Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404333 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #1813 on: January 09, 2009, 19:58:54 PM »
I don't blame you Kate, there is no harm in checking.  hope the little Swampster is calm ?

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #1812 on: January 09, 2009, 18:52:47 PM »
My vet's not used Selgian before; it seems to be a calming anti depressant used for anxiety and behaviour disorders. I'm too nervous to give it to him and have asked if he'd mind speaking to the vet that wrote the paper on how it helps dementia for Fabcats (who are normally pretty good, aren't they?). Oh blimey xx  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1811 on: January 09, 2009, 10:32:22 AM »
LOl Bless you

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1810 on: January 09, 2009, 10:08:56 AM »
beat this one, any other, mad, tired old cat nursing meomys out there - not content with going to the shops without a wallet a couple of times.......I've just smeared peppermint foot cream on my face  :Crazy:
not that anyone could tell the difference!

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #1809 on: January 09, 2009, 09:45:07 AM »
Im so pleased you both manages some sleep and fingers crossed you have a good day today ,i know exactly what you mean its inbuilt in your mind that he may need you so you automatically wake up in case ,all part of being a meomy :Luv: im still sending those mega vibes for you both and hugs to  :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1808 on: January 09, 2009, 09:44:02 AM »
You beat me to it this morning Kate.  SOunds wonderful for Swampy, fingers crossed it continues.  Glad you managed a little sleep and yes I know what it's like the waking up just in case.  I still do it even though both Pepsi and Dragan are gone.  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1807 on: January 09, 2009, 09:39:27 AM »
He wasn't too bad overnight and I managed a little sleep, thanks, although I can't sleep sometimes not because of him but because I expect to have to get up, if that makes sense.  He found his way about despite getting up every 2 hours or so. I think he was tired after lots of walking yesterday, as he walked straight for much of the afternoon and evening. I don't know how long the improvement will last, but it's always a joy. Full of purrs (especially for his dad!) this morning and is now sensibly zzzz with Max.  :hug: xx

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #1806 on: January 09, 2009, 08:51:40 AM »
How are things this morning ?, did you both manage some sleep ?   :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1805 on: January 08, 2009, 22:45:18 PM »
Hope you manage to get some sleep tonight and that Swampy has a good night to, sending mega vibes to both of you and lots of hugs  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1804 on: January 08, 2009, 21:20:00 PM »
Hope your day has been ok and that you all have a calm and restful night with plenty of sleep  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1803 on: January 08, 2009, 12:13:32 PM »
Porky Max eh he is perhaps not getting so much exercise as he used to play around with Swampy?  Anyway that news is not too bad from the vet Kate, to be honest I was expecting worse.  Something else to try to let's hope it can help.  Glad you managed a few hours last night.  Loads and loads of the nicest vibes heading Swampy's way xxxxx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1802 on: January 08, 2009, 10:53:49 AM »
had a chat with the vet, who says Swampy could go up and down for quite a while, totally unpredictable. He seems fairly sure now that Swampy has brain stem damage from the accident, not a tumour. He understands how hard it is as Swampy is still physically robust, eating, shiny coat and so on. So he suggests we just go hour to hour, day to day, which is how it is anyhow. Luckily Swampy slept all the time I was out (why can't he go 3 1/2 hours at night eh?!   :tired:) and has just got up now that Max is home and has woken him up. He may also try some new Selegian or selgian tabs for dementia that Fabcats suggest, IF it calms not hypes up. And he wants him on antibiotics but we may move him to one a day. So it's all a holding pattern. If Swampy gets manic episodes, then that would change. So please think of him and send him lots of nice vibes xx

Max has been declared a porker.....he has put on more weight but is otherwise fine. May have to have a dental in 6 months time, but his toofies are like an 8 year olds. I have to try to get him to move more  ;D  I get his bloods back tonight. He didn't do thyroid as said he's "not a skinny cat"!

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1801 on: January 08, 2009, 08:40:43 AM »
OH was in here from midnight until about 4.30 so I got 4 hours zzzz which was helpful. Swampy was up every 2 hours, which now seems the pattern so it is tiring. I'm hoping to be able to have a talk with the vet when I take Max down this morning for his blood test. Just hope Swampy is settled at 9.45 - 10.45 when I have to be out.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1800 on: January 08, 2009, 08:36:24 AM »
Good morning Kate, Swampy, Max and OH.  Hope you all managed to have an easy night and that today brings some respite for Swampy. :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1799 on: January 07, 2009, 20:37:11 PM »
Hope he has a settled night and you managed some sleep too.  You must be absolutely exhausted.  Please take care of yourself as well as Swamps cos he needs his mummy to be fit and well.  xxx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1798 on: January 07, 2009, 18:20:42 PM »
thanks  :hug: I am going to just give him another Zylkene at night too. I don't know if it will work but the vet doesn't think as a supplement it can do any harm, just may not work. I've been giving him another 1/4 - 1/2 at night but his pattern seems to be sleep during the day and not at all at night and with his agitation it means getting up every 1 1/2 - 2 hours all night. He gets mega stressed and circly when he needs to go to the tray and so needs calming before and afterwards and putting back to bed. Then have to try to persuade his Maxness to settle with him as that's better for him than a whole box of Zylkene.

I am taking Max for his bloods tomorrow to the vet and will chat to him about Swampy too.
xx

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #1797 on: January 07, 2009, 18:04:56 PM »
I am sorry to read that Swampys "bad days" seem to be getting more.

Hope he has a settled night xx

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1796 on: January 07, 2009, 18:00:53 PM »
Im sorry to hear Swampy had a bad night, hope its better tonight and you both manage to get some much needed sleep,still sending vibes for you both and hugs  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #1795 on: January 07, 2009, 10:38:32 AM »
I have one of those small rubber type brush/massagers and Charlie really chills if you do it under his chin or on top of his head.  He sticks his head up and his eyes close and he looks as if he is really enjoying it.  It would be nice if you could find something guaranteed to relax Swamps

Alice is the same with her slicker brush. She loves it at any time but it helps her if she is agitated as well. She loves it under her chin and the top of her head. I got mine from PAH and it has little plastic bobbles on the ends of the wires.

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1794 on: January 07, 2009, 10:24:21 AM »
Oh dear I am sorry he is not too good.  At least your own vet is around now if you need him.  Washing himself is good though.  Hope you all have a quiet day and get some rest xxx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1793 on: January 07, 2009, 09:07:59 AM »
Swampy didn't really sleep last night so we had a tough one. He's not good I'm afraid although he is quite calm, cleaning himself now after a meal. I hope he will sleep today.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1792 on: January 07, 2009, 08:45:28 AM »
Glad he has calmed down some.  Hope the night was calm and snug.  They came to read my gas meter yesterday and boy am I in for a huge bill.  Still we have to keep us and our babies warm.  Hope Swamps and you all have a good day today and at least your vet is back now so you can heave a sigh of relief that you got through it.  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1791 on: January 06, 2009, 22:46:09 PM »
he's not too agitated at the moment, so I'm hoping that tonight isn't too bad as am pretty knackered. I know he'll need help about twice, but hope not more than that.

I have the heating on 24 hours now; it is ridiculously cold otherwise when I get up! night night  :hug: xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1790 on: January 06, 2009, 21:30:10 PM »
Just popped in with the night time wishes for a calm time.  Hope Swamp's day was restful too  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1789 on: January 06, 2009, 18:23:03 PM »
How;s he doing?  Good I hope x

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1788 on: January 06, 2009, 15:28:54 PM »
I have one of those small rubber type brush/massagers and Charlie really chills if you do it under his chin or on top of his head.  He sticks his head up and his eyes close and he looks as if he is really enjoying it.  It would be nice if you could find something guaranteed to relax Swamps

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1787 on: January 06, 2009, 14:20:36 PM »
We zoom groom followed up by combing up the hair (I have 2 containers full of course) when he is on the futon. He doesn't like it any longer anywhere else. Depending on his mood, he loves it if it's gentle. I've tried it to calm him, but he has to be sort of calm otherwise he doesn't want it.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1786 on: January 06, 2009, 14:14:02 PM »
Does he like being brushed?  Charlie loves it and it relaxes him or you can get those little wooden massage things, someone bought me one and I use it on Charlie, when, of course, he is in the mood. 

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1785 on: January 06, 2009, 14:00:34 PM »
Oh no! Don't delete a post from Charlie! What a treasure. Swampy's not repeated his sleepy brilliant efforts but when I told OH on the phone, he said the same thing which is that when he's relaxed, he's better. That's the key. It's also the problem though. Zylkene helps but only up to a point and you can't give it all the time - even if safe, it won't work. But at least today we have his purr back; on sunday night and early yesterday it had gone on holiday.
Tell Charlie not to press the Enter key with those magic paws of his, but to write us another post soon  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1784 on: January 06, 2009, 12:27:16 PM »
Swampy your a little star :best 2: i know we are all gonna keep sending these mega vibes for you :Luv:,

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1783 on: January 06, 2009, 12:16:28 PM »
Nope it's not your computer it's Charlie, hadn't realised he had put in a load of carriage returns taking me right down the page until after it was posted!  WTG Swampy you star, baby steps  :hug: Tred to amend it but gave up as there was so many lines to go down so have deleted it to prevent it taking up valuable space.  CHARLIE doh!  As I said him venturing into various areas of the house is good and will give him some stimulation perhaps make it less frustrating for him?  :hug:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 12:19:11 PM by Maddiesmum »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1782 on: January 06, 2009, 11:47:39 AM »
is it just my computer or has the whole thread below Maddiesmum's post disappeared?!

Just came on here to share some good news. I don't know if it's a one off and right now I don't care, it is good news at 11.45 this morning. Swampy got up after a long kip and found the tray, quite easily too. Never thought a little wee could make his mum almost cry. Even if he doesn't do it again, it give me some hope.  :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #1781 on: January 06, 2009, 11:14:22 AM »
More vibes from us today  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1780 on: January 06, 2009, 11:13:13 AM »
Hi Kate, so glad you had a reasonable night with Swampy hope the day goes okay as well, still sending those vibes for him and hugs for you  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #1779 on: January 06, 2009, 10:02:34 AM »
Still sending the gorgeous Swampy love, huggles and positive vibes xxx

:hug: for you Hun xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1778 on: January 06, 2009, 09:45:42 AM »
6.30am post! I hope that doesn't mean you were up with Charlie.  Swampy has been less manic since yesterday afternoon. His night wasn't too bad. We got up twice (and once found yesterday's fortekor deposited in the duvet!).
He needs quite a lot of help though when he gets up. We are just taking it as it comes.  This morning he was agitated without any real purpose, so I guided him down the passage to the bedroom and was rewarded with purrs and obvious interest in his surroundings. He also enjoys the rug, not carpet, under his paws as has a good paw slide (what used to be rug destroying nail sharpening, all stretched out, now his front paws just slide back and forward). He's eaten and has joined fat Max in the green bed. One hour, one day at a time. 
The sun's out but no longer reaches cat zzzzing areas in this poxy flat. But hope you are enjoying it where you are xx  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1777 on: January 06, 2009, 06:36:20 AM »
Good morning and I hope it is just that, good.  How was your night.  Hope Swampy has recovered from his blip and is feeling better and less manic and anxious today.  xxx Lots of snuggles with Max in order today to combat the cold

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1776 on: January 05, 2009, 18:41:43 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1775 on: January 05, 2009, 17:31:41 PM »
the new locum is very young and kind. She just told me to call her if she's needed and we chatted about how to keep him calm - not too many safe ways. Swampy's mood has been better and he's had a sleep and isn't eating as much. But he is still so vestibular, to the left.  I am losing hope although I know he's bounced back before and as she said, neuro patients are the hardest of all to decide when is right because things can change for the better or worse so dramatically with no apparent reason.  Thanks everyone for your support; I am resting now because I think it will be a tricky night xx

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #1774 on: January 05, 2009, 15:39:09 PM »
Come on Swamps you can do it 

:hug: :hug: :hug: for you all

Link to CatChat