Author Topic: Kitten with "soft bones"?  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: Kitten with "soft bones"?
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 08:30:27 AM »
The poor soul.   :(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 17:46:23 PM »
Im sure theres another special needs kitty out there if that is what steals your heart  ;D

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 12:40:46 PM »
Great news Jools. Good to know she will be safe and well cared for ...

Offline jools

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 12:26:25 PM »
Just wanted to update you. I emailed the rescue centre and has a reply this morning. I'm delighted to say that Katie will be staying with the lady who runs the centre. It is a form of rickets she's got. You can really see an improvement in her legs in photos posted just a couple of weeks apart.

With any luck wee Katie will continue to improve and I know she'll have a fab life with Shona down in the besutiful Scottish Borders.
love from Julie, Fifi and Daisy

Offline jools

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 21:02:44 PM »
If she remains crippled I would be concerned she might get overwhelmed though.
That would be my concern too. When we got Daisy from the rescue centre we made sure they matched us with a confident kitten. My house is really pretty mad - but also filled with love.

I just cannot got this we kit out of my mind. I think I'm going to speak to the shelter on Monday.

Thanks for the bump too, BTW

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 15:44:20 PM »
No idea either, but it does sound like a rickets sort of problem in which case intensive calcium and vitamins by injection may sort it out. As for your household, really you are the only judge of that one. If she remains crippled I would be concerned she might get overwhelmed though. Can you discuss her condition with the vet and find out how it will effect her? That way you will be in a better position to make a decision ...

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 15:04:10 PM »
No idea I'm afraid, just bumping this up in the hope that someone has experienced similar.  Would be lovely if this little girl had found her new home  :Luv2:

Offline jools

• Adult Cat
Kitten with "soft bones"?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 22:25:58 PM »
I've just been checking out the homes needed section of my local animal rescue. They have a little kitten who has soft bones. Her back legs can't carry her for very long and the blurb says that her front legs have improved and it's hoped the back ones might do the same. She is confined to a pen at the moment.

To tell you the truth, I'm kind of in love with this wee mite. However, we have a mental house with 2 other cats, 2 dogs and a 5 year old (who, I must say is fantastic with the pets) I'm not sure we'd even be the right home for her, but my question is has anyone ever heard of this condition before, and if so, what's the prognosis? Is it a rickets type thing?

I'm not bothered about this from an asthetic point of view, just wondering how practical it would be for her in my mad house!

Advice much appreciated.

Link to CatChat