Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404867 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #733 on: October 12, 2008, 19:37:52 PM »
Bless him I, too, hope you all have a peaceful night  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #732 on: October 12, 2008, 19:04:29 PM »
he's done some pacing and we got worried as when he was zzzzing he had a bad dream, his eyes opened a bit so you could see the whites, which are totally red. I suppose if he's been having brain bleeds that's what you'd expect. My neighbour says that that can be a sign of a brain tumour too (she had one, poor woman). Anyhow I think he's just had his meds - the 1/4 Vivitonin is tiny and easily pouched, so will judge by appetite or lack of, later on.
Yes what a fantastic boost to have some sun to rest in. Mind you, Swampy is leaving the sunniest areas after a short time. I wonder if they hurt his brain at all? I just have to assault him one more time today (lactulose). I feel so bad with all the med attacks - there are 7 in all, all have to be done at different times.  Here's hoping for a good night for all  :hug: and may all our babes safely find the litter tray.....and snore loudly and safely tonight.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #731 on: October 12, 2008, 15:43:42 PM »
Topping up with lots more vibes today, and hoping that the sunshine is making everyone feel a bit better  :hug: xxxx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #730 on: October 12, 2008, 15:05:17 PM »
Just to say that I'm glad to hear that Swampy is having a good day and enjoying the sunshine.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #729 on: October 12, 2008, 14:28:05 PM »
Glad things are fairly calm and hope he and you and Max and your OH have a relaxing and sunny day.   :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #728 on: October 12, 2008, 14:25:11 PM »
Swampy - Ppppprrffffppppt!   Love, Paddy xxx

Kate - for you  :hug: :hug:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #727 on: October 12, 2008, 11:41:06 AM »
It sounds as though Swampy is having a good day so far!  Fingers crossed he can enjoy some sunshine today and that the meds help him  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #726 on: October 12, 2008, 10:36:23 AM »
Hi, lovely sunny day here and Swamp's been tortured with all his morning meds but is a bit calmer at the mo' even if prone to right hand circles still. The night wasn't too bad - he's a bit more vocal. He's still not sleeping much, either night or day though. Vivitonin's made him hungrier and he noshed some of Max's dry too overnight. I left out J/d which gets good marks for omega whatsits and arthritis help from the Fabcats Vivitonin blurb the vet gave me. (If you have a cat with inappetance, you might ask the vet if you could use that!).  He enjoyed a good zoomgroom in the sun this morning too after his 3 pills and eye mooty!
I did manage a few hours kip so do feel a bit calmer today. Thanks to all of you so very much for hearing me out and helping me through this. Lots of sunshine coming your way all day too I hope  :hug:
 :grouphug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #725 on: October 12, 2008, 05:17:26 AM »
Glad he has settled again, what a roller coaster you are on.  Hope you had a peaceful night and have a quiet day  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #724 on: October 12, 2008, 00:27:33 AM »
What a hard time for you and Swampy, I do hope both of you get some sleep tonight. Lots of good vibes for Swampy  :hug:

It just struck me that Swampy cant tell when its day and night and as cats are naturally night animals, maybe thats whey he is awake every night. Maybe his body clock has just gone back to a cat one.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #723 on: October 11, 2008, 21:54:56 PM »
I'm glad he seems a bit calmer, hope you do too Kate  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #722 on: October 11, 2008, 19:50:01 PM »
just given the vititonin and hope it doesn't have any side effects. Probably not too clever to start it at night but the vet wanted me to start it before monday. (may try to move the dose by a few hours a day until it's given at lunchtime or something). Swamp managed to take a steroid earlier but spat it so many times that I had to chuck it (it must taste yuk as he foamed). Suddenly he seems calmer (at the moment anyhow....). I think he may have had another little brain bleed during the night. Until an hour ago he was miserable and in his igloo with his coat all 'stirred' (what do you call it when their coats go in visible layers when they are unwell). Now his coat is lying down again and silky. It strikes me that the vivitonin is an attempt to stop further strokes. All day we could not even pick up Swampy as he got too agitated. Just now I picked him up and he purred. So we are following the wise advice on here and enjoying the moment and hoping for a night with no further incident.
What a lovely day and hope everyone and their babes enjoyed it. My OH stayed with Swamp (one of them snored lol) and I went out for 45 mins which was good xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #721 on: October 11, 2008, 16:45:47 PM »
That's kind of the vet.  My dog Pepsi (RIP) used to take Vivitonin.  Hope you managed to get out for a while and that the cats enjoyed the catnip.  :hug:

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #720 on: October 11, 2008, 16:23:06 PM »
Awww the catnip was a lovely touch!

Hugs for swampy.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #719 on: October 11, 2008, 15:05:55 PM »
yes you're right. I must just let what happens happen. The vet called and is cycling round with some prednisolone tablets on his way out. Says they may or may not help but hopefully they will cause Swampy to feel better but they take at least 24 hours to work unlike the jab. I think i will go out for a bit too when OH gets back as this sun is lovely here today. Hope it's the same with everyone  :hug:

PS Swampy's been brought some Vivitonin too - for dogs and cats with old age dementia (thinks they may help him by increasing blood flow to the brain) and he brought Swampy a little bag of catnip too, which was unexpected and very sweet. The Swampcat is FINALLY asleep, 12 hours on, curled up with Max  :hug:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 16:02:09 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #718 on: October 11, 2008, 13:46:50 PM »
Try not to worry too much Kate you have been here before and the cortisone helped.  He might need to have them regularly to keep him stable.  Big hug to you and Swampy

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #717 on: October 11, 2008, 13:40:45 PM »
Waiting for the vet to call me - I texted him as he didn't call when surgery closed as we'd arranged. We are very worried. Swampy just paces and is a bit wobbly. He must be so tired as he started walking at about 4am and hasn't stopped except for the odd 10 mins or so and about 1/2 hour in the sun, but then he left the sunny bed for the futon. The pattern is he sits for a little bit, then paces agitatedly. At one point he started walking in right hand circles a bit too.
His eyes aren't moving sideways and he's eaten, had his fortekor and has found his tray, but this is not good. I was so hopeful after the last 2 days. Max's presence doesn't calm him either. I think the cortisone must be wearing off. I was hoping to get it topped up today. The vet didn't want to because Swampy's cold would maybe then kick in but my view is it helps his brain. I feel so upset and pessimistic again.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #716 on: October 11, 2008, 13:11:59 PM »
Sending more cuddles and healing vibes for Swampy this morning

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #715 on: October 11, 2008, 12:36:48 PM »
Clever boy Swampy.  Hope the agitation settles and he can enjoying some nice sunny relaxation  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #714 on: October 11, 2008, 11:30:17 AM »
I think they say around 5 days for the levels to settle with Fortekor. It's the first few days that are the worse as apparently, it increases creatine levels which then settle down again. I think we have hit the 2 years Mark with Clapton taking it.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #713 on: October 11, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
Thanks for the link, Mark. It's proving very tricky to find one that is UV and gives off vitamin D at the right frequency and that isn't too bright for his brain. The reptiley ones are all fluorescent, which is apparently a problem. So haven't bought one yet but must keep at it. I have to send the links to the vet by email so he can check them out. Vet has said forget the infra red warm ones as we can use a heatpad, just try to get vit D range in a SAD one (which is good as I could also use it).

Very sunny again today which is wonderful!  Swampy woke me up at 4am and had already been up and visited the tray by himself, which is at least good from one point of view! He's been quite hyper though, not resting at all and miaowing a bit and eating more than normal, so something's up. Yesterday he slept a lot, which I thought was the Fortekor.

How many days into taking Fortekor does the CRF spike and how many days until it settles down into something more predictable? (of course his neuro problem is a major complication). I give it at about 10 with a little food. But he ate 1/2 can k/d in one go this morning, which is really unusual - normally 1/2 can on a good (pre accident) day would be in 2 breakfasts over a 3 hour period. 

We are getting those urine pipettes from the vet to use to get water into him today too. Sending big hugs and furry toe tickles to everyone  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #712 on: October 11, 2008, 05:31:13 AM »
Hoping  you all had a good night's rest and hope there is abundance of sunshine today

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #711 on: October 10, 2008, 18:28:02 PM »
Did you manage to get a SAD lamp?

I saw these when I was looking for a reading lamp http://www.amazon.co.uk/CRAFT-LIGHT-COMPANY-SPECTRUM-DAYLIGHT/dp/B00178IHBI/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1223659124&sr=8-31

Not sure if it would be any help?

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #710 on: October 10, 2008, 18:16:42 PM »
pleased you have had sun and lots of cuddles to swampy  :hug:

been dull and very cold here today!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #709 on: October 10, 2008, 10:06:09 AM »
Kate you will be ill if you keep losing sleep.  Try to catnap during the day when Swampy does it will help you catch up.

Glad you all had a good night and wishing lots of sunshine for the brave boy today  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #708 on: October 10, 2008, 09:53:06 AM »
I'm glad things are better today. Maybe you can get another nap in and Swampy can enjoy a mild sunny day  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #707 on: October 10, 2008, 09:33:28 AM »
Hi, yes the sun's almost out here and should await felines at 11! Swampy slept better last night. Possibly the Fortekor 1/4 I don't know. This morning his cold's a bit up but he seems ok. Just had one slightly funny moment when his tail just got fuzzy and his mum got nervous, but is now asleep again so hope all will be well. I got about 4 hours kip (a lot for me lately) so my head feels like it's got cotton wool in it today  :Crazy: (more than usual lol).
A lovely sunny purry day to everyone too  :hug: long may it last!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 09:34:34 AM by swampmaxmum »

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #706 on: October 10, 2008, 09:00:34 AM »
Good morning from sunny Surrey too, hope you have a good day, and that you guys managed to get some rest last night  :hug: :hug: xx

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #705 on: October 10, 2008, 08:58:32 AM »
A very good morning to Swampy and his family. I hope you all had a good nights rest and have a happy day today x :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #704 on: October 10, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »
Kate, hope you all had a peaceful night.  Topping up the healing vibes and the cuddles for Swampy.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #703 on: October 10, 2008, 06:43:42 AM »
Good morning, hope you all had a restful night and have a lovely day  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #702 on: October 09, 2008, 19:00:54 PM »
Kate would it be safe to have Swampy in the bedroom with you with the door closed?  Perhaps if you got him used to it in the daytime?

I don't think so as don't think he'd stay on the bed and would sort of plummet down and not get up again. Plus he'd have to learn a new tray and room. Nice thought though! He's fast asleep now so is planning a wakey wakey around midnight until morning I'd say. I think it's either futon shifts or leaving him alone; Max doesn't cry when Swampy is in trouble. The other way around, yup. Swampy's called me twice when Max got locked in a room.
I so hope and pray that his better days continue too as you can imagine. lots of love and burmese purrs and chin nibbles xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #701 on: October 09, 2008, 18:34:16 PM »
swampy is doing so well, hope it continues for ages  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #700 on: October 09, 2008, 18:14:07 PM »
Kate would it be safe to have Swampy in the bedroom with you with the door closed?  Perhaps if you got him used to it in the daytime?

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #699 on: October 09, 2008, 16:38:14 PM »
I hope his progress today is ongoing, and not just one good day, take things one day at a time hunnie, thats all you can do  :hug:

Hope you manage to get some more sleep tonight as well xxxx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #698 on: October 09, 2008, 16:12:08 PM »
found the bedroom again on his own and the bathroom tray (not the one he's got to use overnight) on his own and is giving himself a bath. I hope it's not just a good day (please!!!!) but the only thing is he can't relax and sleep. He's quite miaowy and restless. I'm wondering if (given the wonders of bio washing powder) I should abandon the futon for 3 -4 hours tonight to get some sleep - tough call. Both he and Max will probably sing loudly if I do too. But just 2 hours last night has made today easier for me. I'd not forgive myself if he needed me though. Maybe we'll repeat last night's shifts!
I asked the chemist for a weaning bottle and she said the ones they keep have the full size teat - was your's a lot thinner like a syringe then? thanks.
big hugs  :hug:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #697 on: October 09, 2008, 16:07:03 PM »
Must have something in my eyes - they have gone all watery reading your last post about the brave Swampy - WTG Swampy - keep it up sweetie xxx  Still sending love, huggles and positive vibes xxx

I hope you all get some sleep tonight xxx :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #696 on: October 09, 2008, 16:03:27 PM »
A weaning bottle is what you want it has a nice long sopout for a better word and it was a godsend with gem in her last couple of days

Ours is a clear plastic bottle with a green top sort of long nozzle - I got mine from vet UK I think and it was cheap to

Hope the boy continues to have better times :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #695 on: October 09, 2008, 15:45:00 PM »
Come on, Swampy young man.  :hug: :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #694 on: October 09, 2008, 15:20:03 PM »
Bless him , he is such a brave boy and a real fighter :Luv2: :Luv2:
Hope things continue to improve and the nights get more restful.
I have Smartie on Fortekor  for his heart condition and he is doing ok and been on it since Feb this year.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: to you all

Link to CatChat