Author Topic: A very worried mummy - Support and vibes for strength needed.  (Read 18020 times)

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
Re: A very worried mummy - MORE HELP NEEDED WITH LAYLA PLEASE!
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2008, 13:57:06 PM »

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat

PLEASE GIVE A BLACK CAT A CHANCE LOTS ARE LEFT IN RESCUE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR COLOUR.

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2008, 13:20:17 PM »
No they are all good ideas! When she's in the crate she has a little furry igloo which she loves and doesn't tend to toilet in but if I just leave a blanket or anything else she will so will stick with the igloo as it's easy to clean the outside. Although if she does toilet in that again, I shall get a plastic one as that sounds like a good idea! I tend to put incontinence pads in her bed but putting them around the trays sounds like a great idea! I will go and get some at pets at home later (puppy training pads) but if you know anwhere I can buy thm cheaper then do share!
Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2008, 12:50:02 PM »
It must be hard for you I must admit I would feel guilty too but if she doesn't mind been in there maybe try it for a week or so?  What type of bed does she have - at the rescue I volunteer at there is often cats that wet the bed but they have the plastic vet beds and then we just take out the piece of fleece and wash it.  Dont know if that would be any easier for you.  We also use some kind of pads to put in the bottom of crates and carriers that soak wee up really well Ill find out abit more about them what they are called etc maybe you could use them around the trays and in the crate then you could just throw them away when they are dirty.  Sorry if im not much help I can just see how hard it must all be for you!!

PLEASE GIVE A BLACK CAT A CHANCE LOTS ARE LEFT IN RESCUE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR COLOUR.

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2008, 12:27:43 PM »
This was something we actually did for quite some time. We got the cage/crate for litter training initially- did 2 weeks with just the basics and it did help a little but again it was a little inconsistant so then we adapted it to just using the crate at night. It did solve the problem of the carpets at night (although daytime can be problematic at times too!) but I found the whole concept quite difficult to get my head around as I would often feel guilty about putting her in there although she did not seem to have a problem with it at all, in fact she used to go and jump in there at bedtime of her own accord! The other thing that is difficult to manage is the time-factor as she makes such a mess in the crate it takes about half an hour or more to clean the crate everyday just to put her back in it. She has no quarms about pooing/weeing in her bed/ nr food bowls etc. I have been seriously thinking about going back to this but am not sure how fair it is to keep her in the crate over night?

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2008, 12:12:46 PM »
Im so sorry you are having so many problems it must be soooo hard for you all  :hug:  Just a thought you may have already tried this and some people may not agree but could you get a large mesh dog cage to put her and her tray in at night?  With the tray in the cage with her she may use it to keep the cage clean?  I know it doesnt solve the problem but at least you wouldnt have to wake up and start hunting for the mess!!  I hope thing get sorted for you soon  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2008, 11:10:02 AM »
Sorry in advance that this is a bit long and rambley... don't expect too much from the spelling either as there will be lots of typos more than likely. I've been up most of the night, tossing and  worrying about what we are going to do with Layla so am rather tired!........

Well we have started the treatment and that's fine, at least where Layla is concerned, a months antibiotics twice daily for her are fine as she's so placid I can just pop them in, and even Rufus is still small enough that I can hold all his limbs while I do it BUT Oscar, bless him is not a happy boy! We have to do the full towel treatment and he wails cause he doesn't like being picked up at the best of times (very cuddly on laps but has never liked to be held for more than a few seconds!) and his are BIG tablets that I have to section as well so it takes a few goes to get his down him. Of course it will all be worth it in the end once they are all free of Chlamydophila. The vet and I decided it would be best to treat all 3 cats as Layla could have easily passed it on and then they may well pass it back to her. It seems more than likely as she gave them all conjunctivitis and that's the main symptom of chlamydophilla.

Anyways, that aside Layla is still a BIG problem. I really don't mean to sound heartless as I love her SO MUCH but my OH and I are literally at the end of our teathers. Please read back through the previous threads if you are new to this, the first post tells all her history.
Basically, her toiletting has got to the point where we are so fed up! We have trays everywhere, using the only litter she will attempt to use (sometimes) We even have trays in the dining room! (eeww!) I have Feliway on the go all the time and she's on a diet for sensitive stomachs. We have tried all kinds of litter training techniques that I have tried and tested with lots of rescues, but she is just completely inconsistant. The vet has said to me that he thinks her possible (well likely) brain damage has a lot to do with the fact she struggles with the concept and is inconsistant.

Take this morning for example, I woke up and came downstairs and there was a big sloppy poo in the tray, as many trays as we offer, she will only use one of them (???) but nether the less she had gone in the said tray and I was very pleased, almost jumoing up and down on the spot type pleased as it had been so long since she's used any tray... I gave her lots of 'well done' cuddles and a couple of temptations which she is obsessed with and got the nappy bags out to clean the tray quick. I had to pop to the loo quickly myself though so left the bags on the side. By the time I got back... she was pooing on the carpet next to the tray... AAGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So as always, I made sure I was really calm although I was screaming inside and went to clean it all up. As she was walking away, she managed to get it on her foot so I had to put her in the garden to clean herself off as I really didn't want it all over the sofa and when I got back to the tray.... Rufus was trying to help by cleaning up the poo himself. He's a very clea cat and really doesn't like the fact Layla never covers up so was trying to bury it on her behalf! Bless him! The problem was, he also got the poo on his foot in the process! He was absolutely discusted by this and then sat next to me washing himself while I was washing the carpet again!

The thing is, apart from the fact that I just dread coming downstairs in the mornng/ home from work to find poo that I have to clear up. We live in a rented house. As it happens we have been told we can stay here for a few years and then will more than likely have a chance to buy it in a few years BUT if we have an inspection which is possible, we may end up without somewhere to live because she is completely wrecking the carpets. I have no idea what she's doing for wee either as I haven;t found any signs of her urinating round the house and I know from when she did it in our old flat, it was very obvious but that's a worry too.

My OH loves her to bits BUT he is completely exasperated and every single day at the moment, he tells me he doesn't know how much longer he will be able to put up with it. To be honest, although I keep saying 'think about how much we love her though' to him all the time, I too am feeling the stress and just don't know what the answer is.

We have been spending at least £200 a month in vets fees for the last few months (last month was £400) and it's got to the point where although it's not about the money, we are not hugely well of and are having to seriously go without every month as a consequence. As we inherited her with all her problems (althogh we knew little about them until she was firmly lodged in the household, we can';t claim a lot on the insurance either as most things are previous conditions.

What I really want to know is... What would you guys do if you were in this situation????????

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: A very worried mummy :( RESULTS IN
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2008, 10:39:26 AM »
me too. I'm so glad that it's not herpes but instead something you can get rid of. What a relief and good luck with the antibiotics. I'm sure there must be something you can give at the same time to help the tum - probiotics may work straight afterwards but may be killed by the antibiotic if given during that treatment (?). One thing we used to use was Diarsanyl (sp?).

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2008, 09:58:23 AM »
Glad it is something treatable, fingers crossed
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2008, 19:31:50 PM »
Glad its something treatable  ;D
Longterm ABs do often affect the stomach  :sick: so a probiotic supplement may help her abit.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2008, 13:20:16 PM »
Good news   ;D Hope the vet can work out a treatment plan that agrees with her  :)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2008, 12:56:59 PM »
Yeah I am!!! It's nice it can be something we can all be free of. I need to talk to the vet about a couple of things though: Whether or not the whole house needs to be teated as the conjunctivitis spread to all three so they probably have it too. I don't want them to not be done and then give it back to her (vicious circle!) and also about what antibiotics she can ahve because the ones she had last time gave her the most horrendous diarrhoea which when she was losing the amount of fluids she was (sorry to be gross!) that's not going to be at all good for her bladder problems... plus also, she couldn't be left unsupervised in the house at all because she was doing it everywhere as it was so nasty. I ahve been researching and there are a couple of ways to treat it so hopefully my vet will be able to come up with a good course of action.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2008, 10:44:58 AM »
So pleased that Layla will get over this given a long course of anti biotics. You must be so relieved that there is light ahead  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2008, 05:30:33 AM »
Brilliant news

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2008, 22:26:35 PM »
That is great news Deb, you must be feeling so relieved Hun  :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2008, 22:14:59 PM »
Well the vet called and left a message on my answer phone. Layla's results have come in- the cat flu strain she has is chlamydophila, negative for herpes and also calici. Previous vet thought she had herpes but never actually tested. This is actually pretty good news because it can be cleared with 30 days of antibiotics. I am going to call the vet on Monday to discuss treatment as it was closed by the time I got the message.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: A very worried mummy :( swabs done but more bad news :(
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2008, 19:05:25 PM »
Glad she is seeming better
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2008, 18:51:30 PM »
Well the cystitis has cleared up thankfully but she's got a dodgy tum from the tablets she's on for her cold. (if it's not one thing it's another) She's generally a lot happier though that her snots have cleared up. We have feliway on the go all the time which I'm sure must be helping and the cystitis isn't actually a very common thing anymore luckily as she is on prescription food for struvite crystals which keeps everything at bay except for the last week when obviously she's been very stressed because she's had so many trips to the vet, blood taken, swabs taken etc. While it's all for her own good, I'm sure she doesn't really understand what's going on.
She's spent the day asleep on top of the rabbit run- she adores Daisy and Herbie and has been very chirpy :)
Ordered some cystease this morning which I'm sure will help with further attacks :)
We should get the results of the swabs back soemtime next week so will know what type of cat flu she has and then will hopefully be able to find a suitable course of treatment. In the meantime we're having lots of cuddles to keep her happy (she loves nothing more than cuddles!) and I'm giving her extra fluids via a syringe which I always do when she's poorly. Luckily she doesn't mind it- I think she actually quiet likes the attention!
Thanks for all the support :)
And for Gail Bengal Slave, my princess...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 18:53:17 PM by Debsymiller »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2008, 16:19:56 PM »
I would go down Cystaid/Cystease route rather than Metacam, as MM says, it isn't good long term, and Cystaid is basically just a glucosamine based product that helps the lining of the bladder. Tom did wonderfully on that and wet food only for his stress related cystitis, although obviously rehoming him cured it completely!! So looking into the reason is another good thing to do
Please spay your cat

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2008, 15:30:34 PM »
OMG I have only just seen this thread - Poor Poor Layla - thank heaven this lady paid the money -  I would of paid too as many of us would.

The poor little lass. I so hope her cistitus clears up - she is a credit to you and deserves all the medication possible - it could of been a terrible life for her. But thankfully she was offered as a 'healthy' kitten  taken away, and nursed back to health.

I hope the druggies got / get what they deserve. Give Layla a giant hug from me here - would love to see a piccy. torties are just  :Luv: :Luv: I have a tortie tabby girl  called Thai :Luv:

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2008, 14:22:13 PM »
If you could find the cause of his stress it would be much better than long term metacam as its not great for cats insides after awhile.

I would like to try cystaid or cystease but with all the vets bills I can't afford it this month as it seems to be about £50 wherever I look. I will get some next month but does anyone have any good suggestions that will help her with the cystitis.

Cystaid and Zylkene can work for some cats, feliway and valerian extract also. Taz has all of these and i do think they do help him out abit. I use metacam as a last resort and gave up with all the antibiotics on offer as his samples never cultured anything :tired:

Offline bisley boys mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2008, 14:07:36 PM »
its so hard when you worry so much about a fur babe isnt it?

Have you tried metacam for the stress related cystitis? we use it on our cat TC who is a very stressy boy and started getting stress related cystitis 5 months ago after his brother had to be PTS. he has been on it ever since and it has helped him immensely. its about £20 and lasts about 3 months i would definitely recommend it, maybe you could ask your vet about it as you just squirt it onto food so its nice and easy to administer.

hope it helps - sending lots of love from me and TC  ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2008, 08:15:53 AM »
Might be worth asking your vet about Cystaid, my vets let you buy a month at a time, it cost me £8 a month when I had Tom.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2008, 15:05:17 PM »
I would like to try cystaid or cystease but with all the vets bills I can't afford it this month as it seems to be about £50 wherever I look. I will get some next month but does anyone have any good suggestions that will help her with the cystitis. She's had an anti-imflamotory/painkiller at vets this morning and advice to stick with the prescription food and give her extra water via syringe

Vetuk does Cystease at around £36, better price than cystaid. http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=747

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2008, 11:37:51 AM »
I would like to try cystaid or cystease but with all the vets bills I can't afford it this month as it seems to be about £50 wherever I look. I will get some next month but does anyone have any good suggestions that will help her with the cystitis. She's had an anti-imflamotory/painkiller at vets this morning and advice to stick with the prescription food and give her extra water via syringe to flush it through which is what I have done in the past and it's cleared up quickly. I can only imagine it's as she's been poked and prodded so much at the vets this last week and she's obviously not liked it and it is stress related cystitis. She's a tortie as well and they are definately prone to stress related illness!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2008, 10:02:59 AM »
our bluto had a heart murmur, he took a quarter of a pill beginning with a a day (can't remember the name sorry) although when we moved away from london and changed vets they said he didn't have it and took him off the pills  :Crazy:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2008, 07:53:42 AM »
Fingers crossed for good test results, but dont fret too much about the heart murmur - Ginger had one and it never caused him any probs, and when I took Zi for her boosters, I found out they had picked up on one when she had a dental earlier in the year, and they hadn't told me. Good luck with the Cystitis - have you tried Cystaid or Cystease?
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2008, 06:06:58 AM »
Both my dog Pepsi (RIP) and my cat Dragan (RIP) had heart murmurs.  Neither of them were put to sleep because of them.  Just ask your vet to keep checking whenever you visit and make sure there is no over exertion.  You are having a bad time and I hope things perk up for you all today.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2008, 22:55:27 PM »
sorry again that you are having such a tough time, now the cystitis as well. You must be so tired too as well as worried  :hug:
yes, Gill is right -heart murmurs are graded 1 - 5 with 1 being the least significant and 5 the worst.
Hope things are better tomorrow for you both.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2008, 18:45:41 PM »
Smartie has an enlarged heart - only found this year when he had an op - he is on Fortecur ( spelling!) and he is doind fine -he is 11 and spends a fair bit of time in his heated bed - it was put on when he had the op for him to come back to - in February !! :rofl:  Its not been off since except when we had a couple of warm weeks - he is asleep in it now - with FiFi in the new heated one that came today - next to each other  :Luv2:
Hope she gets better - she does have a very good mummy !!!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2008, 18:38:13 PM »
I believe heart murmours are graded and the top end being the  the worse I think is the higher numbers........I am sure someone else will confirm this.

When Franta had his health check this year I was told he had a little murmour but common to birmns of his age and nothing to worry abouit. he is 15 yrs old. Its never been mentioned on other health checks.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: A very worried mummy :( Some support and advice needed please
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 18:31:55 PM »
The other thing I was told was that she's got a slight heart murmour. Vet said I ought not to worry about it but they'll keep an eye on it. I asked a couple of questions but don't feel I am really any the wiser as to what the implications of this are, hence why I feel a bit :(
I know I should be pleased that things aren't as bad as I initially thought but the heart murmour now just adds to the list of problems she has to contend with.

There are a number of people on here with experience of this - I can't remember offhand who they are, but there are several - and they'll be able to put your mind at rest on this score at least  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 18:31:13 PM »
And to top that off, she's just been straining in the litter tray and has cystitis again! :( Poor thing- it really is not a good day!

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 17:50:07 PM »
Sorry that you had to deal with someone else but hopefully they'll sort out the eye gunk problem inasmuch as those can be sorted - it's likely to be an eye ointment job off and on forever unless you are really lucky. They tend to get them worst when the weather changes or when they are stressed. The treatments work on the eyes pretty well, but getting them in the eyes can be quite a mission  ;)

As for the heart murmur, Swampy was diagnosed with a category 1 - 2 (of 5) in 2005 and had a scan for it, which the vet at the time thought should be done and my current vet wouldn't have done. The sedative to do the scan caused his liver to collapse, so there are risks with scanning. If the vet thinks it's so mild that it's barely noticeable, it shouldn't hopefully affect her life at all. What my current vet suggests is that each time a cat with a low grade murmur goes to the vet that they listen. Sorry it was so expensive too, know how that feels!

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 17:40:28 PM »
well we've just got back from the vets and feeling a bit fed up again to be honest. Had a different vet to normal which threw me a bit, she was very nice but not the vet I'm used to talking to and whom I know will explain everything thoroughly and whom makes me really relaxed. We came home with tablets and eye drops to sort out the current issue (she's snotty and gunky-eyed again!) and will know more when the swabs come back in a week-10 days as she's being tested for calici, herpes and chlamydophila so the results will depend on the treatment. The cost was a lot more than I had expected- of course I will pay whatever is needed but I honestly wan't expecting as much as today and times are hard, money is tight... etc.
The other thing I was told was that she's got a slight heart murmour. Vet said I ought not to worry about it but they'll keep an eye on it. I asked a couple of questions but don't feel I am really any the wiser as to what the implications of this are, hence why I feel a bit :(
I know I should be pleased that things aren't as bad as I initially thought but the heart murmour now just adds to the list of problems she has to contend with.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 17:41:27 PM by Debsymiller »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 08:11:30 AM »
i am glad that there is nothign too serious to worry about, bet you are really relieved.
Please spay your cat

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2008, 22:44:40 PM »
That is so good to hear  :Luv2:

The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 21:25:44 PM »
Great news  ;D  She might just be one of those special ones that needs extra TLC  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 21:07:36 PM »
Saw the vet today and the bloods have come back. FelV and FIV negative (yay!!!) and other bloods showed nothng to worry about- all is well! We're going for the swabs on Tues so hopefully we'll ahve a good result there and it will either be herpes of chlamydia and then there is treatment. If it is Calici though, I will at least know what's what.

Thanks for all your support everyone :D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 08:17:40 AM »
i am glad you have a good vet who has put your mind at rest - fingers crossed for the bloods today.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat