Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404856 times)

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #813 on: October 15, 2008, 17:46:05 PM »
I'm sure cats know more than we think and Max understands that Swamp aint the same as the "old swamp",we dont give them enough credit I dont think as they are such intellegent creatures and I'm sure Max will keep and eye on Swamp in his own ways too :Luv2:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #812 on: October 15, 2008, 15:20:36 PM »
I'll pass on your messages to his furry head xx

No, the vet's best guess is that he's not in pain; that's the first thing I asked him last time he came around. Swampy gets frustrated and stressed when he can't find the litter tray but is generally being very brave. If I think he's finding life intolerable, then that would remove the doubt factor.
He's just woken and is doing his "thermals" (head going up and down, sniffing, done that since he went blind) so must go and reassure him.  :hug:  :hug: for the prayers and vibes.  I can't believe how good Max is being with him (maybe Max knows he is now 'top' cat in terms of abilities?!) and long may that last. Their snogging really calms him down!

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #811 on: October 15, 2008, 14:34:57 PM »
Come on Swampy,we're all routing for you over here matey :hug:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #810 on: October 15, 2008, 14:30:59 PM »
Come on Swampster you can do it lil man xxxx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #809 on: October 15, 2008, 14:20:57 PM »
So it's over to you Swampy, come on big boy there are so many people sending you love, hugs and positive vibes that you just have to feel them.   :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #808 on: October 15, 2008, 14:07:06 PM »
My old boy Schui has very bad sinuses (possibly some growth) and renal failure, recently he was very low my vet gave him a steroid injection and he has picked up immensley, he used to have them previously too for gum problems (before he had all teeth removed).  Each time though they have taken at least a fortnight to kick in and then Schui has improved a great deal.  I hope Swampy willl improve too, does the vet not think he is in any pain or discomfort?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #807 on: October 15, 2008, 13:53:08 PM »
 I spoke to the vet. Have to keep doing what I am doing but decrease the steroid back to 1 tab p.d again from tomorrow. He said if Swampy was younger he would really want him to have an MRI. He hopes the Vivitonin may make him feel better and stop any further attacks, but it's wait and see. Again he suggests 2 weeks from the treatment starting to see improvement or not, as that's the relevant timeframe. He also said many people would have decided on pts by now as the nursing, with little prospect of recovery, is exhausting and I am not in great health, but that is just too horrible to think about. Anyhow he says he has done and I have done all that can be done and now the rest is up to Swampy's injured brain.
At least now my littly has had lunch and is back asleep with Max so that's good.
xx

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #806 on: October 15, 2008, 10:47:30 AM »
poor Swampy  :( I hope your vet can sort something out soon for him.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #805 on: October 15, 2008, 10:30:16 AM »
hello, thanks so much again.  He had an ok night, up at 5am needing some help and has eaten and had his meds. He seems calm on the futon and the last 2 days he's slept more during the day - not just sitting and then pacing - but it's just when he gets up to walk that he's still going in circles to the right. If he finds what he wants like the tray or water, he somehow manages despite the right hand circles. If he doesn't he starts to get upset and stressed and walks faster in ever smaller and smaller circles and needs rescuing. That's when he miaows too. But I just woke him for his fortekor and turkey pate snack and his kaminox and he sat on my lap and it seems like nothing's wrong. I don't think the vet's coming (spoke to the nurse) but have left a message to speak to him. As he's so busy it's best when he does come as not only does he see Swampy, but he gives him his full attention -no other pets or phone calls happening at the same time.
Sue, that's what I do (esp as the vet can be vague when busy and can change his mind) I make a list of the most NB questions and ask them more than once to be sure. Hopefully he will call me late morning.

mega Swamphugs to everyone  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #804 on: October 15, 2008, 09:03:44 AM »
Sending lots of morning huggles and vibes your way, I don't think I'll have any sunshine from Surrey to send you today, but hopefully the warmth of all our wishes for you guys will be OK  :hug: xxxxx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #803 on: October 15, 2008, 09:00:38 AM »
Sending lots of Sunshine and positive vibes your way. :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #802 on: October 15, 2008, 08:45:46 AM »
More vibes to you all from us  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #801 on: October 15, 2008, 07:44:34 AM »
Morning Swampy.   :hug: :hug:  Hope that you have the most excellent day today.  Kate, hope you manage to get to see the vet, and to have a good chat to him.  Don't forget to write stuff down you might want to ask, in case you forget (or is that just me, 'cos I have amemory like a sieve!  :))

Sending big cuddles to you and Swampy from me and Paddy  :cuddle:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #800 on: October 15, 2008, 06:23:43 AM »
Hope you all had an easy night and hope you manage to see the vet today.  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #799 on: October 14, 2008, 22:43:48 PM »
Hi Kate,

Just wanted to say that I hope things are more positive tonight and tomorrow for you and the gorgeous Swampy.

I keep looking at his picture in the purrs diary - he is such a gorgeous cat  ;D I now realise he is in this weeks page because of his birthday  :Luv2:

I haven't posted in here much but I am reading the thread every day and just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you  :hug:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #798 on: October 14, 2008, 22:36:06 PM »
Goodnight  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #797 on: October 14, 2008, 22:34:42 PM »
good night to everyone. Swampy's had a good sleep all afternoon so may be awake a bit tonight and be helped to the tray, but he's still on the warm cushion with Max right now and happy enough. OH came home and held his paw (purrs), then they both snored side by side on the futon. Have to try to speak to the vet tomorrow. Not sure if he's coming round or not. I want to ask him about motion sickness or dizziness meds, if such a thing exists.  I read up tonight on vestibular disease and while he has some symptoms of the cerebral vestibular disease, he doesn't have others like being unstable on his feet all the time or head tilt.

good night xx

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #796 on: October 14, 2008, 22:21:07 PM »
and me makes three  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #795 on: October 14, 2008, 22:15:28 PM »
and from me too  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #794 on: October 14, 2008, 22:13:06 PM »
Hope Swampy and you get a good sleep tonight  :hug:

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #793 on: October 14, 2008, 22:11:42 PM »
Kate, hope that you and Swampy have a restful night - thinking of you at this difficult time.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #792 on: October 14, 2008, 18:22:01 PM »
Just popping in to top up the healing vibes before I go back to work. :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #791 on: October 14, 2008, 14:19:30 PM »
got it down him this time at least! no foaming but a bit of gagging. I mixed it in with a drop of turkey pate, the Hills muck they both like, woke him up (awww) put him on my knee and put my finger right down.
This isn't going to work every time as if he's awake it will be an awful lot harder as he's really strong. He still has his vivitonin (tiny 1/4 tab; prob the easiest), Kaminox dropper (spits yellow iron muck all over everything) and another 1/2 tab steroid to go today. I'm just adding water to his food as he doesn't seem to want to drink. He drank at 5 and 8am though. If he's not able to find the bowl, I try bringing it to him a couple of times a day but generally he isn't interested. I tried butter but it stuck to my finger! yes even these tiny pills make so much powder. You'd think they could make pred with a coating though don't you, as it's so commonly used by cats and they must all hate the taste.
No sun at all but they are both curled up together with Max washing Swamp on my favourite cushion on the futon. Hopefully stay like that for a couple of hours before we have the next circling walk to negotiate.
 :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #790 on: October 14, 2008, 13:58:25 PM »
I could not medicate Kocka at all but she had high blood pressure for the last year and needed a 1/4 tablet every day. Now this was really tiny and I used to crush it and then feed it in tiny bits in her ad diet which she ate off my finger.

The problem is that unless its really tiny, when crushed they make a lot of powder!

I am pleased that Swampy got some night time sleep and if we had a sign of any sun would send it all to you. Lots of love to Swampy  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #789 on: October 14, 2008, 13:34:00 PM »
btw I'm having trouble getting his pred down him. The pills aren't coated and they hit his tongue and he starts drooling and foaming as they must taste repulsive. This doesn't happen with his other tablets (although I'm worried that he gets them all before meals and may start to associate food with being tortured beforehand). I tried them coated in some yoghurt but he just spat and drooled yoghurt as well.
Next dose is due around lunch time. They are very tiny so if you coat them in some food, they'll stick to my finger. Any ideas? He is getting them twice a day at present - one tab lunchtime and 1/2 at night.
They don't go down easily like Fortekor does. (he sat on my lap like a sleepy baby and gulped down his fortekor - it was so sweet).

Hi, I've just skim read this thread and cried lots  :hug:
regarding he tablet our Penny used to foam when I gave her tablets it was a nightmare however what my sister used on her cat was coating it in butter so it slid down easily.  What I found brlliant for our last cat Smokey, was putting half a tablet inside half a king prawn and never had a problem! if your cat likes prawns it works a treat.  Our Schui takes his Fortekar well too (though I usually crush it in his food)
very best wishes for Swampy and you xx
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 13:36:03 PM by janeyk »

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: Rosie and Ruby x
« Reply #788 on: October 14, 2008, 13:10:39 PM »
Yeah Misty takes His fortekor with no problem too

Sending more possitive vibes  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #787 on: October 14, 2008, 11:55:24 AM »
Dairylea cheese spread?

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #786 on: October 14, 2008, 11:38:07 AM »
btw I'm having trouble getting his pred down him. The pills aren't coated and they hit his tongue and he starts drooling and foaming as they must taste repulsive. This doesn't happen with his other tablets (although I'm worried that he gets them all before meals and may start to associate food with being tortured beforehand). I tried them coated in some yoghurt but he just spat and drooled yoghurt as well.
Next dose is due around lunch time. They are very tiny so if you coat them in some food, they'll stick to my finger. Any ideas? He is getting them twice a day at present - one tab lunchtime and 1/2 at night.
They don't go down easily like Fortekor does. (he sat on my lap like a sleepy baby and gulped down his fortekor - it was so sweet).

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #785 on: October 14, 2008, 10:29:09 AM »
Well done Swampy, clever, clever boy

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #784 on: October 14, 2008, 10:27:07 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
to you all
love
Tab

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #783 on: October 14, 2008, 09:59:19 AM »
Morning to everyone. Swampy had a reasonable night and found his way to the tray, even if not by the most direct route. He also found some old food I'd left out by mistake and almost whoopsed it on me at 4.45am which was "lovely"....bit hyper and still a bit of circling but he's now asleep, waiting for his fortekor and other mooty torture to start when he shows any sign of waking up. He's been a bit more vocal but think that's probably cos I gave him an extra 1/2 pred last night. Don't have too high hopes for the sun today but here's hoping for a quiet one anyhow.
Gill - no offence at all, I know just what you mean. My OH will do what's right for Swampy when it's time, I'm sure of that. He loves Swampy very much.
I've noticed that when he's agitated or stressed (like he's got to find the tray) his circling gets worse so am trying to keep him zen.

lots of love and  :hug: to all.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #782 on: October 14, 2008, 09:15:16 AM »
I hope Swampy gets lots of sun today and plenty of  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: to you both.

I've not (yet) been in your situation decision wise and I can't imagine how it makes you feel but there are some very wise words of wisdom for the purrs people here  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #781 on: October 14, 2008, 09:06:30 AM »
Sending all the Rays of Sunshine I can muster your way  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #780 on: October 14, 2008, 09:03:17 AM »
Just topping up with some more healing vibes this morning, sending lots of  :hug: :hug: and hoping you have some nice sunshine today.

Hope you all have a good day today  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #779 on: October 14, 2008, 07:07:07 AM »
Morning Swampy, Max and Kate.  Hoping you have a sunny day in every respect today.  Topping up the healing cuddles for you all   :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #778 on: October 14, 2008, 06:15:24 AM »
Morning Swampy and family.  Hope you all enjoyed a restful night and are ready for a lovely day ahead.  :hug: :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #777 on: October 14, 2008, 03:20:08 AM »
Very early morning get better , healing vibes for Swampy and big :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: to you as i know what you are going through .
Take care and hope you have a sunny day for you all .

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #776 on: October 14, 2008, 01:05:01 AM »
 :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #775 on: October 14, 2008, 00:29:30 AM »
Kate I can only echo what others have said but I do agree with Gill.

There is no doubt that your love Swampy and as such you WILL make the right decision for him when the time is right hun  :hug: :hug: :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #774 on: October 13, 2008, 22:51:36 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: thank you. xx

Link to CatChat