Author Topic: Wet food for sensitive tummy?!  (Read 3999 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Wet food for sensitive tummy?!
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2009, 16:01:10 PM »
More raised bowls that are good for greedy cats. (Apparently!)

http://www.thesecreatures.com/SF_goldfish.shtml

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline abbienatti

• Kitten
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2009, 13:16:32 PM »
I was going to post on here too about this but it seems to have settled down...for now!

It began a couple of weeks ago when Atti wasn't eating any of the wet food put down for her and her poos were getting softer.  I gave her some tinned tuna (in spring water) and she promptly threw it up...her first  :sick: in the time we've had her! she's 7 months now. 

I've been told to not allow any food while she's ill, or just dry food, or just wet food! so as you can see, i'm confused  :Crazy: So i left her with fresh water and the science plan neutered cat crunchies for a while, plus Go Cat indoor crunchies which she thinks are a treat but are actually proper food LOL

At the mo, she's stopped eating anything with chunks and i've had to give away loads of food (luckily lots of my colleagues have cats).  She'll eat Felix as good as it looks, both kitten and cat varieties and Gourmet Perle (posh kit or what?) but i just bought Kitekat for the first time and it's not kitten variety but she loves it, it's in jelly and the chunks are small. Bingo! Her poos are now normal again hurrah! :rofl:

I also wondered whether her upset tummy could have anything to do with changing her litter?  I tried the wood based pellets with the pine smell instead of the usual catsan, cos as well as being cheaper, they use it at the shelter i help out at and it's less dusty.

A few days ago, instead of using her tray, she kept crying and went in the hallway instead! So we changed back to catsan and she's much happier. Typical!

Could it have been a coincidence? or is it possibly a reaction to the litter?

Anyway, sorry for hyjacking this thread, it's just exactly what my problem was too!!

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 10:16:20 AM »
I have found with Bunty that the Asdas own square pouches are the only thing that Bunty doesn't bring up now, they are only about 22p - probably not the healthiest thing but she has only about 5 a week and RC or JWB dry throughout the rest so hopefully gettting the right vitamins from them.

I have tried her on sooooooooooooooo many different wet foods as she loves them but straight way because she eats too fast it comes back up.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 18:01:14 PM »
I was sent an email with these bowls on and thought of this thread. Anyone having a similiar problem to the one my cousin had with her cats might be interested.

http://www.vurv.ca/

The bowls maow wall look a good solution; for older cats that have trouble too. ;)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 18:02:03 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 20:31:09 PM »
What gets  me is when they bring back up what they've just eaten and then ask for a fresh helping

(my Russian too overeats on dry to bring up a fur ball - so annoying because he never has any loose fur when I comb him but still manages to swallow a bellyful)
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 19:49:08 PM »
We have tried everything with Bunty as she eats wet food too fast then its straight back up, tried different foods, raising the bowl, feeding little bits at a time, etc but nothing works so we stick to dried for her with chicken as her treat.     Annoying though as she adores soft food!   Thought the Royal Canin would work but it wasn't to be!

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 17:55:41 PM »
Thanks all

I just came home, to a brand new puke on the floor (dry food chunks  :sick:) and a poo outside the litter tray. Is Capone trying to tell me something?

Who is Capone?  I don't remember seeing any pics for ageeeees, so much so I've forgotten what he looks like  :see: :pic:

He he, sorry! That reminds me... will upload a batch later!

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 16:43:23 PM »
The Royal Canin sensitive puches are very good - was the only thing Gem and Gracie kept down

Have you tried a sensitive dried food this may also help by mixing it with his usual - we have a couple with dicky tums - Merlin loves anything fish unfortunately it doesn't agree with him and Sailor is a bit the same so ours have one of the RC foods - they eat about 10 varieties currently along with Hills - they however do not like when its a bog standard food in fact the outside ferals revolt as well!

Our outside ferals are right fussy little devils  :naughty:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 16:38:25 PM »

Who is Capone?  I don't remember seeing any pics for ageeeees, so much so I've forgotten what he looks like  :see: :pic:
[/quote]

Helen, I totally agree.... we want more photos.  Hope his tum settles down soon Helena.  He might want some fresh fish.   :Luv2: :rofl:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 16:27:24 PM »
The Royal Canin sensitive puches are very good - was the only thing Gem and Gracie kept down

Have you tried a sensitive dried food this may also help by mixing it with his usual - we have a couple with dicky tums - Merlin loves anything fish unfortunately it doesn't agree with him and Sailor is a bit the same so ours have one of the RC foods - they eat about 10 varieties currently along with Hills - they however do not like when its a bog standard food in fact the outside ferals revolt as well!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 16:01:55 PM »
We have discovered that littlest Capones tummy is rather sensitive...

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 15:58:44 PM »
Royal Canin do a sensitive wet food in pouches.  It works wth Charlie when his tummy has been off and worked well with my old cat Dragan (RIP).

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 13:16:30 PM »
Misa and Ducha will do this and its due to eating too quick or too much and its regurgitaion and happens very soon after eating.

I dont bother about it to be honest and sometimes Misa will go mad on biscuits cos by doing this he will be sick and bring up a furball.........cats are so clever.

I have once in London seen a stray/greedy little theif rush through cat flap eat Kockas food, rush out , upchuck the lot and then start to eat it  :sick:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 13:15:37 PM »
Poor Capone  :( I'm not sure about which wet foods would be for sensitive tums only dry but when we first adopted Byron she wolfed everything like it as her last meal and was sick even if she left a bit - this eventually stopped.  If you think it could be the food type then elimination is what I would do so just buy 1 make at a time and see how he is with that for a few days if no luck with that then look at the flavours e.g. Byron can be sick with fish flavours.  Good luck.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 13:03:31 PM »
as MM says it may be trial and error until you find what works for him.

Are you using food in gravy or jelly?  often wet foods in gravy can aggravate cats tummy's and make them sick or give them the runs, hence we always stick to jelly foods.

you'll get there in the end, just takes a wee while to suss out hun :hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 12:31:21 PM »
Ooo. He sounds just like memphis. Memphis throws up hi life without fail. But he also has random throwing up moments. He's got quite a small appetite so I think it's combination of eating too much in one go and eating faster than he normally would. He would have half a pouch in the morning with a bit of dry and the same in the evening. He would be sick immediately after eating. He's even done it once on his prescription diet - that ended up with projectile vomit all up the Walls!!!!

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 11:35:02 AM »
Sounds like its going to be trial and error then, you'll crack it in the end  ;D

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 11:31:30 AM »
Well, I've only just started giving him 1/2 pouch at a time - so been giving him 1/2 pouch in the morning (around 7am when he starts going crazy clawing my nostrils while I'm asleep :tired: )
and then the 2nd half mid morning, say 11ish. It's the first serving that makes him throw up though - maybe it's because he eats on empty stomach (although he always has dry food out)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 11:23:54 AM »
Do you store half in the fridge? Thats something else that sets milly off  :tired:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 11:19:53 AM »
He doesn't eat like he's never seen food before, but he does get excited and starts eating with enthusiasm. He will never finish his bowl though - whether it's a whole pouch or 1/2 he always walks off without polishing everything off.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 11:10:41 AM »
Milly does this but thankfully not as often, she has small regular meals as it happened more on an empty tummy. Does he still eat like a stray eg like its his last meal?

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 10:58:33 AM »
Ooh, interesting. Maybe regurgitating as it happens so soon after eating - and you can tell exactly what he's had  :sick: He will walk away from the food bowl, and pretty much chuck it all up within a minute! You can tell when he is about to throw up, as it sounds like a big burp is about to come out. Maybe he eats it too quickly? Raising the food bowl is a good idea - will try!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 10:54:51 AM »
Is he being sick or is he regurgitating? (Horrible question but there is a difference. ;))

My friends cat kept wolfing down his food and then wandering off and bringing it straight back up again, so her partner raised the food bowl for him and now he takes things a bit more slowly and it hardly ever happens.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
Wet food for sensitive tummy?!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 10:48:38 AM »
We have discovered that littlest Capones tummy is rather sensitive when it comes to wet food. He quite often throws up after eating it - but it's random and unclear what makes him do this.

Since he was used to Felix and Whiskas this is what I've continued giving him. I tried Hi Life Essentials - once he threw it back up, another time it all stayed down. Same with Felix - sometimes it comes back up again straight away. I decided to only give him 1/2 pouch in morning, but this morning it all came up anyway  :sick:
The Felix prawn variety also makes him fart  :sick: REALLY bad. Bless.

Is there a wet food especially designed for sensitive tums? Or should I just cut down his wet food intake all together? A bit confusing, as I don't know what makes him throw up - most of the time it stays down! And I would like for him to continue eating wet food, not just dry.

Link to CatChat