Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 401075 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #2773 on: September 21, 2009, 12:54:27 PM »
Swampy has a little bald patch which looks like it could get a bit inflamed on his head. It's about where I need to scruff him for pills and stuff. I am very gentle always and have very short nails but I don't know what to use to help it heal fast.  I used some SA ointment Zambuk which is eucalyptus (he can't lick there and it's a very small area) but the vet suggested arnica ointment.

Does anyone have any magic ointment solutions to keep it from getting worse and help it heal please?

going out on the roof now. Not very warm but the sun's out.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2772 on: September 20, 2009, 16:29:13 PM »
It makes perfect sense to me the new logic with the sub "Q's" after all it does seem pointless to do them everyday only to have to use a duretic!  ;) :shocked:

Glad he is enjoying the weather Kate....Bless him and you!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2771 on: September 20, 2009, 16:26:34 PM »
He did get out although not too much sun today, just not cold. He loves it. Tries to climb out of the window by himself even though he's weak. Then has a wonderful snooze with jumpy dreams.

He had 50mls sub cuts today, 72 hours since the last one. Maybe he can keep going without them or with them every 2- 3 days. I don't know. One day at a time is now really more in focus than ever. I am trying him on zantac instead of pepcid as he burps and hiccups sometimes. The infant colic med does work too I think as he is lying more comfortably now. Just it tastes of orange (although he only gets 0.2mls so not much). Orange is better tolerated than peppermint though.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2770 on: September 19, 2009, 11:57:43 AM »
So glad Swampy has had another poop....he must really like the vet!  :evillaugh:

So glad he is enjoying his mummy cuddles and dont know where you live Kate, but there may be a chance of some "real" sun for a couple of days at your end!

Thinking of you both!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2769 on: September 19, 2009, 10:31:33 AM »
that's twice now Swampy has mistaken the vet's surgery for an extra large litter tray

perhaps he is trying to tell you something  ;)

(not that I go there but.....) I thought Harrods at £1 a loo visit was exorbitant! Swampy likes his £25 poos  :Crazy:  At least he got a decent health check too though.  His eye has some blood in it this morning which is not good. Apart from that, I've noticed just how much he dislikes being left alone now. He wants love all the time. No problem!

Yes it is so disappointing about the fortekor. He has proteinurea and higher nos so it's "supposed" to work. It didn't do Max any good either. The vets tend to treat it as if it was a miracle cure, so you are lucky to have had an honest vet I think, Baggy.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2768 on: September 18, 2009, 21:20:05 PM »
Fortekor hasn't helped Swampy really at all. I think it helps some cats a lot and others not at all for reasons no-one quite understands. 
That's more or less exactly what our vet said to us, which was at least honest of them. Sorry to hear it's not helping him.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2767 on: September 18, 2009, 13:53:52 PM »
that's twice now Swampy has mistaken the vet's surgery for an extra large litter tray

perhaps he is trying to tell you something  ;)
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2766 on: September 18, 2009, 13:13:23 PM »
The vet managed to get a big poo out of Swampy by taking his temp (thermometer you know where) and then massaging his tum. We'd put him back in his carrier and were discussing what the gentlest enema would be when Swampy decided the time was right to go.  Why he did that though is guesswork. Could be dementia related or from his rising urea. We discussed how to get Swampy's brain more active he must have some kind of stimulation every day, even if it means a short visit outside in lousy weather or a walk (in his carrier) round the block. Even something that makes him a little nervous is better than just sleeping.

Worryingly he is still retaining a bit of fluid - vet appears to have learned from Swampy's experience that we gave him too much by doing sub cuts daily (no other clients have ever done them at my vet or either of the ones I used when my vet was away; they say clients refuse, but it means the vets lack crucial experience - and daily 50-100mls is the accepted dose for CRF cats at his level). So he will have now to only have a bit every other day so it doesn't build up and strain his heart. This means though that his urea and creatinine will keep rising so the prognosis isn't very good. Fortekor hasn't helped Swampy really at all. I think it helps some cats a lot and others not at all for reasons no-one quite understands. 

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2765 on: September 18, 2009, 13:04:55 PM »
Yes Kate you will have to get you stubborn head on with the vet.....Does he think that you enjoy coming to see his so often!  :shocked:

It must be awful to have to get his food down for him....but you know he appreciated the feeling he gets when you have fed him!  :hug:

Best of luck with Swamps and look after you too!  ;) :Luv2: :hug:

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2764 on: September 18, 2009, 09:45:55 AM »
:thanks:  He ate a little in the night and this morning and was purry so hope it helped.  However he's still not pooed since monday which isn't helping. His tum's hard.  Vet says he's not had enough to eat, but he has actually. He's also had lactulose in small 3x daily doses. I think with the drop in fluid intake, he's got constipated.
Weight is still 4.5kgs but some of that could come off if he did poo. I have to give him a bit of fluids tonight and am very nervous about it.
Do try a teaspoon of cod liver oil twice a day to help with the constipation when it gets that bad. It works well for my Sophie. Best wishes to you both. :hug:
sara.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2763 on: September 18, 2009, 09:20:26 AM »
 :cat rub:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2762 on: September 18, 2009, 09:14:21 AM »
He has had 1/2 can a/d in 2 gos since last night by assist and also a little i/d on his own. I think that is more than enough for a poo, especially given that he's been getting lactulose. Last night's Laxapet hasn't worked either. Swampy just got up to wee in the night. So we are going down to the vets again. I keep having to go about 2 or 3 times before he takes it all seriously (including for the Xray, that took 2 visits) so I am steeling myself to be firm and get him to concentrate and help Swampy. It's not fair to keep having to go back for the same complaint.

I really hate syringing food into him but he is very purry and happy within a couple of minutes afterwards so perhaps it makes him feel better. He's parked in front of his heater again this morning as it is cold here.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2761 on: September 17, 2009, 17:17:24 PM »
The vet has given him laxapet to try tonight.  I hope it works as he only eats a really little now every few hours and if he's blocked, that will go to nothing again. I'm a bit worried that his dementia's also playing a part as he's very old and just wanting to sleep by the heater now really.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2760 on: September 17, 2009, 15:09:49 PM »
Glad he is eating Kate....Bless his tum as we all know what constipation feels like!  :sick:

Sending tons of pooping vibes to darling Swampy~~~~hope he manages one soon!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2759 on: September 17, 2009, 09:48:22 AM »
 :thanks:  He ate a little in the night and this morning and was purry so hope it helped.  However he's still not pooed since monday which isn't helping. His tum's hard.  Vet says he's not had enough to eat, but he has actually. He's also had lactulose in small 3x daily doses. I think with the drop in fluid intake, he's got constipated.
Weight is still 4.5kgs but some of that could come off if he did poo. I have to give him a bit of fluids tonight and am very nervous about it.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2758 on: September 16, 2009, 19:52:51 PM »
It's the same drug as Deflatine or Windeze but they are mint flavoured - not sure if you can get them in plain. It is an anti-foaming agent so doesn't actually neutralize acid butmakes the small bubbles into large bubbles which are expelled more easily - apparently  :shy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2757 on: September 16, 2009, 12:36:29 PM »
Good luck with the Infacol....Hope this manages to sort his tum out! He does seem to have a treatment that combats another syptom plus treatment....very confusing I must say....Just to let you know you are coping brilliantly Kate....Head rubs for darlng Swampy from me and mine!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2756 on: September 16, 2009, 12:25:54 PM »
we are going to try him on Infacol, an infant colic medicine, to see if a tiny dose of that helps his stomach gas.  Suggested by someone online in America. The only thing is I can only find orange flavoured and he has to have 0.2mls which is probably way too much for a gelcap.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2755 on: September 15, 2009, 23:29:50 PM »
thanks guys. Yes, shipping from USA is always horrendous for some reason.  Swampy was doing ok all afternoon until I gave him his pepcid and now he's lying in his tummy sore position again and not eaten much tonight. I may go back to SEB but didn't find it made much difference to him. I have some raw powder from a health shop (not H&B capsule) and I may try that in a paste. Let me know if you get any joy with the american herbal meds. thanks.

I keep reading about how he should be weeing buckets and he isn't. I think that is why I got the sub cut dosage wrong and why he needed the diuretic. His urea has climbed quite a bit though which explains the tum gas. It's low down - is it the large intestine that is nearer the bowel? you could see the gas on the Xray.  He's not had fluids today and probably none tomorrow either, just orally is ok.  I just hope he is all right tonight as I am pretty tired.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2754 on: September 15, 2009, 21:47:05 PM »
Yes, I've heard about Rehmannia on the Holisticat site http://www.holisticat.com/crf/Treatments-herbs-supplements-and-fluids.html

I was worried about the diuretic with fortekor but the vet says it is safe.  Mar Vista vet has a warning which scared me. 

Kate, Sam's on fortekor and diuretics and seems fine, although he only has a small dose of diurectic every other day. :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2753 on: September 15, 2009, 20:26:41 PM »
I have been looking into this Chinese herb that is a renal support. If you google it, there are experiements where it show it has helped. Also it is naturally diuretic - maybe gentler than regular diuretics. I can't get my head round a cat with CRF being given them -  Just a thought  :hug:.
I found another supplement only available in America called Renal essentials - I contains Rehmanna as well as other good stuff like fish oils. I just wish we could get it here - I think I will get this for mine.
http://www.petherbs.co.uk/inrenalfailure.html

Edit - I found a company that will ship renal Essentials to the UK but shipping is $35  :Crazy: - I will do some digging tomorrow and see if I can find another supplier that has reasonable delivery charges http://www.holisticpetinfo.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Renal_Essentials_cat
One thing that gives me confidence is the B12 in their tabs is the good, most bioavailable form of B12, methylcobalamin,  which is quite rare to find in things.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 20:38:11 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2752 on: September 15, 2009, 18:38:01 PM »
Sending lots of positive vibes for Swampy and hope he manages to eat a little bit more :Luv2: and of course hugs for you Kate, it must be so hard for you and Swampy but glad hes enjoying his heater, i have 2 for my lot and they love it :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2751 on: September 15, 2009, 15:33:17 PM »
no, it's cold and raining here. Swampy's been basking next to the halogen heater but is now in his bed. He still weighs 4.7kgs, 300g up on last week, so the fluids are probably held off for another day.
I don't know if they will gradually be absorbed and eliminated or if he'll need more of the horrible diuretic.

I was worried about the diuretic with fortekor but the vet says it is safe.  Mar Vista vet has a warning which scared me.  Swampy has had a little more to eat on his own though and is lying more comfortably a lot of the time.  He's a bit weak though so don't think his anemia's very good.

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2750 on: September 15, 2009, 09:59:37 AM »
I can't agree with you more about American vets, British vets are not allowed to practice in the US unless they go back to college. But care costs thousands, they even have ambulances with paramedic and cat scan facilities.
Luckily swampy has a soulmate and mummie to look out for him and suffer all the responsibility, worry and do all the research to make sure that he gets the best treatment from the surgery. Bless you both and I hope you both have a good day and the sun comes out for a while. It is certainly less cold where I am. :Luv2:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2749 on: September 15, 2009, 09:24:49 AM »
Yes i do have a bit of cerenia but think must ask the vet. I've emailed him. Swampy hasn't lost any of his weight that fluid retention put on and I'm worried about that as the diuretic made him feel so bad.
Then again maybe it is out of his body now as he is feeling better in himself and ate a little plate of food this morning and is more cheerful. He still has the sore tummy though and often, not always, lies on it with his head down. Pepcid helped so I've asked how much I can give him or either that and zantac.  I hope not just once a day as I think it helped him overnight.

I'm using the heater for warmth (which dehydrates I suppose as well) as I think the warmth helps him to feel more comfortable. I just hope so much he doesn't have to have more diuretic. I don't know how long they stay in the body but Max felt so horrible on them too.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2748 on: September 15, 2009, 02:23:44 AM »
Without sounding repetitious do you not have any Cerinia left for the nausea Kate? Also I cant see any reason why not with the pepcid and zantac, as long as you follow how long between doses there should not be a prob I would of thought....Maybe worth a vet ring though!  ;) :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2747 on: September 14, 2009, 21:18:25 PM »
the diuretic's made him feel sick. He wouldn't even lick up all his yoghurt pot lid tonight.  I almost wish I'd just cut fluids for a few days and not given him any diuretic.

anyone know if there's anything for nausea except pepcid and can you give pepcid and zantac a few hours apart (or even 12 hours apart).

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2746 on: September 14, 2009, 17:07:56 PM »
I think fluids are a life saver but the terribly tricky thing is to get the quantity right. You have to weigh them daily and check their skin folds, see how much they are eating, have they been sick etc etc. It is very easy to get wrong. Max lived 2 months where without fluids, he'd have lived about 3 or 4 days.  Swampy's creatinine was 480 before I started sub cuts and went down to 317 on them.  For some reason though, his kidneys haven't managed to expel even the 60 - 80mls. Maybe it's just him. He doesn't do large tray filling CRF wees. He does little teeny ones. I suppose I didn't factor that in.

I don't think 50mls every 48 hours will be enough but we can re-assess. Being blind, he doesn't drink as much as other cats as he only goes looking for a drink when he is very thirsty. It also depends on how much he is eating as they get a lot of fluid from wet food. Plus the halogen heater keeps him happy but it is dehydrating. I just took him some water and he had a long drink. I'm wondering (assuming his chest clears of fluids or as far as possible) if he could tolerate 25mls in the morning and 25mls at night as that isn't much and his kidneys would have 12 hours to get rid of it.

The trouble is that time and CRF are enemies. It is a huge worry. I have been thinking about it and know I can only do my best and will almost inevitably get it wrong.  No disrespect to the vet, but it would also help to have the type of american vets who do sub cuts with 100s of patients a year and who are very experienced in all situations.

thanks for caring though I meant to say that first. I am really tired, going to flop down in front of the heater with him now  :hug:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 17:08:44 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2745 on: September 14, 2009, 14:20:55 PM »
I agree with that Trigger, also he does not move about as a younger cat would....I really feel for you and Swampy Kate...Hope the new method all though it does sound worryingly low helps his tum go down and him feel more comfy!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

3 cheers for Swampy....Glad you left him a calling card!  :evillaugh: :Luv2: :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2744 on: September 14, 2009, 14:16:42 PM »
sounds to me - who admittedly knows nothing about CRF - as if extra fluids are not all they're cracked up to be in an older cat, whose heart is no longer efficient enough to pump the extra fluid around the body as well as a younger heart would

:rofl: for Swampy's present for the vet - I'm sure he just wanted to help out by leaving a sample for him ;)
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2743 on: September 14, 2009, 13:40:35 PM »
what are the odds - Swampy had an X ray and he too has fluid on his chest from the sub cuts. Not as bad as Max and his breathing is fine but he had a diuretic injection. His tummy is full of gas too, probably from his kidney wastes. So he has to have a lot less fluids eg 50mls every other day, which won't probably be enough to keep him hydrated. It's going to be a very tricky balancing act. I hate diuretics and think he is feeling a bit off colour because of it, but it's out of him in 6 hours and hopefully he will pee out most of the fluids that have accumulated.

The americans and CRF info site make sub cuts sound so simple and say that 100mls a day is the correct dose. However Swampy's been on only 60 - 80 mls p.d. I wouldn't discourage anyone from doing them, but say be careful as it's not as simple as they make out. Any weight gain in a CRF cat is not possible is the golden rule I think.

I just hope he is going to be all right. While we had a look at his X ray with the vet, Swampy wandered all round the consulting room and had a poo on the floor. (proud of my little old man).

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2742 on: September 14, 2009, 13:10:12 PM »
Aw bless the man Kate....He is such a little trooper and I do hope you can get to the bottom of this and get him sorted with the vets help and much ease! Thinking of you all!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2741 on: September 14, 2009, 09:30:33 AM »
Fight on Swampy's mum, if the constipation gets too much maybe try a teaspoon of cod liver oil as well as the lactulose if he will drink it. its back to cloudy though dry weather here as well, I hoped we could have more sun but let's hope it clears.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2740 on: September 14, 2009, 08:55:37 AM »
some of it, yes and I have given him another 1ml of lactulose this morning.  But he has put on 300g since yesterday morning. He only ate about 1 little can of food yesterday.  I think he is retaining fluid in his abdomen. I'd like him to have an ultrasound and I said I'd take down his bed and I'd hold him if they'll let me.  They just don't think laterally - of course they couldn't get a blind cat with a sore stomach to lie on a hard table on his side! He may lie in his bed though. It's just foam, so they could even X ray him in it.

I am persisting in trying to find out because he isn't miserable, his coat is good, his breath is much better on the antibiotics so a lot of that must be his dental problems, not end stage kidney failure. At present he is also breathing normally so it's not like what happened with Max. I think he could respond to treatment, if not to find a cure, then to make him more comfortable.
I am sure his eating problems are because his tum is puffy and swollen.  I am a nervous wreck though. Please send vibes and prayers for him and also that the vet doesn't just say there's nothing he can do and Swampy "is old" as that drives me mad.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2739 on: September 13, 2009, 23:20:15 PM »
could it be constipation, Kate?
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2738 on: September 13, 2009, 23:17:41 PM »
A new problem. His stomach is distended, seems swollen and hard. I've taken him to the vet twice for this and he just won't apply his mind to what it can be, just feels his tum and says it feels ok. It isn't ok. He won't lie on his side, just his stomach today. I've sent the vet another email as I'm sure this is why he is not eating much.  He has to have sub cut fluids or gets too dehydrated, but it could be fluid build up, it could be ascites, long term steroid use (don't think so or it would have manifested itself before). I'm not sure what to do.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2737 on: September 13, 2009, 16:30:24 PM »
Im so glad bringing the outside in has helped him....Have you thought about placing something reflective behind him to bounce that heat back!  ;) :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2736 on: September 13, 2009, 16:20:50 PM »
so far so good with day 1 of the halogen "fake sun" heater. I put him in his harness and took him and plonked him down on his blue cushion as if he was outside, with the heater on 400W in front of him. Cue loud and happy purrs. Not as relaxed as outside as it only heats the bit facing the heater (his face), but still enjoying the warmth.

I hope he will eat a bit more but think he will need some syringe top up again as he's eating better than last week, but still not enough. I hope the heater continues to go down well as the sun looks like it's well gone.

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2735 on: September 13, 2009, 09:36:03 AM »
c'mon Swampy, I hope that the late good weather keeps up for you both a bit longer. :Luv:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2734 on: September 13, 2009, 09:00:06 AM »
He said it's "retired burmese on holiday on the riviera" 

It certainly is, bless him.   :Luv:  Is grey here today but hoping if there's any sun to spare it comes your way, Kate.  :hug:

Link to CatChat