Author Topic: Help need - new pet shop it town - poss sensative  (Read 4105 times)

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
Re: Help need - new pet shop it town - poss sensative
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 09:49:40 AM »
keep on bugging them, it's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 09:29:58 AM »
I've not heard anything from the RSPCA after they said they would call me back after sending an inspector - they did when I reported a neighbour once

I had an email from the council saying my email had been passed to an officer who would be in touch.

>:( >:(

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 22:42:03 PM »
Its the local council that gives the licence....but RSPCA can (and should) go and check the condition of the kittens if you are worried

Offline Tiggerman

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 21:24:03 PM »
Any news or update on what is happening?

Tiggerman.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 15:44:41 PM »
They were helpful then. Just because it isn't there area doesn't mean they can't advise....harumph. Hope it's sorted soon.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 13:05:00 PM »
Well I had a reply from Trading Standards saying they can't get involved as they have nothing to do with the licensing of Pet Shops  >:(

What are they to do with? Did they tell you who you should contact?

Thats was the one line reply I received. 

I've already emailed the council so I hope they can do something.

Offline Tiggerman

• Hero Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 11:59:30 AM »
It is nothing to do with trading standards.

Local Authorities issue licences to various businesses in their area so you need to contact the Licencing Department
at your local council.

They will be able to deal with this from a legal point and hopefully either improve the shop or prevent it from selling animals.

Hope this helps.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 11:58:14 AM »
Well I had a reply from Trading Standards saying they can't get involved as they have nothing to do with the licensing of Pet Shops  >:(

What are they to do with? Did they tell you who you should contact?

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 11:36:54 AM »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 09:45:26 AM »
I think it is a good thing to do. Don't worry about the owners, just think of the cats and everything else will fall into place  :Luv2: - I hate the idea that people can just walk in off the street and walk away with an innocent little life. Animal sellers want shooting  >:(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 09:42:33 AM »
The poor kittens have been on my mind all weekend. 

I think I am now about to email the local paper as well, but I don't know if its a good thing to do or not.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 08:17:18 AM »
 :( this is awful I do hope they sort them out, glad you've done something about it Leanne
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 08:05:20 AM »
Have emailed the council this morning as well!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 18:52:17 PM »
If they are legit the best way to get them to stop is to hand out leaflets and raise support, if people boycott until the kittens go then they wont make much money and for a new business they will fail quickly

Offline Tiggerman

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 16:04:19 PM »
Try going to your local council website and then onto the A - Z section and look
under either licencing or animal welfare.

There should be contact numbers or the option to send an email ready for Monday.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 15:41:21 PM »
definately check with the council.

I would also go in and have words with her if you are concerned with the kittens welfare. They should have water in with them - though not nec. food if they have just eaten. I don't know if pet shops that have special licences have any paperwork to prove it - you could always ask her to show you some and if she can't show you anything tell her you will check with the council first thing on monday.

If you are that distressed a few quck photos of where they are being kept...... and of course if it is close, keep an eye on what happens to them when the shop closes - in fact you can probably ask to see the pens around the back if thats where they go.

The only worrying thing is if they panic and want to get rid of the evidence  :scared:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 13:34:03 PM »
Aw, those poor animals!   I totally disagree with any pet shop selling animals and can't believe kittens are still allowed to be sold in them.   I have never yet come across a pet shop in Scotland that sells them so not sure if the law is different here or not.

I personally refuse to buy anything from any pet shop that stocks animals - I only buy from pet supply stores and online shops.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 13:26:02 PM »
Thanks all, have just emailed trading standards too.

Angie I am not sure I could go back in without losing my cool to be honest, there is no way she could have pens outside the place is so small  >:(

Poor kittens  :-[

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 12:45:55 PM »
Glad you have reported it  :'( :'( :'(

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 12:45:02 PM »
definately check with the council.

I would also go in and have words with her if you are concerned with the kittens welfare. They should have water in with them - though not nec. food if they have just eaten. I don't know if pet shops that have special licences have any paperwork to prove it - you could always ask her to show you some and if she can't show you anything tell her you will check with the council first thing on monday.

If you are that distressed a few quck photos of where they are being kept...... and of course if it is close, keep an eye on what happens to them when the shop closes - in fact you can probably ask to see the pens around the back if thats where they go.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 12:42:05 PM »
Thanks JS I've called them and reported it.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 12:23:34 PM »
Definitely call the cruelty line:

0300 1234 999

You can do it anonymously if you're worried. I think it's horrific that they're still allowed to sell kittens in petshops. I know you need a license, but I think it's an awful environment for a kitten. (Actually, I don't think it's a good environment for any animal; especially not when there are so many animals in rescue.)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
Help need - new pet shop it town - poss sensative
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
A new pet shop has opened in town.

I saw paper adverts saying they had kittens and rabbits  :-[

We went in!!! I was shocked. The shop itself was tiny. The kittens looked far too young to be away from their Mum. I don't have a lot of experience of kittens but Milo came to from rescue at 16 weeks and was tiny and is still a small cat now but these kittens were smaller than I remember Milo being.

There were 2 crates, each with 2 kittens in, both had litter trays in but only one had food in. 2 black kittens appeared to be play fighting with each other. 2 black and white kittens were really subduded. There was also a crate with a rabbit in.

The shop owner was saying to someone (who had 2 children with her) that the rabbits were £45 each, the lady said ***** garden centre sell them for £35, the owner said yes well they inbreed and once you get it home it'll die, ***** are well known for it. The potential customer said well any animal we get will be from rescue (i also wanted to kiss her when she said that) and they left. After looking at the cat food we too left.

Once outside I burst into tears, my husband was angry I'd subjected myself to it. But I feel I want to do something but I don't know what. If I could I would have taken the 4 kittens.

Shall I report her to trading standards because I bet she doesn't have a license.

Any suggestions and thanks for listening, I'm currently hugging my boys.

Link to CatChat