Author Topic: Advice on inappropriate toileting!  (Read 1662 times)

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
Re: Advice on inappropriate toileting!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 21:22:21 PM »
Funny how "our" cats temporarily became "my" cats after that little episode  :rofl:  Bet you can guess who had to clear it up and do the laundry!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 21:21:15 PM »
she would even squat down and do a giant poop on his trousers while staring straight at him!

now that's what I call class - I wish I'd had the courage sometimes .......... ;)
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 21:06:30 PM »
she would even squat down and do a giant poop on his trousers while staring straight at him! 
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My Sis had a problem with Mickey weeing upstairs, a second tray sorted that out, a few months later
second tray was removed, and now only uses the one downstairs
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 20:41:32 PM »
When we first adopted our two kitties about 18 months ago, Milly started doing a similar thing.  She chose my husbands clothes (which admittedly, he left lying on the floor!) as her target, and she would even squat down and do a giant poop on his trousers while staring straight at him!  All this time she would use the litter trays as well, so it wasn't as if she didn't know what she was doing.

We rang the rescue that we got them from, and they said that she was probably just feeling insecure and stressed after her adoption.  They advised us to get a feliway plugin and to add another litter tray in a different place and with a different litter.  We did all this and within a week or two she really started to settle down well and use the litter trays all the time.  Since then we have never had a problem  :wow:  They now have a catflap and can go out, but I still have litter trays.  Milly rarely uses it but on the occasions she has, it's either been snowing outside or she's turned out to be poorly.  I think it can take a couple of weeks for a cat to adjust, it must be very confusing for them.  Hopefully by getting rid of the scent on the carpet, 'playing' with different litter/litter tray arrangements and using a feliway plug in, the problem should be solved relatively quickly.  Best of luck  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 20:42:51 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 19:33:24 PM »
Thanks Sam - I found that earlier but alot of it is about spraying rather than just going to the loo outside the tray. The link at the end is very good though  :hug:

I've sent the email so fingers crossed for moo moo :wish:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 19:06:49 PM »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 17:23:52 PM »
I can't think of anything you haven't already suggested to them hun, I hope they manage to get this to stop  :hug: :hug:

You're right that a vet visit in the first instance is the way to go to rule out any health issues, but the fact that its always the same place, to me sounds more behavioural.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
Advice on inappropriate toileting!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 17:14:41 PM »
I have had an email from Magsy's new meowmy who says that after settling in just fine she has now started 'going' on the dining room floor  :( - she still sometimes goes in the tray but is doing some pees and poos on the floor - but only in this room  :Crazy:

If she is locked out of the room and is allowed in the rest of the house she is fine but once allowed back in she will go again!

I am sending some advice but having not experienced this before I was wondering if you fine lot have anything else I should add?

So far I am saying to try:
- Two trays rather than one
- If using covered trays try using them with no cover, no liner and maybe with different litters in each (they know she used cats best here but not sure what they are using)
- Feliway diffuser in that room (is it also true that there is a feliway spray to spray on the offending area?)
- Making sure to clean the area with ammonia-free cleaning product to not encourage further toileting on that spot. I have suggested using biological washing powder solution.
- Vet visit - could this be showing an underlying issue?  Hope not :(

The last email report was so positive, I feel worried for her now and hope it can be sorted with some good advice  :scared:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Link to CatChat