Author Topic: Cats Protection  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: Cats Protection
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 23:54:25 PM »
pretty much invincible now - aren't we Sharon? Mark?

:scared: :evillaugh:

and plenty of others that don't come on here - although we know of one that reads but doesn't post, yet, Sally  :shify:

Nothing works without our Sally.  :blow kiss: She keeps up all from getting into too much mischief. :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 23:49:06 PM »
pretty much invincible now - aren't we Sharon? Mark?

:scared: :evillaugh:

and plenty of others that don't come on here - although we know of one that reads but doesn't post, yet, Sally  :shify:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 23:29:36 PM »
Oh.... bless you for being nervous.  :hug: But....  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The thing is with Cats Protection is that sometimes you do come across the odd despot, and they can spoil the experience if you let them. But for the most part folks prepared to devote their time, energy and a lot more for fluff balls are generally a lot nicer than you'll meet in a long time. I've made some wonderful friend through CP and we have a great laugh doing the work. It's about teamwork - or should be - and we at Canterbury have just got ourselves a great team going and are pretty much invincible now - aren't we Sharon? Mark?

Homecheckers are wonderful! And the more the better! When you are up against that kind of workload, if we can shave a day or two off the rehoming proceedure it means the next pud can come in faster.  :sneaky: So even if you don't get asked every week or every month, the time will come when no one else can do it for a fortnight and if you can do it immediately... well, those are the kinds of things that keep the machine moving efficiently.  ;)

If you guys want to ask any questions, or talk about things, there's loads of us CP bods around here.  :hug: :hug:

« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 23:30:43 PM by Pinkbear (Julie) »

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 23:16:31 PM »
I have just volunteered with them too - going along to my first meeting Tuesday night - a tad nervous as its their crimbo night and they are doing secret santas etc but the lady that responded to my e-mail sounded lovely  - so hopefully will be homechecking for them soon!!  :wow: :wow:
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 23:10:25 PM »
All I seem to recall about that part of the country is that they are constantly under pressure... aren't we all!  :rofl:

I'm sure I've heard a story about ferals from that part of the country - a service station and no one to help TNR.  :-: If I remember, I'll post the details.  :doh:

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 22:59:04 PM »
Expect the unexpected. To be honest each branch has its own ideas an ways so really you need to speak to your local branch members to find out what is what.

Ela's advice is spot on. It may have its frustrating moments mainly dealing internally and my own experience was mixed - some great people but the Branch Co-ordinator was a power freak who bowed to all the wishes, however unrealistic of the CP Head Office and never practically helped the group much. Thankfully, that is not the 'norm' judging by some of the CP volunteers on this site, whom I would gladly have worked with based on the quality of their advice and genuine cares and concerns.

The best advice I can offer was I think once written by Ela (??)and that is simply along the lines of  A rule book is to be followed blindly by fools but interpreted by wise men There is often no one fit rule book answer when looking after animal welfare; hopefully, the people you work with will all be acutely aware of that.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 17:59:27 PM »
I would totally agree! A lt of branches do not have actual adoption centres and use fosteres as their main carers for the cats which means that a lot of work done by volunteers is phone/paperwork based but there are also a lot of more 'hands on' types of roles- cat cuddler for instanceor transporter (taking cats to and from the vets, to fosteres, new homes etc). As Ela says, talk to your branch coordinator when they contact you and I am sure there will be the perfect role/s for you! Well done for volunteering.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 12:42:15 PM »
I know lots of you here work with them so any hints you can give me or info on what to expect?

Expect the unexpected. ;D

To be honest each branch has its own ideas an ways so really you need to speak to your local branch members to find out what is what.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
Cats Protection
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 11:29:56 AM »
2 queries.

I've decided to volunteer for Cats Protection. I'll only be able to manage one day a week and have just been emailed the form. I know lots of you here work with them so any hints you can give me or info on what to expect?

We have relatives in Weston super mare and after spending a few days with us and all the furballs they have finally been pushed over the edge and decided to adopt. They contacted CPL and have a home visit arranged for this weekend. Does anyone here work or have contact with the Weston branch?

To the mods: apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 11:54:13 AM by sixfurballs »

Link to CatChat