Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 368446 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #2413 on: May 13, 2009, 13:19:06 PM »
We had a reasonable night, but he is stressed by not having Max to sleep with. He's not walking very well again as a result. But very purry and eating v well when I help him. Laura looked after him this morning for 2 hours and she said how sweet he was too.  Please send prayers and vibes for both my boys as they are so dependent on each other.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2412 on: May 12, 2009, 12:30:33 PM »
I put a little toy seal in his bed and he tried to lick it, thinking it may be Max, but he then realised that it isn't. (his mum burst into tears when he did that, the feeble old sheep that I am).  I've left it in there though for some extra company. I'm trying to decide if I leave him lying on the new bed, which is quite thick and fleecy, or if I put that underneath and the heatpad on top of it (it won't stay flat, but don't imagine that's too serious), then Swampy's grot old vetbed which smells even more of Max on top of that, so it would still be soft (the new bed only had him on it for 1 night). The only thing is the new bed is puffy so he sinks into it in his own space. The old bedding arrangement was quite flat with the heatpad and maybe he may notice he's alone more (??).
He woke up and wandered around, tried to poo and didn't (he went last night but his tum's hard; I emailed the vet about that too) and had a good purr when I cuddled him. He did seem a bit disoriented and actually walked all the way into the kitchen and wee'd in Max's tray.

Don't know about Laura but if I have to go out for a few hours, I may call her and see if she is available as right now don't want Swampy to be alone much. Already this morning he's slept less and walked around far more than he usually does.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 13:00:11 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2411 on: May 12, 2009, 11:22:14 AM »
How is Swampy doing today?  Hope he is feeling ok and calm.  HOpe too that he can settle without Max around him for a while xx :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2410 on: May 11, 2009, 11:09:22 AM »
my lovely boy sends them back to yours  :hug: :hug:
He's so good and loving and he helps me so much. The sun's out but I think it's too windy to take him out which is lousy news as no sun comes into our flat anymore until autumn. It just hits the roof and the windowsill. Swampy's too nervy to sit on a window sill these days even if I hold him. His cold's bad and his coat feels a bit more fluffy and loose than it used to (age? ) although is still soft and silky.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2409 on: May 11, 2009, 07:04:57 AM »
Sending Swampy snuzzles this morning.    :care:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2408 on: May 10, 2009, 18:40:27 PM »
Positive vibes for Swampy~~~~~You are having it tough of late with both the boys being poorly!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2407 on: May 10, 2009, 13:00:36 PM »
Poor Swampy's tum isn't that good today. He pooed this am, then I took him out on the roof a couple of hours later but 15 mins later he became v agitated so we brought him in, only for him to fire out some more missiles!  He likes k/d and I'm sure it's fine for his kidneys but certain batches of it seem to make him a bit like that. Anyhow will try to take him out later when hopefully he can get his vitamin D in a more relaxed way.

The opposite neighbour saw us out there and gave me a funny look, I just hope there won't be any complaints.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2406 on: May 09, 2009, 17:06:17 PM »
I gave the 1 1/4 very carefully today. He seems perkier than the last 2 days which may be that gobby ones aren't as strong (?!). No sun as promised today so let's hope for some and no wind tomorrow so he can have a little roof adventure.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2405 on: May 08, 2009, 17:17:48 PM »
I think he will be ok re the steroid.  Check with the vet though.  I think it is absolute stopping of them that causes the problem.  If worried give him another quarter which probably wont do him any harm :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2404 on: May 08, 2009, 16:19:58 PM »
 :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2403 on: May 08, 2009, 16:13:46 PM »
I forgot to ask! Too many other qs.  Think I'll just have to be more careful when I give them. Swampy may have to go back on abs if his cold doesn't clear if the weather warms up this weekend (forecast but who knows) or obviously if he runs a fever. He was so upset with Max not here ("where's my pillow?"), he is so different from Max. Max came home with a shaved tum and smelling all 'vet-ty' - not a Swampy hiss or care in sight, just happy to curl up with him again, bless him.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2402 on: May 08, 2009, 07:13:09 AM »
Am not sure Kate.  Might be worth checking with the vet today when you go with Max.  Am sending special Swampyhugs in the meantime.   :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2401 on: May 07, 2009, 20:28:39 PM »
I'm not sure that Swampy got his full steroid dose today. I know I found the 1/4 (he gets 1 1/4) all gobbed up in his bed and gave it to him again. I shook out the bed, but couldn't find the single tab. But he's behaving like he's not had it - but can't give it again. As he only gets it every 48 hours now, it makes a missed dose quite difficult. Do you know if steroids stay in the body, as I know it's meant to be dangerous not to give a dose and just stop?

He is so snorty, I may have to give him the abs again tomorrow. He's not had any for a whole month.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2400 on: May 07, 2009, 10:34:19 AM »
big  :thanks: for the messages for my special Swamp one. He was upset in the night, sat up crying, as Max wasn't in the bed with him (M was sort of sleeping next to me). Luckily the lure of the heatpad was such that Max did go back which calmed them both down, but I had to cuddle Swampy at 4am for a while (big purrs reward for me) as he was distressed. I must cuddle him more today and hope Max understands he can't have 100% of my time....he is so siamese in character our Max lad.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2399 on: May 07, 2009, 08:11:18 AM »
Hope you managed some sleep Kate and hope, too, that both your fur babies are ok this morning:) :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2398 on: May 07, 2009, 06:50:54 AM »
Kate, hoping you've managed to get some rest overnight, and sending big hugs for you and the boys. 

:shify:  Aunty Kate - dis for Swampy an'fer Max - PppprrfffpppPPPttt!  :shify:
Paddy xxx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2397 on: May 06, 2009, 22:31:17 PM »
thanks  :hug:  I have to attack the chocmonster's eye with fucithalmic as there's a bit of pus coming out. Otherwise he's been all right today. He hasn't got quite as much time devoted to cuddles as usual because I've been out with Max and having to spend a lot of time with Max. I'm hoping for a peaceful night as am so tired.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2396 on: May 06, 2009, 07:29:40 AM »
I really feel for you Kate, its hard enough with 1 cat that is unwell but 2 together must be so hard,i bet you are so tired and worried,i wish i could help,try to keep your chin up and be positive :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2395 on: May 05, 2009, 13:59:37 PM »
(as per Max's thread) no sleep at all, far too wired. Swampy is snorting all the time and I gave him his steroids so badly that he foamed. Not sure how much he got. Then he wouldn't eat much either. But he's been ok this morning and had a little snooze in a sun puddle on the bed. It's really difficult when they are both unwell.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2394 on: May 04, 2009, 19:05:39 PM »
Hope the day continued well for you all and that the night time gives you some quiet to sleep:) x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2393 on: May 04, 2009, 10:05:12 AM »
sorry about that, will pm later  :hug:

Things are not too bad with our Swampy this morning. He's asleep. OH did last night and think had to get up a few times for food, which is a good sign anyhow. Having probs with Max, will start his own thread!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2392 on: May 04, 2009, 09:48:46 AM »
SOrry not posted have been just off the wall and unable to focus on anything.  Hope all is well in the Swampy camp  :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2391 on: May 03, 2009, 10:16:07 AM »
So pleased that he is ok, you need to rest. Hope you feel better by tomorrow. x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2390 on: May 03, 2009, 09:23:21 AM »
Swampy seems ok today, thanks. Right now he's having a lovely sleep. I'm ok, just v tired. Hope Paddy and everyone is having a warm and sunny weekend  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2389 on: May 03, 2009, 07:25:10 AM »
How's Swampy today Kate?  And how're you?  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2388 on: May 02, 2009, 22:01:53 PM »
You poor things, I am sure he just got a little too hot and you did everything right and cooled him down again.  Hope everyone has been ok today and that you are feeling better.  Lots of sleep tonight hopefully:)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2387 on: May 02, 2009, 16:24:48 PM »
I know, me darling.  And I know how much you've had to deal with.  Just saying, don't be too hard on yourself.  And sending a cooling snuzzle for Swampy.   :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2386 on: May 02, 2009, 16:18:43 PM »
It was sun seeking that caused his accident in the first place last September so I panicked a bit, thinking sun seeking just does him harm (I know he needs vit D and some sun, but not heatstroke). I did what the internet suggested - wipe him with a cool cloth - and although he feels a bit warm, he does seem ok in that he's had another snack and is zzzzing with his head on Max's tum.  I'm not going anywhere as am still a bit flu-ey. I must order him a mini tower fan to cool his bed area as this room gets too hot. We have a pedestal blade-type fan which would work well if he could see but he tried walking around it and got confused as it's a 'new' impediment. I've been amazon'ing and if anyone has any opinions on something small, that works (ionizer too would be good for his snuffles) and can be left on for hours and is quiet..let me know please. Also must be bump proof ie not fall over or he'd hurt his nose if he walked into it, which rules out the blade type ones at floor level.  I could put a blade desk fan on the table above his bed but not sure how much cool air would go down to his bed area (?).

American neighbour says you can get cool pads for cows to lie on in America (she's a farm girl!) and she wonders if you can't get them for cats.. anyone heard of anything like that? Like the opposite of a heatpad.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2385 on: May 02, 2009, 16:08:10 PM »
Hey sweetheart.   :hug:  Sounds like he's overheated a bit, but sounds as though he's calmed down now.  Paddy will sit happily in the sun for hours but when he gets a bit hot he'll move into a shadier spot.  Max can't because he's not sure where he is, but it seems as though you did exactly the right thing and brought his temperature down.   :hug:  Just keep a careful eye on him over the next few hours - as you do anyway.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2384 on: May 02, 2009, 14:16:38 PM »
I'm an idiot. Swampy got taken on the roof in the sun for too long I think. At first he was very happy, tried eating some of OH's lunch (chicken: not eaten for years!) and had a good little walk about. Then lay down and seemed happy in the sunshine. But I went out and sat with him and after nearly an hour out there he was starting to get up, then flop down and I noticed his breathing was fast. So I brought him in, gave him a little meal of wet food with water, then he did drink and he's flopped in his bed although he is now purring.

I hope he will be fine later. I'm wondering just how long is ok to take him into the sun for. Do old cats lose their temp control a bit? Or is it that because he is blind, he can't move into the shade when he feels he needs to so just lies there. I am so upset. He's eaten, drunk and gone to sleep (breathing slower) so I hope he will be fine later. Should I ration it to 1/2 hour do you think? Or take him into the shade after 1/2 hour maybe. I'm a fool.

PS took his temp (he allowed 30 secs or so) 38.6, I wiped him with a cool cloth which he loved (purrs) and now I have the fan on near him. It is only about 20 outside. I'd never plonk him on his towel over lunchtime in summer. He seems ok, but I feel so anxious.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 14:51:28 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2383 on: May 01, 2009, 21:53:49 PM »
Hope you are feeling better by now and can manage some sleep tonight with Swampy and Max :) x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2382 on: May 01, 2009, 19:50:30 PM »
Yes, I hope the catsitter will be fine when she's available - think she's quite busy too. Swampy didn't get on to the roof as I still have a temp so probably not too clever an idea. He is so active today, he's hardly been asleep so I hope he will tonight as I've been up helping or feeding him all afternoon (he's eaten like crazy). I hope this flu has gone tomorrow at least!

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2381 on: May 01, 2009, 16:42:18 PM »
I hope eery one feels better by tomorrow, its going to be nice tomorrow and bankholiday so hopeful Swampy will get some sun.

How didit go with your catsitter, was she any good?

SEnding every one a big  :hug: .x

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2380 on: May 01, 2009, 13:05:51 PM »
 :rofl: Stop it Kate, I have these visions of you and the window!!!  Hope you manage a little sun.  It's been lovely here this morning but has clouded over now.  Hope Swampy stops his snorting soon and can sunbathe for a while without his mummy stuck in the window frame.

Have a lovely day will pm later have been gardening and am shattered!!!!

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2379 on: May 01, 2009, 11:17:04 AM »
 :thanks: bit better today. Swampy's still snorting (making noises I mean) so I think no outside until tomorrow as it's sunny but a bit breezy - plus how I get out and in the window right now could be a challenge! If everything's better this afternoon may try a 10 mins but getting in is harder than getting out and don't want to get stuck!

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2378 on: May 01, 2009, 08:13:17 AM »
Hope you all feel better soon xx

Lovely photo of Charlie crossing his paws MM  :Luv: bless him!
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2377 on: April 30, 2009, 22:34:29 PM »
Pleased you contacted them  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2376 on: April 30, 2009, 21:05:30 PM »
Sorry to hear you and OH are,nt feeling well, i hope you soon feel better and Swampy too :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2375 on: April 30, 2009, 20:10:05 PM »
Oh no sorry to hear you are ill on top of everything else.  Hope you manage some rest and soon feel better.  Hope too that Swampy and Max are ok. xx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2374 on: April 30, 2009, 19:28:21 PM »
I did - thanks. just got to stay home and rest. They won't see any flu patients at the GPs (  :Crazy:) but spoke to me on the phone and told me to cover my mouth when I bark and wipe the door knobs  :-:  !
I need to be better to look after Swampy properly. He is ok today and quite active but a bit coldy. The boys are such a comfort when you aren't feeling so well. Back to bed. I'm just sorry that the days of them curling up next to me when I'm sick are gone as he prefer his heatpad bed and so does Max.

Link to CatChat