Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 368523 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #2293 on: April 08, 2009, 18:46:16 PM »
Day by day is the best Kate as Swampy changes almost daily.  Best of luck with taking him off the ab's and let's hope it helps him again.  If you can see the difference in him with the smaller steroid dose then go for it.  Hope you can get the vet out to take his bloods.  Did you get any sun?   Hope you all have a restful night and that the Swampster is soon feeling better again  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #2292 on: April 08, 2009, 10:25:47 AM »
The vet said there'd not be a difference between giving him 1 steroid or 1 1/4 but there is. On 1 he is calmer and wees much less often. However he is less active. It's really difficult to make the decision if I give him the extra 1/4 or not, as he is obviously getting weaker with time anyway. (as the vet hardly sees him, all the decisions have to be mine). I think I'm going to have to ask for another home visit after Easter to take bloods. We can't do bloods and bp as Swampy won't allow both! But I need to know how bad his anaemia is I think, as well as his kidney and liver function. At the moment I'm just reacting to him on a day to day basis.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2291 on: April 08, 2009, 00:38:59 AM »
I'm stopping his abx from tomorrow. Am hoping and praying again that he is better from stopping them like he has been before, even if the vet hasn't a clue as to why. We also need warm, sunny weather for him to feel better, which may be a big ask.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2290 on: April 07, 2009, 20:18:37 PM »
Poor boy, hope you can get on top of his cold - it's been wet, windy, sunny, warm, cold here today very changeable.  Hope you managed some warmth and sun.  Let's hope tonight is calm and restful for you all :)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2289 on: April 07, 2009, 16:54:50 PM »
don't know - his wee is so dilute now that it probably wouldn't stain either. I'm more fussed about the hygiene. The carpet no - it's been puked on a hundred times, including poor little boy just now. His Istin came up with his afternoon meal, I think from his cold.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2288 on: April 07, 2009, 15:14:09 PM »
Little poo bum.  Better to poo than wee on the carpet methinks.  Glad he has the confidence to get up and about on his own, enjoy your KK
:)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2287 on: April 07, 2009, 15:08:33 PM »
yes it does, hope it came out up north too  :hug:

I went out briefly to get Swampy's pills and to buy some fruit (heard a rumour that dark kitkat doesn't count as vitamin rich food when you are ill). Swampy found the tray to wee when I was out but not to poo, he pooed on the carpet. What's the best product for safe spot cleaning/disinfecting as I can't do the whole carpet? I have Vanish or Pet Totalcare from Animalcare, which says it's "biological stain remover" so I used that. However I bought it a while ago at the vet and it was £5 a bottle  :Crazy: I put my little one back in his bed and gave him a snack and he's happy and purring again.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2286 on: April 07, 2009, 11:11:41 AM »
Hope you managed  a decent night and get a little sunshine today, always makes everyone feel happier somehow  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2285 on: April 06, 2009, 22:51:37 PM »
Swampy's quite dozy. I don't mind if he sleeps well tonight though as am not feeling too good myself. But I'm not sure that just 1 steroid is quite enough. I'll have to see if he gets the extra 1/4 again tomorrow.
It didn't rain today and he had an hour or two on the bed in what passed for sun but it looks bad for the rest of the week.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2284 on: April 06, 2009, 21:31:25 PM »
Hugs from rainy cold Manchester.  Hope your day was ok despite rotten weather (?) and hope your night is restful and calm  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2283 on: April 06, 2009, 09:18:08 AM »
OH did last night. Swampy was sick in the night from his cold but he ate this morning ok. His cold won't improve with the cool damp weather either.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2282 on: April 06, 2009, 08:38:32 AM »
Just popped on to check for updates.  I hope your night was quiet and calm and also for some sunshine for you today  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2281 on: April 05, 2009, 19:03:56 PM »
Hope he enjoyed his little bit of sunshine and hope he is feeling better.  Have a quiet night :)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2280 on: April 05, 2009, 10:48:04 AM »
lovely sun this morning so I hope he'll want to sit on the bed for a bit. He may even have a little roof adventure, we'll see how warm it is later.
Hope it is sunny for everyone  :hug:

think I will make a last minute decision on the steroids, but am leaning towards lowering the dose to 1 to see what happens really. It's v difficult.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2279 on: April 04, 2009, 19:06:28 PM »
You must be exhausted!  Don't want to say yay or nay on the steroid as only you know Swampy and his little ways.  Whatever you decide hope he had a calmer day and that you all get some zzzzzzz tonight:)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2278 on: April 04, 2009, 09:55:01 AM »
quite a night. He wanted to eat every 1 1/2 hours, so arrived next to me each time. I'm thinking about reducing his steroids to 1 every 48 hours to see if the extra 1/4 makes a difference. All has to be my decision according to the vet. I have until tomorrow to make up my (tired!) mind as today is his non steroid day. And it's raining so hope he will have a nice sleep now this morning.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2277 on: April 03, 2009, 19:09:16 PM »
the sun arrived too late to get any in the flat so none for my boy today :( and the forecast isn't wonderful for tomorrow either. Swampy is a bit jumpy tonight, I think it's the steroids as he is visiting the tray more often too. I hope he's a bit calmer later on.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2276 on: April 03, 2009, 19:06:23 PM »
Just posting to say I hope you had a good day with some sun and that your night time is calm and restful:)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2275 on: April 03, 2009, 14:00:13 PM »
I, too, hope the sun shines for you, wish I could send you some of ours it is brilliant here again today.

Hope you h ave a good day  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2274 on: April 03, 2009, 09:56:50 AM »
 :hug: an Olbas addict?! Not around here, although the replacement chinese vaporiser does at least work!  Swampy was up a lot again and ate probably even more, not sure why, must be his brain activity as lately he's been quieter the second day without a steroid.
Still no sun to report. I hope it breaks through while it can still come into the flat, before 1pm.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2273 on: April 02, 2009, 19:59:36 PM »
I have a vision of garden maniacs carefully dropping a single drop of olbas on an old PG tips bags and plonking them all round their flowerbeds - must look "lovely"  ;)
Keep laughing at this as - if they'd tried that near my Mum and Dad's they'd have found a fat Dalby cat rolling round in their flowerbeds, chewing the teabag, drooling and looking spaced out  :evillaugh:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2272 on: April 02, 2009, 08:55:17 AM »
Swampy had an active night, up every 2 hours or so looking for the tray and food so had to help him with the latter anyhow. He'll probably sleep it off this morning! No sun here at all but I hope tomorrow there will be as it definitely helps him. I'm really hoping more than ever for sunny days.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2271 on: April 02, 2009, 08:23:42 AM »
Morning from sunny Manchester - hope your night was calm and that you h ave lots of sunshine to bask in today :)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2270 on: April 01, 2009, 20:51:33 PM »
Hope you have had a good day?  Sending wishes for a peaceful and restful night for you all  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2269 on: April 01, 2009, 15:26:11 PM »
Clever clever Swampy!  He is getting a little independent which is fantastic.  Hope he enjoys some sun today :)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2268 on: April 01, 2009, 10:21:18 AM »
noooo, my favourite monster is not deterred by having it near his bed, just in his bed was quite a deterrent! I have a vision of garden maniacs carefully dropping a single drop of olbas on an old PG tips bags and plonking them all round their flowerbeds - must look "lovely"  ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2267 on: April 01, 2009, 09:58:25 AM »
When I googled olbas, a few sites recommended it on used teabags in the garden to deter cats.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2266 on: April 01, 2009, 09:55:43 AM »
He's had lots of hugs this morning (same as usual!) as I just conked out between 2 and 6am and he'd got himself up and to the tray and back to bed, didn't ask for food but ate quite well when I fed him at 7. Then he had a freak out as Max was nearly sick on him but he will be taken to the bed for some sun snoozing as it is out here today. Hope with everyone  :hug:
I put the refill under his bedding (Olbas) but he didn't like it so will stick to a drop until I can get an electric plug in burner. thanks for the help.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2265 on: April 01, 2009, 07:18:28 AM »
diffuser has arrived and is quite strong. Do you know anyone if Olbas is safe? It's currently about 2 feet from his nose.
Ps have until tomorrow to find out as the (made in China) vaporiser only worked for 2 mins then conked out. They are sending me a replacement; however may need to try to find a plug in one that I can put on the floor next to him. I can no longer use the ceramic burner as the oil/water mix boils!

It should be ok with just a drop -  I posted lower down this thread that my vet told me to put just a drop near Schui so I used to pop a drop on a tissue and tuck it under the edge of his blanket where he slept so if my vet said to do that it should be fine, not sure about diffusers though she never mentioned those and maybe they are alot stronger.  Hugs to Swampy  :hug:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 07:19:11 AM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2264 on: March 31, 2009, 21:24:08 PM »
I used to put olbas oil in my electric burner for Wizzy when he had an asthma attack or one of his frequent colds and used to put it  about 3' away from him and he never suffered at all  plus sometimes i would put it in boiling water, lasted a shorter time but i found that sometimes a couple of hours were enough,i hope you can get sorted and that Swampy has a peaceful night, :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2263 on: March 31, 2009, 20:29:11 PM »
If we left tissues with olbas Oil lying round one of our cats would suck and chew on them without any ill effects, so it should be ok :doh:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2262 on: March 31, 2009, 19:55:46 PM »
Can't help with the Olbas but perhaps Karvol or something similar that you can use for children might be better?  hope he didn't repeat h is projectile and hope he managed a good day.  Sleep well at the Swampy camp  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2261 on: March 31, 2009, 12:28:28 PM »
diffuser has arrived and is quite strong. Do you know anyone if Olbas is safe? It's currently about 2 feet from his nose.
Ps have until tomorrow to find out as the (made in China) vaporiser only worked for 2 mins then conked out. They are sending me a replacement; however may need to try to find a plug in one that I can put on the floor next to him. I can no longer use the ceramic burner as the oil/water mix boils!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 15:00:11 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2260 on: March 31, 2009, 11:08:26 AM »
He ate so well in the night I thought the warmer weather must have helped. But this morning after he had a drink he did a projectile vomit  - he seems to have found his way to the kitchen while I was asleep and eaten some of Max's dry at some point as it returned with a vengeance. I hope that is it for the day and he'll feel better now. No sun for him to sit in today,  but warmer here.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2259 on: March 31, 2009, 10:49:52 AM »
SOrry to hear the little man is not doing so well with his cold.  Hopefully the weather will warm up and that will help and you will soon receive the vapouriser.  Hope you all had a quiet night and that your day is filled with sunshine  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2258 on: March 30, 2009, 11:02:46 AM »
 :thanks: :hug:
I've ordered the diffuser and will plug it in when it comes, next to his bed. He's battling with the cold and was sick again in the night and is a bit wobbly and eating not as much because he can't smell well. OH left in a rush so we didn't do the fucithalmic this morning, so will have to try on my own (usually this means he gets some smeared on his nose....). I hope the warmer weather will help him like it's done before.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2257 on: March 29, 2009, 22:55:16 PM »
Sending Swampy a bedime kiss X

Hope he sleeps well Kate x

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2256 on: March 29, 2009, 21:10:57 PM »
Schui always suffered with nasal problems and my vet said a drop of Olbas Oil nearby would help, I just put a drop on a tissue and tucked it under the edge of the fleece he was on, it did seem to help him breath easier and loosen the snot a bit.   :hug: for Swampy
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 21:12:39 PM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2255 on: March 29, 2009, 20:51:05 PM »
There is a milder Olbas for children and even a battery operated vaporizer version
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2254 on: March 29, 2009, 20:41:47 PM »
Kate you can also put olbas oil in boiling water it works that way too, but would probably need to be a small room, hope you get sorted and that Swampy has a reasonable night and i will try and send you some sun tomorrow,its been glorious here today, been out in the garden :wow:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Link to CatChat