Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404770 times)

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #1253 on: November 10, 2008, 14:16:20 PM »
*hugs* for Swampy

I hope he's feeling better.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #1252 on: November 10, 2008, 13:20:12 PM »
Sorry you had such a bad night - heres hoping his meds stabalize soon. :hug:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #1251 on: November 10, 2008, 13:13:38 PM »
So sorry that you all had such a bad night - fingers crossed that the increased meds kick in soon to calm the lovely Swampy.  :hug:

Still sending love, huggles and positive vibes xxx

The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #1250 on: November 10, 2008, 13:01:15 PM »
Just sending some  :hug: :hug: for you all from me and the boys. Hope the increased dose settles him down again, as Maddiesmum says you had to try or you wouldn't know. I think you are amazing and Swampy is very lucky to have you  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1249 on: November 10, 2008, 09:44:42 AM »
Kate you had to try to  lower the dose otherwise you would  never know what maintenance dose works.  Hope the meds kick in and both boys have some sleep.  You too  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #1248 on: November 10, 2008, 09:36:12 AM »
We had a bad night so I rang the vets first up. The nurse asked him - I must increase the dose to 1 1/2 again (which I've done: gave him his pills at 3.30am as he was so manic and circling) and keep it at that for a couple of days as it takes that long to take effect, if it is going to. No idea why saturday was so good, but deteriorating 2 days after a drop in dose means that the drop can't be tolerated. I can't really get him to sleep as yet and he is crying a bit sometimes, but he's a tad calmer than during the night and I hope by lunchtime he'll be starting to feel a bit better. As saturday was such a good day when he walked straight and felt so well, we think we should give him the chance to stabilise. Poor boy missed the tray in the night for a poo - I woke up at 1.45am (after 1 hour's sleep) to find he'd done it next to the tray - but at least found the tray for a wee. Max is so angry at having his sleep constantly disturbed last night as every time he tried to lie down next to me, I had to get up. I really really hope that later today Swampy will be calmer and wish I'd not lowered the dose in the first place - I didn't really feel it would work.
thanks for all the lovely wishes for my little one  :hug: xx

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #1247 on: November 10, 2008, 09:20:47 AM »
Just popping by to top up some more  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #1246 on: November 10, 2008, 08:40:20 AM »
More vibes from us  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1245 on: November 10, 2008, 07:56:45 AM »
Very much hope you all had a good night and the best day possible today  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1244 on: November 10, 2008, 07:28:18 AM »
Morning to you both, Kate and Swampy.  Hoping you've managed to have a restful night.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #1243 on: November 09, 2008, 23:51:50 PM »
Just topping up good vibes and strength for you all  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #1242 on: November 09, 2008, 23:28:42 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: and healing vibes for the gorgeous Swampy - hope you all have a peaceful and restful night .

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #1241 on: November 09, 2008, 23:22:16 PM »
sleep well swampy  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #1240 on: November 09, 2008, 22:51:19 PM »
Hope you and Swampy manage to get some peaceful sleep.  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1239 on: November 09, 2008, 19:47:32 PM »
Many prayers and many vibes for sweet Swampy boy.  Hope upping the steroid again helps.  Come on Swampy baby we all love you loads.  Hope you all have a good night  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1238 on: November 09, 2008, 19:24:29 PM »
he's had a bit of sleep and has eaten quite well, but as soon as he leaves the igloo it's a real battle with dizziness and stumbling for him. He's pulling very hard to the left. I wish I could speak to a neurologist to ask what it could be that pulls in both directions at different times and also gives some better or even good days as well. I do know that the only treatment for central vestibular disease is steroids, so it does make sense I think to up the dose to 1 1/2 again tomorrow morning. He's getting out of the igloo now so think he may want the tray. Think it will be a long night. Please send prayers and vibes for Swampy that he can recover a bit  :hug: xx :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1237 on: November 09, 2008, 14:42:15 PM »
Think for now the higher dose seems more effective but could you maybe try one and a quarter rather than one and a half see how that goes?  You have to do what works best that's all we all know!  However obviously the lower the maintenance dose the better so you just have to try and find what that is - hope the day goes well  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1236 on: November 09, 2008, 12:59:21 PM »
Really hard to know, hun  :hug:  I think I would probably stick with the higher dosage of steroids -  maybe today is a delayed reaction to missing fridays and then only having one yesterday

that's sort of what I'm thinking too. His vestibular disease just suddenly got worse and he's circling in the opposite direction now - which is very odd. I think the question for the vet (inasmuch as he will know or can know) is how soon would a dose reduction have a bad effect? thanks for helping me focus on the question, brain is pretty tired.

Yes if Swampy doesn't improve or stabilise in the next couple of days, I am definitely going up in dose again. If that doesn't work so be it. I just have to feel that I have done everything possible. Oops the patient is up so must go and see what he wants  :hug:  he wanted tray to pee - but is so dizzy it's horrible. I have to try to stabilise him again, this is just like last sat/sunday.

this isn't meant to come out in the quote - sorry. not sure what happened.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 13:21:23 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #1235 on: November 09, 2008, 12:15:22 PM »
Really don't know what to suggest but wanted to send a healing  :hug:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #1234 on: November 09, 2008, 11:59:32 AM »
Really hard to know, hun  :hug:  I think I would probably stick with the higher dosage of steroids -  maybe today is a delayed reaction to missing fridays and then only having one yesterday?

I'm afraid I don't really have much advice as I've never nursed a sick cat in this way.  It seems to be swings and roundabouts as to what gives him a good day and what results in a bad day  :hug:  It must be so hard for you seeing him in a bad way one day and then much improved the next, and of course that makes it difficult for you to know when to say enough is enough.  I hope you both have a restful day today  :hug:   

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1233 on: November 09, 2008, 11:45:06 AM »
Swampy walked straight yesterday and apart from needing help with the loo, he was ok. However overnight he became worse again and this time he's circling to the left and stumbling. It's so hard to know what steroids to give him - if they are helping or not - and we sense that the vet is guessing as vets don't do an awful lot of palliative care as people often give up and go the pts route because they aren't in a position to do 24/7 nursing.

What do you think? thurs he had 1 1/2 steroids and was reasonably ok/stable; friday he spat his steroid (1) so I didn't give him one; yesterday morning he had 1 steroid and was good all day; the idea was not to give him a steroid today but after seeing how he is today, I gave him 1.

I don't know if I should be just sticking to 1 1/2 every day or 1 1/2 every other day as each day seems different as soon as the dose is changed at all - and without any on friday he was good yesterday so I am totally baffled. I do think that NO steroid at all would mean trouble; and the vet did say that cutting the dose can take 1 -2 days to show an effect.

I'm just staying with him today. At least Max has at last got into the igloo with him, which is calming. Swampy is eating btw, just was agitated overnight and seemed to cope worse with leaning left than right - could be because it's worse, or because it's a change from the right hand circling he's been doing so long now. 

Btw the steroids take quite a few hours to work so if you give one in the morning, it wont' or shouldn't take effect until some hours later - about 7 or 8 I think (not sure).

Last saturday was the same -he was good and then deteriorated at 2am. Neuro things are weird. We don't want to give up on him as so recently had the same thing and so recently (yesterday) had such a good day. The vet just told me to play around with the dose according to how he is, but of course we don't know if the pills are helping or not.

Sorry to be a bit incoherent but have been up with him most of the night. He did remember to yell loudly when he wanted to poo. But all day yesterday (I didn't post as was so superstitious) he walked in straight lines and found everything.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 11:46:36 AM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1232 on: November 08, 2008, 21:18:21 PM »
Goodnight wishes to the Swampy family sleep well  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1231 on: November 08, 2008, 18:22:59 PM »
Topping up the vibes for you and Swampy.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1230 on: November 08, 2008, 12:24:41 PM »
Glad you all had a quiet night come on Swamps getting peeing for your mum.  Hope the day is goo  :hug:

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1229 on: November 08, 2008, 11:50:16 AM »
 :hug: For you all come on Swampy go to the loo xxx

PLEASE GIVE A BLACK CAT A CHANCE LOTS ARE LEFT IN RESCUE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR COLOUR.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1228 on: November 08, 2008, 11:30:09 AM »
I'm going to try to get one on monday for sure, especially if it that syringe type. It's too important that early in the morning he does swallow his pills. His night wasn't too bad but he is still not peeing much and having to be coaxed to go - about every 6 or 7 hours, when it was every 3 - 4 just a few days ago. I just hope that it's all right as am stressing about it. Cortisone generally should make him pee more often, not less and the reduced peeing started before I'd cut his dose at all.
here's hoping for the best xx  :hug:  to everyone.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #1227 on: November 08, 2008, 09:20:24 AM »
I have one of those pill pushers which I use for Mogs 1/4 istin tablet. I find it quite easy to use and Mogs obviously doesnt mid too much as she jumps on the arm of the chair for me.
I hope Swampys better today
love
Tab

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #1226 on: November 07, 2008, 22:32:24 PM »
thanks for the pillpopper pic - that's very helpful. Would it take a minute pill? ie a 1/4 vivitonin is really teeny.

I have used it with teeny pills, you can find that they drop down from the gripper bit, but they will still be pushed out by the plunger, so it still works ok.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1225 on: November 07, 2008, 19:32:55 PM »
for Swampy and his pal :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1224 on: November 07, 2008, 18:56:26 PM »
If he can manage on the reduced dose then that will be much better.  Fingers cross Hope you all have a stress free night

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #1223 on: November 07, 2008, 18:01:56 PM »
Sending lots more hugs for you and Swampy  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1222 on: November 07, 2008, 17:03:31 PM »
just heard from the vet. We must try to give Swampy steroids only tomorrow again and see how he goes. In a couple of days, we should know if he tolerates alternate days or not. I'm a bit concerned as to what tonight may be like with no meds. Anyhow the goal is to see if he can go even 36 hours rather than topping up every 24, so no bad thing that he spat today's dose.  He sort of sat up after 4 hours lying down so I led him to the tray and he did wee. Vet not sure why that would have changed either. Just got to keep my littly happy.  :hug: xx to everyone.

thanks for the pillpopper pic - that's very helpful. Would it take a minute pill? ie a 1/4 vivitonin is really teeny.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #1221 on: November 07, 2008, 16:59:07 PM »
PS found steroid gobbed out on to the carpet! He must have pouched it this morning. I'll give him 1/2 pill tonight. Do you know if those pillpoppers work nicely?

I use pill poppers for those I know won't have pills in food. Some pill poppers are better than others. The ones I get from my vets have a rubber bit for gripping the pill and a straightforward plunger, rather than some I've seen that have plastic gripper and sort of scissor bits to hold while pushing the plunger.

This is the one

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #1220 on: November 07, 2008, 15:51:51 PM »
Still sending positive vibes for the gorgeous Swampy xxx  :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1219 on: November 07, 2008, 14:15:54 PM »
Naughty boy!  It's probably the Fortekor and let's hope so.  Any news from the vet?

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1218 on: November 07, 2008, 11:57:34 AM »
thanks. Hope so too. I'm worried as he's only weeing every 5 or 6 hours now, not every 3 or so. It's suddenly changed. I have to persuade him to go too mostly,take him there and put his front paws in.
He last went at 7.30am. I don't know if this means his system is shutting down or maybe the fortekor's working better (thinking positive) as the steroids are meant to make him go a bit more.
I'm very tired today, it's not so easy. thanks for your support xx

PS found steroid gobbed out on to the carpet! He must have pouched it this morning. I'll give him 1/2 pill tonight. Do you know if those pillpoppers work nicely? A lot of what he takes is small (steroids and vivitonin) and quite able to be pouched and spat later on.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 12:48:25 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #1217 on: November 07, 2008, 10:41:57 AM »
thinking of you Kate, hope his appetite picks up :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1216 on: November 07, 2008, 10:35:57 AM »
he did go this morning and after that he did eat a little, but not nearly as much as normal. Think lactulose will be added to the list tonight (I want him to go during the day if poss!). Have emailed the vet to say please can we talk. The boys are now asleep in their igloo, bless them. xx  :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #1215 on: November 07, 2008, 10:21:11 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1214 on: November 07, 2008, 10:15:17 AM »
If he is constipated he wont want to eat.  Hope he can get it shifted soon.  Try something oily or some Katalax.    Keep us updated and hope you get some sleep, all of you x

Link to CatChat