Author Topic: A Blip mystery for Purrs members to solve  (Read 2340 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: A Blip mystery for Purrs members to solve
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 20:10:55 PM »
maybe there are too many draughts on the floor with this horrid weather we are having  :evillaugh: :rofl: :Luv2:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Dark Moon

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 18:32:01 PM »
Could well be turf wars. Or not. No help.....

My Winston gets fed wherever he will eat. He will absolutely not condescend to eat with the other cats - unless....

I almost lost him a year and a half ago. The vet sent him home to die, and he almost did. I finally got him eating again by feeding him in bed. First on me. Yes... I would take tiny bits of food from the plate and put them on me as I lay in bed. He (also laying on me) would eat those. Then managed to get to the point where he would eat the food when placed on the bedspread beside me. (I do a lot of laundry!) He still will eat in bed when he refuses elsewhere. Same food, but it's better there (apparently). And, likely, he feels safer and even more loved there.

He is extremely possessive. I hand reared him from the time he was 5 days old, so as far as he's concerned, I am his. And maybe that's why he will eat with me when not eating elsewhere.

Only exception is if one of the other cats has the nerve to try to eat on the bed with him. Mostly he just glares at them and they get the message. Failing which, he will regally swat them aside. But it's a trick I learned (don't tell him!)... that if he refuses to eat even in bed (and when things are really bad, that still happens), all I really have to do is put the plate (because I do try to use those whenever possible!) down beside me and let someone else eat from it - and then suddenly it becomes delicious for Winnie as well (he may not want it but, by gosh, he's not about to let them have it either!).

I have tried to understand why he will eat when the food is on me, or the bed, or even the carpet - but not from the bowl or plate. It is true, though that most of my kitties prefer their food elsewhere. Will grab a mouthful and then haul it to the livingroom, there to dump it on the rug and eat it (I vacuum a lot too!). Doesn't seem to matter what type of bowl/plate/saucer I am using nor what type of detergent it has been washed in. They just prefer it elsewhere. Even those who will eat at the bowl will take the food out of the bowl, dump it down beside it, then eat. But, see, that's 'us' thinking. They don't have bowls and such in the wild (nor did their ancestors) so why should they eat meticulously from such things?)

I would think that were it turf wars, though, she'd still eat after the others have wandered off. But if she's eating when spoon-fed, she obviously wants you. And therefore is likely feeling a bit challenged, or at least territorial.

This has been no help. Sorry.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 13:51:08 PM »
something has disturbed her routine and she feels safer on the higher surface ...?

I think there may be something in this as she is engaged in turf wars with two tabby sisters who live along the road and come through our garden - although they don't linger, Blip has seen to that.

She does like me to spoon-feed her sometimes too but I think she's just being a bit spoilt when she does that.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 20:24:36 PM »
I have no idea!  ;D

If anyone knows, perhaps someone can tell me why Mosi has started to eat his meals and then halfway through goes into the bedroom, under the bed and I have to bring his half eaten meal in to him and let him finish it under the bed  :shify:

On second thoughts, I think I know the answer.  It's because he can.  I think they delight in taunting us with these strange foibles.

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 20:22:45 PM »
No idea................... but Summer won't eat wet food at floor level.  It has to be on the bench.  She'll eat dry food down there and the other two eat both wet and dry from their bowls on the floor.   Mysterious, dunno ................ cats being cats............ yep!!!  :rofl:

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 20:18:35 PM »
Hee hee it's those slippers, bet ya put them on half way through Blip's din dins and scared her rotton.  :rofl:  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 20:18:57 PM by Tan »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 20:16:37 PM »
Who knows? Cats are a law unto themselves!

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 20:14:16 PM »
She wants to be more on a level with you, but at first her hunger gets the better of her? :Crazy:  :-:  Cats are little puzzles, wrapped up in mysteries and tied with enigmas!! :Luv2:
People Power Works!!!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 20:09:39 PM »
something has disturbed her routine and she feels safer on the higher surface ...?

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
A Blip mystery for Purrs members to solve
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 20:08:07 PM »
This one has got me foxed.

Blip is always delighted to see me when I arrive home in the evenings and eager to have her supper.  She meets me at the front door and we walk together to the kitchen, with Blip winding round my legs and miaowing.  I throw off my coat on the way through  :rofl: and go straight to the kitchen to serve Blip  ;)

I dish out the food (plus Metacam) and put it down on Blip's mat, on the kitchen floor.  She tucks in enthusiastically for a minute or so - then she stops.  I'm then obliged to lift her dish onto one of the kitchen surfaces, whereupon she'll jump up and carry on eating.  But she won't finish her meal if I leave her supper on her mat.

You're going to say that this is a ritual we've developed, but it's only been happening in the past few weeks.

Any ideas why she's doing this?  Not that it matters, I'm just interested  ;D

Over to the Purrs sleuths...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Link to CatChat