Author Topic: Schui's not well.........SAD NEWS  (Read 20083 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Schui's not well
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2009, 11:36:32 AM »
He's still doing ok and less wobbly, he seems to be adapting better now for eg he seems to be walking in a way that's keeping him steady apart from the odd sticking his feet in the water dish and biscuits  :Luv: and he seems more content in himself which is good thanks for asking :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2009, 10:46:49 AM »
How is Schui today, Janey?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2009, 19:36:52 PM »
Last time I was at PAH they had some wonderful fleecy soft quite flat beds in the dog section that would be purrfect for a blind boy who needed somewhere warm to zzzz. Jumping up and down may be too tricky - it's a confidence thing.

I have a couple of fleecy duvet type ones too which I use to line the open bed and have one by the radiator which Byron will lay on but can't get Schui on there, he is very awkward about what he sleeps on  :sneaky: he would quite happily just on the bare sofa but I have a fleece on there to stop the claw marks.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2009, 19:32:58 PM »
That is good news. :) Regarding the sofa , cant you put something low like a box for him to jump on first to get to the sofa, or perhaps  :)a small cat tree with steps next to the sofa, just an idea :hug:

If he won't use a box, maybe a mat? - We have wood floors in our basement so I put a soft mat down at Alices end of the sofa and she uses it  :Luv2:

Do you mean a thick mat?  he can't jump up at all it seems I've tried a few things and he just looks blank so he either can't jump or he doesn't understand  :tired:

That is a problem - Alice claws her way up the side of the sofa - just as well "her" sofa is the Ikea one and not the one of the velvet Multiyork ones  :evillaugh:

mmm I know that well, if Byron is determined to get onto the sofa she will just dig her claws into the leather  :-:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 19:33:37 PM by janeyk »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2009, 18:59:52 PM »
Last time I was at PAH they had some wonderful fleecy soft quite flat beds in the dog section that would be purrfect for a blind boy who needed somewhere warm to zzzz. Jumping up and down may be too tricky - it's a confidence thing.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2009, 18:55:33 PM »
That is good news. :) Regarding the sofa , cant you put something low like a box for him to jump on first to get to the sofa, or perhaps  :)a small cat tree with steps next to the sofa, just an idea :hug:

If he won't use a box, maybe a mat? - We have wood floors in our basement so I put a soft mat down at Alices end of the sofa and she uses it  :Luv2:

Do you mean a thick mat?  he can't jump up at all it seems I've tried a few things and he just looks blank so he either can't jump or he doesn't understand  :tired:

That is a problem - Alice claws her way up the side of the sofa - just as well "her" sofa is the Ikea one and not the one of the velvet Multiyork ones  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2009, 18:42:29 PM »
Yep he does lay on a fleecy blanket on the sofa so I could try that on the floor for him if he won't get in a bed.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2009, 16:26:23 PM »
I suspect he wont jump cos he cant underestand what he would be jumping into..........maybe a fleecy blanket or some of that vet bed on the floor,

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2009, 16:20:06 PM »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2009, 13:45:43 PM »

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2009, 13:42:19 PM »
I think they do find it frightening when they go blind, much more so than deaf. Can you possibly create a safe environment (confined) for him for when you go out? He will feel more secure and you'll relax more too. I know how it feels to rush back to see if they are ok. hope the good progress continues too  :hug:

Thanks  :hug: Yes we adopted a cat who got a brain tumour and he went blind all of a sudden and when it happened he just wouldn't leave my side day and night, we only had him for 4 months but Schui has gradually gone nearly blind over the 2 and half years we've had him but I think that when his problem suddenly got worse on Wednesday (it seems left sided) it also took the eyesight in his left eye completely so I think it all happening at once stressed him out.  He is also deaf but is such a determined boy and always seems to pull through, steroids have so far worked very well for him so fingers crossed xx

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2009, 13:26:15 PM »

We are thinking of ideas to adapt and even wondering whether he will be able to jump again, he seems happy laying on the floor in the suns rays this morning  :) I used to put things for Byron to hop onto but she wouldn't use them, but she is very stubborn, I'll have to see but we were pleased to see him a bit better this morning  :hug:

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 13:27:37 PM by janeyk »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2009, 10:33:34 AM »
I think they do find it frightening when they go blind, much more so than deaf. Can you possibly create a safe environment (confined) for him for when you go out? He will feel more secure and you'll relax more too. I know how it feels to rush back to see if they are ok. hope the good progress continues too  :hug:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2009, 10:32:35 AM »
Awww good news

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2009, 10:31:23 AM »

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2009, 10:19:48 AM »
thanks Clare  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2009, 10:14:11 AM »
Sorry I didn't see this yesterday hun, glad to hear there's a slight improvement today  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2009, 10:11:31 AM »
I hope so, I have noticed he is definitely walking better today but since yesterday he hasn't been able to push himself up onto the sofa so I have to lift both of them on now.  I don't worry about Byron as she will sleep in a bed but not sure how Schui will feel when we are out.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2009, 07:43:05 AM »
I do hope this means he is picking up
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2009, 07:35:58 AM »

He does seem a bit better this morning, he was quite chirpy and quacking (which he does) he hasn't been as wobbly and seems to have adapted to sitting to eat, I think that although he was nearly blind that sudden blindness in the left eye also panicked him, so fingers crossed he is starting to pick up a bit now xx

thanks for asking  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2009, 07:35:50 AM »
Hope Schui is feeling better today  :hug:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2009, 07:27:51 AM »
How is Schui this morning hunnie?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2009, 19:00:19 PM »
Hope he starts to improve soon  :hug: Its a good sign that he seems to be eating ok though.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2009, 18:05:19 PM »
Thank you Nikki   :hug:

Thanks Pav, it does seem a long time until next Wednesday but like you say we've decided to see how he goes over the next day or so and if need be get in touch sooner  :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 17:59:30 PM »
Thinking of you and Schui  :hug: :hug:
Just to say in Phoebe case when she was given the steroid injection the vet told me it can take up to 24 hours to show effects, i guess is different in each cat :( Its now 24 hours since Schui vet visit so if you dont notice any changes , may be you can call them tomorrow and ask if you can bring his appointment forward.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009, 16:56:23 PM »
Hugs again hunnie x

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009, 16:55:54 PM »
Thanks for the information Kate  :hug:  I really appreciate that he doesn't seem different as yet but will just see how he goes.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 13:25:39 PM »
Imho (and sure it's different for each cat) the pill steroids make them feel a little better than the jab does - that's really strong and will zap any inflammation that is causing Shui's problems. I so hope he's better soon.  :hug:

the pill steroids would be a course btw. You can't stop and start them just like that but have to wean them off. The best dose = the lowest dose at which they are effective. All I'd say from our experience here is try if possible to give them at night. The NOAH compendium recommends that. I couldn't and didn't just give them at night and I think if a cat takes them long term (which may not be necessary for Shui of course) that the NOAH people are right in that it can badly affect the cat's ability to manage stress.  (the vet doesn't totally agree so there is a diff of opinion).

I'd love the name of the natural remedy when you can. If you can't remember what the vet said and you are worried, I'd just ring up and ask to speak to them and take notes - I have to do that all the time as forget everything otherwise.  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 13:18:33 PM »
Thinking of you and Schui - I do hope he responds to treatment soon  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 12:41:13 PM »
Positive vibes from me too and good luck at the Vet
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 12:23:10 PM »
Hugs Schui  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 10:55:11 AM »
OH poor Schui  :hug: give him a giant hug from us here and one for you too  :hug: xx

:hug: thanks Gail xx

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 10:54:12 AM »
I think if they are the injection kind, they start to peak within about 6 - 8 hours after they are given. I'm so sorry that Shui's having horrible vestibular symptoms and hope the jab helps. If you find that it doesn't or has any side effects you are worried about, try not to worry because in 3 days or so the major side effects of the jab will wear off. With Swampy we tried the jab and pills and he ended up on pills. I'm curious as to the natural remedy the vet has mentioned? That sounds interesting - are you going to give it a go? Can you post what it is please?  Also this may sound a bit weird, but has Shui been on any antibiotics? For some unknown reason, they can sometimes help a bit with vestibular symptoms (eg synulox or penicillin). Or so we've found. The vet thinks it is voodoo science but it's now 4 times it's helped Swampy so boo to that, we just give it a go.

sending you lots of hugs and hope the steroids keep Shui eating and feeling better in himself  :hug:

Thanks,  :hug: they should have started to work then? he seemed pretty much as wobbly first thing (although fine in himself) but he's asleep now.  Schui has had long lasting steroids for his gums and sinuses on and off but never this type nor tablets before.  There was so much to take in but I think my vet said that if this didn't help he may be given tablets to take when needed - does that sound right?  She said that this drug is natural a bit like glugosamine in it shows improvements in some animals but nothing proven and certainly worth a try as it won't harm.  I can't remember the name I've tried to look it up but can't find anything.  When I ring on Wednesday I will ask more about it and let you know.  Schui hasn't had any antibiotics recently but how odd, I'll note that.   :thanks:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 10:55:41 AM by janeyk »

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 10:31:08 AM »
OH poor Schui  :hug: give him a giant hug from us here and one for you too  :hug: xx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 10:01:18 AM »
I think if they are the injection kind, they start to peak within about 6 - 8 hours after they are given. I'm so sorry that Shui's having horrible vestibular symptoms and hope the jab helps. If you find that it doesn't or has any side effects you are worried about, try not to worry because in 3 days or so the major side effects of the jab will wear off. With Swampy we tried the jab and pills and he ended up on pills. I'm curious as to the natural remedy the vet has mentioned? That sounds interesting - are you going to give it a go? Can you post what it is please?  Also this may sound a bit weird, but has Shui been on any antibiotics? For some unknown reason, they can sometimes help a bit with vestibular symptoms (eg synulox or penicillin). Or so we've found. The vet thinks it is voodoo science but it's now 4 times it's helped Swampy so boo to that, we just give it a go.

sending you lots of hugs and hope the steroids keep Shui eating and feeling better in himself  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 09:34:29 AM »
Thanks everyone  :hug:
Schui seems ok on himself this morning eating etc but he's still toppling over, he managed sit to eat to steady himself so we'll see how he goes.   The longer acting steroid he previously had seems took a couple of weeks to kick in, does anyone know how long quick acting steroids should take to show effect?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 08:00:52 AM »
Aww, i do hope the steroid jab helps.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat