Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404315 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #1973 on: January 30, 2009, 20:47:41 PM »
The spider plant (s) are grown just for them!  I carefully regrow the 'baby spider plants' and when they are big enough, they get munched. Trouble is, they then come up on the carpet.

night night  :hug: xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1972 on: January 30, 2009, 19:48:59 PM »
God Bless him some of the things are funny but in a sad way.  Have you got any cat grass you can grow indoors to save your spider plant?

I think a home visit is good as he hasn't had one for ages.  It's a great shame he has had this setback as he was doing quite well.  I hope it was the meds that caused it cos now you aren't giving it to him he will maybe stay calm

Lots of positive vibes for a stress free sleep filled night for you all  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1971 on: January 30, 2009, 18:29:06 PM »
He was calmer this afternoon, had a good sleep and ate fine, but then licked himself and Max and vomited (furball & a bit of coldy nasal drip I think) which freaked him out again. Nearly an hour later I've got him to settle in bed again. He gets incredibly stressed if he vomits, then he wanted to eat some green plant - he's blind so he tried to eat the Bastis tent whiskers, which was bright of him as I realised immediately I had to go and fetch the spider plant (both of them love attacking that still to settle their tums) and then poor boy had to poo in the middle of all of that. That is all very stressful for him.
I'm hoping now that he will be calm as that was a lot to deal with in one go.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #1970 on: January 30, 2009, 17:41:11 PM »
Poor Swampy,   :Luv: hope the tablets worn off now and hes feeling better and wish for a calmer night for all of you :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1969 on: January 30, 2009, 13:21:55 PM »
Bit calmer now and at last asleep, thanks  :hug:

Vet says it may not be the Istin, so can I try again tonight and see.   :Crazy: I just said no, sorry. Swampy's bp pre-Selgian was 170 - ok that's above normal but not by a huge lot and the other vet wants it 140 - 160 to avoid manic episodes. So we may just leave it until he can have a home visit and if it still is high and he's still having agitation problems, we could try an increased fortekor dose as that lowers bp a bit, probably 10 - 20 points.
Swampy's exhausted now poor little boy. I am staying with him today.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1968 on: January 30, 2009, 11:42:10 AM »
Hopefully he will calm again when the med is out of his system.  See how he gets on, hopefully he will not be too manic  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1967 on: January 30, 2009, 08:22:17 AM »
Think it must be the Istin. I have been up with Swampy all night. He has been unhappy and unable to settle. All the calm from the last week is gone. I don't know what the life of Istin is in a cat and how soon it will work itself out, but just hope and pray we can get back to how he was yesterday afternoon before I gave it to him. I didn't feel right about it anyhow but had expected over sedation, not this. At 3am I googled side effects and the only I can find for agitation is overdosage, which he didn't have.
Fridays are a nightmare to get hold of the vet, but I am going to have to try.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1966 on: January 29, 2009, 19:06:20 PM »
Wow the little sod.  How lovely (not for Max of course).  Try not to worry, Swamps is doing really well at the moment,.  Hoping you all have a peaceful sleep filled night  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1965 on: January 29, 2009, 19:02:59 PM »
Given how he's been, he did an amazing thing this evening although don't think Max found it so amazing really. I'd fed Swampy and given him his first Istin dose and he was a bit unsettled in his bed (where he eats). I put a plate of turkey pate for Max next door to the bed on the floor on a newspaper so that Max would not be jealous. Max was enjoying it, when Swampy got up and wobbled his head a bit to 'find' where the nice smell was coming from, then started elbowing Max off the plate and promptly ate the rest of the pate and went back to bed! Both now snoring with heads on each other.  I can only think his little walk down the passage did him some good but am nervous of the Istin too....

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1964 on: January 29, 2009, 09:06:19 AM »
That is sounding positive, looks like the meds are starting to help him.  Much nicer if he doesn't have the manic episodes but just some adventures in the day to tire him out.  Hope the bp meds help further can't send you any sunshine from murky Manchester to brighten your day but can send you loads of  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1963 on: January 29, 2009, 08:55:18 AM »
Sunshine looks decidedly impossible today but Swampy had a calm night. Selgian does really calm, maybe too much, so his dose is down to 1/2 again and now he's going on istin to lower his bp, I told the vet I'll try it, but if he becomes a zombie and no longer wants or enjoys his adventures, it's no good. Calm is excellent and the manic episodes are now very few and far between. So it's a question of trying to get the doses right.

He's now sometimes only getting up to wee when he's desperate which means the carpet has another stain as I didn't hear him and he missed the tray. Bio washing powder or is there something else better? there's a mark, but no smell. I will put down puppy pads in the area tonight just in case.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1962 on: January 29, 2009, 06:33:56 AM »
Morning Swampy's camp.  how was your night?  Hope the day has some little nice adventures, some sunshine and plenty of calm

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #1961 on: January 28, 2009, 21:15:08 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1960 on: January 28, 2009, 20:53:27 PM »
That sounds more positive I guess it is just a matter of jiggling until the right combination is there.  Glad Alan eventually spoke to the other vet.  Wishes for a quiet night with some rest for you all  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1959 on: January 28, 2009, 19:34:38 PM »
He had a long chat with the FABcats' vet tonight, who he says was thoughtful and nice. She wouldn't just call him -he had to fax her a form and Swampy's whole medical history first! But the idea is to drop Swampy's bp by putting him on a tiny dose of Istin, half the dose of Selgian and Zylkene (she likes Zylkene). So that will start tomorrow. We'll have to play around with doses so that he is calm without being a zombie, but she wants his bp at 140 - 160 tops whereas it is currently about 170 when he is relaxed. I'll have to do a minute dose of Istin as it really does drop bp and he may get hypotension - no way to constantly measure it at home either.

Btw if anyone out there is interested in meds for dementia (Selgian and vivitonin are for that), she says don't mix them. Give one or the other.

off to rest before night time!  :hug: xx to everyone.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1958 on: January 28, 2009, 11:57:35 AM »
Kate have you actually tried to speak to the FABcats vet yourself?  If not it might be worth cutting Alan out of the loop even if it offends him because he has made no effort to do it despite you asking him to several times.

Hope the day goes well for you all  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1957 on: January 28, 2009, 08:28:57 AM »
OH did some of the night in here because I was a bit cooked last night. Swampy is more confused on this whole pill than he was on the half dose so I've emailed the vet to try to get him to speak to the FABcats' vet who recommended it and I've asked if he could set me up with a phone consultation with her. Probably won't happen (ego). I sent quite a barky email but I'm tired and this is hard and I need some advice from someone who has actually used the drug, if possible.
Swampy is a lot calmer but needs more help because of his confusion. I don't want to mess around with the dose if it's suddenly going to start to work after 3 weeks, like they say on the box.
Little mouse has had a good breakfast and is sleeping now, after having had a cuddle, songs and umpteen kisses. Big burmese purrs to everyone  :hug:

not even light here today so the SAD light is on full for him.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #1956 on: January 27, 2009, 22:49:41 PM »
Hope you get a good night's sleep and Swampy too.  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #1955 on: January 27, 2009, 21:59:55 PM »
Did you manage to get some  rest while  Swampy was snoozing? hope the night isnt to disturbed for you and Swampy and sending those extra snoozy vibes for him ,set the clock to start sending them at 3am ;)  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1954 on: January 27, 2009, 21:33:16 PM »
He slept from 3 o clock until 8.30pm, which is really long for him, then was a bit manic (to be graphic, he's constipated which makes him manic) so I think it could be a long night. He has steroids at 11 which always makes him get up and eat a few hours later too. Back on 1 antibiotic a day - I'm not sure how that can be enough, but the vet is fussing about Swampy's kidneys with long term a.bs. We don't think that his kidneys are the issue to be honest.

anyhow hope everyone and their littlies have a good, peaceful and warm night. Please send snoozy vibes for Swampy to kick in about 3am!  :hug:xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1953 on: January 27, 2009, 20:35:39 PM »
Hope you had a lovely calm day and that you all get some good sleep times tonight  :hug: :Luv2:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1952 on: January 27, 2009, 15:30:43 PM »
He's not daft is he Kate we would all like to retire to our heated beds this time of year.  Sorry he is sniffy and hope the meds can sort him again.  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1951 on: January 27, 2009, 12:58:02 PM »
Now I know I am definitely losing it I could have sworn I did my morning Swampy post but is it there?  Noooo.  Anyway it went something like this ...

Good morning for a gloriously sunny if a bit nippy Manchester.  Hope you had a quiet night ( you didn't) and hope the sun is shining for you and there are lots of sunny patches for Max and Swampy to lie in

:hug:

I lost it long ago! Max is happy in a sun puddle. Swampy slept all morning and is snotty and sneezing a bit so have left a message for the vet about whether to put him back on antibiotics.  I put him in his own sun puddle but he wouldn't stay. Wanted to go back to his heatpad bed.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1950 on: January 27, 2009, 10:35:55 AM »
Now I know I am definitely losing it I could have sworn I did my morning Swampy post but is it there?  Noooo.  Anyway it went something like this ...

Good morning for a gloriously sunny if a bit nippy Manchester.  Hope you had a quiet night ( you didn't) and hope the sun is shining for you and there are lots of sunny patches for Max and Swampy to lie in

:hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1949 on: January 27, 2009, 10:18:56 AM »
Swampy was a bit manic at 1am and we were up for an hour while he ate as much as he could. When he's like that, he eats a lot. then up again at 4.30 and 6.30, which counts as a reasonable night although his mum is a bit poggle eyed. The sun is out so I am going out and hope he doesn't decide he needs anything he can't find while I am out!
 :hug: hope it's now sunny everywhere. He's not in the sun but has his SAD lamp on him.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1948 on: January 27, 2009, 07:46:08 AM »
Good morning from a very foggy and damp Mansfield, hope the sun is shining where you are. How was Swampy last night? did you all manage to catch some sleep.  I hope you have a peaceful day and Swampy finds a big patch os sunshine to sleep in, :hug: :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1947 on: January 27, 2009, 07:12:22 AM »
 :hug: :hug:  Memories are pure gold.   :)   Especially ones that make us purr.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1946 on: January 26, 2009, 22:56:40 PM »
God bless too to Manchester from this mad flat. Let's hope tonight brings peaceful sleep for everyone and tomorrow a bit of sun.  We had a surveyor here today for our remortgage and of course I had to move the futon, lounge litter tray, tidy up etc etc and Swampy of course got up just as he arrived and demanded the tray, food.....madcatwoman I could see him think.  Swampy is now totally intolerant of any delay in seeing to what he needs, like an old person or a little baby.  But OH gently threw him up in the air once and caught him in his arms (I nearly passed out) - Swampy purred. He must have somehow remembered that from his younger days.
 :hug: xx to everyone.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1945 on: January 26, 2009, 22:35:42 PM »
Night night God Bless to you all from a very stressed Mancunian  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1944 on: January 26, 2009, 20:59:29 PM »
Hope you have had a peaceful and calm day with Swampy and that the same goes for the evening. sending calming vibes for you all :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1943 on: January 26, 2009, 06:25:51 AM »
Hope his adventures yesterday gave Swampy and you a quiet night.   :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1942 on: January 25, 2009, 23:10:59 PM »
Maybe the new experiences today will help him get some rest tonight and you,fingers crossed for a peaceful night for Swampy :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1941 on: January 25, 2009, 20:24:49 PM »
I'm hoping that my vet gets hold of the FABcats' vet this week and finds out how long it should be before we can definitely say the Selgian should work, or hasn't worked. One day at a time in the meantime. He's needing help today but we did a lot of tidying out and he enjoyed wandering and the smells in the passage and is now hollering for more food. I think it may be quite a disturbed night though.
night night xx  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1940 on: January 25, 2009, 10:41:22 AM »
Well glad you managed a decent time yesterday, getting out and enjoying yourself for lunch.  Also pleased you had a night off - naughty Swampy leaving his meds.  Hope the day is calm and the new meds start to kick in soon  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1939 on: January 25, 2009, 10:02:21 AM »
Hope you enjoyed your night off and managed to get some sleep,Oh needs some pill popping lessons i think :rofl: hope Swampy and you have a relaxing day :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1938 on: January 25, 2009, 08:26:45 AM »
It was my 'night off' but it seemed to be an average one. Must try to get OH to give Swampy his pills more often though as he's really bad at it. He told me Swampy had had Pepcid at the 4th attempt at 1am. This morning I was washing the night's food dishes - a tiny pink deposit on one of them!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1937 on: January 24, 2009, 20:29:22 PM »
Well even if he just had a sniff at the open window for a while,maybe you could wrap him in a blanket?  Anyway I am sure variety can be the spice of life and it might open up his world just a little.  Glad you got some time out today and the little man managed.  Hope you have a quiet night  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1936 on: January 24, 2009, 15:22:59 PM »
Yes I think you're right about walking him around sometimes as he gets bored. The garden's tricky. It's 55 stairs down, round the corner of the building and through a gate - and Swampy is not used to it or anything. I think he may panic even on the staircase. We used to take him out of the kitchen window into our 'own little garden' on the flat roof when it was warmer and if we got a really nice day and he wasn't too poorly that day, we could try that. It is a 2 person job though as 1 person goes out and the other would pass him through the window! When he could see he used to get lifted up on to the kitchen surface and would get outside and back by himself. I'm nervous to do it while it's so cold though.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1935 on: January 24, 2009, 12:36:36 PM »
I wonder if walking him round different parts of the house, slowly and gently and occasionally might give him a bit of stimulation and tire him too?  I think I said before, could you carry him out in the garden for 5 mins to let him sniff the air?  Anyway hope you manage to get some time to yourself today and hope that Swampy does ok  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1934 on: January 24, 2009, 09:42:55 AM »
It was my night off but apparently he was ok until 4am when he got agitated again. This morning I had to take him down the passage for a walk (much enjoyed by him) at 8am to stop his agitation. He's had his Activait for the first time so I'm hoping that will work asap too. OH is going to Swampy-sit this morning so I am going out! Very cold here too.

Link to CatChat