Author Topic: One Very scared little baby :(  (Read 10422 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: One Very scared little baby :(
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2009, 20:47:27 PM »
Louies 'issue' is highly likely a bad reaction to an entire tom cat, one of mine particularly goes mental at any tom that enters the garden, she goes ballistic where as a strange cat that isnt entire she just gets agitated about it.
Toms insult alot of cats with their smelly behaviours  :sick:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2009, 19:12:46 PM »
Feliway plug-in's are good ... if you buy online they are often cheaper then at your vet and if you follow one of the link in the links section and buy from Vet-uk you can help a resuce as well http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?action=links (scroll to the bottom of the page and follow one of the links in the top 5 links box).

Something else you might want to try to help calm your furries is Bachs rescue remedy (available from most pharmacies and supermarkets).  A couple of drops in their drinking water and a drop rubbed behind their ears can help.http://www.bachfloweressences.co.uk/pdf/leaflets/animal.pdf
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2009, 19:11:02 PM »
possibly part of the bad reaction was also due to him smelling of vet. The various disinfectants and goodness knows what-all that are used at the vets make animals smell peculiar to their usual friends for a day or two. It might have been a less vigorous reaction if he had not just come home from the vet - easy does it, and yes, follow the recommendations as he has been out on the tiles for a while now ...

And the arm-grabbing thing. Just leave your arm lying limply and your cat will suddenly stop biting and grabbing, look around as if for a distraction, then start cleaning itself selfconsciously. They know it is wrong, but the movement just drives them wild (literally) for a moment or two. Less fuss you make about it the better for all concerned and for training outcomes ...

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2009, 19:04:01 PM »
Hi Sam,
 :thanks: for that i had a good read!!! seen as they have already had a run in i will leave it a week and try again!
We have been adviced by the vet to get a Feliway plug in thingy!  are these any good??

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2009, 18:25:17 PM »
Ahh I'm so glad he is back home and in good health.

With regards to him and Louie I would follow the advice for "introducing a new cat" in this thread:  http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4789.0.html

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2009, 17:33:44 PM »
ah, sounds like that could be part of the problem and hopefully will settle down
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2009, 13:42:58 PM »
 :shy:

nar we have had Fee-wee for just over 3 years now, but he went missing.  Finally returned home on Sunday! :Luv2:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 13:41:47 PM »
oh right, - I thought you'd only just got Felix, anyway lots of luck xx

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 13:25:35 PM »
Louie was the last to join us, but something must have happened for him for turn on felix like this,  they used to get on fine.
I will try everthing i can, Louie baby is not going anywhere..... not if i can help it. >:(

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 13:21:23 PM »
Glad all went well for Felix  :) I do hope you can sort something out with Louie it would seem unfair to rehome a cat you have had longer  :(

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 05:08:57 AM »
 :rofl:
his flirtyness came home yesterday!
The vet is very happy with him, and said that he had all the nurses in there fussing over him all night!
He was very vocal in the box on the way home, but when i stick my fingers through the cage he seemed to calm down and have a little purr!!
We got him home and arranged his "new home" in the kitchen, litter box and all.  He was SO scared though, and tried getting into the tumble dryer to hide.  In the end i cut a "door" through a washing basket put his new bed inside and covered it with a blanket, he went in and calmed down.  He has however had a run in with Louie, When Felix came out of the box we thought we would let him wonder around the flat before confining him to the kitchen. But this was a bad idea, as soon as Louie saw him he went for Felix.  Felix ran to the cat flap (which was locked thank god) and started head butting it trying to get free.  Louie went ballistic at him, and Joe had to separate them.  Puting Louie out for his punishment and putting Felix in the kitchen hoping he wouldnt feel so scared.
The kitchen door has been left shut all evening and night, and it took me laying on the kitchen floor for an hour (tea and ciggs to hand) to calm him down and allow him to feel settled.  He got there in the end.  Fell asleep (as he was SO dozzy).  The vet gave us some "after op" food, which he skoffed down and eventually after a couple of meows at the window Felix has a wee in the litter box!!!  How sad is it that i was excited the cat had a wee!!!!  ;D
We checked up on him everyhour untill our bed time, and he stayed in his make-shift bed just peeking his head round to see hows came in.  He was very loving and definately our newly named furry purry flirt lived up to his new title!!
This morning before i left for work I thought i would check  on him.  When i opened the kitchen door, he was out of bed, which was nice to see.  Meowing away at his food bowl!  So he had another pouch of "vet" food, and some biccy's.  Still purry and definatley not drousy anymore!!
The vet wants to see him again tonight to check his "area"!!!!!  But he is doing great.  :briggin:
Im not sure how was are going to cope with Louie though.  He has some sort of problem with Felix and i have no idea why.  Louie jumps on him straight away, and Felix is scared enough.
Any advice guys????
Joe said last night that we will try all we can to get them to get along with each other and take all the adive we can, but if Louie is going to continue being vicious to Felix, he will have to go.  :(  i dont want this so i need all the help i can get.

Louie was a stray, A baby when he was dumped on our balcony when we lived in Dagenham.  He has been with us every since.  He has some nutty moments, he could be laying on your lap being a furry purry flirt! but then all of a sudden he is wrapped around your arm as if its the only food available to him!  He knows this is wrong and is told off, and put outside for 15 minutes every time he does it.  It was getting less and less frequent but he done it to my neighbour the other day.  Our neighbour loves Louie to bits, always calls him for a cuddle when he pops over for a cuppa. And louie loves Darren too, and has never shown this bad side to him before.  But bitting Darren and drawing blood was not on. 
Im stuck on this one guys??
We have been told by the vet that due to being ill-treated as a baby, Louie has some hearing problems and can get easily startled, which is fine we have dealt with this for nearly 3 years.  And the attacks on our friends and family are now always expected so everyone is warned!  But why be like this to Felix?  especially when Louie was the last fur-bie to join our family??

The last thing i want is for Felix to go away again because he is so teriffied of Louie.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2009, 21:31:13 PM »
How is his royal flirtiness today?  Are his "marbles" still in place  :evillaugh:  or is he feeling a bit light behind???

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2009, 09:58:35 AM »
i think that, that has to be Felix's new aka name!!!!
as Coco is Coo-Coo-Ca-Choo!!
Louie is Louie-Von-Bluie!

SO......... 

Felix... The furry purry flirt!  (i will have to write that over his pic when i put it on here!!!!)

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 22:17:29 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: hehe Sam your description of him- furry purry flirt made me laugh, look forward to seeing some pictures of him ;D

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 20:29:36 PM »
pics of all my babies will be up soon

i promise x x x x x

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 20:27:58 PM »
Awww what fab news, I'm so pleased the wanderer has returned and hopefully after the hormones settle he'll settle down again  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 20:25:33 PM »
Once FeeFee has settled in back at home we will of course expect to see lots of pics of the little trouble maker  :Luv2:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 20:25:07 PM »
yes, always a challenge with English houses - I know ... :( Glad to hear he is at the vet and getting the snip - that will settle him down a bit and give him pause for thought  :evillaugh:

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 20:23:03 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

maybe not!!!!!  he seemed so different when he came out of the box from when he went in!!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 20:18:50 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  What great news.

Sounds like a typical boy ... I assume your Vet is a "lady".   He might not be such a furry purry flirt when he sees her post-op!  :rofl:

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 20:14:40 PM »
he is at the vets!!! ;D
had a check up and he is healthy "a very strong heart" so the vet said.
they are keeping him in for castration and microchipping!
he was all over the vet, purring and being all sexy!!!  ;D  ;)  :wow:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 20:09:05 PM »
Is the little man under house arrest yet?  Keeing everything crossed you've managed to catch and confine him  :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 20:06:47 PM »
Yeah they are, we have always wanted to get Felix done but could never get him in the box

Hopefully they wont see him as an outsider once hes lost his 'aroma' will take a few weeks to wear off

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 20:04:58 PM »
Hi Blackcat,
There are 2 doors between the kitchen and the front door & cat flap.
Seen as our place is so small this is the only option.  fingers crossed he will settle as soon as he is back from the doc's

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 20:02:04 PM »
can I suggest the kitchen will be a difficult room to confine him in as there are obviously openings to the outdoors in there - window, doors. So that means he will be able to run away easily. Better to have at least two doors between him and the outdoors so if he gets through one, you can still return him safely to his cell. With family in the house, that room should be one that is not commonly in use, and ideally should be one you can lock to prevent people opening the door out of habit without thinking about the cat escaping ...

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 19:59:57 PM »
Yeah they are, we have always wanted to get Felix done but could never get him in the box

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 19:56:53 PM »
Are your other 2 cats neutered?

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 13:26:51 PM »
I can't add any more than has been said already, just wanted to say I'm pleased he's come home, and that you can make quick progress with him xxx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 13:04:34 PM »
I'm glad to hear Felix is back

I agree with the others neutering and then house arrest for a bit

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 04:56:55 AM »
I think the only thing i can do for now is make the kitchen his new home, I will buy a litter box later and a separate bed for him.
The problem is we have another two babies, and Felix is ok with Co-co, but very scared of Louie. 
When Louie came into the kitchen yesterday, he didnt even realise Felix was sitting on the window seel, he just came in for some food, but as soon as felix saw Louie, he jumped right back out again.
I really dont know how to cope with these two.  Louie has always been over playfull, and I think it scared Felix so much, he ran away.
I dont want my baby gone again and will do anything to keep him home, or keep him coming back.
Im at work at the mo (yeah i know the time people!!! the joys of working for family ay!!!)  i will buy a litter tray on the way home and a new bed, and anything i can find to make Felix feel like he is home, and safe.
Fingers crossed I can get him in without the attack again.  :(
He seems to be gawging himself too, like no food is enough, I know he has lost weight because he looks and feels smaller, but biscuits, some fish and then eyeing up the cat food tins!!!!  He has always been an eater, but this is taking things to the extreme!  Ive tried the "little and often" rule, and as soon as he is called he meows back and jumps on the window again for some more munch!
If i can manage to keep him in a week then i will,book him into the vets.  Time for a full serive and M.O.T !!!! haha
Cheers for the advice guys,
anymore is REALLY appreciated.

Sonnie x

P.S
If anyone is in the Thurrock essex area, and fancies a visit! The kettles always hot and the advice once seeing him would be fab.  ;)

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 23:09:10 PM »
Im so happy that Felix has come home and agree you need to confine him for his own safety till hes had his op :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 20:25:10 PM »
Just wanted to add ... obviuosly if you are going to keep him in he will need a litter tray and you will need to be VERY VERY vigilant when it comes to opening and closing doors ... he will be hell bent on getting back out and he will be FAST!!!  It might actually be worth confining him to 1 room to start with ... this will help him to feel more secure and with cut down the risk of escape .... I know you say he won't use the catflap ... but trust me ... if he thinks that's the only way to get out .. he will use it .. and if necessary he will probably destroy it in the process so it might be an idea to block it off and lock it .

I know this all sounds really radical but you need to think of your babies safety and well being and he will thank you for it in the long run  :hug:

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 20:17:54 PM »
i agree, get him in and keep him in.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 20:16:54 PM »
Great news he is back - like the others I would definitely keep him inside until after his operation is well over - it will also give him a chance to relearn the art of being a domestic cat - he has been living wild for a few weeks and they unlearn domesticity very fast in those circumstances. Let him cry - it will drive you nuts, but it's no worse than a child throwing a tantrum. And we all know what happens when parents give in to that sort of behaviour. It may sound like the end of the world is nigh, but he will get over it... So glad he is back ...

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 20:10:54 PM »
Woo Hoo Sonnie, What wonderful news that Felix has come home.

I agree with Milly's Mum ... I would entice him indoors and then SHUT HIM IN!!!!  Until he has been neutered there is no guarantee that he will stay around ... especially if he gets a sniff of a female.  I know the noise he will make is heartbreaking but in the long run it's better to have him indoors crying for a while than to have him roaming free at night getting into fights at best or getting involved in an RTA at worst!  Sadly young tom cats loose all sense of  the dangers of traffic when their hormones take over and that's why so many of them end up being knocked down  :(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 19:46:13 PM »
Im afraid i let them cry, im the human and knows whats best! They soon get over it lol
It takes some weeks for their hormones to go down so he really needs to be kept in after his op whether he likes it or not. Once hes no longer hormonal he will have a different outlook on life and wont be fretting over whos weeing up his best lavender bush, he will also have made fresh bonds with the house

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 19:37:35 PM »
Hi Millys Mummy,

I have tried closing the window, but he just cries when hes trapped and makes such an awfull noise.
I thought that if i trap him, when he does get out he wont want to come back in  :'(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 19:19:26 PM »
Great news that he come home on his accord  ;D ;D :cheer:
I would bring him in and shut the window, strict house arrest for some weeks post neutering until he has lost his hormonal urges...
A microchip would be wise too incase he manages to flee

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
One Very scared little baby :(
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 19:13:39 PM »
Mixed emotions today everyone,
I was in my kitchen preparing a chicken for sunday roast, and guess who jumps on the window seel??   Yep.... Felix.
After last being home on christmas day, my baby has returned! :wow:
So happy to see him  :wow:
Felix has become VERY VERY scared of his surroundings  :innocent:   :(
He half came in through the window and i fed him on the window seel. He ate a healthy amount, but kept jumping back out the window at every little noise.  He wont use the cat-flap at all. 
He returned home at about 1pm, and is still there outside hiding under my car.  He has come in fully, only with my hubby picking him up and putting him on the floor where the cat plates are.  He stays long enough to get a mouth full of food, then hes back out on the window seel where he spits it out, chews it then swollows!!
 He will eat from our hands and has slowly allowed us to stroke him, and will poke his head through the window for some more fuss!
Im so happy he has finally returned home, but he is worrying me.  I do want to get him to the vets for a check up and to be neutered, but i dont want to scare him by picking him up and shoving him in a cat box.  (i had seen Felix a couple of weeks ago, but he attacked me quiet badly as i scared him by picking him up)
I have said to my hubby that we should keep going at his pace, feeding him as he wants through the window, and gaining our trust back.
But any advice would be fab.
I just cant believe my baby is finally home .
He looks quiet skinny and his fur is very dull.  He also has a scar across him nose, where he has obviously had a fight while being away from home.

Advice please everyone, and some confident vibes for our Fee-Fee baby.

Sonnie

Link to CatChat