Author Topic: Is rosehip safe for cats?  (Read 10661 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Is rosehip safe for cats?
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2008, 20:03:09 PM »
IT pumps a liquid out, which I put in Molly's food, and she is very fussy, wont touch Seraquin.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 13:53:12 PM »
C, what does the cortaflex smell/taste like?

Hard to describe. MM.  A sort of musty Oxo cube?

Palatable sounding for Lola then, she loves musty stuff  :innocent:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2008, 09:39:20 AM »
sorry, am being thick here, but what do you mean by it's a 'pump'? Is it something you add to food or can give not in food, as Max will sometimes eat wet food and sometimes (like when his mum has carefully put his cosequin in it) refuse it.  When next I get the vet's attention I'll ask him what he thinks, many thanks.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 08:12:08 AM »
ArthriAid contains 600mg of Glucosamine per pump, although after the leading dose you only need half a pump (for up to 5kg) - it is Glucosamine HCL. Also contains Chondroitin Sulphate - 240mg. Not sure what it smells like, but Molly happily takes it in food, and she is incredibly fussy about what you put in her food. It was about £11 in VetUK for a 250ml bottle and even if she has one pump a day, that is 100 days worth
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 08:13:00 AM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 21:13:12 PM »
C, what does the cortaflex smell/taste like?

Hard to describe. MM.  A sort of musty Oxo cube?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 19:29:39 PM »
The quality of glucosamine is important too, hydrochloride is better than sulphate.

C, what does the cortaflex smell/taste like? The horse one was pungent so didnt get the cat one for lola incase it wasnt palatable for her, shes one of these OTT mega drool cats  :evillaugh:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 19:01:35 PM »
the cosequin he has is 250mg capsules. He can have up to 1 as he weighs a little more than 5kgs but not more than that. I have no idea about the dosage of combined; have added to my list of qs for the vet.
thanks!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 18:33:40 PM »
Often the amount of key ingredients like glucosamine and chondroitin can make a big difference. I dont know what the quantities are in the stuff you currently use but something with 500mg (or a 1000mg if you can find it) of glucosamine may be more effective.

:welcome: to Purrs, firstfor pets.  The amount of the active ingredient in any medication is certainly important.  In this case, do you mean that 500mg (or 1g) is a recommended daily dose?

Just for clarification, the recommended daily dose of glucosamine in Cosequin is 125mg for cats.  Obviously 500mg is four times, and 1g is eight times that amount.  So I'm hoping firstforpets will be able to provide a link to a paper or study showing the increased efficacy - and safety - of a much larger dose.  :thanks:

Something to discuss with your vet before proceeding, in any event.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 17:06:14 PM »
Often the amount of key ingredients like glucosamine and chondroitin can make a big difference. I dont know what the quantities are in the stuff you currently use but something with 500mg (or a 1000mg if you can find it) of glucosamine may be more effective.

:welcome: to Purrs, firstfor pets.  The amount of the active ingredient in any medication is certainly important.  In this case, do you mean that 500mg (or 1g) is a recommended daily dose?

Offline firstforpets

• Kitten
    • All Pet Beds
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 16:35:34 PM »
Hi,

Perhaps pop into google/yahoo effective herbal remedies dog arthritis or herbal supplements for dogs?? Maybe try Denes as they claim to be herbal supplements.

As previously mentioned I have also heard acupuncture may help if you can find a vet in your area which provides this service.

Hope things improve,

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 14:04:24 PM »
sorry, where do I get either of those please? The vet only has glucosamine and I normally order it online as it's cheaper (vet uk). I know the vet doesn't like metacam unless it's 100% necessary. Max limps a lot when he gets up but is otherwise ok, just need to control it or try to. He is 15 and has early CRF readings.

I got Blip's Cortaflex from Vet UK.  Here you are: http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_241 but don't forget to click through from one of the rescues  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 12:54:48 PM »
Sorry to contradict, but a homoeopath won't be able to advise you about herbal medicine (like rosehip) for Max, swampmaxmum.  You'd need a herbalist: it's a very, very different thing.

They are different but if you were to see a naturapath they usually deal with both and many other alternative treatments - depends what you're wanting though.  Good luck x
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 12:58:13 PM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 12:49:20 PM »
sorry, where do I get either of those please? The vet only has glucosamine and I normally order it online as it's cheaper (vet uk). I know the vet doesn't like metacam unless it's 100% necessary. Max limps a lot when he gets up but is otherwise ok, just need to control it or try to. He is 15 and has early CRF readings.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 21:49:05 PM »
I have Molly on Arthriaid, which has a large amount of glucosamine and chondroitin, as well as MSM. There are also things like Slippery Elm Bark that can help, as i am assuming Metacam is out of the question?

Cortaflex might be worth a try as well?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 21:38:15 PM »
I have Molly on Arthriaid, which has a large amount of glucosamine and chondroitin, as well as MSM. There are also things like Slippery Elm Bark that can help, as i am assuming Metacam is out of the question?
Please spay your cat

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 20:18:03 PM »
many thanks. I'll try to see if he will reply to emails.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 19:42:05 PM »
Good holsitic vet - Richard Allport (writes for Cat World) don't know if he's your area http://www.naturalmedicinecentre.co.uk/ - I think you can email him for queries. A holistic vet would be able to advise on homeopathic and herbal remedies, as well as offering other treatments, such as acupuncture.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 19:28:55 PM »
I didn't realise that homeopathic didn't include "herbals".

Herbalism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbalism

Homoeopathy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy

Whatever your views on the latter - and mine are well-known - they are not the same thing.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 19:16:50 PM »
Oh thanks for the correction Blip .... I didn't realise that homeopathic didn't include "herbals".  Learn something new everyday.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 18:54:08 PM »
Sorry to contradict, but a homoeopath won't be able to advise you about herbal medicine (like rosehip) for Max, swampmaxmum.  You'd need a herbalist: it's a very, very different thing.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 17:49:28 PM »
Here is a list of homeopathic vets

http://www.bahvs.com/ ... click on the link at the bottom of the page to find one near you :)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 17:45:20 PM »
does anyone know a good homeopathic vet that I could contact? Maybe about Swampy too. thanks!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 22:14:14 PM »
sorry hun can't answer this one.  I've done a bit of a search and it does seem there are products available for feline arthritis that contain rosehip ... but as to how effect they are or what quantity you should administer I really don't know.

Sorry :(

Maybe you could try contact a homeopathic vet and ask there advice on this one.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Is rosehip safe for cats?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 17:58:57 PM »
Max has arthritis which is gradually getting worse (he's 15). I've been giving him glucosamine (cosequin) for a year but can't see that it's helped hugely. I read an article where dogs are given rosehip instead with good results. Does anyone know if this is safe for cats, which one to get and what dosage to give please? Many thanks.

Link to CatChat