Author Topic: RIP Franta Napoleon 13 Aug 93 - 10 May 2011  (Read 427222 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Frantas change in behavior - Very agitated......possible start of dementa
« Reply #1355 on: November 14, 2010, 23:31:50 PM »
Thank you all and I am going to combine this thread with the other one later cos someone has reminded me that her cat acts like this when he is going towards a seizure.

Its good for me to have it all in one place.

I will look at the massage thread tomorrow cos I think he would like that and remember reading about it many years ago in Your Cat.

I would love to do that Mary but Mark posted up about essentail oils or something ages ago and I realized that I was using something in the bathroom where the litter tray is that had oils in it and it seemed to coincide when he was ill before, so just not taking any chances.

I quite like Classic FM in the car Mark but all the chat and stuff drives me up the wall...............what channels dont have this?

I have started giving him food quite often cos that seemed to help him before and he seems to be quite hungry.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 00:51:45 AM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
Re: Frantas change in behavior - seems to be seizure free again :)
« Reply #1354 on: November 14, 2010, 23:26:50 PM »
I so hope you are right and he is fast asleep on the bed at present cos I have a crisis of my own and just need to be calm and relax.

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #1353 on: November 14, 2010, 22:29:14 PM »
Bonnie wants you to tell Franta Napoleon he's not allowed to get poorly as it's usually February when he's ill.  :hug:

What about an oil burner with calming oils such as lavender, chamomile, eucalyptus etc. - will do you good too.

Big hugs and kisses.

Bonnie and Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1352 on: November 14, 2010, 19:39:07 PM »
I know there is a big age difference between them but Memphis has been spooked by everything today (this is not normal). He is being more clingy than normal but won't settle properly (at the moment he is sat on the sky box for some strange reason).

He has jumped soooo many times today for no reason. Earlier he was sat on the arm of the chair and I reached to stroke him and he very nearly hit the ceiling since he jumped so high. Just now I was sat on the floor flicking through the Argos catalogue when something (I don't know what) spooked him, he jumped soooo hard that he bashed into he coffee table knocking most things onto the floor including a half full cup.

Really hope Franta is just having an off moment and it is nothing more.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #1351 on: November 14, 2010, 19:14:24 PM »
Gill have you tried massaging him ?,  it is supposed to excellant for calming cats

http://annisage.tripod.com/mfc/MassageForCats.html

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #1350 on: November 14, 2010, 19:02:19 PM »
I cant stand constant noise.

Not even classic FM?  :evillaugh:

That's what we have. Since I got the internet radio, I put on stations with no chat or adverts sometimes.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #1349 on: November 14, 2010, 18:50:21 PM »
Hope he settles down Gill  :hug:

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1348 on: November 14, 2010, 18:26:52 PM »
We dont do radios Mark so that would be strange for him but we have Tv on most nights and it will be going on soon..................I cant stand constant noise.

Franta wont eat 'human' food and is a very fussy eater sadly.

Will see if the tv helps when it goes on but suspect he may just go upstairs to get away from it...........wouldnt be so bad if they didnt turn all trailers and adverts up so much higher than the programmes, cos that upsets both of us .....sigh

Alice sounds how Franta is becoming but I know he is not deaf and most of the time not confused cos he knows what he doesnt want but is not to good working out what he does want!

When Kocka was still with me in London, she was nearly deaf and partially blind and was so pleased in a way about her being deaf cos of all the noise from upstairs,

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #1347 on: November 14, 2010, 18:19:50 PM »
I am sure I heard somewhere that you could give aggitated cats rescue remedy to calm them down,   dont do it without checking it out though  :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #1346 on: November 14, 2010, 18:09:45 PM »
Have you tried keeping a radio on Gill? - I find it helps Alice having the radio on 24/7 - she doesn't jump out of her skin at sudden outside noises any more since I started doing it. OH thinks she is deaf, but I'm sure she has some hearing. It is sad to see them confused. She howls at walls and things sometimes - even if I am there. She forgets. I have to comfort her and say "come on silly girl, it's OK"  :shy:

I bought some senilife but the tablets are too big. Apparently omega oils help blood flow to the brain which can help - one of the reasons I let her have a bit of salmon most days.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1345 on: November 14, 2010, 18:01:47 PM »
No its a half moon  ;D

He is awake now and lying by my side but the sound of the lappy keys brought him back from where ever his head was and caused him to twitch madly..................so sad,,,,,,,,,,,,,,its making him jump out of his skin.

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #1344 on: November 14, 2010, 17:56:22 PM »
It is not a full moon tonight is it ?,  my lot are all agitated today and that normally happens with a full moon for some reason  :hug:

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #1343 on: November 14, 2010, 17:55:55 PM »
When Shush was 18 she went missing for over a week which was devastating, she never ventured further than our garden as far as we knew.  She turned up in my room at a really early hour covered in cobwebs and yowling her head off I was so relieved to have her back  :Luv: I figured she'd forgotten her way home after jumping out the front window rather than the back of the house.

Possibly that was the start of her having a mild case of dementia as she'd yowl alot after that - normally stopping if we called to her and reminded her we were there with her.

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1342 on: November 14, 2010, 17:48:31 PM »
Thanks for that link JS and am pretty sure he is in the very start phase  :(

He is fast asleep at the moment but his brother is bopping around which never used to be the case until Metacam.

Franta cant have metacam cos of his one kidney and know he has a touch of arthritus in back legs.

I am not willing to stress him out and put him in the car to go to vets unless absolutely necessary and think going by that link and previous problems with his brain  he is a prime candidate sadly.

He has been head twitching on and off ever since his last problem and also during and he is rubbing his head on everything but also much more agressive at times towards me. It can be quite scarey cos he stares and turns his ears and then darts in and bites.

I was hoping that Franta would be Ok for ages but this week has shown him to go from normal cuddly to shouty agressive and back.

He gets upset at change and is very clingy  and he likes to master of his own parish, so guess if he feels confused at all, its very upsetting for him.

Guess its one day at a time from now on  :'(

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #1341 on: November 14, 2010, 17:43:43 PM »
 :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1340 on: November 14, 2010, 17:28:30 PM »
Oh Gill. It does sound a little like a possibility. :( Am sending huge hugs to you and Franta. :hug:

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/elderly/senility.html

Anything in here that helps?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #1339 on: November 14, 2010, 17:05:04 PM »
Sorry Franta is having problems and hope he is ok soon.
I have been wondering if Sophie is getting a little bit senile as on occasions she hasn''t been in the litter tray and gone elsewhere and also she does a yowling now most nights around 7 pm ish for no reason i can see.
She is okay when i shout her and talk to her , she also sleeps a lot too - she is 17 next year.

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1338 on: November 14, 2010, 14:04:04 PM »
I have been waiting for Shonagh to see this cos we have talked many times about her cats dementia as I also had one but she went to the Bridge over 5yrs ago and cant remember how it started.

I dont want to upset Shonagh cos Carrie only went to the Bridge so recently.

:thanks: Ellen

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #1337 on: November 14, 2010, 13:59:10 PM »
It is never worth the risk of stressing them more and can understand with him having one kidney why you are worried about him.  Maybe worth speaking to Shona as know she has had experience with a cat that had dementia she may be able to tell you a bit more about how it started.

I won't let the vets sedate my cat for blood tests because of her kidney problems and she is also 17 years old.  Hope that helps about Shonagh.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1336 on: November 14, 2010, 13:48:16 PM »
I am scared abot anything to do with Franta Ellen and being that you are fairly new to Purrs you dont know his history over last two years or so.  :(

If you look in the stats section there is an enormous Franta post there and thats the one that I did not want to have to reopen a couple of days ago.

He has only one kidney and due to his age and the probs on that thread it would be very dangerous to sedate him to get bloods and he is not showing signs of any kidney probs but someone else has said maybe Hyper-T !

He is impossible to get meds into him except by injection and even the last vet that saw him could not pill him and the stress caused him a seizure.

He is over 17 yrs old now but he is drifting into his own little world I think and little tiny noises are bringing him out and he is then scared cos doesnt know what they were or where they come from.

I am grateful for any or all thoughts Ellen  :hug: :hug:

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #1335 on: November 14, 2010, 13:24:11 PM »
Gill don't want to scare you but think you should get him checked out as had a foster boy that would do that and in the end the vets took blood to find out if there was an underlying medical cause.  When the results came back it showed Kidney function adnormalities.

Hope there is no reason medically why and hope you get him settled.

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1334 on: November 14, 2010, 13:18:39 PM »
Franta is back to being very agitated and shouting a lot..................no wind at all and he was so good yesterday.

He is just wandering around shouting and staring at nothing.

I clink dishes to gether when doing the food so they know that new food is down and the poor little man nearly jumped out of his skin at every clink  :(

I dont think he is right but cant remember what the start of dementia is like. Kocka had it but also other things and she used to shout and shout.

If anyone knows what the first signs are can you please let me know.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #1333 on: November 13, 2010, 17:37:06 PM »
Glad to hear Franta is a bit more settled :hug:

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1332 on: November 13, 2010, 16:23:49 PM »
Thank you so much and yes I get very worried if Mr Franta Napoleon changes his behaviour.  :hug:

He slept well last night and so did I  :evillaugh: He is still asleep as are all the others so think he is catching up on some lost shut eye  ;D

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #1331 on: November 13, 2010, 12:08:32 PM »
Although the wind wasn't audible indoors last night here, both Jaffa and Mosi were a bit hyper last night.  Mosi was messing around at bedtime and just as I was falling asleep (about 2am) he started up again and, unusually, Jaffa joined him and the pair of them were chasing each other around in the middle of the night!  I reckon it's the weather.  Certainly something seems to be making our cats agitated at the moment. 

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #1330 on: November 13, 2010, 09:36:51 AM »
LOts of love and hugs for Frantaman! :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #1329 on: November 13, 2010, 09:35:11 AM »
Hope all is well today with Frantaman Gill :hug: :hug:

I know how much you must panic when he has behavioural changes in case the old trouble is on it's way back but sounds like he was settling down?

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1328 on: November 12, 2010, 23:22:56 PM »
Thank you Mary and he seems to be much calmer now and has eaten and is asleep by the radiator.....................I think maybe last night when it was wild and I was sleeping he must have got very agitated then and didnt sleep much.

Its much calmer here now, although we have had worse nights than last night.

I have had my neck washed with a bristle tongue,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it must have been dirty  :rofl:

Just as I wrote he was asleep, he has sat up and is watching me....................I have to go food is a must!

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #1327 on: November 12, 2010, 22:25:00 PM »
I reckon it's the wind Gill - don't forget they can see and hear better than us.  My Smudge RIP was frightened to death of the wind but fireworks never bothered him.

Hope we are all right.

:hug: for you and lots of kisses and cuddles for Franta.  :Luv2:

Love Bonnie and Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1326 on: November 12, 2010, 19:52:28 PM »
I so hope you are right and he is fast asleep on the bed at present cos I have a crisis of my own and just need to be calm and relax.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #1325 on: November 12, 2010, 19:09:55 PM »
Poot's been hyper today too, not sure if its because he's surprised I'm home on a work day, but he just won't seem to settle properly like he normally does ............ I think the wind as spooked them  :-:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #1324 on: November 12, 2010, 17:14:54 PM »
Gill I have a feeling something is in the air as all of mine have been acting very hyper for around 3 weeks now and with being a qualified Reiki practioner have even give the cats Reiki but has not seemed to settle them at all.

Apart from the hyper/mischievous behaviour all seem well in themselves such as eating, alert and playful.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #1323 on: November 12, 2010, 15:50:53 PM »
Perhaps there's something in the air.

I got home last night and Drum was a bit weird. She often watches the walls but last night she was actually howling at them (she's quite chatty at the best of times but never howls). Her "mad half hour" was especially frantic last night and she kept bolting in and out of the room at an incredible speed!
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1322 on: November 12, 2010, 15:23:48 PM »
I dont want to bring back his other thread and so hope he is alright.

He is shouting most of time, walking around climbing up on things and looking up walls and at the ceiling. He doesnt seem to want what he wants to do.

He is licking any part of me he can get too but this usually ends in a bite.

The wind is unnoticeable indoors, even last night!

He is just not calm and have to say neither am I.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 13:14:53 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #1321 on: February 16, 2010, 15:18:37 PM »
Aw, much nicer watching the snow on TV that's for sure  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1320 on: February 16, 2010, 14:11:16 PM »
yes thanks but dont think franta is...........sigh

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #1319 on: February 15, 2010, 20:16:58 PM »
Hope u are enjoying the winter olympics. :)

I cant stay up late even when not working lol i wish i could though
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1318 on: February 15, 2010, 15:42:43 PM »
well dont have to go to work and this is the way my body clock works best  :innocent:

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #1317 on: February 14, 2010, 16:06:39 PM »
Glad u can stay up to that time i try then fall asleep on couch and wake up all sore grrrr

Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1316 on: February 14, 2010, 15:44:51 PM »
Oh yesssssssss  ;D

Link to CatChat