Author Topic: Collars for Outdoor Cats?  (Read 3048 times)

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
Re: Collars for Outdoor Cats?
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 10:35:42 AM »
Until we had Jerry and Gizzy I didnt use collars ar all - but I am tempted to get them collars just to make it clear they are 'owned' - I havent decided yet!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 15:15:29 PM »
Guess it all comes down to what you feel in your heart is the right thing to do.

It is. I don't think Memphis would last 10 minutes outside, which is one of the many reasons he's an indoor cat (he's all looks and no brains!), so if he escaped I'd like to find him asap for his safety. There are a lot of B&W cats around here none with collars so a his does make him stand out from the rest.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 14:48:48 PM »
Guess it all comes down to what you feel in your heart is the right thing to do.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 14:45:24 PM »
I guess maybe I'm over cautious when it comes to collars.

:hug: That is completely fair too! Nothing wrong in being over cautious.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 14:34:46 PM »
Ok, that is a fair point. I guess maybe I'm over cautious when it comes to collars.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 14:29:39 PM »
I don't understand collars on indoor cats either?? Why would they need a collar?? My neighbour (who, admittedly is a bit of a weird one) put collars on her two tiny kittens and then left them for the night. I went round to feed them, and they were climbing chairs and tables. I took both collars off (think they were quick release ones) - I just couldn't leave them there, with under no supervision, with collars ON! They could get stuck anywhere - who can guarantee they would release?

Because if they suddenly escape out it's an easy and quick identifier. Memphis has always worn a collar without trouble.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 14:10:10 PM »
I personally don't agree with collars on outdoor cats. Not even quick-release ones as I don't trust them to 100%. It never crossed my mind to put one on Jameson, especially because he loves exploring and climbing things. At the end of the day though it's a personal choice, but if you must put one on, then get a good quality quick-release one.

I don't understand collars on indoor cats either?? Why would they need a collar?? My neighbour (who, admittedly is a bit of a weird one) put collars on her two tiny kittens and then left them for the night. I went round to feed them, and they were climbing chairs and tables. I took both collars off (think they were quick release ones) - I just couldn't leave them there, with under no supervision, with collars ON! They could get stuck anywhere - who can guarantee they would release?

As for other people feeding collar-less cats, I think people are definately feeding ours, one of our neighbours even admitted it - but he is an old gentleman with 6 indoor cats of his own, so we know he gets pleasure out of Jameson coming round to say hello. It doesn't bother us.

I think these days more and more people are aware of cats being microchipped, so hopefully the majority of the people wouldn't just naturally assume the cat was a stray just because it doesn't have a collar.

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Chiana and Salem
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 02:36:36 AM »
Can i just add thats its not only important to get a quicke release one but to actually TEST it as well i have been known to weaken some before using them i put collars on mine because we are extremely populated by ferals and because one the locals looks almost exactly like one of mine and is very friendly so there is always the chances that the two will get mixed up its never happened but dont wanna take the chance mine only one of mine tends to go up trees and it only seems to be when it rains i admit i am one that gets concerned when see cats round here with no collars but since i dont have a lot of money so i cant feed every cat i meet i go by the rule of if they look well cared for leave alone and if they have collar i tend to leave them alone but if they have a collar and are in bad condition i will take notice
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 02:39:45 AM by Kally »
The world is a dark place because of negativity so lets brighten it up with some possitivity

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 09:56:01 AM »
Ooo, is that your milk snake in your avatar? Pretty. :)

With regards to collars - mine all wear safety release collars and have microchips. I think it's important to ensure they're fitted correctly though.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 08:55:11 AM »
I used to have collars on all my three (they go out during the day, but are in at night).  However, Sabby kept losing his, despite me checking carefully to make sure it was fitted correctly.  In the end two of his missing collars turned up, both intact!  As in, they were safety collars, but had not undone.  As a result, I felt I couldn't trust even safety collars, so removed them all.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 18:58:14 PM »
If you use a collar its important they are quick release and not fitted too loose,this is as dangerous as a tight one. Also make sure they have legible ID on them or really whats the point!!

Also a microchip is neccessary as many missing cats loose their collars

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 18:53:02 PM »
i have actually taken a collar off a cat, we did know the owners and it was very poorly fitting and not a safety collar, so I took it off for her own safety. I would never Frontline someone elses cat though, that is rather risky, especially if they were wearing a flea collar. He should really be trying to find her owner before doing anything like that.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 18:25:30 PM »
People seem to be more likely to feed a cat that isn't wearing a collar as they sometimes assume the cats os a stray of they don't have an idnentity tag-

Equally if a cat with a collar on is lost, and believe me we take in numerous cats that are wearing collars, many people assume they have an owner when in reality they need help sooner that they  actually get it.

I completely agree that there are some awful injuries that I have seen first hand but think it is avoidable if people check the size and use the safety collars that are available nowadays.

That is the trouble the owners of the cats that have horrendous injuries thought the collars were fitted correctly. Also if one can get two fingers through a collar. Many cats will be able  tp get its paw through which is the cause of many injuries.

I think collars is a personal choice

With that I would agree.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 17:54:27 PM »
Mine do wear collars but they are properly fitting and the safety snap ones that come off really easily. Although they are chipped I have several reasons for putting them on mine:
*People seem to be more likely to feed a cat that isn't wearing a collar as they sometimes assume the cats os a stray of they don't have an idnentity tag- not what sensible cat owners would think but not everyone knows abouts chips and sometimes will encourge cats into their homes/ gardens. I actually had someone try to steal a cat of mine once and their only response was 'well he wasn't wearing a collar so we thought he was homeless. He eats the food we give him so he must be hungry!' Of course this is rubbish but it has always worried me since.
*quite often if cats are run over, councils do not actually scan them and only inform owners if they are wearing collars.
* My cats were reflective collars- especially as Oscar is black and although he comes in at night it can be a dim day and he may be hard to see.
*Layla has a special collar which asks people not to feed her as she is on a prescription diet and suffers a great deal of pain (not to mention high vet bills for me) anytime she eats elsewhere.

I completely agree that there are some awful injuries that I have seen first hand but think it is avoidable if people check the size and use the safety collars that are available nowadays.

As far as taking someone else's cat's collar off of them, I think that's outrageous. As far as the flea treatment goes, you shouldn't really treat a cat that isn't yours as you don't know the medical history or if the cat has an allergy/ has been previously treated. If in doubt put a note on the collar as previously suggested.

I think collars is a personal choice but if you are going to get your cat to wear a collar, it should be for a sensible reason not just for fashion.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 18:59:54 PM by Debsymiller »

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 12:50:02 PM »
I have 11 cats and NONE of them wear collars.
They are all mirco-chipped.

I have seen some terrible injuries from collars

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 10:32:08 AM »
I personally do not like collars , however I don't think we have the right to take one off a cat unless of course it is causing problems for the cat.

Perhaps your friend should put a message on a long piece of paper  something like 'do I belong to you with a telephone number' on. If after a few days no one has called take the little one to the vets to see if it is chipped and if not place it on lists of cats waiting to come in at all local rescues.

It is also a very dangerous practice to put any form of flea treatment on a cat who has a flea collar on. Even when a flea collar is removed we should wait a week before applying treatment.

Have to agree fully with Ela

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 09:48:06 AM »
I personally do not like collars , however I don't think we have the right to take one off a cat unless of course it is causing problems for the cat.

Perhaps your friend should put a message on a long piece of paper  something like 'do I belong to you with a telephone number' on. If after a few days no one has called take the little one to the vets to see if it is chipped and if not place it on lists of cats waiting to come in at all local rescues.

It is also a very dangerous practice to put any form of flea treatment on a cat who has a flea collar on. Even when a flea collar is removed we should wait a week before applying treatment.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Opheodrys

• Kitten
Collars for Outdoor Cats?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 02:32:01 AM »
If you have a cat who spends lots of time indoors (in at night) but will wander for a few hours outside during the day, what are your thoughts about it wearing a collar?
On another forum, a member has been seeing a small, apparantly skinny and scabby, cat in his garden. She has a flea collar on, despite this he treated her with frontline. He's also planning to take her collar off as he dissagrees with them.
So what are peoples thoughts on collars and if you dissagree with them would you go as far as to take someone elses cat's collar off?
Thanks for any replies ;D
1 Little Black Cat (LBC)

Link to CatChat