Author Topic: !4 yrold recovering from hyperthyroid....should i try hills/royal canin senior??  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
I also agree with the others, I'd stick to giving her what she likes to eat. Lifestages diets arent necessary and as Des said senior foods a lower in calories so won't put weight on her. For her stiff joints you could try one of the fish oil supplements like Cosequin etc http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_240

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Neither of mine would touch the second one (the alutrays) although I suppose some cats must like it or it would be discontinued! It's a funny texture. The dry version of it is very palatable but maybe you want only wet food? Senior food (prescription) tends to be about 0.6g in phosphorus, twice that of renal food but still fairly low compared to commercial foods and better for muscles probably.

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
Hi

Thanks for all ur replys, i supose she has about 2 puches of food a day + jwb

i do understand keeping her on what she likes to eat but when looking at the senior food aparently its ment to be better for their kidneys, which is another thing to think about

these were the two i was looking at

this one says something about helping maintain mussle mass, so i thought it might help with the weight

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62_216&products_id=1278

this one is aimed at her age

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62_216&products_id=1279

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
My 15 yr old Max doesn't have a thyroid problem but he certainly puts on a lot of weight if I don't watch how much he eats of the RC neutered senior dry food (SO 28: the green and white packet). It's given to all oldies in France by every vet (bit like Hills here I suppose) and they seem to do well on it. I give wet food as well. Hills senior 85g can has only 80 calories I think so the dry food is definitely more calorific. How much does she eat because she'll have to eat a lot of wet food of any type really to get weight on.

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
Senior food is lower in calories, so not the best if you want cats to put weight on.
That's what i was thinking, i think i'd try an adult variety or even kitten food.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Senior food is lower in calories, so not the best if you want cats to put weight on.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Hill's Nature's best senior is going down really well here. It smells really meaty and also nice big nuggets.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
I agree, it's great if they will eat really good foods but tbh I only adopt oldies and my 2 will only really eat Whiskas supermeat but we think quality of life is more important at their age, so long as they are happy and eating.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 18:40:56 PM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I would stick to what meat she likes and try some of the senior dry and see what she thinks, if she enjoys it then great but if not i think its more important they enjoy their food then eat a lifestage diet. The wet versions of lifestage diets are not normally very tasty!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
As long as its a complete food I think you stick with what she likes to eat.

Kocka lost weight before a thyroid was removed and she never put it on again and to get her to eat anything was a real problem,

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
Hi

Back in october lucy our 14yrold cat had one of her enlarged thyroids removed, we are trying to get her to put on a bit more weight, she has gained a bit but could still do with gaining more and also seems to be getting a little stiff in joints.

we have been toping her up with pouches of oh so/ sainsburys perfectly meaty and hi life cherish because i was looking for cheep ish foods with slightly higher meat content as i thought that was important. we also try to avoid feeding pork as aparntly cats cant digest it properly.....not sure wether thats true or not

she also has the same food as our younger two for main meals ..... jwb and natures menu/ hi life pouches

i have been looking at the royal canin neutured senior and neutured mature as well as hills senior

would you recomend feeding either of these?? or is it better to stick with the higher meat content

thanks

rachel

Link to CatChat