Author Topic: I feel guilty for leaving the boys  (Read 3948 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: I feel guilty for leaving the boys
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 16:52:17 PM »
That sounds good  ;D

Iadded an extension lead to mine, one for dogs so Kocka could run around ahead of me.............onlt trouble was she insisted on going round a bush and I had prblems then cos my balance was very rocky  :rofl: :rofl:

She was a featherweight cat but enjoyed it so much and she ran down a paving stone path too fast for me and I ended up lyong on the ground  :rofl:

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2009, 12:40:20 PM »
I am furiously working on the boys harness training as when we go up Scotland for a week they are coming with us ;D the people with the cottage let us roll up with dogs/cats/monkeys/even children! so they are fab and I can take the boys out to play in bracken and heather and trees  :Luv:

they can play in this (which is 20 yards behind the cottage)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 12:41:55 PM by Indys Mamma »

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 12:22:28 PM »
OH has eve found a fabulous hotel in Madeira. I will have to give in as it isn't fair.

Oooh which one Mark?? My parents have timeshares in Madeira so know it very well - should you go I can recommend some very nice restaurants! ;)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 11:29:54 AM »
Havent had a holiday since 1990s, well did go down to Devon over Christams New year just before I moved here buty Kocka came too  ;D

not had one since early 1990's either we just have days out although we keep saying we will  :-:

For various reasons, we haven't had a holiday since 2004 (mainly because of the B&B when it was open) - luckily we had 2 holidays that year - in fact OH gave me Thomas Cook vouchers for my birthday in July 2006 and they are still in the drawer  :evillaugh: - I am really being pushed to take a holiday now. OH is a bit annoyed as I won't even consider 2 weeks away. A week will be hard enough for me. I really don't want to leave the cats at all and would be happy with days out - OH has eve found a fabulous hotel in Madeira. I will have to give in as it isn't fair.

Same here Mark, Steve keeps saying lets get off somewhere and it isn't good really but tbh he never pushes it - he's as bad me deep down.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 10:51:34 AM »
Havent had a holiday since 1990s, well did go down to Devon over Christams New year just before I moved here buty Kocka came too  ;D

not had one since early 1990's either we just have days out although we keep saying we will  :-:

For various reasons, we haven't had a holiday since 2004 (mainly because of the B&B when it was open) - luckily we had 2 holidays that year - in fact OH gave me Thomas Cook vouchers for my birthday in July 2006 and they are still in the drawer  :evillaugh: - I am really being pushed to take a holiday now. OH is a bit annoyed as I won't even consider 2 weeks away. A week will be hard enough for me. I really don't want to leave the cats at all and would be happy with days out - OH has eve found a fabulous hotel in Madeira. I will have to give in as it isn't fair.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 09:39:03 AM »
I know exactly how you feel, I was inquiring at the cattery my mum recommended over the weekend and it hit me that I'm abandoning my babies for 10 days at the end of March! OH's mum was so sweet, she said she'd have loved to have them but she was so scared that they would get out of the front door (they live in a bungalow with no real way of shutting the cats anywhere when they go outside. I'm going to be worrying about them all holiday!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2009, 07:19:14 AM »

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009, 00:44:06 AM »
Misha still clingy... I spent the night with a cat nose in my ear and a twittery purr.... and claws in my shoulder if I moved

he even follows me if I get up to reach the phone and sit down again

*sigh*

Indy thinks he's nuts btw and is completely normal... the one good thing is Misha will now happily climb over Max when he wants to get to me, before he was too nervy... he's also had a growth spurt and is suddenly all legs

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 15:36:10 PM »
I always feel guilty too. I never know whether its worse when he's in the cattery (more of a wrench because its for longer, though at least I know he's safe, well fed, and has medical attention to hand should anything go wrong) or when our friend looks after him at home (I always worry he'll get into a fight, get lost, get beamed up by aliens, etc). He's always fine though, and these days rarely sulks for more than a day at most.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 15:28:37 PM »

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 09:31:54 AM »
Can't remember the last time I left mine  :-[

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 08:58:23 AM »
I hate leaving my boys so I feel your pain, I always work myself into a state when we go away. We've had to cancel this years holiday because the hotel isn't ready and you know what I've got ickling to want to rebook something I'd rather be at home with the boys  :shy:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 19:58:53 PM »
They should be OK then .... as long as your neighbour remembers the 2 door policy and your babies can't get out the front when he/she visits I'm sure they (the kitties) will be glad of a bit of company and a fuss.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 19:54:18 PM »
they have a cat flap leading into an enclosure 15 foot by 20 foot, so they can lead their normal life while I'm away

I intend to set the feeders for a couple of weeks before I go to make sure it all works

I'll still feel guilty as hell though :(
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 19:27:43 PM »
I think it's a good idea that your neighbour does pop in and check on your babies just in case there are any problems.  Will they be staying in the house or do they have a cat flap?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 19:24:46 PM »
I've got to go away for a couple of nights next month - I am going to leave timed feeders down (I have 8!) and ask a neighbour to pop in to see all is well - but when she opens the door they will come running, and be very upset that it's not me

would it be kinder to not have her call? there is very little chance there will be any problems while I'm away - opinions would be welcome
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 19:17:05 PM »
Well you just cant go...there thats easy, cancel it  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 18:51:17 PM »
I'm sure they'll be fine when you are in America ... as long as you bring them a pressie back I'm sure they'll forgive you  ;)

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 18:26:07 PM »
my brother (who lives here too) looked after them so care wasn't a worry, and Indy launched himself into my arms, had a couple cuddles, washed my fingers and then was back to normal

Misha is still being clingy and whingy and if I leave him in a room will wail until he finds me

according to Alex, my bro, they spent all their time clinging to him and crying or wailing at the front door. They both slept on my pillow on Tuesday night  :(

what am I going to do when I go to America for 2 weeks?!?!?!?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 18:28:16 PM by Indys Mamma »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 18:18:36 PM »
Don't feel guilty ... you're babies were safe, warm and at home.  Cats have an uncanny way of knowing exactly what buttons to press to make us feel guilty about leaving them alone ... but I bet while you were actually out of the house they were curled up asleep and would have hardly given you a second thought  ;)

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 18:12:04 PM »
Our house is like yours Gill.  The only door closed is the den and that's only because its got hubby's tools lying about and some of them are really sharp.

When we go away, my parents cat sit for us so they are well looked after.  Summer goes into a strop for about an hour when we come back and won't come anywhere near us.  The others two all over us.

Don't feel guilty honey x

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 18:10:38 PM »
Mine sulk like hell when i go away (and Beavis REALLY sulks!) but I find treats usually win em round! ;)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 18:07:21 PM »
Mine hate closed doors and I freeze because of them  :shify: :shify:

The only door in the house which is shut is the spare bedroom, where I am supposed to paint LOL........if I go in and close the door within minutes I have howling birman outside and even banging on the door. one howling birman will bring a second.......sigh.

When I the bath I shut bathroom door and they seem to have got the hang of that one and that I am not just gonna slip out of the house and leave them!

If I stay out too late Sasa, yes Sasa is waiting by the door for me and the runs as soon as I come in.

I try not to think what they do on the odd time I am away over night but they always know I am going and spend the 24 hrs before looking sad and rubbing against me and not letting me out of their sight.

Luckily they seem to forgive quite quickly, well in a few hours and am sure Misha will too

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 16:42:26 PM »
awww bless him  :Luv:

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 16:28:04 PM »
Mr T does this if I shut the door when Im in the loo!! Seriously, cats are SOOOOO good at making us feel guilty.  If all the doors ar closed between him and us he gets very upset and cries and wails until he is back able to be with us if he chooses.  He is quite happy to be in another room, provided all the doors are open to allow him to get to us. 
Dont feel guilty - we all need breaks.  Your little shadow will settle down again, given time :)
People Power Works!!!

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
I feel guilty for leaving the boys
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 16:12:53 PM »
I went to London Tuesday morning for an overnight stay, to see a show and meet some friends... I got back late last night and Misha hasn't left my side for more than a few minutes since. If I go out of sight or worse, close a door between us, he starts wailing and running around looking for me. It really sounds heartbreaking  :(

Looks like next time I go I will have to book Travel Inn or somewhere that allows pets, I can't take the guilt!

Link to CatChat