Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404769 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #1333 on: November 19, 2008, 10:49:20 AM »
not too bad a night thanks as he got up as usual at 1 but settled down after 4 - and could find stuff himself. However he had a bit of a runny tum again and found a few dry bics of Max's which he deposited on the carpet so I had to get up a few times.  I just gave him a little i/d afterwards and the nurse thinks that's ok as a one off. Apparently the anti diarrhoea meds are very strong (diarsanyl) and may block him up instead.

He knows the sun is out! He got up and walked down the passage and we had one of our old favourite little games on my knee in the sun for a few secs (mum v v happy). And the pillpopper works a treat on foul tasting, foam inducing steroids. However I just ran it under a hot tap afterwards as can't see how to clean it properly - it's a zooty green and clear one made by Kruuse I think (can't see straight). Do you think that's ok?

I had to order more fortekor and the vet now has a prescription charge of £6.50 so almost all the online savings would be eaten up, so I'm getting it direct from him this time. Apparently that's a new UK vet association reg?! I wouldn't mind as the vet gives me a lot of great phone attention and help, but I have to pay 35% of every claim as Swampy's a "senior" cat. I'm still fighting with the insurance co on the home visits - they agreed to pay for one, but seem to think further ones aren't covered  :censored: to them despite the vet saying it would be life threatening to put Swampy in a car.

Enjoy the sun and let's hope for a good, non run tum, non circly day if possible and lots of love from here xx  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1332 on: November 19, 2008, 07:55:48 AM »
Just topping up the Swampy cuddles.   :hug: :hug:  And adding a sleepy but heartfelt PPPprrrffppTT from Paddy.   :)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1331 on: November 19, 2008, 07:06:22 AM »
Hope it was a good night and today will be good for Swampy and Max and you :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1330 on: November 18, 2008, 21:48:18 PM »
Night night Swampy camp,sweet dreams and lots of zzzzzs  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1329 on: November 18, 2008, 13:51:27 PM »
Sorry you didn't have a good night but he does have some spirit doesn't he, looking for food to pinch.  Hope you can get things sorted, I don't think it matters how many pills a day he has to take so long as they are helping him have the best life possible.   :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1328 on: November 18, 2008, 12:48:30 PM »
thanks Desley! He had his liver tested the last time he had bloods which was 1 day before he had another brain episode (early october) and started circling, but his ALT was up a little so I am going to restart Zentonil, despite the poor wee lad being like a rattling pill box.  the antibiotics should help that and I'm not sure about the steroids but when he had cholangiohep he was on steroids and antibiotics as well as liver pills. I know the vet said that if he makes it another couple of weeks we will have to rethink doing bloods if possible. Swampy did NOT co-operate last time, so they only got enough out of his leg for kidneys and liver, not the white count etc. Getting blood out of him has always been hard and now it's impossible out of his neck vein. thanks, will mention it next time I speak to him this week as the fortekor goes through the liver too doesn't it.

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1327 on: November 18, 2008, 12:33:35 PM »
So sorry you had a bad night at least you were expecting it after he slept all day yesterday ( not that it helps much )!!  Have just read the article Desley and it has some great info in it definitly worth a chat with the vet.  Best wishes for the day ahead loads of  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

PLEASE GIVE A BLACK CAT A CHANCE LOTS ARE LEFT IN RESCUE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR COLOUR.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #1326 on: November 18, 2008, 12:01:47 PM »
Just found this while trying to find some info on liver issues and thought of Swampy - when did he last have liver tests done?

8. Hepatic encephalopathy, or severe neurological signs. behavioural changes, seizures, aimless pacing or circling, head pressing. May be associated with meal time.

Here is the full website

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/liverdisease.htm

ETA - I had a memory lapse when I posted this, and forgot Swampy's history of liver issues!!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 12:38:23 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1325 on: November 18, 2008, 12:00:14 PM »
Mr Swamp was up and pacing from 1am until he settled at 7.30 this morning. He woke me after an hour's sleep by walking up the stairs in the lounge and getting stuck in the mezzanine (rescue time); then wanted to eat (twice); knocked over the water bowl....oof. Lovely that he can find things, but he is so awake all night. He is now fast asleep - I so wish I could sleep during the day but no matter how tired I am, I can't fall asleep but can only rest. Max was yelling in the night too as I didn't leave out his dry food in case Swampy ate it (that's why Swamps went up the stairs: looking for a secret stash of dry nosh).

I had a long chat to the vet who said the prognosis now depends on how long he can tolerate the high dose steroids as he thinks he's addicted to them now and is not making them (whatever they make) for himself any longer and also we don't know why he has blood in the urine. He thinks Swamps must have been immune to convenia antibiotic as has had it quite often before - otherwise he doesn't understand how this one (synulox by another name) works. I told him it had to be the antibiotic as Swampy started walking straighter 24 hours after taking it.

xx  :hug:  :hug: to everyone.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1324 on: November 17, 2008, 19:53:13 PM »
Swampy has the most wonderful nurse he could hope for in you Kate.  Hope you all have a quiet night  :hug:

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1323 on: November 17, 2008, 19:15:51 PM »
Aww I can just imagine his little face covered in yogurt how cute!!  Not the nicest of jobs massaging the urinary area but if it helps its all good and I'm sure you don't mind if its doing good  :hug:  Lets hope there isn't much circling tonight  :hug:

PLEASE GIVE A BLACK CAT A CHANCE LOTS ARE LEFT IN RESCUE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR COLOUR.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1322 on: November 17, 2008, 18:13:50 PM »
he loves yoghurt. When he was a baby he once got his little head stuck in a yoghurt pot and once he got it off with his paw, his whole face was covered in yoghurt. Yes I know he'll be up all night; just hope he isn't circling so much that he can't find where he wants to go.
I just posted on the other thread on here, that I have to gently massage the 'urinary area' to help prevent blockages. blimey. Seriously the vet is concerned (and I am neurotic) that he will block up.

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1321 on: November 17, 2008, 17:59:06 PM »
You will have to keep us posted on how he is with the 36 hour steroids it may just be the answer  :luck:   Glad he has been asleep today but as you say bet he will be awake later now - you just can't win!!   I can't believe he will eat yoghurt he is such a sweetheart mine would think I'm mad if I tried to give it to them.  Fingers crossed for a good night ahead  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1320 on: November 17, 2008, 17:47:34 PM »
thanks  :hug:  He's going to have steroids every 36 hours approx so not going to be poss just in the evenings (oh well) and at least 2 weeks of antibiotics I think. Apparently there's no point giving him a probiotic while he's still taking antibiotics so will just stick to yoghurt and hope his tum holds steady.
He's spent all day asleep so think it could be a walky, wakey night! I just hope he's not circling too badly (a bit of circling today to the left) so he can at least find his tray and water, then I can hear him but not have to get up all the time.
xx

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1319 on: November 17, 2008, 17:30:32 PM »
Glad you had a good night with him and got some well needed sleep!!  It must feel like a massive puzzle to solve at the minute  :hug:  Wishing you luck for the evening  :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #1318 on: November 17, 2008, 15:47:36 PM »
Awwww bless lil swamps  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1317 on: November 17, 2008, 12:43:58 PM »
Bless that little cat he tries so hard I love him to pieces  :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #1316 on: November 17, 2008, 12:14:17 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: for you and Swampy

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1315 on: November 17, 2008, 12:11:35 PM »
I'm waiting for the vet to call about the probiotics, but Swampy had a good night - he even went up 8 stairs to Max's "hidden" dry food at 3am (not allowed it!) and found everything. But he peed little and often and this morning is circling a bit again and a bit zonked out. I've been reading about bacterial infections (like toxo and others) and vestibular symptoms and how the worst thing is to stop the antibiotics too soon - some cats take them for 6 - 8 weeks, so I need to find out if we are in the same or possibly similar thing here or not. Anyhow I don't think the kidney problem has cleared up yet. I so hope he stops circling again as without it he's so much better (even his head was still yesterday which was wonderful for him) and I can get a bit of sleep as don't have to get up all the time.
With the steroids at lunchtime yesterday he did a mega plop at 3 (sorry!) and a couple of hours after that he started to eat a little again. By midnight he was hungry again. So also need to try to work out how much of not eating is down to the break in steroids (41 hours between doses last time) and how much because his tum's not right on the antibios.

He's slept all morning which he hasn't been doing lately - no visits down the passage to the bed today as yet. I picked him up and took him to the tray to wee as he couldn't be bothered, too tired. lots of lovely burmese purrs to all  :hug: xx thanks for listening yet again to the "Swamp-update"  :blow kiss:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #1314 on: November 16, 2008, 23:58:18 PM »
For Swampy  :hug: :hug:
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1313 on: November 16, 2008, 22:38:39 PM »
I have been away since Friday and just got back, no internet access and have been wondering all the time how  Swampy has been doing.  He seems to have had some good times with jumping on the bed and playing with Max, wouldn't be doing that if he didn't feel good.  Hope he manages to get some food inside him and hope you have a peaceful night.  :hug:

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1312 on: November 16, 2008, 14:28:02 PM »
I'm sure they will try not to worry (i know its hard), maybe he will feel like eating later on tonight  :hug:  I hope things stay calmish for you while OH is away you have allways got us lot to take it out on if not lol!  I know this may sound horrible but how is he with you putting things in his mouth?  As if he is OK you could try him with a syringe with some water in just to get some fluids in once a day.  At least then you would know that he has some water my cats wouldn't let me but it may be worth a go if you think he is not getting enough fluids.  Wishing you a good afternoon with him and hope the steroids kick in soon a massive  :hug: for you. 

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1311 on: November 16, 2008, 13:13:36 PM »
just threw in the towel and gave steroids as he refused to eat any more than a lick of food. His liver's not great and he needs moisture so I pray and hope that the steroids help him to eat later today.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1310 on: November 16, 2008, 12:39:08 PM »
Yes I keep a Swamp diary! I had some sleep as OH did last night, but he's now away until next weekend so I'm hoping for the best. I think I'll try Swampy at about 2 with a meal and if he doesn't eat, I'm going to give him his steroids then and not wait 48 hours for 6.30pm as they do take a while to work. I don't know if he's refusing to eat because of the antibiotics making him feel yuk but the steroids I suppose will improve his appetite. I really hope so as he's a funny cat - he won't eat chicken or ham etc, just cat food and prefers wet k/d and turkey pate, so if he's off those, he's off it all. The a/d and i/d foods are too high in protein for his kidney infection too. He's had a teaspoon yoghurt (even didn't really want it but did lick it) and I hope to get him a probiotic tomorrow or tuesday.
 :thanks: for caring and big hugs xx I'm going to be mental all week with just me here with him (you have been warned).

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1309 on: November 16, 2008, 10:48:33 AM »
Glad you had a better night - hope you managed to get some sleep!!  Sounds like his circling is better at the moment which is good I suppose the hard bit is trying to figure out what is helping and what is not.  This is probably a silly idea but could you keep a Swapmy diary of each day and put what you have given him in it and how he has been acting for each day/night?  I did this for my migraines and it helped me lol!  Fingers crossed that he starts eating later on Ive had this problem with Maude this week as she was coughing she went two days with no food I was ready for taking her to the vets.  I managed to get her to eat some ham but that was all she would eat ( she coughed up some grass lastnight and is now OK) so I know how worrying it is!   :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1308 on: November 16, 2008, 10:12:33 AM »
I decided to try to wait til this evening to give his steroids  - 48 hours, if possible. That way I can see whether the whole of the improvement in his circling is due to the antibiotics (maybe). He had a quiet night and reached the tray and water. But today he won't eat - I've only got him to lick at a couple of teaspoons of pate or k/d, so the steroids must at least be propping up his appetite. He's also doing these mini-wees still but he did drink. As he gets most of his water from his food, I have to try to get him to eat later on. Right now he's wandering around the room, doesn't seem unhappy but I don't know how long I can leave him without proper food. The steroids once given should start to work on his appetite in 12 hours I think. Nothing seems too clear right now.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #1307 on: November 15, 2008, 18:53:40 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1306 on: November 15, 2008, 17:14:20 PM »
Am glad to hear Swampy is calmer, and seems to be feeling better in himself.  I hope this continues and grows from strength to strength, Kate.   :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1305 on: November 15, 2008, 12:48:17 PM »
the vet didn't have time to call me back - does anyone know of a CRF safe probiotic that I could get at the chemist? Just in case he still won't eat much or has runny tum again.

Yes he drinks but not much and I suppose he gets most of his water from his wet food. I don't want to wake him but will see if can get him to drink when he does wake up. My main worry is the teeny pees - the vet told me as the pills work the peeing should get less frequent so it's the quantity.

I *may* chance my arm (deep breaths) and skip his steroids tonight and see if he can go 48 hours between doses.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #1304 on: November 15, 2008, 12:11:31 PM »
Glad Max is showing sighns of improvement - long may it continue! :hug:

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1303 on: November 15, 2008, 11:13:58 AM »
 ;D  That sounds like good news.  I'm so glad you had a better night.  He seems to be getting slightly better each day and max is obviously helping him along with you and your OH's hard work!  Lets hope he sorts out his weeing now, does he drink enough water?  Ive got everything crossed that you have a good day today as I know it is one day at a time but it has bought a smile to my face this morning knowing that he is slightly better today and you are happier  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1302 on: November 15, 2008, 10:25:50 AM »
OH spent the night with him and says it was quieter. Swampy got up at 3 but was calm. He's not eating too well and his wees are a dribble which of course worries neurotic me - but he's not circling and to my joy and amazement he managed to follow Max to the bedroom and jumped up on to the bed! I can't quite believe it. Just makes me wonder how long he possibly should have been on these antibiotics for as they seem to have helped - early days, I know, one day at a time, even one hour at a time, but small moments like this make it all worthwhile. xx  :hug:  :hug:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #1301 on: November 15, 2008, 10:23:35 AM »
Just wanted to give swampy a hug    :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #1300 on: November 14, 2008, 23:52:49 PM »
I think the runs are from a mix of antibiotic and steroid this evening. He also ate very well at 6.30. He's not been circling either, so as one thing improves for a while, another takes its place!

Antibiotics can lead to digestive upsets/runs, so I would guess its probably that, hopefully a temporary thing! I wouldnt introduce any different food though, I would stick with what he's been eating. Glad he's not circling,  hoping you have a quiet night with him.  :hug:

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #1299 on: November 14, 2008, 23:42:45 PM »
*hugs* fpr Swamp cat. Sweet dreams!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #1298 on: November 14, 2008, 23:39:45 PM »
Goodnight Swampy ....big kisses xxx

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1297 on: November 14, 2008, 23:38:10 PM »
At least the circling and eating is a little better so its not all bad thats good to hear.  At the rescue I volunteer at we give th I.D to cats with runny tums so id give that a try it does work on most but I'm not sure about the other two!  Fingers crossed you all have a peaceful night  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1296 on: November 14, 2008, 23:31:17 PM »
Swampy has a runny tum tonight. Because of his kidney infection, he's only allowed low protein food so I've been giving him mostly wet Hills k/d minced chicken cans and some Hills senior turkey pate. They are both (I think) quite high in fibre as senior foods mostly are. I have a few cans of Hills i/d under the bed, but think that they are high in protein. Hills have gone and removed all the nutritional info from their website. Not feeding him anything overnight is going to be problematic as he has zero stress tolerance now for not getting what he wants and if he doesn't get food until tomorrow he'll pace and circle all night.

Anyone know which of the above foods (I know to give small amounts) he should have to help his tum? I'm going to top up with more kaminox which has some iron in it. I think the runs are from a mix of antibiotic and steroid this evening. He also ate very well at 6.30. He's not been circling either, so as one thing improves for a while, another takes its place!

xx  :hug: everyone. thanks.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #1295 on: November 14, 2008, 16:10:20 PM »
More vibes for you all in case I don't get on at the weekend  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1294 on: November 14, 2008, 15:47:30 PM »
Sounds like he is having a good day today  ;D  I hope he has a good night tonight and gets some rest.  It must be so hard with all the medication trying to find the right combination  :hug:

Link to CatChat