Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404745 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #1613 on: December 17, 2008, 15:29:20 PM »
yes I know (sigh). No it'll have to be a vet, because it is being used in cats off label. It's not that I have a problem with, as Swampy's liver pills were likewise and they were fantastic. It's more that the vet who prescribed them isn't there and mine is in S Africa. I may have to use them if Swampy stops eating at the lowest dose possible and hope for the best. Juggling act when our babes have multiple problems isn't it.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1612 on: December 17, 2008, 14:44:42 PM »
Oh Kate another dilemma.  Could you contact the drug company and speak to them maybe?  Whatever it sounds as if he doesn't need it right now.   :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1611 on: December 17, 2008, 13:56:41 PM »
Just went to collect the meds from the vet. I had to sign a disclaimer as the practice has not prescribed it before. There's a bit on the net about its use in cats and a study is underway - it seems it helps with appetite and nausea but may cause more agitation or (this worries me) a raise in bp. However the vet had seen his notes - what I may do is give him the teeniest dose I can cut as a trial. Although she told me it takes 2 weeks of treatment (1/8th tab every 3 days) to help. Ideally he should have lower bp now he is on fortekor but as he's a home visit boy, it is not regularly measured. Wish I could do it at home.

He is awake so I'm going to try to feed him now. From the sound of it, if he is eating reasonably today, I should probably wait to give it until earlier in the day in case of problems. If there are problems, there's a drug antidote which is periactin, but it can take 3 days to work. Swampy does have side effects from some meds and none at all from others.....all of this is my way of saying I am nervous!!!! but he has to eat....

this is what I found on a link from Tanya's CRF site. She recommends periactin but my vet said that really only works as a single dose, not continuously. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2552

PS He's had a little lunch so I think not today. I wish I could ask a good vet on whether it's only a last resort drug in a cat that has had high bp, seizures, brain damage and will die if they don't eat,  or if they are just noting that on the side effects (as they do on all meds) just in case and it's not really an issue at very low doses. I suspect the latter - anyone know anything?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 14:13:31 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #1610 on: December 17, 2008, 13:35:26 PM »
More vibes from all of us  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1609 on: December 17, 2008, 13:15:25 PM »
LOL he is truly a soldier and Charlie would like to make him an honorary member of the army if he would like that.  Well done to him and I am glad the sun is shining for him :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #1608 on: December 17, 2008, 09:47:49 AM »
Lots more vibes for Swampy - when  Beavis refused to eat it was because he was 'clogged'......heres hoping its the same for Swampy!

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1607 on: December 17, 2008, 09:42:46 AM »
thanks again  :hug:

My lad had a good night, found the tray 3 times and his water and at 4am I heard him in the kitchen trying to eat some of Max's dry that I'd left down, thinking oh he'll not be after that. He didn't get much in him as he can't pick the pellets up, but it at least shows he was a bit hungry.  I gave lactulose and he's been twice this morning a little bit so it worked despite the lack of food. I think Pepcid's not a bad option either, although I first gave it at night which wasn't too clever of me as presume I must now stick to that. This morning he's had his fortekor and a.b but I think spat his vivitonin (I found one on the carpet but wasn't 100% sure it was todays so can't give again). That's a problem if his probs are dementia related. His cold's not great so he got tortured further with fucithalmic. Max is sneezing badly too.

My feeling from all the reading on kidney infections, blood in urine with CRF cats etc is that the a.b.s should have been long term anyhow - it all says 4 - 6 weeks. He has had 3 weeks but with breaks. I don't suppose the breaks matter too much (?) although the last one was a week.
The vibes are helping, bless you all from me and Swampa xxxxxxxx  :hug: Sun is out here and he's had all his Swampsongs sung to him while being cuddled in a little ray of it (aka 'thank God I'm deaf sometimes) xx

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: Rosie and Ruby x
« Reply #1606 on: December 17, 2008, 08:04:51 AM »
sending HUGE Healing vibes to Swampy :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #1605 on: December 17, 2008, 07:44:46 AM »
Big :hug:  :hug: to you and Swampy. 

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1604 on: December 17, 2008, 07:33:14 AM »
Of course the vibes are coming.  He may well have a sore mouth and when he starts to eat it hurts him.  A little lactulose wont do any harm will it?  Hope our boy had a decent night and has a good day too.  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1603 on: December 17, 2008, 00:02:01 AM »
No, his teeth are awful but they've been awful for a while. He won't let me look! He's not depressed or too lethargic as yet, just won't eat or drink enough. He hicced tonight while sitting on the bed, so I gave him Pepcid. He ate a very small bit of k/d and some pate, in several attempts (say 1/4 of one of those small 85g cans) about 2 hours later. What is odd is he starts eating as if he's hungry, then after about 15 secs, suddenly stops, head goes down and backwards and the paw comes out. And he'll only eat anything in his bed. I'm starting to wonder how much is he's feeling bad in his tum and how much is possibly dementia - no idea, could be both.
I've been wondering if I should give him a small dose of lactulose - I'd hate him to struggle if it's solvable with a plop. He did go last night but strained a bit, then went, left the tray and went back in and fired out more (sorry!). If his tum's not comfy or it is the urea toxins, I think it may help. But I'm worried about doing the wrong thing of course.
Just hope we have a reasonable night and he will eat something in the morning. And drink - he's not looking for water either so I've put teaspoons of it in his little bits of food. He's not dehydrated but it can't be good.
Please send vibes that tomorrow's better.
sleep well xx  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1602 on: December 16, 2008, 20:18:43 PM »
Are his teeth ok Kate?  Dragan used to do that when his teeth were giving him problems.  Anyway hope he manages to eat some more and has a good night.  Love and  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1601 on: December 16, 2008, 16:32:34 PM »
this coming one's a retired bloke so just earning a bit of cash I imagine. Today's Aussie is young and was very helpful and read all his notes.  Luckily the vet has them on his computer system, but it's still a long read as there are pages as you can imagine.

Swampy just ate about 1/8th can k/d so I'm hoping the SEB is helping him.  His cold's a bit up and his Maxness is now sneezing too (all over my face at one point) so I've turned off the humidifier in case it's that.

He's now refused 2 more little meals, except for eating about 2 square inches of very thinly layed food on the plate mixed with water. He doesn't seem to want to drink either. So far his mood is ok and he's moving around without discomfort - when he felt so sick with liver disease he just sat and wouldn't move. But he licks away for about 30 seconds, not hoovering much up, then the paw comes out and says to stop. I think he must have had about 1/4 can in all today but am not sure.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 19:47:14 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1600 on: December 16, 2008, 15:55:23 PM »
Hiya it's certainly worth a try good on the locum.  You never know tomorrow's might be good too.  Sometimes they are crass but at others they put a lot of effort in to prove themselves because they are locums.  look forward to hearing it has helped xx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1599 on: December 16, 2008, 15:17:04 PM »
The vet just called me back to suggest something they've been using with success in cats with kidney related nausea in Oz - metazapine. He gets a small dose every 3 days for 2 weeks to see if it helps, starting tomorrow. It's an anti depressant but she says a lot of CRF cats do well on it and eat. The only issue is that it masks how bad the kidneys are because the cats feel better (like with steroids), but as she said it's all about making life comfortable towards the end and enjoying what time is left.
I hope it works. I'm glad the results came in today because I think tomorrow's locum may not be as good (hope I'm wrong).

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1598 on: December 16, 2008, 15:05:54 PM »
Oh dear come on Swamps you need to eat to keep your strength up.  Hope the abs start working soon and the little chap is feeling better  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1597 on: December 16, 2008, 14:50:45 PM »
Aussie locum spoke to me. Swampy's results are the same as the last test my usual vet did - blood, protein, casts in his urine indicating kidney problems and possible infection. She thinks a week may be too soon to tell as the a.bs leave traces, but it's unlikely to be clear from a urine test anyhow. She thinks I must put him back on to a.b.s possibly longer term to see how he does on them. So he's going back on to them tonight.
Better get some yoghurt down him first. I think both vets think the main issue is his kidneys now, although the urea/creatinine readings aren't that high, something is not good.
She sounded nice and a good vet, but is replaced by someone else (a retired bloke) tomorrow for most of the duration unfortunately.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1596 on: December 16, 2008, 14:14:43 PM »
I've been reading tanya's CRF site and it says for urinary or kidney infections like possible nephritis, antibiotics are taken for 4 - 6 weeks. I have a week's supply here but am waiting for the urine test results. But I am tempted to just go solo on this one and put him back on to them. Her site says that because of the kidney damage, they take far longer to work. My vet said it could be glomerulo nephritis or similar. He is guessing as there's no xray or scan of course. (I'ved googled that  - so far it doesn't fit so am none the wiser).
At the vets there's a changeover to another locum tomorrow, so it would take him a few days to read notes etc etc. In the meantime I've decided to give SEB in a gelcap to see if it helps. If it doesn't I may try Pepcid. Pepcid seems a bit stronger and I'm concerned that it may interact badly with whatever's wrong with his kidneys.  It's all so difficult when this is new territory and the vet you trust isn't here.

Swampy's very purry but this is the first day with this low level of food intake so I imagine he would get weak quite fast if he doesn't eat much today and tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 14:19:59 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1595 on: December 16, 2008, 14:06:19 PM »
that is a worry  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1594 on: December 16, 2008, 13:58:10 PM »
He's eating very badly.  Just a little bit, half hearted. Mostly k/d if anything, but then only a teaspoon or 2 at a time. This is quite sudden. He won't eat any food with chunks or that can't be licked up and he won't eat any fresh food like chicken or tuna either. Not sure what to do, other than worry.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1593 on: December 16, 2008, 10:46:04 AM »
Hiya Kate.  It might be that he is just making a new routine for himself.  I wont tell you not to worry though!!!  Can't advise re the food and Pepcid etc but hope the day is good  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1592 on: December 16, 2008, 09:59:54 AM »
Swampy had another peaceful night, getting up at 3 and sorting himself out and then sleeping on until 6.30 or so - which is all unusual, so now instead of being pleased, I am worried as he must be getting weaker. He's not eating very well; it's a mission to persuade him to eat enough. I give it, he eats, stops, I take it away for 10 mins then we try again.....He's gone off the microwaved k/d but did eat a bit of a new can k/d in 2 gos - I'll have to try him again at 11.30 with his steroids. They don't seem to be picking up his appetite any more (although he may not be eating at all without them of course) and nor does the fortekor help his appetite. I don't know how much he's getting exactly - I used to keep notes - but I now have to chuck more food than at any time before.

couple of questions: I wondered about Pepcid again in case he's a bit off colour in his tum from his kidneys and meds. How many hours around other meds do you give a 1/4 pepcid (around fortekor or steroids)? I'll give him some plain yoghurt too. Not sure about the SEB if he's not eating as would have to put it in a capsule (?). He is pooing, so far ok.

and is it ok to leave the k/d in its can in a glass, sealed container? Up until now I've been decanting it and chucking the can. I put it in a coolbag and it stays there all day (less than 24 hours). I just think it may retain a bit more moisture if left in the can. It's the one food he will consistently eat a little bit of (the pate is sticky and he sometimes will only eat a teeny bit cos it sticks in his teeth) but he hates it when it starts to go hard - which the stupid stuff does, even in glass containers.
 :hug:  :hug: everyone xx sunshine???? what's that :-(

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1591 on: December 16, 2008, 08:23:31 AM »
Hope Swampy and you all had a restful night.  Hope, too, that his cold settles down quickly.  Poor Swampy.  May today bring him lots of sunshine patches.  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1590 on: December 15, 2008, 19:39:18 PM »
He's very sleepy this afternoon. Couldn't be bothered to move to wee, so I picked him up and took him! Then gave him kaminox as the vet thinks it's wonderful for giving a little vavavoom to poorly cats (amino acids). He ate a little food, but I'm now warming it up (so far so good as it goes a bit softer). His cold is starting to fire up a little bit, which is down to the b***** weather. My friend has lent me a humidifier so I've got that on (not sure if you're meant to put hot or just ordinary water in it, but it's like a drum thing) to try to help a bit. The CH makes my eyes sore too, so suppose not too good for snuffly cats? Mind you, freezing would be worse. I hope he eats better later and also that he sleeps tonight as his old mum could use a few hours.  The vet nurse said the lab results may be tomorrow, but could well be wed. Trying to keep calm about it all.

lots of love again and dark brown choclit purrs to all  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1589 on: December 15, 2008, 19:34:22 PM »
Hopefully the lovely Swamps has had a good day and will have a restful night  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1588 on: December 15, 2008, 18:47:52 PM »
Gentle little snuzzles to Swampy.  xxxx :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1587 on: December 15, 2008, 11:56:23 AM »
Phew I was starting to get worried as no updates

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1586 on: December 15, 2008, 10:52:01 AM »
Swampa had quite a good night, thanks. He's not eating much though -he sort of starts enthusiastically, then stops. Anyhow I took his sample down and we'll see how that turns out. He's keeping warm and having a nice zzzz at the mo' too.
lots of love to everyone  :hug: xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1585 on: December 15, 2008, 10:05:41 AM »
Hope our special friend had a lovely night and hope too that the day goes well for you all  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1584 on: December 14, 2008, 22:20:46 PM »
Night night to the little love sponge - hope everyone has a good night.  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1583 on: December 14, 2008, 15:24:40 PM »
GINORMOUS VIBES heading your way right now from Manchester.  Hope things are ok  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1582 on: December 14, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »
He was striding around the room this morning, a bit agitated but straighter at any rate. I think it is stress and a bit of dementia, which is why it changes for better or worse quite quickly. OH was in here again most of the night and said they had a lovely purr session at 5am. If Swampcat's having senior moments, just have to look after him more. He's eaten ok but now says 'enough' with his paw when he hasn't quite had enough, things like that. Still a love sponge though.
I haven't given him any more abs and am hoping I can wait for the test tomorrow and the results, but I may ask them to put urgent on the sample if they can, just in case. Trouble is the locum for the first 2 days (mon, tues) is someone off the internet that no-one knows - the main one has worked for a surgery in London before so he gets here wed. Just hope they are ok anyhow.

big vibes coming Swampa's way seem to help so please keep them coming for my little old man xx  :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #1581 on: December 14, 2008, 09:14:50 AM »
Topping up the Minster vibes for Swampy , hope all had a restful night. xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1580 on: December 14, 2008, 07:56:50 AM »
I am hoping Swampy and you all had restful night and that the sun shines down for him today :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #1579 on: December 14, 2008, 01:40:10 AM »
Sending loads of mega healing vibes for the Swampy boy - hope he improves and has a stress free night.
 :hug: :hug: :hug: to you all .

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1578 on: December 13, 2008, 22:54:34 PM »
Hope he is feeling better by now and wishing you all a comfy night  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1577 on: December 13, 2008, 15:23:14 PM »
At least he's eating well. I think the latest circling is stress. So the world's most kissed cat isn't going to lose that title soon. Trying to keep him calm and he does seem calmer after several mega love sessions - he had one little walk that was better in among the circles. The vet's told me to keep up the Kaminox as it should help him feel a bit stronger.

I went to collect some antibiotics just in case, but ideally they want me to take down another urine sample to go to the lab on monday before he takes any more abs - I wish they'd sent the earlier one to the lab - as there is a v small chance that he has an infection that is resistant to these (synulox type) a.bs. The tricky thing is nights as normally it's OH's turn again to give me a break, but he sleeps like a log so if Swampy needs help if he doesn't yell, there could be a stressful wait for him.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #1576 on: December 13, 2008, 14:40:54 PM »
Sending lots and lots of healing vibes for the little man and  :hug: :hug: for you ,it must be so hard and frustrating for you
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1575 on: December 13, 2008, 12:50:51 PM »
MEGA MEGA MEGA vibes for our little friend.  Hope it's just a blip big  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1574 on: December 13, 2008, 10:55:17 AM »
Swampy's not too good today. He was ok when I went to bed (OH's turn in here), walking fine and finding his tray. However this morning he is pulling hard to the left and circling left and is needing help to find his tray. I don't know if it's stress or if it's because he's been off the a.b.s since monday night. The vet is travelling this afternoon but I've left a message.
Swampy's eaten fine, it's just the vestibular symptoms again. At least little one is now sleeping in his igloo.  :hug: xx to everyone, please send mega vibes.

Link to CatChat