Author Topic: Rabbits  (Read 2757 times)

Offline Pretty_Kitty

• Kitten
    • BPP Creations
  • Slave to: Pandora & Possum
Re: Rabbits
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 08:22:08 AM »
*waves* I have the bunny passion too, I'm just trying to talk her out of it as requested  :evillaugh:  I have 4 of my own + 1 foster at the moment. 

Are you a member on RU pretty kitty, you seem somewhat familiar  :shify:

lol! I am indeed! How did you guess? xx
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 12:35:00 PM by Pretty_Kitty »
Mummy to:
2 Cats: Pandora (1 year) & Possum (8 weeks)
1 Bunny - Bumble (7 years)

Soon to be launching BPP Creations. A natural pet treat business - Stay Tuned - https://www.facebook.com/groups/773730239412740/

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Chiana and Salem
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 22:11:05 PM »
well i live with my mum and bro anyway and they would not let me get one anyway cause we feel riff has been quite insecure recently and think new animal would just make that worse i think hes insecure partly because i volunteer at manchester dogs home and so go out ok but come home smellin of doggies anyone see my doggy friend on paul o grady the other week she is olive the mastif
The world is a dark place because of negativity so lets brighten it up with some possitivity

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 20:27:31 PM »
*waves* I have the bunny passion too, I'm just trying to talk her out of it as requested  :evillaugh:  I have 4 of my own + 1 foster at the moment. 

Are you a member on RU pretty kitty, you seem somewhat familiar  :shify:

Offline Pretty_Kitty

• Kitten
    • BPP Creations
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 19:37:57 PM »
I can't really talk you out of it as I love them, they are so intelligent and responsive to us!

Without doubt!!! Mig follows me around and loves having a really big snuggle!! He's definitely intelligent and knows perfectly well how to steal his food when he's on one side of bars and the food is on the other a few feet away  :shify:
I'm so glad you share my passion, were not doing a good job of talking her out of it though  :evillaugh: xx
Mummy to:

Soon to be launching BPP Creations. A natural pet treat business - Stay Tuned - https://www.facebook.com/groups/773730239412740/

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 19:15:30 PM »
I can't really talk you out of it as I love them, they are so intelligent and responsive to us!

Without doubt!!! Mig follows me around and loves having a really big snuggle!! He's definitely intelligent and knows perfectly well how to steal his food when he's on one side of bars and the food is on the other a few feet away  :shify:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Pretty_Kitty

• Kitten
    • BPP Creations
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 18:42:56 PM »
Hi,

I have 3 house buns and I love them to bits!!

I do have to agree that they are VERY expensive!

Do you know which county the bun is, I may be able to find someone to help. Please PM me if you don't want to post.

xxx
Mummy to:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 18:20:47 PM »
I love rabbits. Sounds like fun at your house Den

:evillaugh: :evillaugh: It is!! I've got it all down to an art, the only part where it isn't fun is when they all have runny bums and sick tummies at the same time. That's happened once or twice  :shocked: Or when they all decide to have a naughty day at the same time  :-:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 18:16:01 PM »
I love rabbits. Sounds like fun at your house Den

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 18:14:15 PM »
I have a house rabbit. He's my absolute pride and joy. Love him to pieces (don't tell the other lot  :shify:). He has definitely cost me more than my cat and dog. I actually worry about him more as well because rabbits don't show their illnesses until they've turned into a bigger problem. He has easily cost more in vet bills. He's in perfect health but his recovery after his neuter didn't go well and he was really poorly - that cost me a couple of hundred. He has had GI Stasis a couple of times - thats because he has a sensitive tum. He cannot eat vegetables very often. He's fine with carrots but he doesn't get them more than a couple of times a week. Plus carrots aren't good in large amounts. Because of his sensitive tummy I make sure he has the best quality hay and variety of hay possible which makes up 97% of his diet. Which costs a small fortune  :Crazy: He wont eat grass, unless it's a specific type and it's freshly handpicked.

We just redecorated and one of the first things decided on was getting rid of all the wallpaper in the house as Mig decided wallpaper was very tasty and he likes the patchy wallpaper look  :evillaugh: He did have a lot of freedom in the house until Memphis came along. Mig LOVES my dog to pieces, likewise she loves him. However, he haaaaaates Memphis (and I don't blame him really as Memph keeps poking him on the head  :shocked:). I don't have to worry about the cat eating the rabbit in this house as it would be the other way around  :evillaugh: It does require management as I can't keep them out together ... Mig is either loose in the bathroom (which is large) or my bedroom during the day and he gets put to bed at night. He is pretty good, he will nibble floorboards without fail! If anything is out of place he makes sure he tidies up, in his own bunny way .. they are sooooo particular as to where things go  :evillaugh: Toilet roll isn't safe around him either  :-: Neither are tissues, or any form of paper work.

So yeah lol he's harder and more expensive than the other 2!

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 18:01:04 PM »
well i really want one that i met when volunteering at society for abandoned animals im the only one that has soft spot for her and tbh they would do home check see that i have cats and would say no because she bites id love to have dogs cats and rabbit and maybe a hamster all living in harmony but cant see it happening in my house might happen if i win the lottery lol
The world is a dark place because of negativity so lets brighten it up with some possitivity

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 17:13:28 PM »
I can help talk you out of it if you like  :naughty:  If you can't afford one (approx £60 a year for vaccinations 2*myxi, 1*VHD, £50 for initial neutering, £<insert number here> for dental/other health problems, plus housing, ongoing food, bedding etc...) then I would definitely advise against it, as rabbits are social animals and should really be kept in pairs...so if you can't afford all of the above for one, then you're looking at a good few hundreds for two.  Some people I know have taken buns from freecycle/freeads and a good proportion of them have ongoing health problems, mainly things like infected eyes/teeth/snuffles, all of which have become chronic because they weren't dealt with early enough...so there's a good chance you wouldn't be getting a lovely healthy bun.  Plus you're right about the cats of course - mostly cats are more scared of buns than the other way round but there's always a chance they'll take a swipe and cause an injury if left unsupervised.  And if you have a catflap, a free range bun could well learn how to let him/herself out!  And they're likely to chew anything in sight - skirting boards, cables, door frames etc etc, so prepare for destruction...

Does that "help"  :naughty:      

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 17:13:19 PM »
its really hard to resist when you hear about animals in need, I couldn't even look on stuff like that because I'd end up with all sorts of waifs and strays and if my Star didn't have such a messed up head would definitely have more than four cats -  if you really can't afford it its probably the best reason not to but only you can really decide

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
Rabbits
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 17:02:02 PM »
Im so tempted to go for one of the rabbits on freecycle that needs new home but i know i cant especially after two of our cats having cystitus earlier this year ( we think due the influx of ferals in the garden at the time) sorry i know im going on  i just need to talk myself out of it i cant afford one anyway and i would only have them as house rabbits and the bedrooms in my house are bare floor boards plus i have a fear of the cats killing a rabbit i know its not very often you find cats killing rabbits but knowing my luck my cat would be the one to do it

Link to CatChat