Author Topic: Saw a kitten nearly get hit by a car ..  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
Re: Saw a kitten nearly get hit by a car ..
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 13:04:09 PM »
I think little kitty had a bell on its collar and was close enough to the person for them to realise they were being followed. I am so greatful there wasn't a car coming in the other direction. It was a case of the car ended up blocking the kitty from crossing the road, he/she jumped back onto the other side of the road and froze until the car passed then carried on across the road at warp speed. I've not seen this cat before but it came (and went) through the alleyway behind my house so i'm assuming it lives around here .. so will keep an eye out.

Unfortunately if the worst had happened there was nothing I could have done  :'( 1) it all happened far too fast and 2) I was too far away

I'll keep an eye out for the little one.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 07:29:17 AM »
my lot regularly follow me down the street. The number of times i have made it halfway to the station, turned around and discovered one or other cat following me makes me nervous to the nth degree. They are frequently quite sneaky about it too. Nowadays I make a point of ensuring no-one has come out the front door with me when I go out. Stop, put cat back, check keys, close door is a daily routine here. The owner of a young kitten may yet have to learn that lesson, though at that age one wonders why it is outside at all. Glad it is safe now though.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 07:24:41 AM »
So horrifying that a kitten is aloud to roam like that...........am starting to despair of many with kittens out there.

So pleaseed the kitten was OK and think thats what you need to remember  :hug:

It makes me cringe when I see any animal near roads  :scared: I wish they would be kept safe.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 01:11:33 AM »
How horrible.

I'm the mad woman who runs out into the middle of the road when I see an animal sitting there (and who has nearly been hit herself if there's been a car coming).  Have done it ever since I was a wee kid.

Roads are so scary, because even quiet ones aren't secure - all it takes is one car...  one of the reasons I'm trying to figure out how to cat proof our back garden (it isn't straightforward, of course   :stupid:  ) at the moment.

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Chiana and Salem
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 00:09:20 AM »
one of my friends has started to take personal alarm around with her and everytime she sees an animal sitting in middle of the road she sets it off and if that fails she walks upto it and if its tame enough picks it up but if it isnt it will run away anyway and wen a car is coming she has a simple solution that comes out of her panic she screams and waves her arms
The world is a dark place because of negativity so lets brighten it up with some possitivity

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 22:34:03 PM »
Thats terrible Den, will  look out for kitten.

Perhaps it ought to be catnaped if it is seen by the road again.

Offline RACR

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
    • RACR
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 20:08:00 PM »
Awww porr kitty but lucky escape!! I never forget many many years ago seeing a young cat around 5 motnhs old hit by a car, it got up and flew straight uner another! then how i dont know got uop again and fled. I ran after him/her into gardens to help but lost him/her :( never knew if he/she survived or not and doubt it would of as it must of had some terrible injurys :(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 19:58:41 PM »
So horrifying that a kitten is aloud to roam like that...........am starting to despair of many with kittens out there.

So pleaseed the kitten was OK and think thats what you need to remember  :hug:

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 19:54:59 PM »
That would haunt me, too.   :(  :hug:

Im the woman who once hurled a handbag I was carrying at a little grey and white cat, to scare it out of the road where it was washing,  oblivious to a car approaching.  The poor cat looked SO surprised when my bag came flying past!

Like most women, my handbag holds all sorts of things and the car squished the lot .....

Thank God, though, the car may have wrecked the bag and contents but the cat was OK.

Maybe the person going into the shop didnt know they were being followed.  Maybe it wasnt their cat, but the cat thought the person was his owner? 

I do hope kitty picks up some road sense soon - The road is a very unforgiving playground, as well know too well  :'(
People Power Works!!!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
Saw a kitten nearly get hit by a car ..
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 19:32:01 PM »
I was waiting at the bus stop this morning and saw a gorgeous black and white kitten cross the road. He/she looked no more then five months old and appeared to be enthusiastically following someone. The person went into the coop but little kitten didn't follow. He/she waited a moment then suddenly darted out into the road in the path of the car. The poor kitten was so close to being under the car  :(

I swear my heart stopped. The scarier part is I don't think the person cared  or realized he was being followed and the woman driver looked in a world of her own and didn't notice little kitten. I've not managed to get the incident out of my mind all day :(

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Link to CatChat