Author Topic: RIP Franta Napoleon 13 Aug 93 - 10 May 2011  (Read 423024 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Frantas change in behavior - seems to be seizure free again :)
« Reply #195 on: February 13, 2009, 17:59:45 PM »
Good luck Gill and Franta  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #194 on: February 13, 2009, 17:57:58 PM »
Off to the vets now.

She has spoken to Bristol and wants to discuss the options...........but not over the phone  :'(

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #193 on: February 13, 2009, 17:51:30 PM »
Still waiting for the vet to ring........sigh

I know she said I wouldnt be left out in the street but I have min an hour there and back and didnt want to be doing the journey in the dark and possible rain or fog again!!!!!

Apparently she still hasnt got through to Bristol and was supposedly ringing me in 10 mins which has passed now.

I am hungry and tired and upset and cant leave the phone cos cant hear it once out of the room

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: Rosie and Ruby x
« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2009, 17:14:41 PM »
Oh Gill, what a nightmare  :'(
wish I could do / say something to make it better  :(
Sending tons of positive vibes You and Franta's way
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #191 on: February 13, 2009, 17:01:53 PM »
We are all here for you and Franta  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #190 on: February 13, 2009, 16:52:11 PM »
Gill, am holding you and Franta in my thoughts. 

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #189 on: February 13, 2009, 16:36:14 PM »
I live near Carmarthen, and had to hire a taxi to take a very sick kitten to Bristol very late at night - he turned out to have FIP but I never regretted it, as I knew I had taken him to one of the very best places in the UK
and the costs for all the tests, a blood transfusion and 4 days care were £600, and even though that was 7 years ago, I did not think that excessive

everything crossed for Frantsa meanwhile :hug:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #188 on: February 13, 2009, 16:32:02 PM »
I'm so sorry Franta is no better. Sending masses of positive vibes   :hug:  :hug:  Bristol has a very good reputation so I would stick with them but as others have said, £2,500 seems way too much for just an MRI scan - there must be other things included in that price.  I paid to have one done privately (for me not Korky) when I was having ear problems a few years ago and it was only a fifth of that.

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #187 on: February 13, 2009, 16:22:30 PM »
Gill, I don't know what to say other than you and Franta are in my thoughts and I'm sending all the positive vibes I can in your direction hun  :hug: :hug:  :Luv2:
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #186 on: February 13, 2009, 16:11:46 PM »
I can only send you some of these  :hug: :hug: :hug:, try to keep calm hunnie, although I know  of course you're worried  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #185 on: February 13, 2009, 16:00:17 PM »
Oh Gill, you bet me to my reply.

It sounds so scary but try and keep calm - at lease you know Rachel will be trying her best for him.

Mary  :hug: :hug:
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #184 on: February 13, 2009, 15:57:49 PM »
I was just about to say the same - you need to concentrate on Franta 100% now and sort Will out later.

Prayers, hugs, kisses, cuddles and the lot are being sent to you and Franta.

Oh and Bonnie asked me to post a valentine card to Franta that she made herself on the computer last night.  So that should be delivered to him tomorrow.

Mary

Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #183 on: February 13, 2009, 15:55:06 PM »
Rachel just rang and cant get through to Bristol cos all lines are engaged but they are continuing to try.

She has taken frantas blood and there is now an issue with anaemia and she doesnt understand why his blood is so watery. He also is maybe heading towards CRF and there is q uestion whether he will be fit enough for an MRI. He has three attacks so far at the vets and only 20 mins apart.

She wants to speak to a cat clinician at Bristol before any decisoion is made about MRI, She says that she thinks he goes blind during and just after an attack and between attacks he is very confused and not Franta at all..................this is looking so bad now I feel  :'( :'(

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #182 on: February 13, 2009, 15:49:33 PM »
I agree with Rosella but if I were you I would write it down now before you lose sight of any of the details and then discuss it when Franta is sorted out.  take care  :hug:

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #181 on: February 13, 2009, 14:48:07 PM »
You are very wise Rosella and right.

I had told him on the phone yesterday that it maybe a good idea to speak to Rachel cos she had been looking after Franta, maybe he did and got some advice as he ignored me yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #180 on: February 13, 2009, 14:43:12 PM »
.......I could murder Will because we have lost a day and I did tell him what Franta was doing and how he was circling.....he obviously didnt listen and did not have a bloomin clue.  If I remember and its doubtful, I may mention tonight to Rachel about Will....I felt it was not up to me to do this but guess as I get more upset I am also getting more angry!  

Word to the wise Gill. Whilst, in your situation, I would also be tempted to speak my mind about Will being the cause of undue delay, it may not be the right time to discuss this with Rachael tonight unless it will help current situation.  Time enough later on when things are hopefully clearer perhaps?

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2009, 14:40:36 PM »
Will she discuss the cost though?  There is nothing to stop you just ringing up and asking and also asking if they are likely to deal directly with the insurance company bar the excess.  It might put your mind at rest but if your vet is going to ask those questions then you will have to wait until she gets back to you.  I hope you are not feeling too stressed (stupid thing to say I know) but I so hope that this isn't anything sinister like you are fearing.  I really feel for you Gill and thank you for posting on Charlie's thread even though you are so anxious about Franta  :hug:

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #178 on: February 13, 2009, 14:34:51 PM »
Yes I hadnt thought of that but as the vet is speaking to them about this she probably has better contacts than me......will keep it in mind  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #177 on: February 13, 2009, 14:32:10 PM »
Why don't you ring Bristol yourself and find out exactly how much it is likely to cost should Franta have to go there?  I hope it doesn't come to that and, as someone said in an earlier post, something clicks into place with the vet.  But if he has to go then best to find out the details before you need to?  Might put your mind at rest a little as I am sure they must be used to cats needing scans and owners not having that amount of money readily available.  Best of luck we are all rooting for you and Franta and sending positive vibes and lots of love  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2009, 14:06:50 PM »
I would go with Bristol as they are the experts and probably have a lot more facilities than any vet. Also the latest equipment and info to hand I would have thought?

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #175 on: February 13, 2009, 14:02:34 PM »
Thanks Sue  :hug:

Obviously Caerfilly would not be any good cos he is an emergency but the Liverpool cost is slightly lower than I expected.

I think its gotta be weighed out against the length of the journey for him, the facilities and knowledge at the other end and the quality of care he will get.

Also Bristol have an enormous good reputation and its relatively easy for me to get there..............however there is an issue of a certain match at Cardiff tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also it depends on who my vets are willing to refer Franta too and prob is we have so little time to get all this sorted.........I could murder Will because we have lost a day and I did tell him what Franta was doing and how he was circling.....he obviously didnt listen and did not have a bloomin clue.

If I remember and its doubtful, I may mention tonight to Rachel about Will....I felt it was not up to me to do this but guess as I get more upset I am also getting more angry!

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #174 on: February 13, 2009, 13:46:52 PM »
I do hope you are right cos Bristol is also a teaching hospital so its of benefit to them too.

I told the vet I thought that was very very high compared to what I have heard on here but she is going to speak to them.......I dont know if this cost maybe reflects if he has to go as an emergency tomorrow.

I wonder if its because it might happen on a saturday they will charge more.

Bristol are very good I've had dealings with this this week though work. If I was at work now I'd riffle though some invoices for you now to get some more costs for you but i'm off sick.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #173 on: February 13, 2009, 13:45:07 PM »

Oh Gill my heart goes out to you. What a situation. I really hope Franta will get back to his normal self and that somehow this is not as serious as it sounds. Those fits he is getting must freak you out so much, not knowing what's wrong. Thank godness for your insurance though. I haven't insured Capone yet but know I have to, I haven't been able to afford his injections or de-fleaing because I have been unemployed since the 13th of January and have no money. I can't start a direct debit with nothing in my account.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #172 on: February 13, 2009, 13:44:50 PM »
Gill - £500 to £700 for a practice in Lievrpool, and I found this on Petplanet - they're Caerphilly.  Chin up, petal.   :hug:

See www.petplanet.co.uk

News Article #1546  
 MRI scans help diagnose pet problems in south Wales [19/01/2009]  
 Pet owners in south Wales are using a technique more commonly found in hospitals to diagnose their animals' conditions.

A mobile MRI scanner visits Bridge Veterinary Group in Pontllanfraith, Caerphilly each month courtesy of Burgess Diagnostics and helps people get to the root of their canine and feline companions' health issues.

Speaking to the BBC, Bridge Veterinary Group partner Graham Blow said the £1,000 scans can have a significant impact on diagnosing problems.

"We had a dog in there with severe neck pain and we had done tests but what was diagnosed probably wouldn't have been possible without MRI," he added.

Before the MRI started making its monthly visits, pet owners had to take their animals to England for a scan.

Last week, it was reported by Sainsbury's Finance that dental care for cats and dogs costs £28.5 million per year.

Research from the firm highlighted that 74 per cent of cats and dogs are not insured for non-routine dental treatment, meaning they owner would have to pay-out in an emergency.

© Adfero Ltd

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #171 on: February 13, 2009, 13:44:31 PM »
I do hope you are right cos Bristol is also a teaching hospital so its of benefit to them too.

I told the vet I thought that was very very high compared to what I have heard on here but she is going to speak to them.......I dont know if this cost maybe reflects if he has to go as an emergency tomorrow.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #170 on: February 13, 2009, 13:40:42 PM »
Oh Gill, I have to say from working with vets bills (all be it for dogs) daily I've never seen an MRI bill for that amount before, are they giving you a worse case scenario on the costs??

:hug: :hug: :hug: to you and franta

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #169 on: February 13, 2009, 13:38:40 PM »
Gill, have just been trying to find some further info for you.  There's a Consultancy in Newmarket (I know - it's a way aways from you, but just trying to get comparisons for you) who carry out MRI scanning from £500 including anaesthesia and "consumables" so maybe it might be less than initially anticipated.  Will see if I can find any others, just to get a betetr idea.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #168 on: February 13, 2009, 13:38:30 PM »
Gill that is heartbreaking  :hug:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2009, 13:37:13 PM »
Oh Gill  :hug:

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2009, 13:35:29 PM »
Yes I rang the insurers when I got home and they said they need claim forms from Bristol and from vets  and I think I only have one now. I told them that Bristols website is saying they will not do invoices for the vet or the insurance company but AXA said just get everything I can and send it in.

I am so upset right now I couldnt even get out the words to ask for a claim form but the lady was very nice and patient.

We are gonna be eating up that £7000 insurance big time and just a message to anyone out there who does not have insurance or hasnt got one that will pay out a large amount.....think again and get insured with decent cover...pleaseeeeeeeeeeee cos its the life of your cat.

If I couldnt have the MRI I suspect Rachel would be advising to PTS

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2009, 13:30:53 PM »
I'm sure they must have this all the time and will wait for the insurance money? - I'm sure they will sort it all out  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #164 on: February 13, 2009, 13:28:33 PM »
Oh Gill, sweetheart.  Don't give up hope just yet.   :hug: :hug:  Just take it an hour at a time, and wait and see what happens while he's with Rachel.   If she witnesses it first hand, something may just click into place, and give her a better idea of what's going on.   Have you made any approach to the Insurers just yet?  If not, might be worth having another look at the policy re the scan.   :hug:  I know you said that Rachel is going to do so as well, so maybe you feel it would be better to leave it up to her, just I know you'll be feeling like you need to do something.    :hug:

Keeping everything crossed that Rachel will be able to see this happening and to get an understanding of what's happening with Franta.   :hug: :hug:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #163 on: February 13, 2009, 13:25:33 PM »
Oh Gill  :hug: if I had any spare money at all I'd give it to you.

I really feel for you more than I can explain. :hug:

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2009, 13:22:09 PM »
Thank you for your kind thoughts today  ;D

Franta is back at the vets after having attacks at midnight, 0100 and 0200 and then again at 0830 whilst was writing up my notes and thinking he is so peaceful, do I want to upset him!

He is so unlike the Franta I know now and just walks into the carrier and lies there quietly all the hours journey.

Rachel has been treating him since his other probs in October and knows what he is usually like.......trashes his cage and shouts to be let out and for attention.

She is pretty certain now its a neuro problem and he will need an MRI scan but he is staying at the vets today for observation and possible xrays, bloods and other tests, depending on how he is. I suspect that if he doesnt have an attck while there they will not do anything but I would like her to see what happens, cos its so heartbreaking to watch and hear.

She thinks the MRI scan is gonma be about £2500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She is going to speak to Bristol to find out the cost and also how the insurance claim is made but somehow I have to come up with all the cost.

Without an MRI scan it cant be determined what is wrong with him and how he can be treated and she said he cant be left how he is now.

Ducha runs away when Franta has one of his attacks cos he is scared, Rachel said it sounds like he is almost having a fit. Misa is also upset.

I am feeling so emotional now its hard to do anything and feel he is slipping away from me  :'( :'(

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #161 on: February 13, 2009, 11:29:44 AM »
I am hoping no news is good news  :hug:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #160 on: February 13, 2009, 11:21:47 AM »
Thinking of you and Franta Gill - I hope you both had a restful night  :hug:

Love, huggles and positive vibes for you both xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2009, 11:14:48 AM »
I hope you and Franta have had a good night.  Sending lots of positive healing vibes  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: Rosie and Ruby x
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2009, 11:04:55 AM »
sending positive vibes your way
and Hope yourself and Franta had a good night
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2009, 10:46:58 AM »
I hope you're both in bed or at Tesco Gill.  :hug: :hug:

M & B xx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2009, 10:43:24 AM »
Bristol sounds a good idea really, if you can get there with Franta and they can see you fast. Then you will know what's wrong for sure. It's very hard when you don't know and have to guess at treatment, so I'd say go for it and if that other vet is sniffy, well so be it. It sounds like you have the full support of the woman vet anyhow.

I so hope that it is just a temporary vestibular thing and will go away soon. Am thinking of you Gill, all the very very best  :hug:

Link to CatChat