Author Topic: Is it too soon?  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
Re: Is it too soon?
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 19:16:17 PM »
I went to a friend on Saturday and just left mine with plenty of food, water and a litter tray. They have each other for company and were none the worse for a night alone. They did give that "where the  :censored: have you been, we're staaaaaaarving!" but I get that look most days when I get home from work anyway :evillaugh:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 12:38:26 PM »
Some cats take to catteries, others don't. Even if they do take to it, you'll be made to feel like a traitor! :shy: But the universal truth is that it's an upheaval and for one night just not worth it. It may take them weeks to forgive you!   :scared:

They will still punish you for not being around, mind you. But most of them crack and forgive you after about the third lump of Primula.  :naughty:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 06:25:58 AM »
I would leave them in your room over night so long as you can trust your flat mates not to let them out and to keep them safe.  You can always put them in a cattery for a few days trial before you need to actually use one when you go away

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 01:19:28 AM »
for one night i would leave them in your room.

timed feeders are good.

Offline catalyst

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Milo and Pagan
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 01:15:37 AM »
Ooh i didnt think of that. Iv never used a cattery before!! Despite having cats around most of my life. i think for one night they would be ok in the flat. I would still like to test the cattery out too though. It would be good to know they will be ok in there if i need to go away somewhere.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 00:26:47 AM »
You might not have the option of a cattery - my local one will not take cats for less than 4 nights
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 00:17:14 AM »
if only an overnight visit you could just restrict to your room with clean tray, plnty of food and water and ask a housemate to check on them...

or could they go with you? my cats are happy travellers and seem to like change but I know not all are like that

Offline catalyst

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Milo and Pagan
Is it too soon?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 23:44:19 PM »
Here is my first challenge. On the 7th of March my parents wants me to go down to their house (2 hours on a bus) for the night. There is a pub quiz on and i think they just want me to come down for a visit. It will be about 4 weeks since i will have moved into the flat with the cats. My options for the cats are leaving them in the flat with flat mates or finding a cattery, or getting one of those cat sitters into the flat. Hopefully by then the flat mates will have found that they are lovely animals and they dont take much looking after.

Do you think that it would be too soon to try a cattery out? I dont want to disrupt them too soon after moving, but in the future if i want to go away for more than a night i want to know that they will be ok in a place like a cattery where i know they will be properly looked after.

Link to CatChat