Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404862 times)

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #773 on: October 13, 2008, 22:40:30 PM »
I've only ever lost one cat so sadly and i felt she told me exactly what night she wanted to go to the bridge. I held her and told her it was ok and that was it. We cuddled for hours and I fell asleep holding her and protecting her. When I woke I knew I had to take her to the vet's the next day. She didn't make it to the next day  :'( .

Up until that point though I had lots of questions and lots of doubts. As long as you have doubts I'm not sure whether the time's quite right.

Take care of yourself, oh and Max but especially Swamp, he'll let you know  :hug:
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #772 on: October 13, 2008, 21:43:54 PM »
i think that many words of wisdom have been said and i certainly would not try to tell you want to do because only you can decide along with Swampy. You know him so well.

What does disturb me is that you and your OH seem not to agree on the best course of action and although its not my business but it would be terrible if your OH, who obviously loves Swampy too, wishes to take a 'get out of jail free card' for himself  hoping that maybe nature will take its course. I humbly suggest that this is not the best way for him to think and he must think of Swampy and his quality of life because that must be paramount.

Sorry off my soap box and hope that I have not caused any offence. I feel I know Swampy so well from all you have said about him and hope that he has a great birthday with you and Max.

Lots of good wishes for him tonight  :hug: :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #771 on: October 13, 2008, 21:40:23 PM »
I can only echo what the others have said! You will know when the time comes - you are Swampys mum and you know him best. It is perfectly clear from all you have said that you love your boys dearly and have given Swampy (and Max) all the love they could possibly have. :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #770 on: October 13, 2008, 20:45:03 PM »
I can only echo what Sue has said Kate - words of wisdom  :hug:

You have done and are doing everything possible to give your boy the best quality of life and dignity.  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #769 on: October 13, 2008, 20:09:55 PM »
you're so right. You must be so fed up telling me those wise words (but I panic of course).  :hug: to you and little Paddy  :hug:

I expect that I will know when it is time. Doubt is probably a sign that it isn't. xx

Not at all, sweetheart.  :hug:   And I still think that your gut instinct is the right one - if you think Swampy is good for four days, four weeks, four months, then you will use your instinct to guide you.  All of us know you would give your right arm/greatest riches to have Swampy back to "normal" again, and whatever decision you make will only be taken after much soul-searching.  Swampy will, I agree, let you know.  Until then, hold the faith.   :hug: :hug:  Each day as it comes, and one day at a time.   :hug:

Paddy sends big whiskery Prrrfpppptss!  for the brave Swampy.   :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #768 on: October 13, 2008, 20:00:38 PM »
he seems to enjoy grooming Max and still cleans himself.

When they are still grooming themselves, or even grooming another cat, I always take that as a positive sign. I think a very sickly, depressed cat wouldn't groom himself, never mind another cat. You will know if and when quality of life isnt there anymore because you know Swampy so well.  :hug:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #767 on: October 13, 2008, 19:25:48 PM »
Just wish I could take your pain away
 :hug: :hug: for you and Swampy

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #766 on: October 13, 2008, 19:14:32 PM »
you are all helping me so much. I can't describe how much. give yourselves a huge purry  :hug:
I just had some "light" relief. I put Max on the scales....!!!! (not that I can talk). 5.4kgs! Time to measure out that dry food methinks.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #765 on: October 13, 2008, 18:48:46 PM »
Has to be said Kate, Sue is the best at helping with wise words at times like this. :hug: Noone is fed up with you; if anything we're all frustrated we can't do anything to help you and Swampy.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #764 on: October 13, 2008, 18:46:08 PM »
Kate  :hug: :hug:
Swampy  :hug: :hug:

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #763 on: October 13, 2008, 18:39:57 PM »
 :hug: and all from my terrors on 4 paws.

Hope swampy has a good night tonight and hopefully a sunny day tomorrow as well.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #762 on: October 13, 2008, 18:35:08 PM »
you're so right. You must be so fed up telling me those wise words (but I panic of course).  :hug: to you and little Paddy  :hug:

I expect that I will know when it is time. Doubt is probably a sign that it isn't. xx

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #761 on: October 13, 2008, 18:30:05 PM »
One day at a time, hun.   :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #760 on: October 13, 2008, 18:26:06 PM »
I'm just not getting enough unhappiness or suffering from Swampy right now to say for sure that it is time. His purring is in response to affection or being picked up, so not pain purring. Being adventurous, he can't sit still so does wander around the room and that's when the stress of not knowing where he is, plus dizziness, makes him circle and become upset. He is eating, his weight is stable, he seems to enjoy grooming Max and still cleans himself. The tough bits are when he walks around. The last injection of steroids improved that in 3 days, with days 4 and 5 being the best and day 6 he had another episode in his brain. I'm not sure about the pills and how strong/weak they are in comparison to the injection. That is where we can be guided by the vet - he can tell us if there should be a better response to meds within a time frame. 
The vet's already said that it is our call as he is only here a short time, Swampy doesn't enjoy his visit so he can't judge really on the merits. That's for us to discuss and decide.  If there was unbearable constant suffering or loss of dignity like I've had with all my other cats, you have no doubts. Of course the current situation is unlikely to stay the same over the next few days.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #759 on: October 13, 2008, 18:12:37 PM »
I know what you mean about the indescribable bond. My cats are....well I'd say my family, but even that doesn't seem quite expressive enough. These amazing animals have chosen to share their wonderful little personalities with me and I'm honoured to have that in my life.

Toby who we lost to CRF in June was probably the one animal that could encourage complete calm in me. Sometimes I think of him and miss that so much.

You'll know what to do for the best, honestly. Your love for Swampy will guide you, and there's no way Swampy could think you acted with anything other than love in your heart whatever you decide. :hug: :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #758 on: October 13, 2008, 18:11:16 PM »
No advice really I just wanted to say I am thinking of you and sending  :hug: to all of you

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #757 on: October 13, 2008, 17:17:24 PM »
I am sorry things are looking so dire - one thing I would say is that purring isn't always a happy thing, they also do it to comfort themselves, so not really a good indication. It is a lot harder when it isn't as clear cut, it was similar with Mabel, but you have to consider their quality of life all the time, not just when they are sitting, as that is when neuro problems are bound to be better. Ask your vet the honest question on Wed, my vet answers that now, although she shied away at first, and then have a chat with Swampy, I always ask mine to let me know when they are ready. Good luck, and we are all here for you
Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #756 on: October 13, 2008, 16:38:00 PM »
Having been through the ringer and everything with Gem in the last month it is a terrible dilemma

I think that you need to put your hat on your head though and not lead with your heart - harsh words but a very knd person on this board sent me the the right direction and then Gem looked at me and said Mum its time to let me go

hand on heart and lots of tears but the vet agreed that we couldn't go on with Gem much longer

I hope you enjoy his birthday and then have a long chat with Swampy and see what he thinks you should do :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #755 on: October 13, 2008, 16:31:53 PM »
Oh Kate Sweetie, I wish there were words to make you feel better but there just arnt - thinking of you the gorgeous Swampy xxx  :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #754 on: October 13, 2008, 15:12:46 PM »
nothing to say just a huge  :hug: from me and my boy who is asleep with his bro' Max. xx

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #753 on: October 13, 2008, 15:00:54 PM »
I have no advice at all hunnie, just wanted say I'm thinking of you, and I know you'll do whatever is right for darling Swampy if and when the time comes  :hug: :hug: xxxx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #752 on: October 13, 2008, 15:00:14 PM »
Perhaps if you ask your regular vet what he would do if it was his cat? 

That is actually a very good idea and something i have done before.

Kate, I just dont know what advice to offer because i dont want to push you one way or another....its not my place to do that  :hug: And you havent asked for peoples opinions either
It would be very easy as an outsider to tell you want you should do but you are Swampys Mum and the decision has to come from you, all i can say is we are all thinking of you and know what a terrible place you are in at the moment  :hug:

BIG kisses to our brave boy xxx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #751 on: October 13, 2008, 14:52:44 PM »
Thinking of you all at this dreadfully difficult time.

xC
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #750 on: October 13, 2008, 14:36:03 PM »
The vet is aware of how much we love Swampy. He says Swampy's the most loved cat (he's not really a cat see, he's the child I didn't have or something/one so loved that I can't really describe our bond) that he's had as a patient and he knows that this makes it so hard. But he keeps on saying we must discuss euthanasia. But then he tells me he's going away at Xmas, so I said that Swampy wouldn't make it that long and he said oh you never know.
I think OH is hoping that the decision is taken for him in that something awful happens like a big stroke, or else Swampy becomes miserable all the time.  I don't blame OH for thinking like that and as Swamp purrs when we cuddle him, it would be wrong right now I think. I just would hate him to be dizzy and disoriented all the time. He's so pumped full of stimulants (steroids and Vivitonin) so we have to try to wait and see if they have an effect.
I just posted a long answer to someone desperate about fibrosarcoma (I've been there with Swampy in 05) which made me concentrate on something else, but can't do that for long. Thanks so much for helping me get through this. xx
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 14:37:19 PM by swampmaxmum »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #749 on: October 13, 2008, 14:25:06 PM »
Oh Kate, petal.  It's so hard for you, and I can totally see where you're coming from, also your OH's arguments too.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Nothing will spoil before Friday, and Swampy's special day.  Celebrate his birthday and enjoy the day with him.

If, after that, you still feel it's unfair on Swampy then have another chat with your OH and see if you can reach agreement, perhaps with the input of Swampy's vet on his visit on Wednesday.  Tell him what both you and your OH have been discussing and see what his opinion is.   At the end of the day, I'm a great believer in going with your gut instinct.  If you feel deep down Swampy's quality of life is suffering, then letting go might be the kindest step.  And the hardest.    :hug: :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #748 on: October 13, 2008, 14:13:47 PM »
Your post today has had me in tears so I can only imagine what you are going though.

I have no real advice but  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #747 on: October 13, 2008, 14:13:04 PM »
Hug for you Kate it is a terrible situation you are in.  Perhaps if you ask your regular vet what he would do if it was his cat?  It is difficult to make a decision when Swampy is so obviously fighting. 

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #746 on: October 13, 2008, 14:01:45 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #745 on: October 13, 2008, 14:00:38 PM »
The locum vet's not coming. We try to hang on until wednesday with Swampy getting 2 pred pills a day from today to see if that helps. Vet sent a message saying that's all he can do, otherwise I must take Swamp for an MRI. He knows I can't do that as he wouldn't survive it. Swamps is ok when sitting or lying (hardly sleeps though) and purrs and seems ok, but as soon as he gets up to walk there is a problem. OH and I argued as OH says as long as he is happy in himself sitting or lying we can't take drastic decisions. I am becoming less sure that this is fair to Swampy. As he is physically robust, the decision is harder still. Plus if he makes it through to Friday, it is his 17th birthday. I feel a terrible mix up of emotions right now and think one thing one minute and then another the next. Sorry to go on again and we send  :hug:

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #744 on: October 13, 2008, 13:58:20 PM »
Hugs for you and Swampy.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #743 on: October 13, 2008, 09:41:17 AM »
I am sorry to hear he is still circling - interesting that it is in the opposite direction to his earlier circling.  Locum vet may cast a new eye over it and might not be a bad thing.  Glad he managed some sleep and purring  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #742 on: October 13, 2008, 09:10:33 AM »
many thanks Mark, I will forward on that link. It looks fairly innocuous to me but I'm not doing a thing without vet advice at this point.

Swampy had a reasonable night and has eaten and purred but he is still walking in right hand circles quite a bit and having to be rescued, although did manage to find the tray. I rang to find out if I can increase his steroid dose but the locum vet is on duty until wednesday unfortunately which increases my anxiety. I just suppose (?) that the steroid pills are a lot lower dose than an injection and wondered if Swampy shouldn't have an injection today instead. If I'd known, I'd have asked for a visit on saturday after surgery.

I got some sleep but had awful nightmares on predictable subjects. I'm sure you've all been there with that too. The sun looks like it may have hit a mist wall today. Hope to see it in a couple of hours.

xxxx

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #741 on: October 13, 2008, 08:55:03 AM »
What a lovely vet you have  :hug:

More vibes for you and swampy xxxx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #740 on: October 13, 2008, 08:41:25 AM »
Hope he had a good night.

I have been googling about the vitamin D lamps again and all I can find are human sunlamp type things that you have to wear google with, fluorescent strips or bulbs that look like energy saving bulbs. I'm not sure if they consider them to be fluorescent or not?

http://www.amazinghealth.co.uk/ionising-light-bulbs.htm
(The bulb at the bottom is ionising + Vitamin D)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 08:42:06 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #739 on: October 13, 2008, 08:29:13 AM »
Same here, some added :cuddle:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #738 on: October 13, 2008, 08:28:25 AM »
Happy Monday wishes to you and Swampy  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #737 on: October 13, 2008, 07:58:33 AM »
Topping up the healing vibes for Swampy, and hoping you both had a good night.    :hug: :hug:

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #736 on: October 12, 2008, 22:27:11 PM »
Kate, hope you all have a restful night, X
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #735 on: October 12, 2008, 21:05:09 PM »
Lots of love to Swampy tonight  :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #734 on: October 12, 2008, 19:41:59 PM »
Jusr topping up the healing vibes for Swampy today - i hope you all have a peaceful night xx

Link to CatChat