Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 401054 times)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #2853 on: October 07, 2009, 22:14:31 PM »
if Swampy seems to be doing OK, and enjoying his life, so what if the test figures don't always add up

they sure don't matter to the Swamp monster himself :hug:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #2852 on: October 07, 2009, 21:26:19 PM »
 :hug:

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2851 on: October 07, 2009, 20:36:36 PM »
Bless you both. :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #2850 on: October 07, 2009, 19:21:02 PM »
Blood results are back. His biochem is the same or better but his creatinine is now 413 and his urea 30.  Fortekor just doesn't work for him. The vet says I have to give him at least 50mls sub cuts a week, if not twice a week and he must stay on a small dose of frusemide and the fortekor and keep doing what I am doing.

The only thing he also wants to watch is his calcium which is up to 2.83. Last time it was 2.4. Apparently if it goes high, over 3, it's usually for sinister reasons but he says he hopes it's just higher CRF calcium.
I'm telling myself there is no point in worrying.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2849 on: October 07, 2009, 16:35:54 PM »
Swampy went for bloods today to the vet, mostly because of his back leg weakness and his weight loss. He yelled a bit in the car, which is good as he's not done that for a while. He weighed in at nearly 4kgs on the vet's scale, 3.9 on mine. The vet isn't sure as we didn't do an X ray (no time: an emergency came in and it's a 1 vet practice) but he thinks Swampy's chest is clear, however he's staying on a small dose of diuretics. I wanted him to have an X ray as if it was free of fluid, I was hoping to take him off them.  I don't know if they help to clear chest muck from his cold but I doubt it (? biology not my strong point).
He's been very purry but his snotty nostril not good at all and he tends to vomit up his kaminox. The vet now says he thinks it isn't likely at all that I could overdose potassium on a cat with CRF but we are waiting for the blood test results to see how things are with Swampy off sub cuts and suddenly skinnier. I'm just glad he's feeling brighter and hope it lasts for as long as possible and that his legs hold up. I've been shown a couple of massages to give him. If anyone knows of any more, please let me know.

blood test results should be in tomorrow.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2848 on: October 06, 2009, 19:36:44 PM »
Sending positive vibes to you and darling Swampy, glad he is eating on his own!  :Luv2: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2847 on: October 06, 2009, 15:24:35 PM »
Swampy's been eating by himself and has been brighter but his back legs are much weaker again so I've increased the kaminox. He felt so light today and I weighed him and he's lost another 300g quite suddenly. He weighed 4.2kgs on saturday and today he's 3.9kgs. He's going tomorrow to the vet again for more bloods and a check up. I wouldn't be so worried if the weight loss wasn't so fast and his back legs weren't so weak as he has been cheerful and very purry and clearly feeling better. He's still on diuretics but the vet didn't think he had 600g worth of fluid to get rid of. He may also have another xray depending on how he is. I am very worried. Trying to stay calm.

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2846 on: October 06, 2009, 09:23:36 AM »
I bought an infra-red lamp to help with rhumatism which mimicks then sun to some extent, they are fairly cheap but can only be used on medical advice for short periods, but very helpful. Hugs to Mr Swampy.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2845 on: October 06, 2009, 00:13:51 AM »
I dont think your gonna get a good sun mimic unless your were to spend a serious amount of money, I think things add to the outside such as gentle breezes and different smells too!  :hug:

Thinking of you both and wishing Swampy all the best!  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2844 on: October 05, 2009, 11:11:24 AM »
Hi, sorry I didn't post yesterday. Swampy had a good day and I was superstitious. Today he's not quite as good (yesterday he ate all by himself all day and was in a great mood). He is parked in front of the heater, but it's not the sun. I don't think anything really can be to be honest?

It's pouring with rain and almost dark here and somehow he seems to sense the weather. He's weaker than yesterday which doesn't make a lot of sense to me as his meds are the same.

No I didn't get a scoop with the bisolvon. I got a 20g sachet and have had to divide it up using (on) hard white printer paper into 12 roughly equal segments, then he gets 1 of those in a 1ml syringe mixed with water. The dividing up is very tricky. His nose was better yesterday so I didn't give it but think I will have to again today.  I try not to give him meds if he seems ok as he has a lot.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2843 on: October 05, 2009, 03:51:22 AM »
Hoping all is well with darling Swampy and yourself!  :hug: :hug:

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2842 on: October 04, 2009, 22:17:21 PM »
Just thought of you and signed in to say I am praying for you both, wonderful swampy's mum and dear swampy.  :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2841 on: October 04, 2009, 11:24:35 AM »
I had Bisolvon powder for Blackie, and it had a scoop with it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2840 on: October 04, 2009, 07:03:57 AM »

If anyone has got any foolproof ways to divide up and give bisolvon, I'd be grateful to hear them. I have to divide up a 20g sachet into 12, then somehow give Swampy one of the 12ths for 4 consecutive days. Last time I tried it, powder went anywhere and everywhere and then when I mixed it with water, it stuck to the plastic bowl so Swampy got a tiny dose and mostly water...... :Crazy:

Are you talking about Bisolvon powder? if so, Schui had to take it all the time and it was 'a pinch' my vet showed me she said just get a little pinch between your fingers and add it to his water or food - did your vet tell you to divide it up?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2839 on: October 04, 2009, 01:57:55 AM »
I think the heat of the sun is in the infra-red range, not the UVA/UVB range - but I never did like physics  :evillaugh:

UV light is found in sunlight and is emitted by electric arcs and specialized lights such as black lights. As an ionizing radiation it can cause chemical reactions, and causes many substances to glow or fluoresce.

UVA and UVB rays from the sun cause you to burn

Most people are aware of the effects of UV through the painful condition of sunburn, but the UV spectrum has many other effects, both beneficial and damaging, on human health.

Answers from quotes taken from Wiki!  :evillaugh: :P

Im sure far enough away from the body as not to cause any damage would be recommended....I like physics btw...It just dont like me!  :innocent: :rofl: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2838 on: October 04, 2009, 01:46:00 AM »
UVA and UVB rays from the sun cause you to burn

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2837 on: October 04, 2009, 01:44:18 AM »
What about a facial solarium then Kate, that would be UV lighting!  ;) Obviously moved about till correct heat is found as not to burn!  ;) That would be your best mimic of the sun!

I cant see any wrong in you changing his forteker dose till evenings as long as he is still getting his daily dose!  :hug:

I think the heat of the sun is in the infra-red range, not the UVA/UVB range - but I never did like physics  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2836 on: October 04, 2009, 00:47:16 AM »
Hows Swampy doing Kate ? xxx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2835 on: October 02, 2009, 11:50:22 AM »
What about a facial solarium then Kate, that would be UV lighting!  ;) Obviously moved about till correct heat is found as not to burn!  ;) That would be your best mimic of the sun!

I cant see any wrong in you changing his forteker dose till evenings as long as he is still getting his daily dose!  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2834 on: October 02, 2009, 10:42:05 AM »
No, he likes it, just the halogen is def a heater to him not 'fake sun'.  A reptile lamp would be hotter (but vet thinks too hot but isn't sure - if anyone has one, please let me know?).

If anyone has got any foolproof ways to divide up and give bisolvon, I'd be grateful to hear them. I have to divide up a 20g sachet into 12, then somehow give Swampy one of the 12ths for 4 consecutive days. Last time I tried it, powder went anywhere and everywhere and then when I mixed it with water, it stuck to the plastic bowl so Swampy got a tiny dose and mostly water...... :Crazy:

He had a good night but is snotty.  It looks as if I will have to change his frusemide to the morning and hope that it doesn't clash with fortekor (longer term use of fortekor and diuretics?? Or maybe it's the other ACE inhibitor: my vet says not to worry but I do) which I also give in the mornings (maybe should move the fortekor to the eves?).

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2833 on: October 02, 2009, 02:34:00 AM »
Im pleased that the vet is pleased with his progress as thats always a good sign....Hoping you manage to keep up the good work via his meds!  ;)

Have you fell out with the halogen heater Kate? Just wondering why the mention of the reptile lamp?

Positive vibes to you all!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2832 on: October 01, 2009, 14:43:10 PM »
We went for a vet's check up this morning and he is quite pleased with Swampy. He said his chest sounds better and the frusemide has done well so far, but he must stay on it and have a little sub cut fluids every few days (makes me nervous now after the dire predictions at the vet on friday).  Another week on Baytril but at a reduced dose as Swampy is now 4kgs not nearer 5kgs. He says the Baytril goes for kidneys more than synulox which is why he can't stay on it forever. But he believed me about the cold - Swampy had just had a little water and 2mls of kaminox before going to the vet and he duly threw up all over the vet's table.

I have to persist in getting kaminox down him or he will weaken faster. Vet gave me some powdered potassium to use if I can't get enough kaminox down him without him bringing it up. The worry is that he vomits up his assist meals too. It's all post nasal drip.  I may have to try bisolvon again although it's impossible to get the right dose of that stuff and it goes for the liver.
The sun's vaguely out here but it is breezy. I can't decide whether to take him outside for 15mins or whether that will make his nose worse. The forecast for the next 2 days is no sun at all. Vet thinks the reptile lamps may be too intense a heat, not like the sun, more like cooking him if he lay under it (dunno?).

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #2831 on: October 01, 2009, 00:51:30 AM »
Poor Swampy - having a snotty nose does get them down - i have posted on Bunglys thread about Baytril for you .
Lots of healing vibes and  :hug: :hug: :hug:  for the gorgeous one .

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2830 on: September 30, 2009, 13:06:18 PM »
Thats strange it not starting up till approx 7pm!  :Crazy:

Hope he manages to get his meds down Kate...Best wishes to you both!  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2829 on: September 30, 2009, 11:41:48 AM »
well hopefully it's the fluid and his breathing will improve and he may be able to have some sub cut fluids again (not much but a bit if he's getting dehydrated) but it's one step at a time. Unfortunately from last night his snorty, snotty nose started up again. No idea why as the vet says it's his urea toxins, but why would they be ok all afternoon and start up again at 7pm?! He vomited up a meal from his 'globby' swallowing as he tends to do, which is difficult as he needs all his food.

He has taken to spitting out his kaminox. I'm going to have to give it in a syringe and hope that that works. It's made him stronger.
Swampy is very unimpressed by the weather today too poor little man.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2828 on: September 29, 2009, 18:57:51 PM »
You are very hands on with everything concerning Swampy Kate...You are bound to notice any change through this.....Let your mind have a breather and look on the positive side of the fluid going away..... ;)

Peaceful vibes to you both!  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2827 on: September 29, 2009, 18:43:45 PM »
He's been feeling not too bad today, but he gets weighed twice a day and this morning he was his usual (for lately; since his latest problem) 4.5kgs and a moment ago I picked him up and thought he felt so light and he's lost 300g in a day. He's 4.2kgs. I weighed him twice and got the same reading.

I don't know if this is good or bad news. Before his fluid in his chest problem, he was 4.4kgs so he has lost 200g even if it's good news in that some of the fluid has gone. I'm so nervy about everything. Must try to be calmer. Doesn't help when you are very tired and you can see that things are getting worse does it.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2826 on: September 29, 2009, 18:13:36 PM »
Im really happy to hear that Swampy is feeling a bit better,its just a shame that the suns getting weaker now ,i have had my halogen heater outside in the garage  ( allthe cats were in there )and it was fine just need to make sure it doesnt get wet, sending loads more of those positive vibes for Swampy and hope he continues for a long time yet :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #2825 on: September 29, 2009, 17:08:22 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
I know what you mean when they are so content you can''t move them and just put up with them lying on you.
Smartie does this especially at night when i lie down to watch tv .
He somehows manoveres himself so i get the bum on my sholder , head into my neck and he purrs right down  my ear - i have to turn the tv up as i can only hear it through one ear and Smartie purring down the other ear  :rofl: its so lovely ,but no overly comfy for me , but would never move him till he gets down himself - i have often stayed there when i wanted to go to bed sooner than move him!

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #2824 on: September 29, 2009, 15:41:32 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2823 on: September 29, 2009, 14:46:58 PM »
Tons of positive healing vibes coming Swampy's direction....Such a lovely special time your having with your lovely special boy!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2822 on: September 29, 2009, 13:53:21 PM »
the vibes did well last night and first up this morning so keep them coming please  :hug:

We are so pleased that we didn't listen to the vet and kept Swampy going over the weekend. He was poorly yesterday morning & we feared the worst but when his steroids started working in the late afternoon (plus some sun, the instant purr remedy: soon to disappear though) the purr returned and he had a good night, getting himself up and finding everything he needed. I had to get up 3 times though as finding his way back to bed via wandering around until he finds it makes him breathe too hard. His respiration rate is normal, just a little laboured so no exercise allowed. 

This morning from 5am he slept in my arms again. I can't sleep as he lies on my arm and of course I can't move, but the sheer joy I feel is so special.

We are going out on the roof now. Sadly the forecast from tomorrow is much more autumnal. Do you think it would be safe to take the halogen heater on full blast outside? I thought I may try to see if it fools him a little bit. He may be old with dementia, but isn't easily conned into thinking the heater is sun. All sun gets an instant purr; heater is enjoyed but doesn't.

thanks for your support, it's so needed now  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2821 on: September 29, 2009, 08:48:33 AM »
 :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2820 on: September 29, 2009, 00:13:50 AM »
Lots of gentle  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:  to Swampy from us all here - we will always continue to send healing vibes for him every day and  are thinking of you .
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #2819 on: September 28, 2009, 22:47:21 PM »
Please give Swampy some strokes from me.  :Luv:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2818 on: September 28, 2009, 21:38:48 PM »
Kate i dont really know what to say,but im sure i speak for everyone on Purrs when i say that we are all with you and thinking and praying for you and Swampy  :hug: :hug:

Seconded!  :hug: :hug: :hug: to you all! x

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2817 on: September 28, 2009, 18:16:39 PM »
Kate i dont really know what to say,but im sure i speak for everyone on Purrs when i say that we are all with you and thinking and praying for you and Swampy  :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2816 on: September 28, 2009, 18:13:16 PM »
the vet says that Swampy's immediate prognosis depends on why he has his pleural effusion and how well his kidneys cope with his current level (1/4 a day) of diuretic but it seems that our long struggle doesn't have long to run. His dementia is also worse which is why he thinks that Swampy suddenly doesn't purr as much even when he seems to be enjoying being combed or cuddled, but then will purr like a tractor when he feels the sun on him. Swampy is also having dramatic dreams in very deep sleep, which means that something is going on in his brain. He did sleep in my arms again this morning. I am treasuring each millisecond with him.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #2815 on: September 28, 2009, 13:33:58 PM »
 :hug: :hug: to you and the swampster

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2814 on: September 28, 2009, 07:22:06 AM »
Warmth and sunshine to you both Kate.  :hug:

Link to CatChat