Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404781 times)

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #1373 on: November 22, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »
Sorry you are having a rough time  :hug:  Hope the meds improve him a little and you have a quiet day  :hug: Did you get the pm I sent you wasn't sure if it sent?  Loads of hugs

Sarah

PLEASE GIVE A BLACK CAT A CHANCE LOTS ARE LEFT IN RESCUE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR COLOUR.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1372 on: November 22, 2008, 06:23:32 AM »
Oh Kate I wouldn't know about the meds so can't give you any advice there.  All I can give and Swampy is moral support and love and hugs
Hope you had an ok night in the circumstances.  When is your OH home again?  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #1371 on: November 21, 2008, 23:19:53 PM »
It was such a small dose for Franta i put it on his food rather than further stress him by trying to syringe, he woulkd have need to be restrained by wrapping in a towel.

As far as I know he ate it all cos I tried to put it on the jelly!  He showed no different effects after but he was already sleeping loads and this continued.

I do not know what doesage you have given but Frantas couldnt have been any smaller.

To be honest I dont think the pain that Swampy is feeling can be alleviated with painkillers, sorry  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #1370 on: November 21, 2008, 23:04:19 PM »
I'd have to put it very slowly in his mouth to be absorbed by the membranes as can't inject him myself (the vetergesic). Did it make Franta breathe differently or hyper agitated? It says euphoria with mad purring, rubbing and pacing is common. That worries me a lot. Then again, if he is in pain that could be why he is circling.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #1369 on: November 21, 2008, 23:00:39 PM »
I had vetergesic for Franta last week, cos metacam no good cos of kidney. He was only to be givem 0.1 mil.

Valium however was given to him twice by injection in last two weeks to make him eat and was told that the fiorst time he went crazy for the food bowls. Second time gave him much smaller dose and apart from making him agitated , no effect, so he was given more and eventaually he ate.

When we came home in the car he eventually quietened down but they wanted me to leave him for an hour with them so that the effects would lessen.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1368 on: November 21, 2008, 22:54:55 PM »
thanks and to you too  :hug:  I am just too scared to administer the vetergesic having read up on the common side effects. It may be one for when the vet is around although I'm sure he wouldn't have given it to me if he thought it was too dangerous. I'm wondering if I may give Swampy a tiny bit of valium to calm him as his night agitation has just started and he has no prospect of finding anything tonight, his circling is just too bad.  I gave him glucosamine in his meal as it apparently has the same active ingredient as Cystease but it hasn't as yet helped. Also think I may try another valerian but not sure that it works straight away.
Just after he pooed tonight he walked a little better and found his way out of the kitchen, but within a meter or 2 he was back to circling and stressing. Then when we cuddle him on the bed he is so calm and happy.
xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1367 on: November 21, 2008, 20:40:33 PM »
Evening hugs for all in the Swampy camp and wishes for a calm night  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1366 on: November 21, 2008, 16:38:23 PM »
It doesn't do much for Charlie I'm afraid but it may help Swampy.  Hope so.  You can get it from Vetuk
x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1365 on: November 21, 2008, 15:56:55 PM »
just ordered a pack of 10, should be here tomorrow I hope. The company said that it was ok for CRF but they couldn't guarantee it would work. It's worth a try so thanks again xx

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #1364 on: November 21, 2008, 15:30:58 PM »
The nurse is ringing up the manufacturers to ask. She also checked the VN forums - the main issue seems to be whether it works well or not, not whether it is safe, so may well be worth a try. Being Friday, don't suppose I can get it until monday or probably tuesday though which is a pity.  I also asked her to ask if Cystaid was worth a go or if this is too advanced a problem for that.
Many thanks for the suggestion  :thanks:  :hug:xx

From personal experience I've had fantastic results with Zylkene using it for stress, he'd sit and watch the fireworks this year for example. I really hope you can try it and it works I really do.  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1363 on: November 21, 2008, 15:20:56 PM »
The nurse is ringing up the manufacturers to ask. She also checked the VN forums - the main issue seems to be whether it works well or not, not whether it is safe, so may well be worth a try. Being Friday, don't suppose I can get it until monday or probably tuesday though which is a pity.  I also asked her to ask if Cystaid was worth a go or if this is too advanced a problem for that.
Many thanks for the suggestion  :thanks:  :hug:xx

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #1362 on: November 21, 2008, 15:03:35 PM »
What is Zylkene please? And is it safe for kidneys? thanks xx

Ps just seen your link and have emailed it to my vet. I need to get anything okayed by him. I've got my hopes up again, thank you  :hug: xx

I don't know about the kidneys issue I'm afraid but I hope your vet says its okay to try with Swamps  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1361 on: November 21, 2008, 14:33:55 PM »
Can't offer any advice about the meds but just giving you and Swampy a massive  :hug:

PLEASE GIVE A BLACK CAT A CHANCE LOTS ARE LEFT IN RESCUE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR COLOUR.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1360 on: November 21, 2008, 13:46:19 PM »
What is Zylkene please? And is it safe for kidneys? thanks xx

Ps just seen your link and have emailed it to my vet. I need to get anything okayed by him. I've got my hopes up again, thank you  :hug: xx
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 13:51:43 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #1359 on: November 21, 2008, 13:34:58 PM »
I was about to say the same as Maddiesmum as well, have you tried Zylkene?

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1358 on: November 21, 2008, 13:26:16 PM »
What about Zylkene?  Might help with his stress.  Hope he can get something sorted stress is awful for them and us!  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1357 on: November 21, 2008, 12:31:36 PM »
just came back from the vet. I got some morphine syringes to put slowly in his mouth if I think he is stressed from being in pain - to try if his circling gets too bad or he's very agitated or crying. I got some diazepam to give him a very little if necessary (he is ok on it as had it before for his seizures) which will make him calm but a bit groggy. I'm thinking about trying a bit of rescue remedy first, every hour or so in his mouth to see if anything that simple could help.
He was on the futon when I got back and had a purr so seems to be a little calmer for the minute; it's when he needs to wee that he's most upset, because of the discomfort and the inability to find the tray. Lots of cuddles today and I just hope and pray that he doesn't block. The vet has told me how to do an instant 'manual unblock', but it sounds very tricky.
 :hug:s to everyone, sorry for the long posts xx
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 12:32:30 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1356 on: November 21, 2008, 11:10:20 AM »
While I was asleep last night, sometime between 2 and 5, Swampy didn't make the tray poor love. He's circling very badly again and was very stressed this morning. Max at last has got into the igloo with him and they are having a snog which will calm him down. But I've just read this, which tends to say that antibiotics may only work to quiet down the pain of a urinary infection in cats and what we should be doing is to try to calm his stress down. Valerian didn't do it so am not sure what I can do.
There's still blood (same as before) in his urine and his pH is up to 7.  I am scared Swampy will 'block' and I know the vet's main concern is his kidneys right now. He thinks the circling is from stress from not feeling well and is brain stem damage from his accident and nothing we can do about that.
I was googling and found this australian site which seems good http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-urinarytract-problems.htm.  I really do believe that most of Swampy's problems are from stress now.

I'm going to fetch a painkiller drug to syringe into his mouth in 5 min intervals - something like morphine, to see if that helps calm . Otherwise there's an anti depressant (calmaline? can't remember, not amitryptaline) we could try from Monday which may make things much better or much worse. The vet says we really should see a neurologist so I asked him to speak to one but he doesn't think that will be helpful - he does a lot of referring so knows which drugs they tend to prescribe.  I can't put Swampy through a trip in the car to Kent and scans so looks like we are back to where we were before he improved. He doesn't think changing antibiotic will help at all. So I suggested painkiller and that's what we are trying. Sorry if this isn't too coherent; I am just determined that if we CAN control his stress, that we should try. He had blood in his urine all week and he stopped circling so the antibiotic did help him feel better and less stressed as a result, but that's not working like that any more.

Little one is calm now and finally has gone to sleep in the warm igloo with his brother Max.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1355 on: November 20, 2008, 22:19:07 PM »
Just popped on with a night time hug for you all.  How are you managing on your own Kate?  Hope it's not too stressful for you.  Hope, too, that you all have a restful night  :hug:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #1354 on: November 20, 2008, 21:26:56 PM »
More hugs from us too  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1353 on: November 20, 2008, 14:52:54 PM »
OOOOH poor Swamps hope by the time you read this post he has bucked up again.  Lots of loving hugs coming his way   :hug:

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1352 on: November 20, 2008, 13:34:38 PM »
Poor Swampy and poor you  :hug:  Lets hope the vet does call you later just so you know what is happening  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1351 on: November 20, 2008, 13:02:14 PM »
just took a sample down to the vet. Swampy still has blood in his urine and his specific gravity's low. I hope the vet will call again later (twice in one day may be too much) as I don't know if this is to be expected after a week of antibiotics. He gave him another week of them. I am sure that the circling is because he isn't feeling well again because it always gets worse when he has any stress.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #1350 on: November 20, 2008, 11:39:42 AM »
Oh no I am sorry to hear Swamps had a bad night.

More vibes from us  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1349 on: November 20, 2008, 10:53:52 AM »
I sorry you are having a bad time again fingers crossed its just a bad day.   :hug:  Loads of special prayers and vibes for you and Swampy  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1348 on: November 20, 2008, 10:48:11 AM »
We had a quiet night because Swampy just lay next to me, he didn't want to move, which he's not done before. When he did get up, he's circling around to the right all the time again. I'm just so disappointed as nearly 6 days of such improvement gets your hopes up.  I called the vet who insists that because Swampy goes both left and right when he's been circling it is likely to be brain stem damage or inflammation rather than bacterial infection. The vet thinks he just felt better when given antibiotics for his kidney/bladder infection and somehow that's worn off. Swampy doesn't sleep much but lies on his tum with his head a bit down, although he has been very purry and has eaten pretty well this morning. He's peed less too, which is also sudden, but I'm going to try to get a sample and take it down for analysis.

I'm not sure what he can find again; he found water but needed help for his tray. I've given him a hottie and put him in the igloo and I hope he'll have a lovely sleep at last.  Please keep sending him your special prayers and vibes as the vet says it could be just a bad day, but I don't think so - I think he's just gone back to what he was.
He doesn't think it's worth changing the antibiotic or dosage but just keep doing what I'm doing.
 :hug: xx

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1347 on: November 20, 2008, 06:59:31 AM »
Sending a gentle early morning hug to Swampy  :hug:  Hope you had a quiet night, Kate.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1346 on: November 19, 2008, 22:46:35 PM »
thanks  :hug:  Swampy is lying in the igloo, got him to eat but his head is sort of down. He hasn't poo'd at all today - maybe he will during the night - and he does look as if he doesn't feel well poor lamb.
good night to all of you too xx big purrs to everyone.

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1345 on: November 19, 2008, 21:53:02 PM »
 :hug:  I don't know the answer either but it couldn't hurt to take a sample in to the vets.  I hope Swampy calls down a little and has a good night and massive   :hug: for you xx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #1344 on: November 19, 2008, 21:42:23 PM »
Do you know if a urine sample would show anything now that he's on the antibiotics as I may take one down? He told me to do that when the antibiotics were finished, but seeing as though he's deteriorated today I might anyhow if there's any point (?).

I guess it wouldnt hurt to get a sample and take it in tomorrow, and as bungly mentioned, maybe vet will suggest different antibiotics. I think your'e right about antibitoics and steroids working against each other though, difficult really, when you are trying to treat so many different problems isnt it? Hope he is a bit calmer soon  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1343 on: November 19, 2008, 21:27:15 PM »
Don't know the answer Kate but hope you can speak to the vet tomorrow x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1342 on: November 19, 2008, 21:11:15 PM »
Swampy's not that good tonight. Easily frightened and a bit of circling again. After last night's runs, no poos at all (which may not be helping) but has eaten ok. I just had to calm him down as he went to the tray, then couldn't find the igloo afterwards and became a bit panicky. He's peed a bit more often so perhaps it's that. Either way I will have to try to get hold of the vet tomorrow - it's not easy as he's always really busy. Do you know if a urine sample would show anything now that he's on the antibiotics as I may take one down? He told me to do that when the antibiotics were finished, but seeing as though he's deteriorated today I might anyhow if there's any point (?).

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1341 on: November 19, 2008, 19:55:28 PM »
Hope you can get the meds sorted.  Have a quiet night x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1340 on: November 19, 2008, 18:39:48 PM »
I'm due to collect another week's supply tomorrow so I will have to try to speak to the vet and ask. Maybe they aren't strong enough now. They are Noroclav 50mgs (same as Synulox apparently: amoxycillin) and he gets one twice a day.  I spoke to my neighbour who has been really ill and who was given high dose steroids and she says that her antibiotics sometimes didn't work too well either because of the steroids - they depress the immune system.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #1339 on: November 19, 2008, 18:24:52 PM »
Maybe the vet could change the antibiotics to a different sort ? I had some when Bungly had cystitis and they didn''t do much good ater 4 days , so i rang and he gave me some different ones.
Hope Swampy improves and you have a quietish night.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1338 on: November 19, 2008, 17:48:33 PM »
thanks good furbabe lovers - let's see how we get on!

Swampy's done a little bit of circling today, back to the right again this time. I must try to speak to the very busy vet as I think Swamps is peeing a bit too often still so possibly the antibiotics are some way off working on that, if they are going to. I'm not sure if a urine sample taken during antibiotic treatment gives a proper picture of what's going on? Anyhow he's purring away but right now he's going round and round the leg of the chair, which he's not done since last Friday so I am worried. He's finding the futon and turning right just before stepping on to it instead of going straight on. Please let it be temporary.....

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #1337 on: November 19, 2008, 16:23:12 PM »
Im glad Swampy had a better night - if you want an email to the insurance company I would be more than willing!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1336 on: November 19, 2008, 15:10:48 PM »
Fantastic Swampy you did so well.  You know what Kate if your insurance company are iffy about the home visits we could ALL email them in support of you
Hope the rest of your day went well. :hug:

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1335 on: November 19, 2008, 11:22:15 AM »
Sounds like you had quite a good night then I'm so glad, I have to get up and come straight on here to see how you are doing!  Just had a thought it might not be a good one though as I know Swampy is a fussy eater and there are foods he shouldn't eat but how about some rice and chicken for him to eat might help his tum?  I don't know if this is too high in protein for him as I'm not good with whats in food lol!  Glad the sun is out for you (it's not here it looks like rain) and Swampy had a game with you it must have cheered you up and bought a smile to your face  :hug:  I would say you are cleaning the pillpopper right I don't have one to advise but I would do the same just dip it in boiling or very hot water to kill the germs  ;D I can't believe they won't help with the home visits like you say he does need them they are unbelievable  :censored:  Well Ive got everything crossed for you (as normal) to have a great day with Swampy and hope things are not too bad for you while OH is away  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1334 on: November 19, 2008, 11:04:42 AM »
let's hope for a good, non run tum, non circly day if possible

Very definitely Kate.   :hug:

Link to CatChat