Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404822 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #1173 on: November 03, 2008, 12:20:20 PM »
hello, Swampy is in the igloo with Max and is asleep. I was a bit overcooked yesterday so OH bless him spent the night in here last night so I could get a few hours rest. He says Swampy woke up with a vengeance at 3am again despite the valerian but at least had a miaow to alert his dad he needed some help reaching the tray, but then the usual circling until after his breakfast at around 6. Some of it is he wants food, but he tends to vomit any wet food I've left down. I suppose it's gone a bit yuk during the night (only 4 hours but still....).  I came through at 5 for his meds and he's had a bit to eat today and slept a lot which is good.
We're not under any illusions as when he's resting, we have to clock watch ie could he need the tray now - as he won't move unless it's terribly urgent. If he finds anything it's the water as he can use the lounge shut door to navigate. The trays seem harder to find and recognise.  But he sat on my lap after his fortekor, had  a mega purr and a 'snog' with Max when back in the igloo. I just have Paddysmum's wise mantra in my head One Day At A Time. And enjoy the happy little moments.

I've scrapped the Sea Legs, don't think it worked, but am going to give him the valerian again tonight in case that helped him be calmer as OH says he slept until 3am. I'm reluctant to give him lactulose as with his difficulty finding the tray I'm so worried about diarrhoea or multiple visits (he is going once properly) but I don't know if anyone can think of a way to move that poo need from 2 or 3am to earlier in the evening as then it might help him rest better in the night?
lots of love from us all xx  :hug:  :hug: & thanks again for caring about the Swampcat.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #1172 on: November 03, 2008, 11:34:29 AM »
Love to Swampy  :hug:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #1171 on: November 03, 2008, 09:39:03 AM »
MEGA hugs to Swampy  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: xxxxxxxxxxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #1170 on: November 03, 2008, 09:19:14 AM »
Topping up with some more  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #1169 on: November 03, 2008, 09:16:56 AM »
More vibes from us  :hug: :hug:

How are you all today?

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1168 on: November 03, 2008, 07:53:53 AM »
How's the wonderful Swamps today? And How are you too?  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1167 on: November 02, 2008, 20:25:29 PM »
Sounds like his little body clock has got out of sync?  Hope you all have a good night.  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1166 on: November 02, 2008, 18:49:24 PM »
many thanks, much needed. Having been so good yesterday when the vet came, today has been tricky. Lots of circling and too tired to move much so I've taken him where he needs to go. I think he's really tired after last night and this morning's circling and hyper alertness. He's now fast asleep and snoring so I suppose he may well wake up again during the night. thanks again for your thoughts, prayers and vibes from us all xx  :hug:  :hug:  I did get a nice purr earlier which raised the spirits a wee bit.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #1165 on: November 02, 2008, 17:52:00 PM »
Sending a :grouphug: for you both x

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1164 on: November 02, 2008, 17:28:22 PM »
 :wish: A wish star wishing you all a better night tonight x

PLEASE GIVE A BLACK CAT A CHANCE LOTS ARE LEFT IN RESCUE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR COLOUR.

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #1163 on: November 02, 2008, 17:16:44 PM »
*hugs*

x

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #1162 on: November 02, 2008, 10:19:14 AM »
Sorry to hear you had a rough night - hopefully the Valerian will help him,. :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1161 on: November 02, 2008, 09:58:57 AM »
We had a rough night from 2 - 6.30am after a decent day when he had lots of sleep. Swampy was up all that time, wouldn't settle. He managed to find the tray twice and missed it once, but was very 'circly' - I had to feed him at 4 as he seemed very hungry, and then gave him his vivitonin at 5 and steroids at 6 - just had fortekor now and a little more to eat and after a guided visit to the loo, he's in his igloo with Max. I am pretty knackered so am going to try to rest most of the day. Hopefully it will be a calm one and he will feel better by lunchtime onwards which is what happened yesterday. I was too tired in the night to find the valerian, but am going to look it out for tonight as nights appear to be the most difficult for him at the mo'.

lots love  :hug: xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1160 on: November 02, 2008, 07:02:27 AM »
Sunday morning wishes for a safe and calm day  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1159 on: November 02, 2008, 00:35:46 AM »
Hope Swampy has a good rest tonight  :hug:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #1158 on: November 02, 2008, 00:14:57 AM »
Just popping in to say goodnight to You and Swampy xxx
oh and Max xx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1157 on: November 01, 2008, 22:39:11 PM »
thanks  :hug:  Swampy's been asleep all afternoon and evening in the igloo with just a break for a meal and I took him to the tray (he seemed too sleepy to go).  Peaceful night to you too, hope no fireworks near you either xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1156 on: November 01, 2008, 20:08:45 PM »
Just want to wish you a quiet night.  Hope you all manage to get some zzzzz  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1155 on: November 01, 2008, 15:29:05 PM »
Well that sounds to me like good news for now.  WTG Swampy fella.  I, too, hope it pours down this weekend and next and that no one can ignite a firework.  I hate the thought of all the scared animals, strays and wildlife that will be terrified just so some idiots can enjoy letting off explosives but don't get me going on that one.  I am glad that Swampy is doing as well as he can right now and long may it continue.  Well done to you Kate and OH and Max for giving him the love and care that he so richly deserves when many others would have thrown in the towel.  When it is done you will be able to look back and say I did everything I could for Swampy and more  :hug:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 15:31:42 PM by Maddiesmum »

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #1154 on: November 01, 2008, 15:23:38 PM »
What a difficult time you are going through. I know that Swampy, however bad he is feeling knows that he is loved and that he has the best meowmy in the world who is doing her very best (and a bit more!) to give him a lovely end to what Im sure has been a really happy and love-filled life as a pampered puss.  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1153 on: November 01, 2008, 15:18:40 PM »
The vet came around for nearly an hour at lunchtime, which was magic of him. He thinks that Swampy is ok for the moment and we should keep doing what we are doing, on the current meds and wait and see. He said that Swampy's suffering isn't at a stage quite yet where we can be sure, as there are clearly still moments of good, responsive behaviour (Swampy purred when I picked him up; he licked Max's ears and he wanted to eat while the vet was here). Once those go, we will be more sure. He also asked if I could cope & said that many people could not devote the nursing time as they are working - but the test is when it is done, do we look back and say we did the right thing by Swampy, or do we have regrets. He says we are between the stage of definite pts and not pts and as it's a brain problem, no-one knows if Swampy will deteriorate and how fast or maybe stabilise for a bit. As his brain's old, and he already had some dementia signs, he's not going to get dramatically better though obviously.

It must be said that little Swamp was better than he's been for some time while he was here as the vivitonin and steroids are probably peaking, he even found the tray! But his eyes are still going from side to side with the central vestibular disease which is what's making him circle and he said that we would probably know for sure, even though he's on steroids and vivitonin as Swampy would stop wanting to eat or Max would avoid him or attack him (as happened during the week), he would not be able to rest and he may forget how to use the tray or even that he needs to go, or he would circle without stopping.

I burst into tears and went to buy food and left my wallet at home!  Anyhow he said that our doubts are correct right now, but warned us that neuro changes can be quick etc (which we do know). So on we go. Bless you all for listening!

Oh he said that I must try valerian at night (for Swampy) in case it helps me get a few hours rest. Old sheep that I am, I am hoping the rain drowns out the fireworks this weekend.   :hug:  :hug: xx

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1152 on: November 01, 2008, 14:40:07 PM »
Just stopping by with a hug and hoping the vet visit helps to answer your questions about Swampy's care.   :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1151 on: November 01, 2008, 13:28:20 PM »
Hope Swampy and the rest of you had a good night.  Let us know when you have spoken to the vet  :hug:

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1150 on: November 01, 2008, 13:21:44 PM »
Dont make any decision until your questions have been answered by the vet,we here can always give advice/opinions but your the one whos been with Swampy through all this and only you know whats best for him,please give him a gentle head rub from all us over here and we are still sending healing vibes and big :hug: to you,your OH and also a headrub for Max :hug:

You have all been so amazing through all this,much braver than I would be,I'd be a complete mess  :hug:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1149 on: November 01, 2008, 13:03:20 PM »
Hope you all feel a little better when the vet has been  :hug:

PLEASE GIVE A BLACK CAT A CHANCE LOTS ARE LEFT IN RESCUE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR COLOUR.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1148 on: November 01, 2008, 06:02:30 AM »
Morning Swampy and family.  Hope today dawans bright and sunny for you and the vet can answer all your questions.  :hug: for a happy day

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1147 on: November 01, 2008, 01:39:17 AM »
Sleeep well Swampy  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #1146 on: November 01, 2008, 01:26:51 AM »
Big kisses and lots of  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: to Swapy , hope you all have a restful night and we are sending healing vibes for the week-end for Swampy .
Take care , and  :hug: :hug: to all of you.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #1145 on: October 31, 2008, 22:52:25 PM »
Big kisses for Swampy, Hope he gets some sleep XX

Night Kate, Thinking of You hunny xx

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #1144 on: October 31, 2008, 20:20:15 PM »
Hope you all have a good night and manage to get some sleep  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1143 on: October 31, 2008, 19:38:10 PM »
I hope you all have a peaceful and serene night with some good quality sleep.  Hope Swampy has some sun tomorrow and hope the vet can tell you something to ease your mind.  My thoughts are with you all  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1142 on: October 31, 2008, 18:23:50 PM »
Hope all goes well and you get all the answers you need  :hug:

Love to Swampy  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1141 on: October 31, 2008, 18:11:35 PM »
The vet's coming tomorrow late morning to have a look at Swampy and answer all our questions.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1140 on: October 31, 2008, 14:00:37 PM »
my heart truly goes out to you Kate - you have been quite amazing through all of this

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1139 on: October 31, 2008, 13:58:39 PM »
I think it is for Kate and her OH to make the decision and not for us to cajole her one way or the other.  She has done a magnificent job of nursing her boy and if she thinks he still has some quality of life (albeit bound to be limited with his disabilities) then we should not be telling her to "do the right thing".  What we should offer her is the wonderful support we have so far given whatever decision is made.  It is a very very difficult decision to make and Kate has to be sure, in view of the comments the vet has said.  

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1138 on: October 31, 2008, 13:57:07 PM »
I'm not afraid of pts as long as I am sure that there is no hope left and all he faces is suffering. Even as a child, I was there with my animals at the end to hold them and so they are as least frightened as possible.
I do not want to do anything I regret later. I am going to try to speak to the vet again, or maybe better still, get him to speak to my husband as OH is visibly distressed for the same reasons and wants the vet to explain it all to him, not just to me and I relay the info.
I am grateful that it seems we'll have the weekend with Swampy.  Swampy just won't sleep though (steroids? breathing a bit too shallow, not relaxed) today. He last slept yesterday evening. I rang the vet but got the nurse's message on the pills - so have to chase that too. I know the vet wants me to continue with the vivitonin as has a theory that you do need at least 2 weeks on a new treatment before you can throw in the towel and say there's no chance of it working and it's only 2 weeks tomorrow since he started them.

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #1137 on: October 31, 2008, 13:41:27 PM »
One more thing I will say, it is something I always stick to with my cats, as I wasn't strong enough the first time and it meant she went alone, is that it is much better to lose a week with them than let them go a minute too long, and the fact is that his life his hard and there is very little chance of improvement. It is incredibly hard getting the timing right, but I would always prefer to have a bit less time with them, and them have some dignity left.

:hug:  Well said Des -

I would of died myself if Beau had of gone alone - I would of NEVER forgiven myself.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1136 on: October 31, 2008, 13:34:15 PM »
It's not so much dignity with me it's just that I couldn't bear to think they were in any pain or discomfort and it is hard to know as cats tolerate alot before they show it - although I suppose they are linked.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 13:37:38 PM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #1135 on: October 31, 2008, 13:27:13 PM »
One more thing I will say, it is something I always stick to with my cats, as I wasn't strong enough the first time and it meant she went alone, is that it is much better to lose a week with them than let them go a minute too long, and the fact is that his life his hard and there is very little chance of improvement. It is incredibly hard getting the timing right, but I would always prefer to have a bit less time with them, and them have some dignity left.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #1134 on: October 31, 2008, 12:04:41 PM »
To be honest Kate - I would have to let him go with dignaty -

I went through this with Beau when he had FIP - I could of hung on a few more days, but he could of been in pain -missed his tray which would of deverstaed him as he was a VERY clean lad. I had to make that decision, it was hard  but I KNOW it was right.

We all know how you are feeling and are feeling it with you - Be brave and do the right thing for your little man.
MEGA  :hug: :hug: to you both xxxxxxx

Link to CatChat