Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404749 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #1573 on: December 13, 2008, 06:30:18 AM »
I missed my night time message last night so am sending double hugs for a good day.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1572 on: December 12, 2008, 18:50:25 PM »
 :hug: :hug:  Sending some more loving vibes for Swampy

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #1571 on: December 12, 2008, 10:20:11 AM »
Sounds like you have a lovely supportive vet there which I would imagine really helps.
More vibes for you all  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1570 on: December 12, 2008, 08:55:11 AM »
You beat me to it this morning Kate :)  Glad he managed straight lines though wish it was in the day and not the night.  Hope he continues to keep straight today and there is a little sunshine patch for him to lie in  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #1569 on: December 12, 2008, 08:04:14 AM »
walking in straight lines all night (finding everything) and this morning and voicing his disapproval that the heating was off at 3.30am - I know it won't last, but it's funny how coming off antibiotics kicks this in for a day or so. The vet says the exercise is good for him so if he's not stressed, let him walk around. He didn't fancy his k/d this morning much though, not like yesterday. It's a batch with gritty little bits in it, even when freshly opened. My boy likes smooooth food for his lousy teeth.

hoping for a quieter day later xx  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1568 on: December 11, 2008, 22:55:14 PM »
Night night Swampy and co - sweet dreams  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1567 on: December 11, 2008, 15:46:50 PM »
must be relief to know the vet thinks he is not in any pain, at least you can enjoy the time with him knowing he is not suffering - I'm sure he will still be around to see in 2009, he is such a fighter

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1566 on: December 11, 2008, 15:45:15 PM »
Well I am sorry to hear about the likely kidney issues but am pleased your vet is expecting to see him in the New Year.  Plus  I am glad he supported you in keeping Swampy going.  Bless him letting the vet tickle his tum. xxx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #1565 on: December 11, 2008, 15:37:17 PM »
Swampy got out of his igloo, lay on his back and purred while the vet ticked his tum - and he walked a bit in his circles, but found Max in the other bed and curled up

Bless him  :Luv2:

Sounds like the vet is reasonably happy with the way Swampy is at the moment, and is leaving you in good hands while he is away. I'm sure too that Swamps will be still be around when vet returns, the little fighter that he is  :Luv:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1564 on: December 11, 2008, 15:11:55 PM »
The vet was here for about an hour and was wonderful. Swampy's biggest problem, apart from his brain damage, is the blood in his urine, which has got a little worse. Without a scan he's not sure what it is caused by, but there wouldn't probably be any treatment he could have anyhow - it would just help him know what's wrong. So we both decided that a trip down to do it would probably not be in Swampy's interests. His best guess is some kind of nephritis where the kidneys leak blood, so it's important I keep giving him kaminox which has iron and vit B. Swampy will deteriorate over the next weeks or few months he thinks, but it's hard to know how long he's got.

Swampy got out of his igloo, lay on his back and purred while the vet ticked his tum - and he walked a bit in his circles, but found Max in the other bed and curled up (vet took a photo with his mobile as thought it was so cute).  I made a point of asking was he in pain or suffering and were we being unkind or wrong to keep going and he said definitely not, that if we could handle looking after him like this, that Swampy was coping ok.  He also said to try to see if we can give the steroids every 48 hours, unless Swamps gets too down in which case keep it at 36.

No-one knows how fast he will deteriorate or if his bleeding will get worse or when. But he will leave instructions with the locum and says the nurses will insist that if Swampy's time comes while he is away, that it is done the same way he would do it. But he says he thinks Swampy will still be around on 7 January and of course I hope he's right. 

With his support and the support on Purrs, it makes it easier to cope and so thanks again for being there for my Swamp  :hug:  :hug: xx He's curled up with Max now in the other bed and they look so sweet.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1563 on: December 11, 2008, 11:30:07 AM »
Hope all goes well today, update us when the vet has been.  Snuggly hugs for the igloo boys.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1562 on: December 11, 2008, 09:41:31 AM »
Thanks, we had quite a good night and he's eaten well this morning, better than when on the abs. He's not walking straight though, but he seems happy in himself. I've have had to do a few calming strokes and rescues. Lots of purrs and is now iglooed with Max (eyebrow snogging).  The vet is coming for a home visit today before he jets off to the sun on Sunday, so I'm busy making notes of my questions. I think I will ask him to leave a note for the locums in case of emergency. I'm very nervous about him being away. He's so good and has given me such immense support with the way we are treating Swampy.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1561 on: December 11, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
Morning- hope you all had a restful night and Swampy can find some sunshine to bask in today  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1560 on: December 10, 2008, 21:52:22 PM »
Hope the main man has had a good day and mum hasn't needed too many kitkats.  Lots of love and positive vibes for a lovely night for you all :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #1559 on: December 10, 2008, 15:58:14 PM »
just took a sample down to the vet for urinalysis and it was a bit cloudy, so I googled and found this link which explains the whole urinalysis, which I think is quite helpful to know about so am posting it. HTH someone else too
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=0&aid=3136

That was really interesting so thank you for posting that, I've bookmarked the link.

:hug: :hug: :hug: to you all today

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1558 on: December 10, 2008, 14:01:16 PM »
just took a sample down to the vet for urinalysis and it was a bit cloudy, so I googled and found this link which explains the whole urinalysis, which I think is quite helpful to know about so am posting it. HTH someone else too
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=0&aid=3136

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1557 on: December 10, 2008, 09:54:30 AM »
We had a bit of a yo-yo night (Mum up and crashing back down quite a lot) as he needed some help. Lots of stress before a mega plop at 2.15am (might cut back on the SEB to see if it's making him go more often as he went big-time at 9am yesterday too and isn't eating that much).  I'm monitoring him in case any of this is due to stopping the antibiotics, as last time he had to go back on them and was better and no-one's quite sure why though. He has eaten a bit this morning, but is finding his way about 50% of the time, it's unpredictable. He found and drank a lot of cold water at 5am and promptly left it on the carpet too.....then Max chucked his brekker all over the futon....so I'm hoping for a long igloo sleep from them now and better news later on. I must try to get a urine sample down to the vets later on and try to find out when and if he is still coming to see Swampy tomorrow.

pukey peeps send lots of love to (stop it now) diarrhoea peeps and to everyone for a good day and keep warm  :hug: xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1556 on: December 10, 2008, 09:01:38 AM »
Morning Swampy's clan from the diarrhoea peeps.  Hope you all had a good night and your day is calm and happy :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1555 on: December 09, 2008, 22:24:47 PM »
Lots of hugs and vibes coming your way for a quiet night

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1554 on: December 09, 2008, 13:11:44 PM »
Good boy Swamps doing a lovely poo for us all (not sure he would appreciate his toileting habits made so public :)).  Don't know anything about the SEB I'm afriad but am sure someone who does will be along soon.  Maybe now he has got used to the steroids and isn't as active as he used to be he doesn't need so much food?  Just a thought.  Whatever I am glad he had a bit of sunshine today.  Hope the rest of the day is good for him too  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1553 on: December 09, 2008, 12:26:33 PM »
He was very quiet overnight, mostly in his igloo - don't know if the new regime of 1/2 Zylkene at night and the 2 feliway diffusers are why or if it's just him. And this morning he did a normal mega one, thank you! (what we talk about eh).
He has been into the bedroom for a purr in what passes for sun (now gone) and is now in his other bed by the radiator. He found the tray during the night as well, although sometimes he circles and sometimes not as much. This is the first day off antibiotics again so we'll see what happens by tonight.
 :hug:  :hug: xx

He is definitely eating less, since the injection, which I think caused his tum to feel a bit iffy. It may be just that now he is going to eat less, but does SEB help with appetite at all? He is still on steroids every 36 hours but they aren't spiking his appetite much these days as think he has got used to them. Vet said that the blood tests showed that he could tolerate this dose of steroids. I didn't give SEB yesterday but will today if it may help him to eat more? thanks.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 12:55:10 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1552 on: December 09, 2008, 08:41:22 AM »
Morning Swampy did you have a nice poo (!)  I hope so,  Hope,l too that your day is lovely  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1551 on: December 08, 2008, 23:37:06 PM »
 :hug: thank you xx

we are waiting to see if a poo tray visit is going to happen - I hope then he may get some sleep and his mum likewise.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1550 on: December 08, 2008, 21:39:58 PM »
Hope Swamp has had a good day and sending hugs for a lovely cosy night  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1549 on: December 08, 2008, 12:40:59 PM »
That's good news that you have at least some reliable back up for the holiday.  Let's hope you wont need it.  Glad our little mate had a good night

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1548 on: December 08, 2008, 12:20:19 PM »
Sending gentle ear tugs to the choclit brown Purr maker.    :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1547 on: December 08, 2008, 12:13:03 PM »
OH says he had a calm night. I couldn't sleep at all in the bedroom, worrying about my little one! I went to speak to another vet in the area this morning; he did Swampy's rabies injection in the leg in 2006 before I first found my current vet. He says he can help me while my vet is away if necessary - if the locum isn't that great as they can be very variable. He's away too, but from 19th to after Xmas. So if things stay the way they are now, that's most likely what we will do. The other vet is a very nice bloke, which helps. There's one week then with no known vet cover, which is better than 25 days. Here's hoping and praying that things are stable and work out for the best for the Swampcat......who has been asleep most of the morning  :hug: xx

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #1546 on: December 08, 2008, 10:59:50 AM »
More vibes for you all  :hug: :hug: :hug:

I am glad the zylkene is helping even if it is only a little

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1545 on: December 08, 2008, 09:20:25 AM »
Morning hugs to you all and hopes for a calm and happy day  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1544 on: December 07, 2008, 21:36:00 PM »
Hope everyone in the Swampy camp has a restful night  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #1543 on: December 07, 2008, 19:03:09 PM »
SEB usually takes a day or two to firm up poos. Hope you have a quiet night.  :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #1542 on: December 07, 2008, 17:44:37 PM »
Glad hes having a better day! A hug for Max today as he mum is a meanine by not delivering the sun when he asks for it!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1541 on: December 07, 2008, 16:08:14 PM »
Glad to hear he's having a not too bad day.  Big hugs to you all xx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1540 on: December 07, 2008, 15:03:23 PM »
He's been circling today and needing help, but having said that, is not wandering much, is happy in himself and eating reasonably again with a bit of coaxing. Purring like a tractor when cuddled too. His coat is so good and shiny. The major problem's obviously the stress causing circling, but we are trying to keep him nice and calm and reassured. I do think the Zylkene helps a bit. Max hopped into the igloo right on to Swampy's head, which didn't go down too well! Luckily I was right next door on the futon when it happened. Max is having a miaow or ten today - he sees the sun and is convinced that his horrible mother is preventing him from lying in pools of it somewhere in the flat, whereas there's not much that he can lie in now - it comes right in and hits the back wall :(

hugs to all, going to give more SEB with the next meal. Does it take a while to work?

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1539 on: December 07, 2008, 08:44:55 AM »
Good boy Swamps, try and keep it up.  Hope all was calm last night and that Swampy has one of his wonderful good days today  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1538 on: December 06, 2008, 23:53:37 PM »
He had about 1/6th can tonight so that is an improvement. It may be the SEB; whatever it is I am thankful. Now re-iglooed with Max. Thanks for all the good vibes  :hug: night all. OH in charge as is studying until 1am anyhow tonight. xx from us all.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1537 on: December 06, 2008, 20:51:09 PM »
Hey Swampy buddy will you please eat properly for your mum and for us.  We are all sending you our love and hugs and positive thoughts and hope you manage to fill your tummy and have a lovely calm night xxxx

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #1536 on: December 06, 2008, 17:09:09 PM »
More vibes on the way - come on Swampy , eat for you mum.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1535 on: December 06, 2008, 12:57:52 PM »
what's the start dose of SEB and is it once a day? I just want to try it to see if it makes any difference - off to get some now. thanks!

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1534 on: December 06, 2008, 10:15:54 AM »
Some of the tum has settled a bit overnight (less toxic plops to be honest) but he's still not eating well and is circling quite a bit when he walks, which is underlying stress we all think now. I'm wondering if I should try Pepcid again (I'd cut that as too many meds etc) as his kidneys must be churning out toxins and when he isn't circling, he drinks more than when he is. Although I take the water to him, obviously not at exactly the right time as he often refuses to drink. He's not dehydrated though. His dad got some chin nips this morning, but we are again worried about him today. Hope we can settle his tum, then see how he is. Please send yet more vibes for him if you can.

lots of love and the sun is out here (ok a bit) so hope for everyone else too.  :hug: xx

Link to CatChat