Author Topic: Boosters question  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Boosters question
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 19:51:42 PM »
I think the reason why vets say yearly is in case you use a cattery, as they have to be done yearly for them. I know one part of the vacc does only last a year, but hte other part lasts two, although I forget which one is whcih.
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 13:49:24 PM »
I think it will vary with the manufacturer, and it will be interpreted differently by different vets.  If a manufacturer states that yearly boosters are required, then the vet is bound to vaccinate to those guidelines but it isnt' going to offer immunity one day and then not the next because it is one year and one day since the vaccination.  So how long can you go before starting again?  I guess that's open to interpretation and many people (inc vets) consider vaccinations to offer immunity for longer than a year.  But if a cat needs to be up to date with vaccinations for a cattery or a cat show, then the manufacturers instructions are going to have to be followed and there has to be a cut off point.  But exactly when that cut off point shouldl be is not clear cut.  Mosi is now nearly 5 months late for his vaccinations.  I do think he probably still has some immunity from his previous vaccinations, but I'm going to start him again with the course of 2 (vet would say I have to anyway, but even if they didn't I would still do that) because I don't want the cattery looking at his certificate and saying that they don't consider his vaccinations up to date.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 13:34:23 PM »
Thats what I dont get, I see Gillian said she gets hers well over a year apart, sometimes not every year too, so how can the vets con us when she can have them that way?

I think vets have to advise you to do it yearly because that is the guide lines.
I know my own vet doesnt vac his cats every year on the dot !

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 13:10:06 PM »
I suppose it is like many things in life, people read the instructions and then do it how they think is best anyway, especially if it may be in their financial best interest. Also I think the suggested time limits any differ from manufacturer to manufacturer and of course different vets use different makes so that could be another reason for differences of opinion.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 12:43:54 PM »
Thats what I dont get, I see Gillian said she gets hers well over a year apart, sometimes not every year too, so how can the vets con us when she can have them that way?
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 12:11:49 PM »
My vets usually say you're ok for about a month but beyond that date you have to start again.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 08:56:58 AM »
I would agree that your vet is the best person to advise you as it can also depend on which 'make' the vet uses. As you know different companies have different ideals.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 08:07:30 AM »
I had exactly the same situation last year and when I spoke to my vets (previous vets as I have moved) they told me that they can do the booster any time up to two months after it's due to expire but then after that two month period they'd have to start the course again. Few people are exactly to the day with vaccinations and yours is within a couple of weeks so I'm sure will be fine. Of course double check with your vets to put your mind at rest :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 22:27:40 PM »
Speak to the vet Mark, its the only way you will find out the answer  :shify:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Boosters question
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 21:05:45 PM »
I got a card saying Alice is due for her boosters on 20th November. I really want to leave it until December when I am off as there aren't enough days in the week at the moment. Ideally I would prefer to leave it until mid Jan when the other 3 are due as it is a 5 mile drive and I would rather take them in pairs. Would that be too late? - it would be so much better to have them all due at the same time each year.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Link to CatChat