Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 368449 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #2333 on: April 16, 2009, 07:47:18 AM »
Paddy sending a big "PPppfffppppTTTttt" to Swampy this morning.   :)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2332 on: April 16, 2009, 07:43:38 AM »
Good morning Swampy household.  Hope you had a good night.  Hope you get some of this evasive sunshine today and have a quiet and calm time.  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2331 on: April 15, 2009, 16:25:38 PM »
Hope Swampy has managed to perk up his appetite.  Hugs and love for a quiet day and calm night  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #2330 on: April 15, 2009, 09:11:44 AM »
No sign of any hot days here as yet!  As Swampy can only get sun on the bed until end April from 11am - 1pm, hope it hurries up! He is not feeling too well today  - since last night he won't really eat anything, just a half hearted nibble. Very sudden so I assume his tum is sore. He tried (without much success) to eat some green plant and I gave him a pepcid at 7 so hope it works. Always a worry when this happens as he has been eating about 2 cans in every 24 hours.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2329 on: April 14, 2009, 22:57:05 PM »
Don't know about your area but the forecast here is much warmer and sunny tomorrow  ;D (followed by 2 days of rain  :( )
The news said tomorrow is going to be the hotest day this year. Hope Swampy and you enjoy the sun.x

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2328 on: April 14, 2009, 22:20:44 PM »
Well hope the sun shines on you tomorrow.  HOpe your night is calm and peaceful too  :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2327 on: April 14, 2009, 19:03:19 PM »
Don't know about your area but the forecast here is much warmer and sunny tomorrow  ;D (followed by 2 days of rain  :( )
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2326 on: April 14, 2009, 18:39:50 PM »
results will be thursday or friday as the bloods only get to the lab tomorrow. Swampy is quite slow today, a bit senior. We could both use some sunshine I think.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2325 on: April 14, 2009, 14:13:20 PM »
Glad the vet managed to get some blood from Swamps, when do you get the results?  Hope you all have a quiet day and that Clapton's bloods get done with the least amount of stress to all concerned  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2324 on: April 14, 2009, 13:32:14 PM »
a spot where Clapton feels relaxed

Thanks K but I don't think there is anywhere Clapton is completely relaxed. I am sticking to the dining room as he never goes in there thesedays. I was going to use the kitchen table but he likes to sleep in on of the cupboard sometimes.

Glad it went well for Swampy  :hug:

My vet is due around 2pm  :scared:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2323 on: April 14, 2009, 12:51:32 PM »
 :evillaugh:  Way to go Swampy!   Don't go under without a fight!   

"we shall fight in the fields
and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender......."

Glad it went off well Kate.  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2322 on: April 14, 2009, 12:45:10 PM »
Swampy was taken by surprise as he was asleep and at the second attempt, the vet got a bit of blood - not enough for glucose but for full biochem it should be ok. It doesn't work on the table (too stressful), so he gets put on the futon mattress, the senior nurse holds his head (he's broken a needle or two in his time with jerking his head) and the vet works quickly. The vet always says oh Swampy's naughty and wriggly, to which we reply (OH is off this week so was here too) that Swampy's been through a lot and it's not surprising if he puts up a fight on that! But afterwards the vet gave him a cuddle and my boy's back asleep. He walked slowly and very deliberately afterwards away from where the vet was sitting, back to Max and his bed, much to everyone's amusement.

good luck Mark - only tip is to choose a spot where Clapton feels relaxed (ie not the top of the table) although it should be easier as Clapton's not blind.  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2321 on: April 14, 2009, 11:58:24 AM »
Good luck today Kate - I have the same thing here. The vet is coming alone to try to take Clapton's bloods this afternoon. I will play VN for James the vet  :naughty:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2320 on: April 14, 2009, 11:38:01 AM »
waiting for the vet this morning. I hope Swampy will allow him to take bloods this time- the senior nurse is coming to hold his head!  We really need to know what his bloods are. They've not been done properly since mid December which is a long time for him.

I woke up at 5am to find him walking on my legs on the futon, which was a lovely way to be woken if you're going to be.  Some sun came out this morning, then thought better of the idea and it's dry but grey today.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2319 on: April 13, 2009, 19:01:52 PM »
Oh Swampy boy, come on love.  I am wishing you some lovely warm sunshine.  Hope your cold soon goes away and you feel better :)  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2318 on: April 13, 2009, 12:39:49 PM »
It's a bit brighter but too late now to get any sun on Swampy in this stupid flat and probably not warm enough to take him outside as his cold has tuned up. He is making glob noises when he swallows. He got up a lot in the night for no real reason. He's also turning right too much, so I hope he will feel better later on.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2317 on: April 12, 2009, 22:12:54 PM »
It has been absolutely gorgeous here today very warm and sunny!  Wish I could post you some.  Hope he is ok and has had a good day, also hope your night is peaceful.  Will pm you tomorrow, arms sore!  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2316 on: April 12, 2009, 11:30:17 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

bring us sunshine!!!! it's so gloomy and damp with the same forecast all week :(

Swampy is not quite as good today as yesterday but isn't too bad. I'm so hoping he can hold steady for quite a while, no more abs for a bit.

Lots of love to you too from da SwampMax (in bed, Swampy's head on Max's tum and zzzz noises).xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2315 on: April 12, 2009, 10:34:29 AM »
Bring him sunshine
Bring him fun days
Bring him adventures
Bring him calm
My wish for you today and always Swampy  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2314 on: April 12, 2009, 08:16:03 AM »
Im so happy for you and Swampy it must be lovely to watch him and Max play fighting, and as you say the cuddles and purrs make it all worth while, i hope it continues today and that you may hopefully get some sun to help :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2313 on: April 12, 2009, 00:21:30 AM »
Whatever happens tomorrow (or today - it's past midnight) he had a much better day. He had a little paw bat with Max in bed this morning too. It makes me so happy to see that. Plus when he sits on my lap with his front paws over my arm and his bald navel showing and purrs like a burmese tractor for me while I kiss his tufty head, well that is the very definition of happiness. It makes all the nursing worthwhile.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2312 on: April 11, 2009, 18:01:35 PM »
There you go the hero triumphs again.  WTG Swampy sweetheart :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2311 on: April 11, 2009, 14:40:11 PM »
Im glad hes doing better today,im just sorry we cant send you any sunshine to make it even better for you all but hopefully tomorrow will be, hope your day is filled with calm :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2310 on: April 11, 2009, 12:03:50 PM »
OH was in here last night and says Swampy had a better night. This morning he's been out of bed, found his tray and got himself back to bed, which is all good. It's cool and rainy here so I'm hoping you are right and tomorrow and monday etc etc are much sunnier! He has a steroid to have at 1.30 again today and I'm just going to go back to the previous dose again, even if it means the first night is a bit too active. I also weighed him this morning and he's not lost any more (still 4.7kgs). So it's his brain that seems to be the main problem, his vestibular problem which comes and goes. As long as he is happy, that's what I'm here for.
have a lovely weekend everyone and furries xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2309 on: April 11, 2009, 08:16:24 AM »
Great news, hope you get as much sunshine as is possible and that you all have a wonderful day with some little adventures and lots of purry headbutts.  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #2308 on: April 11, 2009, 07:48:21 AM »
Morning Kate im so glad Swampy is feeling a bit better, hopefully the sun will come out for him today,topping up the positive vibes for him and hugs to you all :hug: :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #2307 on: April 10, 2009, 23:19:58 PM »
Not supposed to be too good tomorrow in my area ( Lincolnshire) but Sunday is supposed to be warm and sunny .
Hope Swampy is better tomorrow and gets lots of sun in the next few days.
Glad he is a bit better and eaten well.
Hope you have a good night -always top up the Swampy stay -well vibes every night for him :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2306 on: April 10, 2009, 23:02:57 PM »
Little Swampy had a slightly better afternoon and has certainly eaten all right. I'm so hoping that he feels better tomorrow and also that the sun comes back out as I think it helps him. thanks for your thoughts for him  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #2305 on: April 10, 2009, 14:05:55 PM »
Sorry to hear Swampy,s not doing so well ,sending lots of positive vibes that its just a blip :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2304 on: April 10, 2009, 11:52:05 AM »
pulling hard and sending buckets full of positive love to Swampy from Manchester mates  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2303 on: April 10, 2009, 10:09:15 AM »
 :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #2302 on: April 10, 2009, 10:06:03 AM »
 :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2301 on: April 10, 2009, 10:04:37 AM »
He's still not good. He had a brief blip of good at 5am but was up at 1, 3 and 7 as well and particularly at 7 he wasn't well. Please pull hard for him that he improves as he has done so before xx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2300 on: April 09, 2009, 23:54:04 PM »
Perhaps it is just his body adjusting to the different dose Kate? Its good that he had a little walk though.  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2299 on: April 09, 2009, 23:19:18 PM »
Swampy is weak tonight and just went over 7 hours without a wee which is really long for him. We went for a little walk to try to get his leggies moving and he enjoyed it, but he has spent most of the day sleeping or resting. It really is sudden (or since stupid mother downed the steroid dose, i wish I hadn't). He has been so good recently, now I am worried sick again.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2298 on: April 09, 2009, 17:49:47 PM »
Glad to hear that the vet is coming on Tuesday (hopefully).  If it is the anaemia that is making him tired (and not just old age?) no doubt he will be able to give him some sort of supplement.

Hope he has a lovely rest of the day and you all have a quiet night  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2297 on: April 09, 2009, 13:45:10 PM »
just looked at the 1/8th pill (the cutter's a marvel) and thought what the heck....so have just gone back to his old dose of 1 1/4 pills when things were reasonable. The worst that can happen is he becomes a lot more active while still needing a lot of help with his vestibular problems, until such time as (please God) he stops turning left and goes straight or gently right again, when everything is so much easier. I just thought perhaps the steroids would lessen the pressure (if that is what it is) in that area of the brain. He's been so good until 2 weeks ago when I put him back on abs, then was so much better within 24 hours until 3 or 4 days ago. So no, I won't panic but it's upsetting as I know how good he can still be. 4 days ago he was arriving next to me in the night and demanding food and not needing any help to find stuff. He is quite happy and contented in himself and right now he and the Max are mutual grooming and he's had a mega purr, but it cuts down on his adventures which I think is so important for him.

I spoke to the vet's nurse and they are going to try for tuesday next week if the vet isn't too busy. That will be good as OH has the week off so can also ask questions. Thanks for all the good wishes for my little old man  :hug: Next thursday he will be 17 1/2 years old. I've been home with him mostly since I became unwell 20 years ago, so it's a lifetime of him supporting me and payback time now.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2296 on: April 09, 2009, 11:08:15 AM »
Bucketsful of vibes and prayers and hope - hang on in there and don't panic.  He usually pulls round cos he is a little fighter.  If he is purry and washing Max then he isn't feel wretched.  Maybe just an off day:)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2295 on: April 09, 2009, 10:51:07 AM »
Sending You both lots of love xxxx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2294 on: April 09, 2009, 09:08:38 AM »
He's weaker, sleepier and calmer on the reduced dose, but he hasn't had the bounce from stopping the abs (none since tues pm, when his 2 wk course ended) which is upsetting.  The vet didn't want to give him laurabolin in case it hyped him up, his bp etc, but I can't help feeling that the higher dose of steroids masks his anaemia. I must try to get bloods done next week to see where we are with him. Poor little boy must be feeling va va voom enough for a little adventure a day, but not upset by being too buzzy.
So I'm going to attempt the v difficult - to cut pred into 1/8ths (have a new pill cutter) and try him on 1 1/8th this time around.

Please send hopes and prayers, whichever, that he improves as he's not too good right now. As MM says, he can change rapidly so have to keep hoping and keep calm with him. He is not unhappy at all - v purry and cleaning Max - just weaker and not walking well, needing help after finding his tray. Just a few days ago he was much better. It is such a rollercoaster for me.

Link to CatChat