Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 368005 times)

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
Re: Swampy: it is his time now
« Reply #3053 on: November 13, 2009, 12:54:53 PM »
Thinking of you and Swampy with tears in my eyes.  I hope his passing is peaceful for both of you  :hug:  :hug:
Fly away Swampy and go play your brother Max at the bridge.

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3052 on: November 13, 2009, 12:51:56 PM »
Whatever happens come back and chat Swampmaxmum, we are all fans of the Great  :Luv2: Swampy and  his mum now and all concerned that his mummy will be well too, so don't be alone should Swamps have to give up his noble fight and leave for the Rainbow Bridge. Your attachment to each other will re-unite you both again one day of that I am sure. So please keep talking to us all so that we can be sure that you get some hugs  :hug: :hug: from us all as you go through the next phase. Dont be alone in your grief when the time comes. But may you both have every precious second possible together.  :scared:

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #3051 on: November 13, 2009, 12:41:45 PM »
Thinking of you today.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3050 on: November 13, 2009, 12:33:15 PM »
(((((((((( KATE))))))))))

All my thoughts are with You and Swampy....

I pray that his final journey is peaceful

Love and hugs to You Kate

xxxxx

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #3049 on: November 13, 2009, 11:16:07 AM »
Thinking of you both :hug:

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #3048 on: November 13, 2009, 11:07:38 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #3047 on: November 13, 2009, 10:59:15 AM »
So sorry to hear this news Kate  :hug:

Wishing Swampy a very peacefull passing and Im sure his brother will be waiting for him up on the bridge  :)

Good night God bless Swampy xxx
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3046 on: November 13, 2009, 10:55:22 AM »
sending lots of love to you and swampy, my thoughts are with you today  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #3045 on: November 13, 2009, 10:51:46 AM »
Hun my love and thoughts will be with you both.  :'( :hug: He will always be with you. Right in your heart, whenever you need him he will be there.  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3044 on: November 13, 2009, 10:32:21 AM »
My thoughts are with you and Swampy today.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #3043 on: November 13, 2009, 09:50:23 AM »
 :hug: :hug:
I don't know what to say

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3042 on: November 13, 2009, 09:30:58 AM »
You're right, Kate. There'll never be another Swampy, just as they'll never be another of any of the fur babes lost. But that doesn't mean Swampy's leaving you.

I hope that Swampys passing is peaceful and that you realise how amazingly strong you are to let him go when you feel it's his time. :care:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:31:24 AM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3041 on: November 13, 2009, 09:28:37 AM »
Kate we will be thinking of you and Swampy today, you have fought a very long and brave fight and done a wonderful job

Swampy will be reunited with Max and together they leave you golden memories :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #3040 on: November 13, 2009, 09:27:17 AM »
Thinking of you both  :hug: :hug: :hug:
People Power Works!!!

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3039 on: November 13, 2009, 09:24:28 AM »
My thoughts are with Swampy and you  :hug: :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3038 on: November 13, 2009, 09:18:05 AM »
you are in my thoughts Kate, I'm sure that Swampy will pass peacefully - he isn't leaving you, you have years of memories which won't go anywhere  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3037 on: November 13, 2009, 09:17:35 AM »
I am so sorry Kate and I pray that Swampy's journey to the Bridge is a peaceful one.  He is a much much loved cat and he knows that and has been secure in that knowledge and that, I am certain, has helped him pull through all his ups and downs over the last 14 months.  He is tired now and has let you know what you need to do.  My thoughts are with you and we both had a cry together this morning.  Swampy is such a special special cat and I am so happy that I had the opportunity to meet him along with Max.  He will leave a big dent in your heart and will be missed by everyone.  Safe and peaceful journey Swampy I love you lots  :hug:
and for you Kate  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #3036 on: November 13, 2009, 09:08:38 AM »
Swampy suddenly deteriorated last night. He went into a coma like sleep for hours, not able to be roused. Then at 4am he woke up and I had to help him go to the tray. I found that he'd wet where he lay. He lay quietly next to me all night in front of his heater and at one point put his head on my face, thinking it was his pillow. I have told him to his little brown tufty head how loved he is inasmuch as I am able to tell him about love that is that strong. He has told me that he is now tired and it is his time. The vet is coming this afternoon around 1.30, I will know later.  I can't see to type. Thank you so much to everyone for your support these long 14 months of my nursing Swampy. I just hope I have repaid a tiny bit of the love and care that he's given me for 18 years. Please hope and pray that his passing will be peaceful.
There will and can never be another Swampy.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3035 on: November 12, 2009, 15:42:13 PM »
OUCH!!!  :( :hug:

Sending much love and positive vibes Swampy's direction, hope he gets the extra energy he need through his steriods!  :Luv2: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #3034 on: November 12, 2009, 13:56:43 PM »
I was the same with Max. Although it's the most terrible decision, you are sure that it's right and there's a crumb of comfort and a lot of relief in that.

Swampy's symptoms change daily. If his lack of energy is due to anaemia, that is treatable. We want more info before deciding. Vet said we could put him in hospital on IV for 4 days and his CRF would pick up for a month but we decided that was too much for him. I'm trying to keep him at home.  My one big fear is something happens over a weekend and we have to go to the horrible vet who mistreated Max at the emergency vets.

Just did his sub cuts and stuck the needle right through my thumb  :Crazy:

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3033 on: November 12, 2009, 13:34:49 PM »
I think he'd like more energy.  When his steroids kick in, he is much happier. The vet knows we only try stuff that has a good chance of improving his quality of life.  Everything hinges on his quality of life.

In fact he is now on less treatment than before as we scale back to keep him from being poked with meds and he has injections at home when possible, which he sleeps through!  Our feeling is that although he has a short time left to live, he is still fighting and wanting to live. I've told him - I tell his head every day - that it is ok if he wants to give up now. 
I pray and really do think that we will know. We have an extremely close bond.

Steroids are wonderful things....its my answer to everything now.

I'm glad that you feel he still wants to live  :hug:

My one fear with Issey was not knowing when the time was right but believe Me i have no regrets at all....the day she was pts was the right day, it wasnt too late or too early

xxxx

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3032 on: November 12, 2009, 13:23:00 PM »
is there any food Swampy would love if his enjoyment of it was the only thing that mattered?

I think I would want to let him have what he would enjoy without anything added to it, or anything administered with it
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #3031 on: November 12, 2009, 13:22:33 PM »
I think he'd like more energy.  When his steroids kick in, he is much happier. The vet knows we only try stuff that has a good chance of improving his quality of life.  Everything hinges on his quality of life.

In fact he is now on less treatment than before as we scale back to keep him from being poked with meds and he has injections at home when possible, which he sleeps through!  Our feeling is that although he has a short time left to live, he is still fighting and wanting to live. I've told him - I tell his head every day - that it is ok if he wants to give up now. 
I pray and really do think that we will know. We have an extremely close bond.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3030 on: November 12, 2009, 13:08:45 PM »
Its so difficult knowing what to do  :hug:

What do you think Swampy wants to do Kate ? You are so connected with him that in your heart you must know the answer
Do you think he has had enough now - or do you think he wants you to keep trying different things ?

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #3029 on: November 12, 2009, 13:02:18 PM »
He's very tired but I think responded a little bit to the increased potassium. He's found his tray easily a couple of times, even though we moved its location.  I stopped kaminox in favour of Tumil K about 3 weeks ago and I think the lack of iron hasn't helped him. Kaminox is more likely to cause vomiting than tumil K but I'm going to try both. It's tricky when most food is with binder though.

Vet said I can try cornflour to thicken blended renal food as I mixed dry and wet k/d and although it is thick all right, Swampy thinks it is disgusting and he'd be right.

We have to decide whether to try Epogen, EPO, treatment is common in America but my vet's only used it twice in 13 years. So not sure he'd be too clued up on monitoring how it's working either as apparently that is mighty difficult.  I've had only 1 hour's sleep for 4 nights so the decision bounced at me is not good news.  OH says to email back and ask that the pros and cons, given Swampy's current bloods, be explained. I hope that happens.  Swampy is too tired, but whether it's because he's awake all night, a side effect of zithromax, anaemia or just old age we don't know.  I sent the vet the link to Tanya's CRF site which has a lot of interesting but confusing info and of course each cat's different. I just want to keep him comfy and not make things worse - or ignore the possibility of improving his quality of life in his last days.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 13:02:59 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #3028 on: November 12, 2009, 10:05:28 AM »
How is the swampster today  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3027 on: November 11, 2009, 15:24:15 PM »
Cor that's a right lot for you to work out!!! Hope Swampy is feeling brighter today....Lots of love and good wishes from us all!  :Luv2: :hug:

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3026 on: November 11, 2009, 14:59:31 PM »
Hope you get answers to all those questions Swapmaxmum. Hope little Swampy is doing well today.  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #3025 on: November 10, 2009, 19:20:00 PM »
He's a little more anaemic but otherwise the same as last time. However is weaker which the vet thinks is potassium. I have to get double his current amount of potassium down him. Could use some ideas as:

- potassium on an empty tum makes him sick as it irritates the stomach lining.
- potassium is chewed up and nullified by binders
- Swampy has binders in all the food he eats in the afternoon and evenings; he doesn't have binder with the renal food in the mornings but already has potassium in that and it does tend to be less and more likely to be vomited than afternoon or evening
- the Tumil K and kaminox need a fair bit of food to be mixed in as the one is a lot of powder and the other 2mls liquid and his meals are all small
- potassium needs to be given 2 hours either side of binder sooooo

mornings or at night but with food so that he doesn't vomit. The vet said to try 5mls of a/d without binder during the night but if anyone has any ideas.....it can't be given by injection sadly.

I asked about Epogen and he said he'd look into it as it may help. The time frame for any problems is about 3- 4 months, IF they occur. It is very unlikely that Swampy has 3- 4 months anyhow. He said it can lead to anaphylaxis but I've not read anything about that on Tanya's CRF site. (????)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 19:22:23 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3024 on: November 10, 2009, 02:43:45 AM »
Ahh! 40mls sounds much better!  ;D hope the new abs work on his snottiness and best of luck for his blood test results....Thinking of you both,,, Im sure you will work the food/meds out, your rather good at juggling methinks!  ;) :Luv2: :hug:

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3023 on: November 09, 2009, 23:50:35 PM »
Poor little Swampy, what a shame the vet could not come out to him. I hope he bears up.  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #3022 on: November 09, 2009, 18:53:23 PM »
no it was ok, thanks. We're going for 40mls sub cuts a day. Also Zithromax antibiotic to see if it can help the snotty symptoms without any unpleasant side effects. I hope not as one pill lasts a week so presumably stays in his body a long time. Still waiting to hear about the bloods. Only the anaemia etc was done, not his urea and creatinine again as they were done last week.
What is tricky is juggling food and meds so that the meds aren't given near the food (renalzin binds with all meds, the vet and Bayer are sure). Little chap is very tired as doesn't enjoy going down there to the vet. His tail went fuzzy today he was so stressed.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3021 on: November 09, 2009, 15:32:12 PM »
Hope the vet never gave you a rapping over the subs Kate....Thinking of you both today!  :Luv2: :hug:

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #3020 on: November 08, 2009, 18:31:13 PM »
Good luck for tomorrow!  :Luv:

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3019 on: November 08, 2009, 18:04:04 PM »
Hope all goes well for you and Swampy tomorrow.  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3018 on: November 08, 2009, 15:51:55 PM »
Tons of positive vibes for Swampy at the vets~~~~Best of luck for his bloods!  :Luv2: :hug: :hug:

100mls of subs a day to what he was put down to does sound too much, hey Kate if you followed every part of what vets have said to you Im sure there would of been more up's and down's in this...I think you know your Swampster enough now!  ;) :hug: :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #3017 on: November 08, 2009, 15:33:26 PM »
Hope everything goes well at the vets tomorrow - wish you had a better and more understanding one though  :hug: :hug: :hug:
Lots of healing vibes for Swampy from us all here  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #3016 on: November 08, 2009, 13:44:57 PM »
He's going back to the vet tomorrow for more bloods as he wouldn't let them take 2mls last time. Plus a re-assessment of sub cuts. I can't give him 100ml a day. The locum said it would flood him and I am too scared to do it. Vet will be annoyed etc.
We are going to try another ab that is supposed to work well on snotty issues. That is the key for Swampy. If his nose/swallowing muck is better, everything else follows. If not, then everything deteriorates.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3015 on: November 07, 2009, 13:54:46 PM »
So sorry to read that you have been so ill for such a long time Kate!  :hug: :hug:

Here's wishing you both the very best of times ahead, much ease in his eating and keeping his meds down and most of all sun vibes for the man himself!  :Luv2: :hug:

Thinking of you all!  :Luv2: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #3014 on: November 07, 2009, 12:33:09 PM »
Thanks and choccy purrs to you all for saying that and for your ongoing support  :hug: I promise you that anything I do for him is a zillionth of what he has given me in his 18 years. I've never known a cat like him and have had cats all my life. I know I never will either.  He went missing for a week when he was 18 months old too. I am so blessed that I got him back that time and we've shared our lives (and continents) for as long as we have.

He's not having one of his better days today but is enjoying the bit of sun (soon to disappear though :( ). I am so grateful for a lovely morning's sun for him when he isn't feeling well.  Please send him your vibes that he will pick up later on.
I've decided to keep giving him a/d but with binder in it as he seems weaker on the renal NF and doesn't like it much either. Does anyone actually know the difference (in how well it works) between aluminium hydroxide and renalzin? I've read a US site which suggests you can't really OD a cat on AH but not sure about renalzin? He has so many tiny meals and a/d can't be left out or it goes off so I can't just mix in one pump of renalzin and leave it for hours. So will have to put a tiny bit into each meal.

I am not a fan of fortekor (think it only works on some cats and then it does work well) but the diet thing is wow. His phosphorus was well within normal range on renal food until he was switched to a/d and I was told not to worry for the moment about binders. Within a month or so it's gone to quite a way above normal.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 12:39:04 PM by swampmaxmum »

Link to CatChat