Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404950 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #213 on: September 10, 2008, 22:18:25 PM »
Hope you both have a peaceful night  :hug:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #212 on: September 10, 2008, 21:46:55 PM »
Sleep well swampy  :Luv2:

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #211 on: September 10, 2008, 21:42:44 PM »
Mine do like Olbas too but they tend to wait for the mentholness to die down before rolling around in it!

Have a good night tonight Swampy xx
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #210 on: September 10, 2008, 20:56:14 PM »
Lots of love to you and Swampy - take care as you must be feeling so tired - you are doing so well, Swampy could not be better cared for.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #209 on: September 10, 2008, 20:31:45 PM »
Maybe its just Amber that has a thing about olbas oil then  :evillaugh:. Put it this way when I put in on my pillow when I had a cold I got woken in the night by Amber digging my pillow, drooling, sucking and going totally mad for it.
My family cat, Dalby used to have a thing for it as well.  I came into my room once to find half of the pillowcase soaked in drool, she used to just lie there dribbling and inhaling it...

More vibes for Swampy, it sounds as if he's making gentle progress. Glad that Max isn't avoiding him now.  The steroids probably gave him "false" energy to get up and use the tray - they had a similar effect on the Proot, they seem to have the effect of boosting them along over their crisis point.

A colleague's cat is 17 and went blind over about 6 months.  She struggled initially, but then grew enormous whiskers and copes really well!

« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 22:04:58 PM by Baggy »

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #208 on: September 10, 2008, 20:23:31 PM »
Just popping on to top up the evening cuddles and get well vibes for Swampy.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #207 on: September 10, 2008, 20:21:13 PM »
Sending Love to Swampy....Come on old boy xxxx

Sending you a  :hug: Kate xxx

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #206 on: September 10, 2008, 19:19:39 PM »
Topping up my get well vibes for the little lad  :Luv:  It does sound as he's making slow but sure progress.  The diary is an excellent idea.

Jaffa likes olbas oil too.  If I put that on my pillow he licks it.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #205 on: September 10, 2008, 18:20:02 PM »
Sending lots of top up good vibes for Swampy   :hug: :hug:

I think it will be harder to adjust being deaf and blind and hope that he gets a little bit of sight back cos that will help him. But dont expect miricles too soon  cos think this will all take a while. I am so pleased that he has found Max cos I am sure that will help him a lot.

Think the diary idea is a really good one and to be honest I would want him nesting on the floor now like you have him cos it would be so easy for him to fall.

Keep up the good work  :hug: :hug:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #204 on: September 10, 2008, 17:58:53 PM »
I think with the site its harder for us than them, Sofa's eyes are very misted over now and seeing her at times gets to me but she is happy enough and loving life.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #203 on: September 10, 2008, 17:54:54 PM »
thanks, especially Mrs R for cheering me a bit with Sofa's experience. Every time Swampy wakes up, it's like "why can't I see" which is awful to watch. I hope he adjusts in time. He found deaf v easy, but not it seems blind. (Deaf was following his cholangiohep so he was v ill too).  I've been reading online about deaf and blind cats and how not to move anything in the familiar area. Trouble is, no idea if Swampy will ever be able to make it on to a chair again or if we will have to keep the futon floor bed there permanently (which is fine with me, but OH may need persuading). Swamp is no longer asking for food, but is eating when food is taken to him on the bed. Only 1 pee today though despite water being added to his food. I thought maybe he couldn't be bothered to move, but over the weekend when he peed a lot (steroids still in him) he took himself off to the tray each time. At least he has been so I suppose it's not urgent (?!).

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #202 on: September 10, 2008, 17:39:53 PM »
Maybe its just Amber that has a thing about olbas oil then  :evillaugh:. Put it this way when I put in on my pillow when I had a cold I got woken in the night by Amber digging my pillow, drooling, sucking and going totally mad for it. I tried to push her away and she attacked my hand instead.
I hope Swampys doing ok today
love
Tab

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #201 on: September 10, 2008, 17:21:41 PM »
Sofa is 99% blind sweetie but gets on fine, her main pal is Freddy and he seems to know she is different and has now seemingly adapted to it and brings her in rodents, etc - was sweet at first but now just ewwwwwwwwwww :sick: :evillaugh:  It took her a while but she has adapted well and still charges round the garden.   Every so often she will bump into something but she really does manage well and has quality of life in a big way.

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #200 on: September 10, 2008, 14:48:18 PM »
I think Lilynmitz has had similar experiences to me. All the blind cats I've known have been great at adapting, but having said that they have all gone blind slowly and had other senses which have increaced in time to compensate. I imagine without all the other stuff going on sudden blindness would be terrifying so that alone will take time to adjust to (or hopefully recover from).

I have used karvol plug-ins and Olbas oil before. Olbas do a baby one so I used that. I think Karvol's recommended for babies too.

When Smokey was really bad once I filled a couple of large sturdy bowls with boiling water and popped them in the kitchen with the heating on and door shut to make a steam-room feel. Obv this needs to be supervised but really helped. I also shut him in the bathroom with me whenever I have a bath as the steam really helps him to breathe better.

Best wishes Swamp + Swampmum  :hug:
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline lilynmitz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #199 on: September 10, 2008, 14:36:31 PM »
I've been following the postings on your unhappy story, and really hope Swampy is doing better today.  What a thing for you both to go through. 

I thought I'd let you know that I have an almost blind 8 yo cat - although he was already like this when I got him 6 months ago.  Friends also had a cat that went completely blind.  My Mitz manages really well.  While I do find it sad to think how much more he could get out of life if he could see, his quality of life is generally good.  You soon learn to make the house (and in my case, the garden) safe for them, and there are a few toys he can respond to.  He loves his food, cuddles and body scrubs, he is great pals with his sighted litter mate, (although she does swat him from time to time to stop him treading on her!), and has his favourite spots for sleeping.  Swampy already knows the layout of the house, although he will have to re-learn it again, but if his sight doesn't return fully, all is not lost.

However, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for youo for a full recovery soon. 

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #198 on: September 10, 2008, 12:53:05 PM »
Just popping in with more  :hug: :hug: from me and the boys for you and Swampy. He is such a star and very lucky to have you for his mum. :Luv2:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #197 on: September 10, 2008, 12:08:20 PM »
Topping up with more of  :hug: :hug: for you and Swampy xx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #196 on: September 10, 2008, 11:53:30 AM »
A diary is a great idea, you can then see the improvements that he has made already without focusing on the aspects that haven't improved.  Sending you both another  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #195 on: September 10, 2008, 10:05:42 AM »
I have used Karval in the past

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #194 on: September 10, 2008, 09:54:17 AM »
sounds like he is improving slowly, its been a awful experience for him, even just the fits leave you feeling awful, muscles you've never heard of hurt like anything!

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #193 on: September 10, 2008, 09:53:55 AM »
Our vet suggested olbas oil (one drop on a tissue near but not right beside her) when Summer had what she thought was cat flu or asthma to clear her airway a little. 

:hug: for you :hug: for Swampy x

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #192 on: September 10, 2008, 09:48:30 AM »
I hope Swampy starts to improve soon.
Id be careful of olbas oil as with Amber it acts like cat nip and sends her crazy
love
Tab

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2008, 09:35:39 AM »
Pleased to hear he had a good night.  I think it will be a case of baby steps with Swampy and hopefully eventually things will right themselves.  As I told you on an earlier post my daughter contracted viral encephalitis which caused her brain to swell.  It took three months for normality to return and she was on massive doses of steroids.  I would like to hear that your vet is checking in on you though as it is such a lot to cope with on your own.  If Swampy's sight doesn't return (please God it does) then he will I expect eventually adapt.  It is still early days for such a trauma and you are doing so well.  He is a lucky little man to have you for his mummy.  Please make sure you take care of yourself as well.  :hug: :hug: The diary is a brilliant idea, you will be able to measure his progress accurately and see if there is any pattern to his distress

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2008, 09:30:03 AM »
hello and thank you again for the support for neurotic Swampmum, as it helps me so much  :hug:  Swampy had an ok night. There was 1 small pee in the tray which I think was his and he did drink a bit, so I'm watching and hoping that it's just a change  although unexplained, poss doesn't need the dreaded vet visit. What seems to be freaking him out the most is not being able to see. This morning he was distressed also cos he couldn't find Max (then licked his whole face, nose and mouth when he did find him). He's burmese and they are active cats and has never just slept like Max does or the other oldies I've had before, but always looked to have a look-see if anything needed investigating.  So I'm praying that his vision comes back a little bit, just so he can see a few things to stimulate him and calm him. His sense of smell's not great either with the cold he has, so all 3 senses have been affected now. I've ordered a fan type diffuser and some decongestant essential oils (frankinsense and not sure what) - I spoke to the vet and the co and they seem to think a couple of drops is safe. Maybe olbas oil is too strong??

What a good idea on the diary. I've always kept a food 'n poos one so I'll add his symptoms and improvements to that. The sun's out but I daren't take him outside, poor wee love.
Btw can't see the colour of his eyes any more as they are just big black eyes now.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 09:34:11 AM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2008, 08:38:50 AM »
Topping up the vibes for you today  :cuddle:

I think Sue's suggestion of keeping a diary is an excellent idea, it'll give you a chance to plot Swampy's progress.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2008, 07:43:52 AM »
Just coming on to say morning to you and Swampy, and topping up all of the healing vibes, and positive thoughts for you both.  :cuddle: :cuddle:

Take each day as it comes, to give him that chance to get things back to "normal" - at the moment, I'd guess Swampy's not sure what "normal" is.   I'm sure the vet won't mind if you do want to talk through what's happened since last week, and I'm sure he'd appreciate your concerns about not wanting to stress Swampy out with further visits to the surgery right now if they're avoidable.   :hug:

The brain's an incredible enigma, and capable of amazing things, but any injury needs time to heal.  It's good that you're monitoring him so closely.  You could maybe keep a little diary of his progress throughout each day, then next time you go back to the vet you have some recorded reference points to help chart his recovery.

I think it's good that he reacted when you had a play together, and he had his little journey down the passage, which is excellent.   He's doing well by all accounts.   Hope you have a good day together  :hug: 

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2008, 06:32:10 AM »
Poor Swampy and poor you.  My heart goes out to you but he is fighting and that is a good sign.  I certainly would demand to speak to the vet if you are worried.  Is there any chance he could do a home visit to save stressing Swampy any further?  I hope you all had a restful night and there is improvement this morning.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #186 on: September 09, 2008, 22:49:49 PM »
I do have total confidence in the vet. He's saved Swampy's life twice now. On thursday he involved me in the treatment and let me sit with Swampy until after his afternoon surgery started. It's just that he is a sole prac in a very busy practice so they pass messages on. He's busy because he's the best in the area by a distance. Swamp would not be alive if I'd stayed with the other 2 I tried before. However if I am really worried I'll insist, especially after the wait to see the vet after Swampy's fits. I made my point about that to the vet too. Swamp has calmed down a bit now and has eaten some supper (teaspoon water mixed in) on the futon.  I think he has peed twice today, half as much as normal. It could be due to the excessive peeing he was doing before when the steroids were still in his system but I know it all needs careful watching. I'm just trying to find a balance between stressing him out by taking him to the vets (2 of his 4 fits and the worst ones were in the carrier and at the vets) and getting him medical attention if it's necessary.
Night night all, here's hoping we all get some zzzz  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #185 on: September 09, 2008, 22:12:52 PM »
Yes, also agree you should only speak to the vet and a second opinion would be helpful - if you are not happy thats what you must do to get Swampy better.
Topping up the get well vibes and :hug: :hug: to you all .
Phoebe who i have now had 2 months only did one pee a day when i first got her , its about 2 a day now - i thought it odd she only went once !

Offline HaneyHarperIndyMum (Val)

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #184 on: September 09, 2008, 21:56:00 PM »
Yes, I agree with Gill. 

You NEED to speak to the vet, not the nurse.  If you are not getting the care for your Swampy that you feel you should be getting from your vet, then get another vet.  It is critical that Swampy be getting excellent care right now.   

Swampy may be in great need of IV fluids at this point.  He could go down hill very rapidly if he is not drinking and eating enough to sustain him.

I would get a second opinion and fast. 

I only wish you well my friend and I know this has been so devastating to endure.  Get Well Swampy and stay strong.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #183 on: September 09, 2008, 20:29:46 PM »
If you are really worried insist on speaking to the vet not the nurse.

I think Swampy has done so well but this is all gonna take time and he needs just to rest and settle. Maybe as he isnt moving around much this makes his bodily functions slow down?

Lots of love and cuddles to Swampy and you  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2008, 19:32:48 PM »
If you are worried talk to the vet.  It maybe that he is just scared cos things are different for him? 

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2008, 19:18:07 PM »
I am worried tonight. He has been a lot more agitated and nervy all day today. Big black eyes staring at nothing all day and restless. It's hard to calm him down. He's also only done 1 pee all day. Normally would be about 4 by now. He's had 1 little drink and some wet food but eats a little, moves, then back to plate etc in a very nervous way. I rang the vet (nurse as usual) who said to see that he got water so I gave him 1.5mls in a syringe, plus his wet food, plus he's drunk a bit. Plus she says convenia antibiotic would help, which he had on friday. I don't know what else can do. He's so nervous.

Offline HaneyHarperIndyMum (Val)

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #180 on: September 09, 2008, 19:13:43 PM »
I would call the vet too.  I would be getting worried if no pee in 12 hours.  I hope Swampy pulls through this.  I know this is so hard on you.

Get Well Swampy....sending you some good healing vibes. :Luv:

Catbird

« Reply #179 on: September 09, 2008, 12:16:33 PM »
Dot has always only peed once every 24 hours.  It's more tidal wave than pee, mind.

C.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2008, 12:14:57 PM »
Have only just caught up with this and just wanted to add my love and best wishes to you both. Swampy is a very brave boy and here's hoping he continues to get better each day. Am keeping everything crossed for you both.

Lots of gentle snuggles and kisses to Swampy and  :hug: to you. Dylan and Hobbes send gentle purrs and head butts :Luv:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #177 on: September 09, 2008, 11:45:20 AM »
I did read somewhere, sorry can't remember where, a while ago that every 12 hours is fine

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #176 on: September 09, 2008, 11:43:21 AM »
Topping up the vibes for you and Swampy  :hug: :hug:

With the weeing, my vet has always said to me that over 24 hours I should then consult them. (I@d be more worried though if he was trying to go and can't go as to not going)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #175 on: September 09, 2008, 11:10:35 AM »
one of mine held it for over 24 hours when I wanted a sample but if you are worried you should call the vet, swampy has had a horrible time

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #174 on: September 09, 2008, 11:08:06 AM »
sorry to be neurotic, but how long can they safely go without peeing? He last went yesterday, not sure how late really as can't remember. He's not in any visible distress, just curled up resting.

Link to CatChat