Author Topic: RIP Franta Napoleon 13 Aug 93 - 10 May 2011  (Read 427187 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Frantas change in behavior - seems to be seizure free again :)
« Reply #1195 on: February 02, 2010, 15:02:09 PM »
There could be good reasons for the different doses Gill.  There are lots of medicines which start out at higher doses and then reduce and Franta was extremely ill before.  There are also a fair number of incidences when drugs are administered altho not clinically proven in a particular species (Metacam was prescribed for cats for years without being properly approved for such use).  Sue is right, you need to discuss with a vet urgently and their ops may be over by now.

I do hope the link I sent hasn't created more confusion.  I only meant to supply contact details for manufacturer in case you wanted to ring them.  I think the details are just for the UK part of the French company?  I like to use Noah's compendium for details of cat medicines although cannot see reference to a 1% dose listed but there is Marbocyl SA listed for injecting cats

I hope you have been able to find Rachel's notes  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #1194 on: February 02, 2010, 14:39:02 PM »
One practise is not involved in Frantas care and did me a favour this morning by answering my question and the other one is being blocked by a receptionist who will just cut me off.

I too cant understand why they cant do that Sue but do know at both vets once scrubbed and operating they will not leave the surgical area but I find it hard to understand that all 3 vets are operating non-stop from 1100 until surgery starts....this smacks of money making and have never had this problem before with them. By making an appointment they will charge me for a consultation! and I am certainly not taking Franta but also do not want to leave him for a couple of hours until I know the poattern of how things are with him.

I was willing to acceot the colour on the basis of the link I had found but its the doseage now that is confusing me,,,,,,,,,,I think that 1% is right but cant find Rachels notes for me from back in February. I thought I had all Frants stuff together and must go upstairs and see if they are with his notes up there.

Have just checked the link I found and says manufactorer is the company that Rosella found, but in France, Cant find where I read that the injection stung and Franta did not even flinch last night at the vets but he wont sit still for me like he did last night.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1193 on: February 02, 2010, 14:25:17 PM »
Gill, I would try both vets practices - call them and say that you won't get off the line unless someone gets back to you, that you're extremely concerned and if anything happens when you try to administer the meds you will be holding them wholly liable.

They can't be so busy someone can't spare you less than five minutes to discuss this with you, whatever they've tried to claim.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #1192 on: February 02, 2010, 14:18:14 PM »
Hope you can get the doisng sorted out and that Franta is feeling better soon  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1191 on: February 02, 2010, 14:13:22 PM »
I dont know Rosella cos they will not know what the vet did, I just need the bloomin vet to ring........Oh hell where is the mobile ........sigh......found it!

Its also starting to look like Franta was wrongly dosed last time and given 2% instaed of 1% and thats what appears on the label last time and also what I was charged for, except when I went back for some extra syringes full and they were 1%

I just hate this lack of care and attention to detail and I guess I didnt notice, well wasnt looking to be honest and is this the reason that he has stayed well longer?

I wish I hadnt noticed any of this cos working myself up big time.if it was 2% then that may have been why the injections were hurting him cos am sure I read in that link it can sting and I have the scars to prove it on one hand.

have just checked the info in that link Rosella and its one of the versions of marbocyl in higher doses for cattle and pigs. It is sold under various trade names and this is one of them  :thanks:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #1190 on: February 02, 2010, 13:54:10 PM »
Wonder if it would be worth a call to company who makes it Gill?

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/compendium-datasheets_by_company/companies/-31795.html

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1189 on: February 02, 2010, 13:11:46 PM »
After a lot or searching have just found this

http://vmri.medagencies.org/SpcFrame.asp?Product_Identifier=FR/V/0107/004&BookMark=0&FirstLetter=M

It says that the pharmacutical version is yellow to beige powder and his injections are one percent, but dont understand why it has never been this colour before. It does say that once made up it only has a life of 28 days so my old stuff is well out of date.

yes its worrying me a lot, you are right

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1188 on: February 02, 2010, 13:06:11 PM »
Hope the meds soon start working  :hug:

Gill, can they not give you meds in advance so you always have some in?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1187 on: February 02, 2010, 12:57:34 PM »

Just had a swift look on some of the vetmeds sites to see if there was any indication of whether this would be a problem or not, but only found one refernce to the fact that sometimes it can result in orange tinged urine, so not much help there.  Are the other syringes you have left from last time still within their use by date?  I wonder if it might be better to use those if they are, or in the event you can't get hold of one of the vets to double check.  Am so sorry Gill, this must be increasing your anxiety.  :hug:

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1186 on: February 02, 2010, 12:49:10 PM »
Its marbocyl and still have two old syringes full from last time and definately clear like water

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1185 on: February 02, 2010, 12:47:41 PM »

Gill, what's the name of the medication in the syringe with the orangey tint? 

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1184 on: February 02, 2010, 12:43:01 PM »
They are refusing to ring me after the ops are done, say they dont have time!

My other vet was also operating but one of the other vets just answered the question to the receptionist to give to me but of course couldnt ask them about the orange tinge to the liquid.

I wish my head would just settle on the floor again!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1183 on: February 02, 2010, 12:38:10 PM »

That's understandable Gill.  :hug: :hug:

I think sometimes the vets don't appreciate how we may forget to ask something, or want to know something they don't think is necessary for us to know.  It doesn't help if their assistant is unfamiliar with a process, or indeed the language!  Of course they're busy but even our vet - who is a one man band - has a vet nurse who (if she doesn't know the answer) will take a message and ask the vet to call back after operations are done.

Am keeping everything crossed that everything will go smoothly with the injections and sending calming thoughts to you and to our gorgeous Frantaman.  :hug:

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1182 on: February 02, 2010, 12:09:54 PM »
Everythng was going fine until about 1015 and then he had another seizure, 17 hours from first one, which is a long time.

It was stronger than the first one but he still didnt wet himself which is good , I think.

He slept on the bed most of the night and had moved right up close to my face only a shory while before, I think.......afraid I am losing track of time..........and I was woken up by the noises he makes when the drool starts and teeth chattering and was able to get him on the floor just as the real thrashing started.

He was very upset after for about an hour, ate felix straight after.

have had problems with the vets this morning cos needed to move his injection forward by about 4 hours so that if I cant get it into him, I have time to get to the surgery before out of hours and they close at 1800, and I have an hours drive. Its a simple question but was told they were operating and thought it best if I made an appointment tonight!

So they expect me to drive for 2 hours and ask them in person for £20 plus, can I bring the injection forward and by then the time I want to change it too has passed!

I told them they need to ring me and in the meantime I will contact my other vet, This I have done and they say yes I can bring it forward but then it needs to stay that time, which is the intention. It all goes wrong when I cant get it into him cos then it is about 3 hrs before he can see someone to do it.

I am a bit worried cos the syringes this time are showing liquid which is slightly orange and its always looked like water before, they were made up by the vet so should be OK and am wishing I had asked him last night but he wasnt very talkative and I felt he was quite patronizing. I asked the nurse but she was foreign and did not know what the insurance claim form was!

Franta seems calm now although we have had howling and then constant pityful meows for about an hour or more. Just rushed upstairs cos thought i could hear him but nooooooooooo, its all in my head.

I am hoping that the abs will kick in quick and maybe he is not as bad as past times cos last time the hour gap between the last two seizures was 18 hrs and its never been as long as 17 hrs between the first two.

Must remember to add some probiotic powder to his food before his tum gets upset again.

Just in a total flap really!

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #1181 on: February 02, 2010, 11:57:15 AM »
Just seen this,  hope Franta is OK,  let us know the news  :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #1180 on: February 02, 2010, 11:15:16 AM »
Hope the injection went ok this morning Gill and is he eating?  :Luv2: :hug:

Mary and Bonnie xx
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #1179 on: February 02, 2010, 11:12:56 AM »
How is the little fella this morning?  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #1178 on: February 02, 2010, 10:39:23 AM »
Hi Gill

Been thinking of you both overnight (of course) and am a little relieved that it was a mildish one.  I do hope that you both had a quiet night although I'm sure any sleep you managed to fit in will have been disturbed.  It is great to hear that he has received his medication so quickly and if I recall past experience hopefully means it should kick in within a day or so?  So pleased that he "behaved" in the car.  I do believe it's important for you to try and be calm if you can and that would have been impossible if he was in distress  :hug:

So hope he doesn't have another and am sending lots of  :care: :care: :care: to you both   :hug: 

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #1177 on: February 02, 2010, 10:27:44 AM »
I hope he is feeling better today  :hug:

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #1176 on: February 02, 2010, 10:15:09 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #1175 on: February 02, 2010, 09:19:44 AM »
Oh Gill, sorry to read this, how is Franta this morning?  :hug: :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #1174 on: February 02, 2010, 09:15:21 AM »
Poor Franta and poor you , I hope he feels better soon xx :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1173 on: February 02, 2010, 08:41:18 AM »
hope everything is a bit calmer this morning Gill  :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #1172 on: February 02, 2010, 07:55:40 AM »
Fingers crossed the meds kick in quick.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1171 on: February 02, 2010, 07:00:23 AM »
Oh Gill, our poor 'ole blue eyes.   :hug:  Am glad this was a mild one, and hope that the injections will kick in and help keep it under control again.  It's good in one respect that he's gone as long as he has between seizures, and hope you've both managed to have a reasonably good night's sleep - I can imagine how tired you'll both be.   :hug: :hug:  Paddy sends his love to his Franta.   :catlove2:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1170 on: February 02, 2010, 00:18:27 AM »
Oh Gill, i hope he feels better soon. Sending you and gorgeous Franta lots of love and good vibes. :hug: :hug: :hug:x

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1169 on: February 01, 2010, 23:54:01 PM »
Thank you all for your good wishes and I dont feel calm at all I am afraid, although I am trying for Frantas sake.

His siezure was quite mild this time and he didnt wet himself and his thrashing was nowhere near as bad as before.

He was actually lying on my knee limpetted to me  as yesterday and then his head seemed to get stuck to the right and he started twitching.

Took me a few seconds to understand what was happening and put him on the floor but was able to keep a hand on him most of timer, usually I have to get totally clear or will be ripped to shreads.

He was disoriented but I dont think blind after, his eyes looked normal to me, he ate a dish of the hated felix and then just lay there drooling, so had to wait foir about half hour before taking him to the vets. He was just lying on his side in his carrier most of way there and back and think he is as exhausted as I feel.

He had his first marbocyl jab at the vets and then we have 6 more days of them and am wondering if I can bring them forward to around midday incase I dont get one done, cos otherwise he will have to go as an out of hours patient and cost £100 plus. I will ring the vets tomorrow and ask them.

I am wishing and hoping for no more seizures and its a year this month since the first ones and he has just gone seizure free for the longest time since then, and I was starting to feel very optimistic...........bloomin stupid me  :(

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #1168 on: February 01, 2010, 23:07:45 PM »
Poor Franta and poor you
Hope little blue eyes is soon better again -what a shock for this to happen again  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #1167 on: February 01, 2010, 22:39:32 PM »
Pmd you Gill  :hug: :hug:
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #1166 on: February 01, 2010, 22:37:18 PM »
 :hug: :hug: to you and Franta

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #1165 on: February 01, 2010, 22:36:58 PM »
Hoping Franta will be ok  :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #1164 on: February 01, 2010, 21:38:37 PM »
So sorry Gill. Sending you both much love and support.  :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #1163 on: February 01, 2010, 21:33:30 PM »
Gill calm thoughts being sent for you and Franta :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #1162 on: February 01, 2010, 20:28:50 PM »
Big  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: for you and Franta xxx keeping everything crossed for good news x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #1161 on: February 01, 2010, 20:16:30 PM »
 :hug: :hug:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #1160 on: February 01, 2010, 20:02:54 PM »
Hope Franta is ok  :hug:

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: All of my 7 furkids :o)
« Reply #1159 on: February 01, 2010, 19:32:36 PM »
 :hug: :hug:   hugs to you & Franta x x
Cats ... Pod, Rolo, Flora, Peaches & Ziggy
and
English Bull Terriers...  Lola & Tom

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #1158 on: February 01, 2010, 19:28:52 PM »
Oh Gill so sorry to hear about Franta, I know exactly how u must be feeling

Franta sending u lots of vibes and hugs for you and your Mum  :hug: :hug:
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #1157 on: February 01, 2010, 19:18:24 PM »
Hope he gets on OK hunnie  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1156 on: February 01, 2010, 18:56:04 PM »
Hope Franta is ok and you too Gill  :hug: :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Link to CatChat