a search and destroy mission with the others but not as bad, would tolerate them a bit more.

Today, he is like a different cat, still no yelling, apart from a littlie this morning 'cause breakfast was late as some lazy so and so would not get out of bed to feed him.  :-[

A lot calmer, no spraying since the weekend and still a bit tetchy with the others but nowhere as near as bad.

Just in case it is a fluke I have tonight started to give it to one of my lads who has sprayed for the past 4 years and yells like mad when stressed, if it works on him then I am ordering a container load!

Link to CatChat