Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404845 times)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #893 on: October 19, 2008, 12:24:24 PM »
Topping up with some Sunday vibes for you guys xxxxx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #892 on: October 19, 2008, 11:48:02 AM »
Just topping up the Swampy vibes  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #891 on: October 19, 2008, 11:44:58 AM »
Just a thought. When do you give Swampy his Fortekor?

I have seen morning recommended on quite a few sites. Clapton has his in the evening. I don't know if there is a better time?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #890 on: October 19, 2008, 11:42:02 AM »
Very many thanks Mark.  The vet's not there until wednesday but I'm going to send him an update email anyhow to ask a different question and what I'll do is mention the possibilities. If he picks it up on his home paperwork days, he may have more time to think about what's appropriate. I did tell him that it seems the only UV solutions are single bulb lamps. Perhaps we can combine that with a headpad (if you can put heatpads on futons with duvets on them?!).

I am doing notes anyhow as a pattern has emerged in the last 3 days of Swampy being at his best early on in the morning - finding the food, tray and water and walking in (virtually) straight lines, only to get worse as the day goes on. He's also doing 3 poos a day, not one - with increased eating but not by THAT much.  I need to give the info on timing of meds to see if that's linked eg he has the brain med vivitonin at 4.30pm, the steroids at 7.30pm and the fortekor at 10am.  18 months ago he was taken off fortekor as it caused lethargy and diarrhoea. The steroids cause hunger. But maybe the steroid/vivitonin combo peaks in the early hours, or maybe the fortekor makes him feel worse. That last possibility isn't going to go down well with the vet who loves fortekor as it's helped (in his words) "all" his CRF cats except Swampy.
If he came off Fortekor, the vet's concerned that his rising CRF would cause more brain problems too.

Plus if no Fortekor, he has to go on to Istin at a small dose for his bp - and Istin caused his ALT to flare last time.

It may not be meds related but just that he does better in the mornings, but don't you think it's a bit odd?

This am he opened the door with his paw (OH had left it slightly ajar), wandered off down the passage having a good sniff and then came back and had a paw biff (ok 2 secs but still!!!!) with Max. Yesterday evening he had to be helped everywhere and was very distressed.
He's now nicking Max's dry food again (I just let him now). I hope it's not just 'a good morning' but if it is, we are all enjoying it  :hug:  :hug: to all Sorry for the long post, just wondered what you thought too.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #889 on: October 19, 2008, 10:20:08 AM »
Hope you all had a good night  :hug:

Looking at the SAD lamps, it seems most of them just have the energy saver tubes or bulbs in so they would still be fluorescent?

Some of them are LED which would be safer but you have to avoid looking directly into the light. It's really confusing. I am not an expert but I really think the vet is saying not to use fluorescent as they flicker but I'm sure the new energy saving ones don't, in which case, a full spectrum bulb in a regular light socket would be the most effective as it would be a weak but wide arc - also the cheapest (around £10 for a bulb). Some of the sites say the SAD panels are a rip off as all they are is a box with some of those inside.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #888 on: October 19, 2008, 08:25:54 AM »
Morning Kate, morning Swampy.  I hope you had a lovely night's sleep and that the day is bright for you both.  Topping up the healing vibes.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #887 on: October 19, 2008, 08:11:23 AM »
Morning Swampy and co, hope you had a wonderful night and have a lovely day today with no problems  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #886 on: October 19, 2008, 07:16:01 AM »
morning, hope Swampy has had a good night  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #885 on: October 18, 2008, 23:57:11 PM »
Popping in to send good night cuddles to Swampy  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #884 on: October 18, 2008, 23:52:11 PM »
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=SAD+light

Anything any good on here?

Night, Swampy, Kate, Max and OH. Hope you all get a good nights sleep.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #883 on: October 18, 2008, 23:24:49 PM »
Night night Swampy ......
Hope You get a good nights sleep too Kate  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #882 on: October 18, 2008, 23:11:08 PM »
thanks so much Mark for your help  :hug: . SAD lamp it will have to be - have you seen any that aren't a simple bulb though or are more like a panel (as I haven't)? Otherwise I'll have to find the one with the biggest arc of light.

blimey we just had poo no 3 of the day (not diarrhoea but still). Of course I worry as neuro horrors make cats poo an awful lot. But I hope I am wrong and the whole thing is down to the steroids. Swampy did a vaguely straight line tonight after a very long, happy looking snooze. We'll see won't we if he allows me a bit of a catnap tonight too. night night  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #881 on: October 18, 2008, 22:58:26 PM »
Hi Kate,

With regards to the "light" for swampy I'm not sure if they would be able to help but have you thought about contacting somewhere that does "hydroponic systems / lighting"  they may be able to suggest something.  Obviously you don't want a complete hydroponic system (unless of course you fancy setting up a cannabis factory in your lounge!) but I would imagine you can buy just 1 or 2 of the lights.

If you do a search for Grow lights it will bring up plenty of suppliers. 

This site seems to described every different kind of light.

http://www.goldenseed.co.uk/growroomlights.html

Not sure if this sort of thing would be any good "Wonderlite® Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor Plant Grow Light"  http://homeharvest.com/spotgrowlightbulbs.htm

I have been googling like mad. It seems the only ones that make the body produce vitamin D are the lightbulbs and strips that all seem to be fluorescent - or the mecrury ones but they seem to be the type that damage eyes, ie you need to wear goggles when using them (I remember them from the 70's). The Cannabis ones seem to be that kind. the only ones it seems that may help Swampy are SAD lamps. You could go for the lower power ones, maybe 2500lux - there are loads around - I really think they might be the right ones

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #880 on: October 18, 2008, 22:04:57 PM »
Hope you have peaceful night  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #879 on: October 18, 2008, 21:36:13 PM »
Hoping for a good night for you all  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #878 on: October 18, 2008, 21:25:31 PM »
wow, thank you. As it's quite technical, I think I will call them and see if they can suggest anything. All I've read (or understood, lol) is that at certain frequencies UV light gives off a bit of vitamin D. (knew I should have paid more attention at school!).
My little man has slept most of today and swallowed his steroids without a struggle which is all a bit unusual, but here's hoping for a good night. And to all of you too  :grouphug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #877 on: October 18, 2008, 20:02:32 PM »
Hi Kate,

With regards to the "light" for swampy I'm not sure if they would be able to help but have you thought about contacting somewhere that does "hydroponic systems / lighting"  they may be able to suggest something.  Obviously you don't want a complete hydroponic system (unless of course you fancy setting up a cannabis factory in your lounge!) but I would imagine you can buy just 1 or 2 of the lights.

If you do a search for Grow lights it will bring up plenty of suppliers. 

This site seems to described every different kind of light.

http://www.goldenseed.co.uk/growroomlights.html

Not sure if this sort of thing would be any good "Wonderlite® Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor Plant Grow Light"  http://homeharvest.com/spotgrowlightbulbs.htm
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 20:10:45 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #876 on: October 18, 2008, 19:40:44 PM »
Hi ya Kate,

I'm sure the extra pooing is due to the extra eating.  As long as his poo is firm I wouldn't see there is anything to worry about.

I would ignore what your neighbours said .... we know you are doing everything you can for your little man  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #875 on: October 18, 2008, 19:03:28 PM »
Just popping by to give some evening hugs to Swampy and top up the vibes.

Kate, am sorry one of your neighbours was so insensitive.  It's not for anyone to judge the situation you're in here.  There but for the grace of God and all that.  Stay strong, sweetheart.   :hug: :hug:

Am sure if there's a lamp out there that's suitable, Mark will find it.  Go, Mark!  ;)

It sounds like the paw shaking will have been a neurological reaction, but am hoping you and your little family have a happy and peaceful night together tonight.   :hug: :hug:

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #874 on: October 18, 2008, 16:04:44 PM »
*hugs* for Swampy.  :Luv:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #873 on: October 18, 2008, 16:02:28 PM »
He's started pooing twice a day now. (sorry those of delicate sensibilities!). Does anyone know if this could be from the cortisone (he's on 7.5mgs at present)? I know it makes them pee more. Otherwise when a cat has seizures they often poo a lot too so it could be a neuro thing. I forgot to ask the vet.
yes he's eating more than usual and so far the poo isn't diarrhoea (although he's on 3 - 4mls dose of normally constipating Kaminox - potassium and iron - so that could help gum him up a bit) but this is still a new development. He needed to go badly so had to be guided to the tray as needing to go badly = stress.

Plus his mum just had an inept attempt to get the teeny vivitonin down him, it ended up stuck in his teeth and in trying to clear his teeth his paw got the shudders - bit weird, thankfully now stopped.
Oh blimey now tucking into Max's dry when he's supposed to go 30 mins after his vivitonin without eating! (honestly I wonder if it matters that much?!). I can't see anything as a side effect of pred??

Mark, the vet didn't like that lamp (although we agreed it looks just the ticket for people) as wants something that throws a wider arc of (non fluorescent) light so it can be further from him, warm him and give him vit D. Vet thinks this may not be poss to find however (?); certainly I've had no luck looking. many thanks for your help with this anyhow.

xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #872 on: October 18, 2008, 13:29:45 PM »
Glad he's having a good day so far, ignore your neighbour, what do they know?  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #871 on: October 18, 2008, 12:03:55 PM »
Swamps had a goodish early morning - he found the tray twice and had his meds all right. It seems that lately he's a bit better early on than later in the day. I'm making my notes! I hope he'll enjoy a kip on the futon in the sun this afternoon, although he seems to have got a bit sun phobic lately too. He's having a miaow so must go and investigate. Enjoy the sun to all babes and slaves and xx  :hug:  :hug:

Had a run in with a neighbour who asked me flat out why I was letting him suffer still, which wasn't that great to deal with but there are always people like that aren't there? My other neighbour just wanted to know if Swampy was purring as then he could see why I was going the extra mile for him.
Anyhow here's hoping for the best this weekend xx

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #870 on: October 18, 2008, 11:23:45 AM »
Sending good hopes and blessings to you and Swampy xx
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #869 on: October 18, 2008, 11:21:52 AM »
Morning all, topping up with healing Swampy vibes and more  :hug: :hug:.  We've got loads of sunshine here today, so sending some your way just in case xxx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #868 on: October 18, 2008, 08:31:22 AM »
Good morning Swampy and co.  It's cold, crisp and frostyish here in Manchester.  Hope it's nice and sunny where you are.  Hope you had a good night and that your day is calm  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #867 on: October 18, 2008, 07:26:45 AM »
 :hug: How is dear Swampy today?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #866 on: October 17, 2008, 21:09:49 PM »
Sending goodnight cuddles to you Swampy  ;D

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #865 on: October 17, 2008, 21:08:42 PM »
Just popping on to send peaceful night wishes to you all  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #864 on: October 17, 2008, 15:18:23 PM »
Sending calm down vibes for both Swampy and mum. Keep up the good work, Max. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #863 on: October 17, 2008, 13:07:29 PM »
Hey, Swampy, lil' feller - just relax with your brother.  Sending some calming thoughts to you and your Mum.  :care:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #862 on: October 17, 2008, 12:56:52 PM »
Swampy is having a few problems after a good start to the day. He's been doing a lot of manic little circles since 10.30 or so, has a little upset tum (fortekor?) and at one point fell over on the bed. I rang the vet and the nurse told me to feed him a little - he gets stressed if he's hungry or wants the tray - and watch him and call if I think he needs a visit. Apparently the vet isn't going to be at work this mon and tues either, so if I am worried today or tomorrow I'll ask for a visit. Such a rollercoaster from one hour to the next. I did take him into the sun but he didn't want to stay, nor would he rest. So I've brought a reluctant Max back to the futon and they seem to be settling down together for a bit. Poor Max would rather be in the sun but I need him to try to calm Swampy down.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #861 on: October 17, 2008, 12:20:51 PM »
More vibes from us  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #860 on: October 17, 2008, 11:23:19 AM »
Just topping up some more Swampy vibes for the day, and I too love his purr, he's adorable  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #859 on: October 17, 2008, 11:03:25 AM »
Wonderful Swampy purrs.  Hope he has a good day and no problems tomorrow  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #858 on: October 17, 2008, 10:06:32 AM »
That sounds great Mark, thank you.  I'll email the vet today with the ebay link so he can have a look over the weekend and if you let me know how bright they are when they arrive with you, that'd be great. Swampy seems to avoid direct sun lately and he's not allowed very bright or flickering artificial light near his head/eyes. It may be precautionary but as we aren't sure what's happened exactly in his brain, we have to be ultra careful, especially with a lamp which will be placed directly next to him.

Yes the advantage of my much used old camera is that it takes video clips with stereo sound! Swampy's purr is the loveliest sound in the world to me. He had a reasonably good night and I'm thankful as it's all caught up with me a bit the last few days. I must wake him in a mo to take his fortekor and liquid muck. The sun's out but I may leave him in here today as he feels more secure and the sun should stay and reach the futon at lunchtime for a couple of hours (hopefully).
I am neurotic today as the last 2 fridays he's rallied nicely, only to have a further brain bleed early on saturday morning. So please keep the prayers and vibes coming and lots of love and dark brown (stereo) purrs to all  :hug:  :hug: You gave me a great idea, now I'm going to play his purrs through the hifi speakers  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #857 on: October 17, 2008, 09:02:31 AM »
I heard the purring  :Luv2:

Great that he is getting used to things and that know he is safe and loved  :Luv2:

As for lamps, I found a full-spectrum lamp on ebay. AFAIK, all full spectrum lamps give out vitamin D. This one doesn't claim to but I bought two for reading/studying

The search term is       

BNIB Full Spectrum Non Flashing Desk/Reading/Table Lamp

Sorry I couldn't link as it ties it to my account. They are £19.99 + £6.50 postage. I wonder if the "non-flashing" bit is what the vet was wary of? - especially with anything neurological. I have seen other full spectrum lamps but they are usually £100+

I will see if there is anything in the leaflet when they arrive.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 10:40:12 AM by Mark »

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #856 on: October 17, 2008, 08:06:24 AM »
morning and huuuge cuddles to dear Swampy & Max :hug:  from me and my 2 today xx
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 08:07:51 AM by janeyk »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #855 on: October 17, 2008, 07:01:08 AM »
Morning to you Kate and to the marvellous Swampy and also to his bruvver, Max.   Hope Swampy had a wonderful sleep after his exciting birthday and am topping up the healing vibes and the cuddles for this wonderful chap.   :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #854 on: October 17, 2008, 05:45:11 AM »
Good morning hope you all had a peaceful night and that Swampy is well as he enters his 18th year  :hug:

Link to CatChat