Author Topic: Going to toilet outside?  (Read 2988 times)

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
Re: Going to toilet outside?
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 09:03:09 AM »
Jameson goes out in all weathers, even when it's pouring down, that is what he prefer so we ended up removing the tray. However I am thinking of investing in an outdoor tray just to try it although I have a feeling it will be ignored. He loves his little spots in the shrublands, under the trees.

So those of us who love our cats view the litter tray as a necessary evil and a helpful early warning system.
I do not love my cat any less by not having a litter tray indoors.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 12:32:57 PM »
You can buy outdoor hooded litter trays which might be something you'd want to consider for your garden (but always have litter trays inside as well)

Please
don't encourage them to use your neighbours garden (I know of people who get upset if their cat poos in their own garden and the cat then gets told off but are perfectly happy for their cat to do it in someone elses garden).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 12:34:57 PM by Team Svartalfheims »
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Rachel(Rachette)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 12:20:12 PM »
oh & what i meant to say also..is that a friend of mine has turned a piece of her garden into a cat litter tray..i don't know if thats something that you could consider Kaymarie..she has used a patch under a bush in her garden..put a layer of cat litter on it..so her cats only poop in her garden & not that of her neighbours ( because she too is afraid of unkind neighbours as 1 of hers got poisaned, at her old address, we cant be sure but we're almost certain it was a neighbou :censored:r) & also she can keep an eye on their motions, so to speak..obviously she doesn't have small children about the place..i thought it was a good idea, i would do it if i had the space... ;D

Offline Rachel(Rachette)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 12:13:48 PM »
As i put earlier..Snooch goes toilet outside now but i do have a litter tray down, which she never uses..it was raining here all day yesterday..she came in at around 8:30 am & didn't go back out till it had stopped raining which was around 6:30pm..she didn't use her tray at all surely thats too long for a cat to hold it in...i was wondering if i should change the litter i use to a more outdoor type..at the moment i'm using the normal antoibacterial stone type litter....

We have some who will do crossed paws but will eventually use a tray and others who don't care but have a preference for one of the 3 types of littetr we use - wood pellets, paper and clumping which our latest 3 ferals used when in pens waiting to come to us of course it is now the most popular!

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 16:32:06 PM »
Jerry nand Gizzy wil sometimes go outside if they are having too much fun to come in - Beavis would not DREAM of getting his little tush cold by going outside and since kittenhood has always come in to go to the loo. :evillaugh:

Fredcat , as an ex stray , looks down on litter trays with disdain. in his opinion REAL cats go outside as nature intended.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 16:21:11 PM »
We have 20 trays around the house and have 24 indoor/outdoor and the rest indoor only and with the snow today all have been inside since 1pm and are gaily filling the trays faster than I can empty them!

We have some who will do crossed paws but will eventually use a tray and others who don't care but have a preference for one of the 3 types of littetr we use - wood pellets, paper and clumping which our latest 3 ferals used when in pens waiting to come to us of course it is now the most popular!

My advice is always have litter trays afterall think if someone removed your toilet facilities - also means no accidents around the house.

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 16:17:20 PM »
Ours always go indoors I wouldn't have it any other way with Jess's bladder issues.

Saying that he went to go in the garden in the summer and I was so horrified I gasped and we all turned and looked at him and then he wouldn't go (I felt awful) but I don't really want him going outside, or holding it waiting to go out to go.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 14:41:43 PM »
My out door cats always use their tray, and quite frankly I prefer them to do so. I also had threats from the neighbour as my kitten was pooping in their garden, I have to say this has left things very bitter between me and the neighbour.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 13:32:22 PM »
I don't particularly mind them using the trays, I just think its more hygienic that they went outside but I would keep one inside in case of emergencies like everyone has said. Oh well, I will just hope that they do the majority outside when they start to get older and keep my eye on what they do, do, inside.

Its not hygienic for your neighbour if they like gardening, cats are taken away and dumped or worse still poisoned by some green fingered cat hating people so i would do your best to encourage them to use their trays!
My neighbour claims my cats poo on his lawn yet i get most of my lots in the trays fortunately hes not a horrible person because it would be my lot who paid the price for someone elses poop  >:(

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 19:15:50 PM »
no such luck! mine use the neighbours' gardens when the weather is dry, but otherwise, home is always preferable for them, for wees at least. Poos tend to be done outside, but sometimes inside, which gives me a chance to see what is going on...

Offline KayMarie

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 19:05:51 PM »
I don't particularly mind them using the trays, I just think its more hygeinic that they went outside but I would keep one inside in case of emergencies like everyone has said. Oh well, I will just hope that they do the majority outside when they start to get older and keep my eye on what they do, do, inside.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 18:59:26 PM »
Mine usually come in to go. Just part of having cats IMO - nobody particularly enjoys cleaning them out (I hope  :scared:  :evillaugh: ) but just another chore.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 18:56:47 PM »
What the others say is exactly right.

I dont think you train cats to go outside and indoor trays are always necessary even if one cat has a preference for outdoors.

They need to have a choice and even if they dont use amn indoor tray for most of the time, suddenelt someone will have the need. It could be they get didturbed bt another cat and feel scred or it just maybe the weayjer, or it maybe they want more comfort and not having to rush ouside in an emergency.

I have 3 trays indoors at all times fior 4 cats, the one upstairs uis used all the time by one cat and maybe at times by others.

The two downstairs are never normally used but overnight one has been used which is the second time in under a week!

If I have to go away, all 6 trays are spread around the house.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 18:47:51 PM »
Hi, most of my cats if out in the garden have come in to use the tray, my sister's cat never did a poo in the tray only wees so I think it probably just depends on the cats preference.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Rachel(Rachette)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 18:47:31 PM »
Couldn't have put it any better..my cat started going outside all the time when she was around a year old..i hate it because i cannot tell if she has an upset stomach or urinary tract issues....

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 18:42:21 PM »
Most cats that are litter trained will use the litter tray in preference to outside. at this time of year, this is more likely as the ground is cold and wet (and we all know that cats hate cold and wet  :Luv2: ). There are advantages to keeping them using the inside litter tray as this way you can pick up on early symptoms of tummy upsets and more serious problems like urinary tract issues. So those of us who love our cats view the litter tray as a necessary evil and a helpful early warning system.

Also, if you keep them in at night (which is also recommended for their safety, though others on this forum have different views) then a litter tray remains a necessary piece of equipment.

Offline KayMarie

• Kitten
Going to toilet outside?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 18:31:23 PM »
I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this...

So, I got litter trays for the kittens, when they were kittens, to use. Now that they are going out everyday, I wanted to reduce them using the litter tray and go outside to toilet but they seem to save it up and come in and do it! Do you think they will reduce the amount they use the toilet tray inside when they get in to a routine of going out everyday?  Or do I need to "train" them to go outside? If so does anyone have any tips on how to train them to go outside to toilet if please :)

Thank you

Kayleigh
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 18:36:35 PM by KayMarie »

Link to CatChat